Menu

Are you concerned about all of this technology

I've often wondered about this: with all of this technology and SO much information and everything turning digital, what happens if we have some huge solar flare or some kind of weapon that disables all of the technology? I'm not sure the majority of our nation would know how to function..... How would they find information in the age of google and disappearing books?

What about medical care? All of those digital records and so much medical care is using technology now...

Just something I wondered about....

Very concerned. Extremely concerned. Forget all the information that would be lost; if that happened the grid wouldn't survive and we'd have no power at all.

Now is the time to learn how to live without.

Yes, everyone has said they are coming to our house: cows, ponds with fish, generators, wood stoves for heat, land for growing food. I think we would be ok, but I wonder about people in the cities.

oh absolutely!

For medical: I already get copies of every lab I have done, every xray/mammogram/mri, every year I request our medical records from the Drs(and pay for it). It's quite a file but I have our medical records on paper with me.

Dh is most concerned in lack of power not having ability to pay for things. The stores would have to get a calculator :tongue_smilie:, it would require cashiers to know how to make change :glare:, and we would need cash to pay.

It is something to think about. How would you communicate with loved ones? We don't have a landline, my mom doesn't have a landline and is 6 hours by car away. I don't think the gas pumps work without power......

our society would be lost without power.

I've often wondered about this: with all of this technology and SO much information and everything turning digital, what happens if we have some huge solar flare or some kind of weapon that disables all of the technology? I'm not sure the majority of our nation would know how to function..... How would they find information in the age of google and disappearing books?

What about medical care? All of those digital records and so much medical care is using technology now...

Very concerned - but not for the reasons you mention. Google and medical records would be the least of my worries.

My bigger worries would be communication and electric power.

All power suppliers rely on electronic management systems. Powerplants would not work. Transportation systems would not work. Logistics from companies would not work because everything is computer based- the supply chains to supermarkets and gas stations would be interrupted.

Phones, banks, ATMs. Refinieries.

Major trouble.

I'm not really worried about it but I did just tell dh that this possibility is why we have to hold on to all 17 bins of books I have in the garage. When all electronics don't work, books will be a hot commodity - for information and for entertainment.

Expanding on that, we did discuss how we would survive. We don't keep a lot of cash on hand, so that could be a problem. We have a fireplace and access to plenty of wood. We have a well that we could convert to a manual pump. We live on a river that stays a pretty constant cold temperature in the deeper, shady parts (which it is at our property) and could be used to keep things cold in the warmer weather. Our stove is propane and can be manually lit. We have enough space to plant a decent garden when the season is right but little storage space to stock up. We already use a manual can opener and have a ton of camping gear.

I do think a disruption of the power grid lasting for months, if not years, is the most likely "doomsday" scenario.

I recently read a (fictional) book about exactly this scenario. One Second After.

Turns out this is a possibility, with an Electro-magnetic Pulse. The book is not that well written, but it brings up a lot of concerns.

Very concerned - but not for the reasons you mention. Google and medical records would be the least of my worries.

My bigger worries would be communication and electric power.

All power suppliers rely on electronic management systems. Powerplants would not work. Transportation systems would not work. Logistics from companies would not work because everything is computer based- the supply chains to supermarkets and gas stations would be interrupted.

Phones, banks, ATMs. Refinieries.

Major trouble.

:iagree:

We have already had some minor inconveniences with medical records kept electronically. Our old pediatrician used a special tablet setup that ran on a wireless network within the office. We had a couple visits where the power was flickering and none of our files could be accessed. It was mildly annoying. Our current pediatrician (different state) brings a paper file into the room. I don't know if he transfers those records to a computer.

Playing at world-ending scenarios is kind of a game my husband and I play. I guess that description makes it sound a little more gruesome than it really is. Sometimes we talk about what we would need if there was another cascading grid shutdown like in NY and beyond during the summer of 2003. Sometimes we talk dragons or raptors. Other times we do nukes or a nearby train with hazardous material derailing or flooding. We certainly aren't prepared for every potential scenario, but we have put thought into a lot of different possibilities.

I'm not really worried about it but I did just tell dh that this possibility is why we have to hold on to all 17 bins of books I have in the garage. When all electronics don't work, books will be a hot commodity - for information and for entertainment.

Expanding on that, we did discuss how we would survive. We don't keep a lot of cash on hand, so that could be a problem. We have a fireplace and access to plenty of wood. We have a well that we could convert to a manual pump. We live on a river that stays a pretty constant cold temperature in the deeper, shady parts (which it is at our property) and could be used to keep things cold in the warmer weather. Our stove is propane and can be manually lit. We have enough space to plant a decent garden when the season is right but little storage space to stock up. We already use a manual can opener and have a ton of camping gear.

I do think a disruption of the power grid lasting for months, if not years, is the most likely "doomsday" scenario.

Fantastic thinking!

But, do you HAVE the pump? There's the problem for a lot of us; we're thinking and prepared to get what we need once we need it...but if the grid goes down, there's no "getting" anything. Granted, you have the river and can disinfect water from that to drink, so that's a great resource!

Like you, people need to start thinking about contingencies.

I'm a prepper and this is a subject I feel strongly about, which means it's likely to get me into trouble, lol, so....off to work I go!

p.s. One Second After and The Road are both thought-provoking reads indeed!

A lot of people in the north would get very cold in the event of a grid disruption. I don't think the gas/electric would be available, so people without a fireplace or wood stove would be out of luck.

I was reading some interesting recollections by survivors of the Yugoslavian civil war from the 90s. One noted that several of his family members died due to "contaminated water." He had lived in what he called a normal college town. One day all was normal. The next, war had broken out and there were no services, food was gone in a matter of days, and they were stuck in their homes trying to figure out a way to survive. By the end of the war, most had burned every bit of furniture, along with door and window frames, for heat and cooking purposes. And of course the books.

We were worried about having enough books, right?

I've heard Cody Lundin on the radio. He's actually pretty entertaining when talking about survival skills. Out of curiosity I bought his book, When All H*ll Breaks Loose.

As city dwellers I figure we're toast, solar flares or not. But his book is informative and even funny... Barbie doll clothes made from rat pelts are funny, right? :)

I saw a movie like this. The Road.

Very scary.

DH made me promise not to watch it, he watched it while on a business trip with colleagues and said he had to leave, it was too much for him. Of course him saying that has made me want to watch it, but I heven't.... yet.

I recently read a (fictional) book about exactly this scenario. One Second After.

Turns out this is a possibility, with an Electro-magnetic Pulse. The book is not that well written, but it brings up a lot of concerns.

:iagree:It will be an EM pulse that brings us down.

Things will go back to the very basics - land and water. If I think about it too hard I get the itch to buy enough survival food for a year.

Medical records never crossed my mind. I do think about the reduction of medical care whenever I contemplate the technology we have on hand that a large portion of the global population does not and lives (and suffers, and dies) without every day. The books I think about almost daily. I love my Kindle and the convenience "the cloud" but it's all a set up for disaster if you ask me. Call me pessimistic if you will but whether by natural or man-made causes, I see it all coming down some day. I console myself with the thought that I wouldn't be able to carry a thousand books with me anyway.

Meanwhile, I take notes while watching Man Vs Wild on the computer. :lol:

I've heard Cody Lundin on the radio. He's actually pretty entertaining when talking about survival skills. Out of curiosity I bought his book, When All H*ll Breaks Loose.

As city dwellers I figure we're toast, solar flares or not. But his book is informative and even funny... Barbie doll clothes made from rat pelts are funny, right? :)

Great book, he's got another too...98.6, Keeping your A** Alive.

I've read a lot of that sort of information, and have to say Lundin offers some suggestions I've seen nowhere else. And he does entertain at the same time! :)

Using soda bottles on the roof to disinfect water, hanging damp sheets to cool a room, various ways to keep warm in an emergency.

.. oooh .. I want it .. and it's available on Kindle.

:tongue_smilie:

I've thought about it, but technology has been part of the progression of our society. Our defense depends on technology. Without it, I shudder to think what could happen. So I guess we take the bad with the good. I just refuse to become scared of everything and move to a self-sustaining rural life. I would be absolutely miserable. Now, if I was forced into it, I would just have to do what I had to do, but it's not something I want to do voluntarily just because something might happen. There have been people all throughout history that think society will fall but I think we're adaptable. True, many people will have a hard time and many might die in such a castrophic event, but we see that daily in war torn countries. Human suffering isn't new. I'm grateful I live in the society I do. Yes, I take it for granted. I guess if major shut-downs happen, I'll have to eat my words. But there are so many tragedies we see we could have prevented in hindsight. We simply cannot avoid all accidents and tragedies. I don't want to live in a bubble.

I remember the Y2K scare. DH and I thought it was crazy. He worked, and still works, for HP. He handles software crashes in huge computer network systems like hospitals, financial institutions, and even many government institutions. There were preparations for it and things worked out fine. I'd just like to believe that we, in our advanced societies at least, are smart enough that nothing horribly movie inspired catastrophy would happen across the whole board.

I'm always fascinated by these discussions. My question is for those of you who have livestock and foodstuffs and generators, etc. You are obviously prepared to survive for a long time. What will you do when all the unprepared people in the surrounding areas begin descending upon your property in desperation? Won't all of your provisions be wiped out immediately?

I'm reminded of a Twilight Zone episode where a man's friends were mocking him for spending all his spare time building a bomb shelter in his basement and then during dinner a bomb warning was sounded over the radio. All the friends went home in a panic and the man and his family went into the bomb shelter. Within half-an-hour his friends had returned and were pleading with him to let them in. They eventually bashed the door in. It got very ugly. This is what I picture happening if things get very bad...

I'm always fascinated by these discussions. My question is for those of you who have livestock and foodstuffs and generators, etc. You are obviously prepared to survive for a long time. What will you do when all the unprepared people in the surrounding areas begin descending upon your property in desperation? Won't all of your provisions be wiped out immediately?

I'm reminded of a Twilight Zone episode where a man's friends were mocking him for spending all his spare time building a bomb shelter in his basement and then during dinner a bomb warning was sounded over the radio. All the friends went home in a panic and the man and his family went into the bomb shelter. Within half-an-hour his friends had returned and were pleading with him to let them in. They eventually bashed the door in. It got very ugly. This is what I picture happening if things get very bad...

We will all have to make some very, very difficult decisions; and that is the one thing nobody can prepare for. Regardless of your preparation level, you have to consider how much you can share.

For instance, we've got probably six months worth of preps.

I can keep my family of 5 alive, (barring illness, invasion, freak accident, etc.) for about six months. I hope that will get us to the next growing season to start over if the crisis lasts that long.

If 5 more people come (grandparents, an uncle) and stay with us, we can only stay alive for three months.

If more come, or we're robbed, then what?

What about the family from down the street with hungry children who beg us to at least take their children? Do we send them away?

We will all have to make some very, very difficult decisions; and that is the one thing nobody can prepare for. Regardless of your preparation level, you have to consider how much you can share.

For instance, we've got probably six months worth of preps.

I can keep my family of 5 alive, (barring illness, invasion, freak accident, etc.) for about six months. I hope that will get us to the next growing season to start over if the crisis lasts that long.

If 5 more people come (grandparents, an uncle) and stay with us, we can only stay alive for three months.

If more come, or we're robbed, then what?

What about the family from down the street with hungry children who beg us to at least take their children? Do we send them away?

Thank you for responding. I think in these circumstances that most people would share what they could. But I'm referring to the acts of desperate people. When people run out of food and basic necessities and they learn that a family up the road has chickens and dried goods and a freezer full of food will it get ugly? I understand the desire to prepare for our family's survival. But will it all amount to nothing when the looting and rioting begins?

Just thinking out loud. I've always wondered these things when reading conversations about survival preparations.

Whether for a temporary, localized natural disaster or a national/global EMP that would take out all electricity and most electric devices, there are several things you can do to improve your situation.

Stores don't keep much back in the "stock room" these days. So stock up. FEMA and Homeland Security recommend gathering enough nonperishable food and water to last your family for up to two weeks. If you commit to buying $5 extra each week at the store, it will soon add up. Be sure to buy things your family likes and will eat. You can always continue to build your stash if this works out well for you.

Banks and ATM's will shut down. So each week, put another $5 back. And keep it in small bills. Because if you need a $4 item but only have a $20 bill, the store may not be able to make change and you can overpay or do without. Also, if you have a safe area to store it, fill up a couple of 5 gallon gas cans and rotate them when gas prices seem low in your area.

Check your home to see what requires electricity to function. Many people forget that their furnaces have electronic igniters and won't work without power, or that their water has an electronic pump to make the system work.

If anyone in your family requires medicine or special food, be sure to have a good supply on hand in case transportation is impossible or if there is a temporary disruption in the production or processing orders.

Please, please, PLEASE do not plan to use an existing fireplace or woodstove to keep warm if you are not already knowledgeable in its use and have it regularly cleaned and inspected. As we have seen recently, terrible tragedies can come from this. Also, if you plan to burn wood to stay warm, do you have a well seasoned supply? Green wood, or that from trees recently cut, doesn't burn very well and can cause chimney fires. Plan on letting your wood dry for at least 8 months to a year before using.

There are lots of websites devoted to this type of information, some more hard core, zombie apocalypse than others. It is certainly more pleasant to bury one's head in the sand and pretend that no trouble will come. But that is just not an acceptable response if your family is depending on you. Face the possibilities, make a plan, get the things you need, and be ready. Hopefully an EMP will never happen. However, it is quite likely that many reading this will have to deal with extended loss of power due to storms, earthquakes, floods, etc. Deal with it now, while you have the luxury of being able to pick and choose and take time to research. Because when it comes will be too late.

PS: We live in a rural area and deal with extended power outages due to weather fairly often. It is definitely possible to come up with a plan that will allow your family to continue to function well without it.

ETA: One of the best things you can do to keep from being forced to "share" is to be discrete about what you have. Then you have the option to decide when and with whom to share. Regarding people in rural areas, our philosophy is that we will welcome friends and family who show up with as many of their own supplies as possible, wearing work gloves, and willing to pitch in and work hard. Unfortunately, we have no room for those who will not work, we are already planning to support several elderly and disabled relatives who are unable to work. As the Bible says, "If a man will not work, neither shall he eat."

We view our supplies as a stop gap measure to allow us time to transition over to a completely self sufficient lifestyle, if needed. For example, we have not tried to store enough food for multiple years. We have enough seed for several growing seasons, enough guns and ammo to hunt for game, and are continuing to learn more about edible wild forage items. We do have various protective measures in place to discourage thieves and would increase them if times became terribly hard. Would I extend charity to others? Yes, but on my own terms, otherwise it becomes robbery not charity.

Edited by hillfarm

DH is very concerned. We have tons and tons of back stock food. He has the whole closet full of ammo for his guns. We are trying to get more livestock. I have a binder full of recipes for everything from homemade diaper rash ointment to home remedies for illnesses.

What will you do when the desperate, unprepared neighbors come over with their guns and demand food and provisions? I ask this with genuine concern and without snark. :-)

Earlier this year, our area was hit with some nasty tornadoes. We had tornadoes on either side of our home (we live in the country with lots of acreage between houses). A few miles in both directions (on our road) completely destroyed homes and left paths of broken trees that is still a sad reminder.

Miraculously, not even a potted plant tipped over at our house.

Two days later, I decided to drive into town to pick up some milk. I was feeling isolated because cell phones weren't working although we had kept electricity. Our small town (with one large and two small stores) was out of electricity. Something I had never, ever considered was the fact that there might not be food in our town. All refrigerated and frozen items were gone. Instant items - bread, tuna fish and potted meat - were also gone.

I went back home feeling ashamed for not being more grateful. The closest 'food' was an hour away in only one direction (the other direction was hit harder).

It was the closest I had ever been to seeing what could happen if things go bad and it was a bit sobering. I keep a fully stocked pantry of dry goods and an extra freezer of items (chest freezer that would keep frozen longer).

My deepest fear: I take an antidepressant medication that I can't get off because I have such severe withdrawal symptoms. I literally thought I was going to die when trying to get off it (yes, doctor assisted, all done correctly). If I skip a day, I am sick-sick-sick by the next day.

WHAT IF I CAN'T GET MY MEDICINE???!!!???

I keep an extra 3 month supply, but that won't be enough if the "stuff" hits the fan...

What will you do when the desperate, unprepared neighbors come over with their guns and demand food and provisions? I ask this with genuine concern and without snark. :-)

This is a question that prudent people do not answer honestly or fully on an online or public forum.

Suffice it to say, if my stored food and supplies were all that was standing between my family and sure death, I would not surrender them easily. Most of my rural neighbors already stock up or have close family who do. As I mentioned, we are already well familiar with extended power outages, so most out here already have a plan that they have used multiple times.

In most rural areas, thieves with guns realize that the homes they plan to rob are inhabited by other people with guns-who are intent on protecting themselves. In an emergency situation, it is unlikely that they would be permitted to approach close enough to demand much of anything.

But as I mentioned before, the best method of protection is to be unseen. Don't flaunt the supplies you have, now or later. Secondly, don't store all your eggs in one basket-keep your supplies spread over multiple locations so that if one gets robbed, you will still have the rest. Third, know how to discourage thieves. (There are plenty of websites where this is more openly discussed, but it seems wise not to go into detail here. PM me if you are curious about other sites.)

My deepest fear: I take an antidepressant medication that I can't get off because I have such severe withdrawal symptoms. I literally thought I was going to die when trying to get off it (yes, doctor assisted, all done correctly). If I skip a day, I am sick-sick-sick by the next day.

WHAT IF I CAN'T GET MY MEDICINE???!!!???

I keep an extra 3 month supply, but that won't be enough if the "stuff" hits the fan...

cp, I mentioned this site the other day. It's in India, the medications are very inexpensive and don't require a prescription. We've stockpiled (and used successfully) inhalers, allergy medications, antibiotics, etc. with no problems whatsoever.

They have a flat $25 shipping fee, regardless of how much you buy. They do not, however, carry any controlled substances so...depending on your medication it might be helpful: www.alldaychemist.com

Keep your own records. In paper.

I've been hearing for awhile how the next terrorist attack will be to take out all of our technology like this, somehow. Who knows?

Thank you for responding. I think in these circumstances that most people would share what they could. But I'm referring to the acts of desperate people. When people run out of food and basic necessities and they learn that a family up the road has chickens and dried goods and a freezer full of food will it get ugly? I understand the desire to prepare for our family's survival. But will it all amount to nothing when the looting and rioting begins?

Just thinking out loud. I've always wondered these things when reading conversations about survival preparations.

This is where I come to: the people with the biggest guns and the least scruples survive--or people in the most remote areas. So since we don't live in a remote area, I can stock up all I want, but if it's catastrophic, unless I'm willing to kill people and am better at it than they are, then it hasn't done much good, eh? On the other hand, communities that band together and share are going to be better off. The only preparation for catastrophe that cannot be taken from you is knowledge and spiritual preparation. "Stuff" can always be taken by the people with the bigger guns.

This is where I come to: the people with the biggest guns and the least scruples survive--or people in the most remote areas. So since we don't live in a remote area, I can stock up all I want, but if it's catastrophic, unless I'm willing to kill people and am better at it than they are, then it hasn't done much good, eh? On the other hand, communities that band together and share are going to be better off. The only preparation for catastrophe that cannot be taken from you is knowledge and spiritual preparation. "Stuff" can always be taken by the people with the bigger guns.

Although I don't share your view point, I can see where you are coming from. However, don't neglect to stock up just because of this line of thinking.

It is much more likely that your area will experience a temporary weather emergency situation than an end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it one. In the former situation, it is unlikely that you will have to fight off armed robbers, but quite likely that your family will suffer at least some level of disruption or trouble unless you have done some basic planning.

Think about the most likely weather related problems for your area (or floods, quakes, etc.). Could transportation be shut down? Could your area lose power? If you have no plan and the situation is severe enough, then you will likely be relocated to an area emergency shelter - with a few thousand others.

I have worked in emergency shelters and can tell you first hand that while they are a God-send to those in need, they are neither comfortable or pleasant. They are intended to be an option of last resort. It can be extremely difficult to obtain any specialty items, such as medicines or special dietary needs, depending on the nature of the emergency and how it has affected transportation.

It is fine if you have decided not to prep against the zombie masses. However, a couple of week's worth of supplies could mean a great deal to your family in a less catastrophic situation, which is much more likely to be the one you would actually face. You can always turn over your supplies without argument to the big gun people in the unlikely event that such a problem ever comes to pass.

cp, I mentioned this site the other day. It's in India, the medications are very inexpensive and don't require a prescription. We've stockpiled (and used successfully) inhalers, allergy medications, antibiotics, etc. with no problems whatsoever.

They have a flat $25 shipping fee, regardless of how much you buy. They do not, however, carry any controlled substances so...depending on your medication it might be helpful: www.alldaychemist.com

I checked that site. It said a prescription was needed for prescription drugs.

I'm also going to add here that I am so glad we have a wonderful set of neighbors. You never know how someone will truly react in a disaster, but in all of the events we have had here so far, our neighbors have been kind, generous, prepared, level-headed, and hardworking. I don't take that lightly. It seems like most people either don't know their neighbors, or actively try to avoid them because of prior incidents.

I personally worry a lot about people who aren't prepared for even short term events. A transformer blew up the road two days ago. It was right around freezing outside, and the temperature inside these old uninsulated houses can drop quickly. I know a lot of people who would have needed to leave their homes for this very temporary event. It isn't a big deal if you have family nearby to stay with who is unaffected and will have you, but what if they are also in the dark or in a different part of the country?

What about people who have equipment, but don't know how to use it safely? Every time we have a bad storm, I hear tragic stories of families who put their generator in their garage and left it running. Or, as mentioned, people try to use a fireplace that hasn't been touched in decades.

When you see a lot of people have trouble managing a short-term interruption where a very limited area is affected, you become concerned about widespread events of any duration.

Although I don't share your view point, I can see where you are coming from. However, don't neglect to stock up just because of this line of thinking.

It is much more likely that your area will experience a temporary weather emergency situation than an end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it one. In the former situation, it is unlikely that you will have to fight off armed robbers, but quite likely that your family will suffer at least some level of disruption or trouble unless you have done some basic planning.

Think about the most likely weather related problems for your area (or floods, quakes, etc.). Could transportation be shut down? Could your area lose power? If you have no plan and the situation is severe enough, then you will likely be relocated to an area emergency shelter - with a few thousand others.

I have worked in emergency shelters and can tell you first hand that while they are a God-send to those in need, they are neither comfortable or pleasant. They

are intended to be an option of last resort. It can be extremely difficult to obtain any specialty items, such as medicines or special dietary needs, depending on the nature of the emergency and how it has affected transportation.

It is fine if you have decided not to prep against the zombie masses. However, a couple of week's worth of supplies could mean a great deal to your family in a less catastrophic situation, which is much more likely to be the one you would actually face. You can always turn over your supplies without

argument to the big gun people in the unlikely event that such a problem ever comes to pass.

:iagree:

There have been two times that I was woefully unprepared and left kicking myself over it.

The first was following Katrina. All of a sudden I discovered that disposable

diapers were next to impossible to find and was so thankful that I had a two week window to figure out what to do. (I had one in pull-ups and two in diapers at the time.) As it was I had to go two weeks on a 1/2 tank b/c the gas station jacked the prices so high, we ran out of milk, bread, and, oddly enough, laundry detergent before the stores were really restocked. That experience completely changed the way I look at emergency prep. Even though we didn't get so much as one drop of rain from the hurricane, we had a huge influx of evacuees and the supplies ran out. After Rita it was worse because we still had most of the Katrina folks in town, plus we got a huge storm from Rita that knocked down tons of trees and powerlines.

The second was a few years back when DS4 was only 14mo. All of the kids and i came down with a stomach bug within 3 hours of each other. When DH left for work one of the kids was complaining of an upset tummy and by lunch i was begging him to come home. I was so weak that i was just throwing old towels over the vomit (two of the kids were too little to use buckets) and two rounds of children's motrin and the bottle was empty. DH came home to no medicine, insufficent cleaning supplies, and everyone running a 100 degree or higher temp. If the poor guy hadn't called my mom and begged her to make a mercy supply drop I do not know how he would have taken care of us all. He came down with it the next day, and our entire family was sick for three more days. Needless to say, I have emergency illness supplies now as well.

And this thread has been a good reminder that my emergency supplies need to be rotated, so thank y'all for helping me round out my 2012 goals with some emergency prep! :001_smile:

Depending on your religious orientation, you might want to try some of the LDS sites. They believe in keeping a year's supply, and have some great resources and calculators that help to determine what you need and how much.

However, you can also just keep a list of your boxed/canned meals that your family currently enjoys and just buy enough of them to last two weeks. Then add in things like toilet paper, diapers, or other daily supplies that you need to keep on hand. I believe that FEMA recommends 1 gal of water per person per day. You can buy the large storage bottles or you can disinfect 2 liter soft drink bottles and store your water in them.

Here are some sites to start with, but be careful not to get overwhelmed. You do not have to get 24 months worth of goods in place right away! Start with planning for a 3 day emergency, then boost it up to 1 week, then 2. From there you can decide whether to stop or to make it a lifestyle.

http://www.thefoodguys.com/foodcalc.html LDS food calculator and inventory info, there are lots of sites like this. Google if you need more

http://www.ready.gov/are-you-ready-guide This is the official FEMA and Homeland Security site with the recommended minimums. Be sure to tweak the lists to suit your family members and locality

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11 This one tends to be a bit more intense, but has lots of very good information and you can ask questions. Check the archive for info on getting started.

You can find lots more by searching "preparedness forums online".

I checked that site. It said a prescription was needed for prescription drugs.

That's not the case, as far as I know...maybe they say that for certain drugs, or just to cover themselves? I haven't seen that statement on their site. I know there is a button on there somewhere to click if you have a prescription.

I have placed multiple orders and have just last week placed an order restocking antibiotics, inhalers, and arthritis medication with no prescription.

As mentioned, I've been very happy with them. Once in a while I hit a snag with my credit card, which raises a red flag for a company in India but after I authorize it with the bank it's fine.

It’s certainly something we’ve thought about. It’s taken a year and a half since we first decided to do something about it to get to a place where we would be able to survive long term if the system went down.

We pull our water from springs and a river, have hydro power, have chickens and cows for meat/ milk/ eggs, and have gardens going. We also have about 4 months of dried beans/ rice stored up at all times. We live in an area that once the rainy season starts we can not drive down to a town so we need food storage. That 4 months of rice/ beans would get us through until the harvest started coming in better. We currently have a few acres of rice and beans planted so hope to keep that going and keep a food surplus. We also have an outdoor cooking area (literally a hole in the ground w/ two concrete blocks holding up a grate that we stick pots/ pans on) that we use often to save the gas our stove and dryer run off and are buying a cast iron stove to use instead soon.

The issue with having things you COULD do if you had no electronics/ power is that it would then be something you could HAVE done. If it goes you can no longer get any more money than the cash you have in your home, your car will not start, your electric can opener will not function. Your stove and fridge will not turn on, your lights won’t work. I know some people who would literally starve to death in 2 weeks.

I don’t actually think this will happen in our lifetime.. but it is a possibility. I like knowing that in the off chance something DID happen we’d be okay. It’s not actually why we moved here.. we moved just because we sat down and realized we had no CLUE how to survive without help from cars and stores and we didn’t want to raise our children that way.. but it’s nice to know that in the event of a EMP we’d be fine.

So how would one go about preparing to stockpile their supplies? What foods to keep? What supplies? Websites that elaborate on this are what I'm looking for! thanks

http://thesurvivalmom.com/ is a fun site!

And this book is a good, gentle, mainstream introduction to preparedness. It's not all survival-y and crazy sounding:

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Case-Self-Sufficient-Unexpected-Happens/dp/1603420355/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325193701&sr=8-1

Coincidentally I was just getting ready to post a thread about stockpile levels.

So, to answer the question, yes I have thought about it but I don't let that thought consume me. I've been working on building a 1yr stockpile of food for a good while now and hope to have it done by June this year. Most things I do already have to that level already. We've tried to move to more self-sufficiency but there is always a question of prioritizing as there are only so many hrs in the day and dh works a lot as it is. We have rabbits as it is and I desperately hope to add chickens and bees next year. Right now we are finishing out the basement which is our safe room. The temp is much more stable there and we have a back-up gas heater as well and propane generator.

We have contigencies in place for water and cooking and various other things. Certainly not to the level of others but it is a work in progress. We have a lot more projects on the to-do list as well but that is nothing new.

This blog has links to a lot of other preparedness sites, including one for urban dwellers.

Survival Blogs

One good preparedness item that I hadn't given much thought to is GRAVY. It makes a lot of the so-so dried foods taste a lot better!

We are so used to the civilized life that it's hard to picture it disappearing, even temporarily. However, three essential pillars of that civilized life are the electrical grid, transportation and the monetary system. If any one of the three goes down, they all go down. So having a month or two of supplies is a great idea.

Something that the Yugoslavian guy said was more valuable than food: wipes and sanitizers. Food you could kill, trap, grow, barter for. The wipes were like gold. Also he mentioned matches/lighters, since no one had enough fuel to keep fires constantly going.