Menu

Aaarrgh - DH only wants to buy 'real' gifts

First, my dh is a wonderful guy with great taste. I actually ask and appreciate his opinion on clothes, accessories, etc.

Somewhere along the line he has been brainwashed that practical things are not 'real gifts'. I have heard his aunts say things like never give appliances or tell stories about husbands that gave their wives a vacuum cleaner and were told to sleep on the couch. :glare:

Every year I write my wish list (I try to get everyone to make one), I put down what I want but would not buy for myself. My list includes a really good coffee maker (mine is a cheapo), some nice pans from Williams Sonoma, a pound of red wigglers for the new worm bin I am adding to my garden, a lush set of extra large towels for the master bathroon.

He says these are not 'real' gifts. He wants to give me 'nice' things. :confused: I tell him these are nice things, better versions of the everyday stuff I would normally buy. It would not normally bother me, I love whatever he picks (see above mention of his good taste), but right now money is tight. I don't want him to spend the discretionary spending on non-essentials when I would be happier with everyday luxuries.

Sorry, I guess this is just a vent. Gifts are about what the giver enjoys giving as well as what the receiver enjoys. I really do believe that the gifts are not the point of the celebration.

Just... really, really, when someone tells you 'this is what I want' listen to them.

hmmm...that probably applies to things other than Christmas gifts. :lol:

I can see where you are coming from and also his point. Can you frame your gift list in terms of yourself and how it would benefit you? And how you would never get them otherwise?

My dh asks for gifts that I know he is planning on buying anyways. I tell him that I will not buy him those sorts of gifts as I like to surprise him with things he wants but probably won't buy. That is why I understand what your husband is saying. The big difference is the things my dh asked for he WILL buy on his own and they are things he is planning on getting anyways.

First, my dh is a wonderful guy with great taste. I actually ask and appreciate his opinion on clothes, accessories, etc.

Somewhere along the line he has been brainwashed that practical things are not 'real gifts'. I have heard his aunts say things like never give appliances or tell stories about husbands that gave their wives a vacuum cleaner and were told to sleep on the couch. :glare:

Every year I write my wish list (I try to get everyone to make one), I put down what I want but would not buy for myself. My list includes a really good coffee maker (mine is a cheapo), some nice pans from Williams Sonoma, a pound of red wigglers for the new worm bin I am adding to my garden, a lush set of extra large towels for the master bathroon.

He says these are not 'real' gifts. He wants to give me 'nice' things. :confused: I tell him these are nice things, better versions of the everyday stuff I would normally buy. It would not normally bother me, I love whatever he picks (see above mention of his good taste), but right now money is tight. I don't want him to spend the discretionary spending on non-essentials when I would be happier with everyday luxuries.

Sorry, I guess this is just a vent. Gifts are about what the giver enjoys giving as well as what the receiver enjoys. I really do believe that the gifts are not the point of the celebration.

Just... really, really, when someone tells you 'this is what I want' listen to them.

hmmm...that probably applies to things other than Christmas gifts. :lol:

I totally get it! My dh wants to get me fun stuff, too, instead of the practical things I love. Most of the time he does get me the practical items, but he enjoys giving fun stuff more.

I think they think we are their queens. :D

My cousin's dh bought her a car for Christmas. She was furious as she does the bills and money and they absolutely could not afford it. I would be flattered and loving about it, but she was seriously ticked.

:grouphug::grouphug: Can you tell him if he buys you diamond earrings, he really WILL be sleeping on the couch? :tongue_smilie:

Thanks, this made me laugh. :lol::lol:

I think I have may have talked him into getting me an iphone which is practical (and waaaaay better than my current cellphone) and is apparently still a 'gift'.

I agree...practical items can be gifts!

Some of my most beloved gifts are practical! Every time I use one of my lovely kitchen knives I think of my late mom. When I use my glass mixing bowls I think of the dear friend who gave them to me. The list goes on and on.

that is exactly what I meant!

BTW, I love your ducky avatar, so cute.

You know what I hate getting? Flowers, jewelry, perfume, and body lotions. I don't use any of these things. And flowers, it's like "here's a bunch of dead things you can stick in a vase and watch wilt in a couple of days". Who ever thought that was a good idea? A plant wouldn't be bad, at least it's not already dead.

I laughed so hard at that, ha.

Yes, but flowers, jewelry etc are our societal expectations for romance. I just steer him to the candy portion of the standard romantic gestures. Starbucks and chocolate are extremely practical. :lol::lol:

Thanks, this made me laugh. :lol::lol:

I think I have may have talked him into getting me an iphone which is practical (and waaaaay better than my current cellphone) and is apparently still a 'gift'.

I love my iphone. That was supposed to be my Christmas gift but I got it in Oct. because of the incredible deals (only cost $50). So because I got it so early it can't be my Christmas gift. LOL Oh, technicalities. I hope you love your iphone as much as I do. I use the calendar and other apps for everything.

Women are so funny about what is and isn't a "real" gift...

I love to cook, but would hate to receive pans as a gift. A vacuum? No way. That is a household need. The year my DH bought me a set of camping pans, I think he did sleep on the couch a few nights. (I camp to get away from household chores, not to cook!) Towels? Again, a household need.

Flowers in a vase? Ugh. Flowers with the roots still attached? Lovely!

But red wigglers? What a wonderful gift! A truckload of mulch? Heavenly! I would love to get a nice pair of leather garden gloves for Christmas, but know DH could not pick them out. I did ask for new pruners this year. And I always ask for birdseed, but DH sees that as a "household need," thus not a "real" gift.

:grouphug::grouphug: Can you tell him if he buys you diamond earrings, he really WILL be sleeping on the couch? :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

I blame the media. Why must relationships between men and women be so stereotyped all the time so that this idea of the man being too practical and the woman being all gooey romantic has warped our minds. One year dh's gift to me was a giant Le Crueset pot and anyone who thinks that wasn't more gorgeous than shiny earrings is out of their minds!

ETA: One of the biggest fights dh and I ever had was about how I felt like he was spending too much (which is to say anything) sending me flowers every year at Valentine's Day, etc. I told him year after year to stop and finally one year he did it and money was tight and I just burst into tears and screamed at him about what a waste. I was like, why couldn't you just stop at the store and get me some for a quarter of the price? He was ticked off for a couple of days, but he did finally stop. And he's over it now, thank goodness.

Edited by farrarwilliams

:lol:

I blame the media. Why must relationships between men and women be so stereotyped all the time so that this idea of the man being too practical and the woman being all gooey romantic has warped our minds. One year dh's gift to me was a giant Le Crueset pot and anyone who thinks that wasn't more gorgeous than shiny earrings is out of their minds!

And the stuff you can make in it!! What color did you get?? :D

I can see where you are coming from and also his point. Can you frame your gift list in terms of yourself and how it would benefit you? And how you would never get them otherwise?

My dh asks for gifts that I know he is planning on buying anyways. I tell him that I will not buy him those sorts of gifts as I like to surprise him with things he wants but probably won't buy. That is why I understand what your husband is saying. The big difference is the things my dh asked for he WILL buy on his own and they are things he is planning on getting anyways.

I have tried. He does try to balance the practical and the 'real' gifts.

But when I say "yes I have pans but I would not buy myself 'fancy' pans" he just looks confused. I think he thinks I should just buy the good stuff in the first place. Of course, he has never shopping in Williams Sonoma so maybe he doesn't understand the price difference. :lol:

I have a battle of gift-giving pet peeves going on with my mother. I like to get what people want and will use and appreciate. Period. At least give me a clue. My mother thinks buying something someone has directly expressed that they want is no fun because it is not a surprise. :rolleyes:

I almost never like her gifts. That sounds terrible, I know. But she'll come visit and see me in my comfy flannel pant and t-shirt jammies and think I need jammies because mine don't suit her. So she'll surprise me with new jammies that she deems more suitable and they go to waste until they go to charity. I personally think it's the thought that counts only so far as the person giving the gift has actually given some thought to what the recipient would enjoy...from the recipient's perspective, not from the giver's perspective. One day maybe she'll say to herself, "Kristina really seems to like those flannel pajama pants. Hey look, Grinch ones. She loves the Grinch AND she loves flannel pajama pants. Score!" I'm dreaming though...

On the flipside, I ask what she wants and she says, "Surprise me. You know me. I like everything." I try and try but she apparently wants the magical perfect gift that doesn't seem to exist except in her own imagination. She is dissatisfied unless she feels someone has put hours of thought into what to get her but she is just mysterious enough about what she might truly want or need that no one is able to hit the sweet spot. Sigh. This sounds like a really ugly rant, I know. Years and years and years of us trying and failing. Gifts are apparently her love language and so I keep trying, at least letting her know I'm thinking about it.

Anyway, OP, I can relate.

It's the limey green one. It's so purdy. And there have been many fine soups, stews and pot roasts made inside it.

My mother broke my flame-colored fish pot from Le Cruset by lifting it when I asked her NOT to because it was so heavy. She dropped it on the concrete floor.

I hid behind the car because I was so upset. DH gave me a new one yesterday and I almost passed out with delight. I'm making a shrimp bisque in it right now. I need a new Dutch oven and I think I'm going to go with that cobalt blue. I love the rainbow effect and I have some Le Cruset from 15 years ago in that pale yellow. I love the limey green too though!

Interesting topic. The way I was raised, you buy practical things as you need them, and gifts are special things that are more precious. I was even taught an engagement ring as a Christmas present is being cheap by combining too separate occasions. Now reading these boards had taught me a few things...like, not everyone runs out and buys things as they are needed, for whatever reason - financial or otherwise. Also I believe we are in the minority on this one - but we don't give the kids needs as gifts, either. As in, I wouldn't wrap up tomorrow's dinner ingredients and present them as a gift, and to me, wrapping needed clothes or school supplies feels the same. I have been startled by just how diff we appatently are on that one. I don't gift books or lessons, either...they are just part of normal school expectations. Funny how reading about others opens one's eyes! ...Anyway...all that said, if you WANT more practical needs, then that's where his focus should go.

Well, ya know, typically a good set of camping pans nests, an attribute that should never be underrated. It is very much appreciated when playing van-loading Tetris.
Oh, yes. This set nests. And has a removable handle and a handy-dandy strap to hold it all together. Camping pans with all the bells and whistles.

Still. Camping pans. Like I don't cook enough at home. :tongue_smilie:

Some things are gift material. Other things - no.

ETA: One of the biggest fights dh and I ever had was about how I felt like he was spending too much (which is to say anything) sending me flowers every year at Valentine's Day, etc. I told him year after year to stop and finally one year he did it and money was tight and I just burst into tears and screamed at him about what a waste. I was like, why couldn't you just stop at the store and get me some for a quarter of the price? He was ticked off for a couple of days, but he did finally stop. And he's over it now, thank goodness.

:lol: I have restricted DH from buying flowers for Valentine's Day or Mother's Day. He is allowed to buy them for my birthday (unless it falls too close to Easter ;)) and our anniversary. They mark them up too much.

Oh, yes. This set nests. And has a removable handle and a handy-dandy strap to hold it all together. Camping pans with all the bells and whistles.

Still. Camping pans. Like I don't cook enough at home. :tongue_smilie:

Some things are gift material. Other things - no.

:lol: Yeah, most of the camp cooking is done by DH here. Most of the packing is done by me. Camping pans would be a win-win for both of us. (But since I'm a psycho review reader, that's not something he'd buy anyway.)

My mother broke my flame-colored fish pot from Le Cruset by lifting it when I asked her NOT to because it was so heavy. She dropped it on the concrete floor.

I hid behind the car because I was so upset. DH gave me a new one yesterday and I almost passed out with delight. I'm making a shrimp bisque in it right now. I need a new Dutch oven and I think I'm going to go with that cobalt blue. I love the rainbow effect and I have some Le Cruset from 15 years ago in that pale yellow. I love the limey green too though!

Okay...I've never heard of these pots, but I am intrigued....tell me more. :001_smile:

Last year the best Christmas present I got was from my mom. It was a Shark pocket steam mop. LOVE it. lol

We don't have a ton of money and most years, DH and I dont' even exchange gifts for any holiday, Christmas, anniversary, etc., so I am all for practical things as gifts.

I don't enjoy housewares as gifts, unless I specifically ask for them.

I warned Wolf our first Christmas together. I do not want a 'work item' as my gift. Pots, pans, vaccuum cleaners...all of that goes to my 'work' and taking care of my family. Not what I'd consider a gift, any more than he'd appreciate getting a landscaping tool for his work.

If I specifically ask, fine...but not as a 'surprise'.

Mind you, it's also coloured by the fact that our budget isn't large, so if he got me house something or other, it'd likely be the *only* thing I got. Call me selfish, but I'd like something that's meant just for me to enjoy, not that's used for the whole family's benefit :tongue_smilie:

Interesting topic. The way I was raised, you buy practical things as you need them, and gifts are special things that are more precious. I was even taught an engagement ring as a Christmas present is being cheap by combining too separate occasions. Now reading these boards had taught me a few things...like, not everyone runs out and buys things as they are needed, for whatever reason - financial or otherwise. Also I believe we are in the minority on this one - but we don't give the kids needs as gifts, either. As in, I wouldn't wrap up tomorrow's dinner ingredients and present them as a gift, and to me, wrapping needed clothes or school supplies feels the same. I have been startled by just how diff we appatently are on that one. I don't gift books or lessons, either...they are just part of normal school expectations. Funny how reading about others opens one's eyes! ...Anyway...all that said, if you WANT more practical needs, then that's where his focus should go.

This board is always a peek into other worlds isn't it. :001_smile: I can't tell you how much I have learned from these ladies. ETA ... and gentlemen, I always pay attention when Spy Car posts.

Imp, you're post made me laugh because I do not allow DH to buy me surprise gifts anymore. The microwave grilled cheese sandwich maker for my 30th birthday put and en to THAT for all eternity in my house. :D

Imagine a white plastic panini type thing that you were supposed to slather with OIL, not butter which, then turns the bread into a sopping wet mess and explodes the cheese all over the microwave.

And I like a grilled cheese sandwich I guess but I've never had a passion for it. I thought it was a gag gift at first. :lol:

Imp, you're post made me laugh because I do not allow DH to buy me surprise gifts anymore. The microwave grilled cheese sandwich maker for my 30th birthday put and en to THAT for all eternity in my house. :D

Imagine a white plastic panini type thing that you were supposed to slather with OIL, not butter which, then turns the bread into a sopping wet mess and explodes the cheese all over the microwave.

And I like a grilled cheese sandwich I guess but I've never had a passion for it. I thought it was a gag gift at first. :lol:

Oh MY! That is baaaaaaad! :lol:

DH used to ask me for ideas and I would make him a list of 20 or so things (enough to pick from and still be surprised, not knowing which ones he had chosen), just generic enough that he could add his own twist and taste but just specific enough that I wouldn't get a microwave grilled cheese maker. :tongue_smilie:

Oh MY! That is baaaaaaad! :lol:

DH used to ask me for ideas and I would make him a list of 20 or so things, just generic enough that he could add his own twist and taste but just specific enough that I wouldn't get a microwave grilled cheese maker. :tongue_smilie:

To this day, I have no idea what he was thinking. It's bad enough he didn't make dinner reservations anywhere because he thought I'd be "depressed" about turning 30. But then he handed me this crappy "gift" and it took me forever to believe he wasn't teasing me. I just couldn't believe he was that much of a jerk. :lol::lol:

And he really isn't a jerk. But he is the world's WORST gift giver. Thank goodness we don't have cable or he'd give me one of those fleece snuggie things with the whole in the seat for an Xmas present. :D:D

See to me there is a difference between giving something they would have been buying anyways and something that is practical that they may have not been able or would have purchased otherwise. Such as I don't give my kids regular clothes or socks for Christmas, but I would buy them a character shirt they wanted. I wouldn't want my dh to buy me soap or toilet paper but I would like nice fluffy towels or a nice coffee maker. I think it really depends on the person and if someone is really asking for something it shouldn't matter if it is a blender or a diamond necklace. FWIW I don't give my kids school books for Christmas either although I have teased them I would.

Perhaps I should explain 'surprise gifts'.

I give him a bunch of ideas. I don't just let him twist in the wind :lol:

For example, this year I admitted that I really DO want a hippo for Christmas. And a Garth Brooks cd. And titles of some books I'd love to have, etc, etc.

I give him enough ideas that whatever he gets me, I'll be surprised w/.

Occasionally, he goes off on his own tangent. Like last year, he decided I needed a new 'nice coat'. *sigh* The coat isn't bad, but it's this chocolate brown colour...I loathe brown. Completely, totally, and utterly. All shades. I think I look like a walking turd in it. I'm hoping the coat will die, so I can replace it w/a red wool one one day.

W/my luck, it'll last a decade or more. :tongue_smilie:

You know what I hate getting? Flowers, jewelry, perfume, and body lotions. I don't use any of these things. And flowers, it's like "here's a bunch of dead things you can stick in a vase and watch wilt in a couple of days". Who ever thought that was a good idea? A plant wouldn't be bad, at least it's not already dead.

I like the flowers.

But I only use one particular type of perfume.

Body lotions, shower gels????? they make me itch. I don't care if they were on sale. They still make me itch! I have told certain family members this before. They still don't get it.

I've gotten to where I pour the shower gel into a pump and use it at the sink for hand soap.

I agree about the flowers. I never understand why anyone would want money to spend on them.

And it's so hard not to look ungrateful when receiving that Traditional Gift Everybody Wants when you really do hate it. I still feel guilty about my inadequate poker face when my lovely SIL gave us a fancy crystal vase as a wedding gift. We'd asked for a tool set, but she deemed that "not a real wedding present" and gave us the terribly expensive vase, instead. I know she meant well, but I hate that vase, both because I find it ugly and because it makes me feel small every time I look at it, shoved to the back of the cupboard.

I think I'd have preferred the microwave grilled cheese maker.

I don't necessarily care if the gift is practical or not.

For that matter, I'm content getting nothing whatsoever.

However, I hate when people make a big deal of getting me what only they want me to have.

For example, I have a long list of needs or wants I be thrilled to get, but none of them qualify as "real gifts" to the giver bc in reality the giver has decided they are want me to have X. It isn't about what I want. It's about what they want me to want. Whatever. I took me decades to just resign myself to having a pile of stuff to donate or throw away.

There is nothing that pleases me more than having quality tools for the job whether it's a hair appliance, a cooking tool, a fluffy towel, or even a vacuum cleaner. They are little luxuries I can enjoy daily; they make my life a little happier. I own no real jewelry other than my engagement and wedding rings and that's the way I like it.

And it's so hard not to look ungrateful when receiving that Traditional Gift Everybody Wants when you really do hate it. I still feel guilty about my inadequate poker face when my lovely SIL gave us a fancy crystal vase as a wedding gift. We'd asked for a tool set, but she deemed that "not a real wedding present" and gave us the terribly expensive vase, instead. I know she meant well, but I hate that vase, both because I find it ugly and because it makes me feel small every time I look at it, shoved to the back of the cupboard.

I think I'd have preferred the microwave grilled cheese maker.[/QUOTE]

You guys are killing me. :lol::lol: I will think about microwave grilled cheese makers and not pitted olives on Christmas morning. :lol:

I agree about the vase, I received some lovely things when I got married that have never been out of the box. 33 years later and I still have a very nice boxed things in the garage that simply pile me full of guilt.

I would trade them for a fancy raised garden beds in a minute. They were from my dh's family so we will drag them around until my girls inherit them and give them away. :lol::lol:

We use to make a stop at goodwill on the way home from DH family Christmas every year. I am not a small woman. I am 5'7" and was a size 20 at the time. For about 3 years in a row, I got a turtleneck and sweater. In a size medium. Won't even cover my right arm, tyvm. They never got the hint of gift cards, which is what they got EVERY year. Yeah.

I prefer practical gifts. DW gave me a nail gun for Christmas. I hope my mom is getting me a Kitchenaid Mixer. I'm SUPER excited. If she'd bought me diamonds I would have thought "but we could have spent this money on something that would actually make life more pleasant or fun!!". Which for me would be tools or kitchen equipment. Or babysitters. Thankfully DW is totally on board about this.

That said, EVERY single Christmas and birthday, her coworkers (all men) chat about what they're getting their wives (jewelery, coach purses, etc) and when she says she's getting me a Wok (Birthday 3 years ago) or a really nice knife (Christmas 2 years ago) they always tease her that she's going to be "in the doghouse" over it. Funny how I've never been upset by one of her gifts. Probably because she actually LISTENS and gets me what I WANT instead of what society and her coworkers think I should want. :-D

ETA: Part of the point though is that she gets me stuff that I wouldn't have just bought for myself. Like she's not going to get me a box of pasta and bread, I buy those normally. She won't get me a vacuum this year because I'm happy with the one I have. But I want to build some bookshelves and a nailer will make that job MUCH easier and more fun for me. I probably wouldn't have bought it because it's expensive, and I can use a hammer after all...but the nailer will make my life easier, which makes it a great present to me!!

Edited by AdventureMoms

Best, most treasured, happy making gifts I've ever received: a full set of Wusthof knives (over several years), the drill my husband got me for my birthday 14 years ago, an awesome Wahl clippers (which I clearly don't use for my personal grooming).

I use and love the knives daily. The others are more occasional use, but are lovely tools I greatly appreciate when I need them.

Other stuff is just "stuff".