Menu

Four most iconic/influential people of the 20th century?

PLEASE RESPOND BEFORE READING ANY REPLIES! UPDATE IN POST 21

Who do you consider to be the top four most influential people of the 20th century? Please just list four names, no reasoning for your choice required (though I know your reasoning would be interesting, I don't want to gather too much info here). Try not to think about it for more than a few minutes.

Trying to help my student eliminate cliche answers in a scholarship contest essay - so taking this survey of the most popular answers. Hoping to avoid naming the same personalities as 100 other applicants, kwim?

FWIW, I will not share the answers with my student, except in hindsight (ie, not fishing for ideas, the work must be strictly the student's!) I already gently suggested that the first choices made in the first draft were likely to be chosen by 75% of the applicants, and recommended further consideration. I love the second draft choices (so far) but kind of wanted to test my thoughts about the first ones. We have had some great discussions so far about the essay being time to shine, to stand out from the others, etc.

Edited by AuntieM

Ronald Reagan

Winston Churchill

JFK

John Paul II

Now that I'm reading the other replies one of my first thoughts was Hitler also but I didn't put him down. I see that I'm not the only one that had that idea.

I accidentally caught a glimpse of the response above mine, but it didn't affect my choices.

Lenin, Woodrow Wilson, FDR, Hitler.

Lenin for his role in the Russian revolution; Wilson for his League of Nations idea; FDR for his economic ideas; and Hitler's killing of millions was certainly very influential and still carries consequences to this day.

Okay, looking at this with 17 respondents - I realize that is a very small sample, but I want to wrap this up -

Here are the names and number of times each was mentioned.

Hitler - 11 times!

four times each - Albert Einstein, Lenin, Ghandi, JFK

three times each - Henry Ford, Winston Churchill, Pope John Paul II, Michael Jackson

twice each - Martin Luther King Jr, Nelson Mandela, Woodrow Wilson, FDR, Stalin, Bill Gates, The Beatles, Mother Theresa, Thomas Edison, Rosa Parks,

Ronald Reagan

one time each - Truman, Lady Di, Johnny Carson, Walt Disney, Marilyn Monroe, Philo Farnsworth, Andy Warhol, Elvis Presley, Sigmund Freud, George Lucas

So... I am not a good statistician, but I think the point is made that some names do tend to pop up with greater frequency. The people ds originally considered were in the top three groups above. The parameters for his paper rule out some of the above, depending how he chooses to interpret the prompt (and that's another kettle of fish!).

It has been a real exercise for me to talk about this paper with him without really talking about the paper, iykwim?!! It's got to be his product, I just want to encourage him to construct it in a way that helps set his apart and reveals what he values, how he would be an asset to this school's program. By this time next week it will be signed, sealed and delivered, thank goodness!

Thanks for responding, everyone!

PLEASE RESPOND BEFORE READING ANY REPLIES! UPDATE IN POST 21

Who do you consider to be the top four most influential people of the 20th century? Please just list four names, no reasoning for your choice required (though I know your reasoning would be interesting, I don't want to gather too much info here). Try not to think about it for more than a few minutes.

Trying to help my student eliminate cliche answers in a scholarship contest essay - so taking this survey of the most popular answers. Hoping to avoid naming the same personalities as 100 other applicants, kwim?

FWIW, I will not share the answers with my student, except in hindsight (ie, not fishing for ideas, the work must be strictly the student's!) I already gently suggested that the first choices made in the first draft were likely to be chosen by 75% of the applicants, and recommended further consideration. I love the second draft choices (so far) but kind of wanted to test my thoughts about the first ones. We have had some great discussions so far about the essay being time to shine, to stand out from the others, etc.

Hitler

Bill Gates

Stalin

Rosa Parks

Now that the "testing period" is over I would love to see a discussion on justification. I certainly understand a Churchill or even a FDR but not a JFK or Oprah. Perhaps I placed too much on the influential and not on the iconic.

Edited by pqr

Now that the "testing period" is over I would love to see a discussion on justification. I certainly understand a Churchill or even a FDR but not a JFK or Oprah. Perhaps I placed too much on the influential and not on the iconic.

I was struck by the iconic nature, and having issues remembering much beyond the last 10-20 years thanks to my children, I went with the first four that popped into my head. They are not necessarily people that have had any influence in my life (well, I think Steve Jobs truly revolutionized life and whether he planned it or not, opened the world to people with special needs), the others, I felt, were iconic and have made an impact at least on American culture. I love many of the answers that others have given and I can see much impact beyond what the four I came up with ... but without really thinking deeply and being drawn by the word iconic, I listed what came to mind. Maybe my choices hint at my being shallow ;) but really, it was a quick moment in time ... my thoughts and knowledge run much deeper than Oprah (I'm not even an Oprah fan). Just my two cents. :D

MyLittleWonders, not shallow!!!!

My point was to check *popularity* so all the answers are good, and I'm certain there are excellent reasons behind each choice. I didn't ask for details originally because I was testing for most common responses rather than reasons behind the choices. Like pqr, I do find the reasons given very interesting.

It's fun to see the continuing responses - how they so often e go one another - I'll count 'em up again at the end of the weekend.

Thanks again, all, for your responses.

I am unsure how you would say anyone is the "most" influential or iconic, if you take out the most common responses. I understand trying to think outside the box, but if someone is supposed to be the most influential, it would stand to reason that many people would agree with that.

It's like having a popularity contest and choosing the least popular person...or maybe I just don't get it. :)

I'm reminded of this book (which pertains to more than the 20th century) --

The 100: A Ranking Of The Most Influential Persons In History by Michael Hart

From Amazon: "A list of the one hundred most influential people in history features descriptions of the careers, contributions, and accomplishments of the political and religious leaders, inventors, writers, artists, and others who changed the course of history."

A local AP World History teacher requires her students to read it while taking her class. It's thought provoking.

Regards,

Kareni

I chose JFK because I had just finished reading about how influential he was in pushing the American space race/age. Also, I have been in African American homes that have some kind of tribute to him on their walls. I would call that iconic. :001_smile:

I chose JFK because I had just finished reading about how influential he was in pushing the American space race/age. Also, I have been in African American homes that have some kind of tribute to him on their walls. I would call that iconic. :001_smile:

I suppose that it goes back to the OP. Iconic and influential may be worlds apart.

I am unsure how you would say anyone is the "most" influential or iconic, if you take out the most common responses. I understand trying to think outside the box, but if someone is supposed to be the most influential, it would stand to reason that many people would agree with that.

It's like having a popularity contest and choosing the least popular person...or maybe I just don't get it. :)

I understand your point! But it's not a game one wins by correctly naming the four true most influential people. It's a contest of sorts in which the most distinguished, memorable, well-reasoned writers win.

If there are a hundred applicants and 60% of them choose the same four people for all the same reasons, those may be accurate, well written papers, but they will merge in the readers' memory. Trying to avoid that!

Of course, it's not a grab for the most obscure people either, requiring a

longshot to justify their selection. That wouldn't be addressing the prompt correctly. If you read all the answers, it's easy to realize there are more than four excellent choices.