Menu

Customer Service RANT

It's so shocking to me when a company just clearly does.not.care in this economy. And it's weird to me that the one that is so GIANT they cannot possible care, really does.

I did some Amazon ordering today and needed stuff shipped to different places. Instead of just creating new orders, like I should have done... I ended up screwing everything up. The 2 year old was getting a couple of blurays... the 16 year old was getting a ball run, etc. I royally messed it up. I was dreading calling Amazon - heck I didn't even know you could call Amazon, but I found the number. I had ZERO hold time. The CS rep asked me to pull up my account at the same time so I could double check everything and make sure he didn't mess it up, and at the end he apologized for the system being hard to use. He apologized when I screwed up. I hung up vowing to buy Amazon Prime until I hit the grave. :lol:

The second company I needed to deal with was a DISASTER. DS loves that Young Explorers catalogue. He had a ton of stuff circled in it. Half of what he wanted is already gone - no big deal. In this economy I understand companies not stocking up and having to hold a bunch of stuff that doesn't sell.

I ordered Tuesday morning. We actually leave for Xmas next Monday so to be safe, I paid for next day shipping. The shipping was $50!

I didn't expect it to go out Tuesday. I'd have been pleasantly surprised but I didn't expect it. But I didn't get a shipping confirmation on Wednesday. And I didn't have one this morning either. So I called the company and found out that they just hadn't processed the order yet. I got sent on to the "alert" department. I spent 21 minutes on hold waiting for someone and hung up. I called the regular number back and I was HOT but polite - I went overboard being polite. This time, I was told that one of the items was on backorder and that was "part" of the shipping delay. That CS rep ended up hanging up on me. So I called back yet again and got a CS "manager" who said she'd refund my shipping and cancel the backordered item so the order would be released for shipping. And she was going to send me an email showing me how much was credited back to my account.

No email. No shipping confirmation yet. And the manager actually said, "Meh" when I asked her if hanging up on customers was their standard practice. Meh. :lol::lol:

They have this fancy recording that states their phone calls are recorded for customer service training but I'm guessing they don't actually ever go back and LISTEN to them.

I ordered from them because they send so many catalogues and I know that has to be expensive but holy mackeral, NEVER again.

If I cannot get it locally or on Amazon, I'm about ready to just never look for it again.

How was everyone else's shopping this year??

I had no problems, but I only ordered from amazon, barnes and noble, think geek and Lego.

I will say that we participated in a Yankee Candle fundraiser, and apparently they ran out of a certain candleholder and replaced them all with a random candleholder that was the same price! What?!

My husband is always automatically anti big business. He figures they must have gotten to where they are through shady practices. But ya know, I will defend Amazon to the death because they have the BEST customer service! He wants the Nook tablet because it has better specs. I want the Fire because I LOVE AMAZON.

That is all...:D

:iagree: This year I either shopped locally or bought from Amazon. I've been very happy with Amazon over the years.

It's so shocking to me when a company just clearly does.not.care in this economy. And it's weird to me that the one that is so GIANT they cannot possible care, really does.

I did some Amazon ordering today and needed stuff shipped to different places. Instead of just creating new orders, like I should have done... I ended up screwing everything up. The 2 year old was getting a couple of blurays... the 16 year old was getting a ball run, etc. I royally messed it up. I was dreading calling Amazon - heck I didn't even know you could call Amazon, but I found the number. I had ZERO hold time. The CS rep asked me to pull up my account at the same time so I could double check everything and make sure he didn't mess it up, and at the end he apologized for the system being hard to use. He apologized when I screwed up. I hung up vowing to buy Amazon Prime until I hit the grave. :lol:

The second company I needed to deal with was a DISASTER. DS loves that Young Explorers catalogue. He had a ton of stuff circled in it. Half of what he wanted is already gone - no big deal. In this economy I understand companies not stocking up and having to hold a bunch of stuff that doesn't sell.

I ordered Tuesday morning. We actually leave for Xmas next Monday so to be safe, I paid for next day shipping. The shipping was $50!

I didn't expect it to go out Tuesday. I'd have been pleasantly surprised but I didn't expect it. But I didn't get a shipping confirmation on Wednesday. And I didn't have one this morning either. So I called the company and found out that they just hadn't processed the order yet. I got sent on to the "alert" department. I spent 21 minutes on hold waiting for someone and hung up. I called the regular number back and I was HOT but polite - I went overboard being polite. This time, I was told that one of the items was on backorder and that was "part" of the shipping delay. That CS rep ended up hanging up on me. So I called back yet again and got a CS "manager" who said she'd refund my shipping and cancel the backordered item so the order would be released for shipping. And she was going to send me an email showing me how much was credited back to my account.

No email. No shipping confirmation yet. And the manager actually said, "Meh" when I asked her if hanging up on customers was their standard practice. Meh. :lol::lol:

They have this fancy recording that states their phone calls are recorded for customer service training but I'm guessing they don't actually ever go back and LISTEN to them.

I ordered from them because they send so many catalogues and I know that has to be expensive but holy mackeral, NEVER again.

If I cannot get it locally or on Amazon, I'm about ready to just never look for it again.

How was everyone else's shopping this year??

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!! Just this morning, I gave up on the company from which I ordered DS8's big gift from DH and me. It is the Zometool Math Creator 4 and I only ordered from this toy store because they gave a 20% discount due to going through the AAFES (military store) web site. I ordered on NOVEMBER 21st!!!!!!!! They've been e-mailing back and forth with me over it and have promised me a tracking number for a week and a half! This morning, I went to the Zometool web site and saw that the Creator 4 set was out of stock! This is the MANUFACTURER, from where the toy store was supposedly having DS8's set shipped. No, no, no, no, no!! And yes, I feel like the toy store is getting sick of my calls and e-mails. Hellooooooo. It has been 25 days! It's 2011!

I ordered it from Amazon this morning and got a ship notice an hour later. It will be here tomorrow for an extra $3.99 because I have Prime. Honestly, I'm done with everyone else. DONE, I tell you!

:tongue_smilie:

I will defend Amazon to the death because they have the BEST customer service!

:iagree::iagree:

Yes, one cannot beat Amazon customer service.

Another company I dealt with recently and won't buy from again is Cannon. I bought a new printer. It was broken in the box. They wanted to send me a refurbished printer. I was astounded. I purchased a new printer and was going to end up with a used one. I took it back to Walmart because they have more clout than I do. Walmart happily refunded my money.

Say what you will, but I've never had a problem with CS at WM either.

I just got an extra gift shipped to me, and charged to me, from humidor.com. I emailed them just now, requesting they send me a return label and credit my card. We will see. They have a reputation for good service, so I hope this goes well. I have no need for a second guest ashtray. (we don't smoke, but dh has friends that do. )

Another company I dealt with recently and won't buy from again is Cannon. I bought a new printer. It was broken in the box. They wanted to send me a refurbished printer. I was astounded. I purchased a new printer and was going to end up with a used one. I took it back to Walmart because they have more clout than I do. Walmart happily refunded my money.

I gotta give my shout out to Walmart customer service.

I ordered a toaster oven from them online, had it shipped to the store for free, and picked it up. That was TWO MONTHS ago. Just the other day, I was cleaning it, and noticed there was glass on the bottom. :001_huh: One of the heating element covers had broken, I have no idea how. (I'm just glad it didn't get in our food. :tongue_smilie:) So I go online, print out the return slip, check to make sure they have the same toaster oven in stock at my local Walmart (yep, they do). Then I called the store, told them my story, they said 'Bring it on it, we'll exchange it.' And they did. Even though I had used it for two months, and had no idea how it broke.

I did have the original box and the return slip, and the website says you can return stuff for 90 days. But I was unsure if they would really take back something I had used for two months before it broke. I was pretty sure they would tell me I had to deal with the manufacturer directly. Nope. Easy peasy they exchanged it.

Almost everything DS had circled in Young Explorers was on Amazon, and for less and free shipping (I have prime)....sometimes you have to search with a bunch of different terms to find the item, but most things you'll find on Amazon!

I tried Amazon first but for a couple of things like the rocket DS wanted, Amazon just sends you back to the Young Explorers site. DS wanted the archery set from YE and that's the one that was holding up the order because it was supposed to be in stock. I need to go see if it's at Amazon.

I do most of my shopping through Amazon because of their customer service.

Last year I had ordered a tool for DH and the day it was to be delivered I checked the tracking information and it said that it had traveled from a midwest shipping facility and was out for delivery in Pennsylvania. I live in Alabama :glare:

I got on chat with amazon customer service and they immediately ordered another one with overnight shipping because we were leaving in 2 days for our Christmas trip to see family. They told me if the original one arrived to just call them to cancel the order or if the new one had already shipped to just refuse the package and have it returned.

The original one ended up showing up late that evening on a last minute run by my mailman and amazon cancelled the 2nd order and gave me a trial to prime for my troubles :lol:

I agree. Amazon has been great to me.

I rarely (never?) go to Walmart but have had a few good experiences, and have heard of others'. So many businesses stink.

Another great one: Dover publishing. Just had a fantastic experience with them. Could not believe it.

While I don't enjoy shopping at Walmart I have never had a problem with returning or exchanging an item there. I have had problems at Target.

:iagree: Target's return policies are designed to make you feel like you're trying to defraud the store in order to return an item, IMO. I've become very hesitant about shopping there because returns have become such a hassle. And they weren't always that way. . . I worked there when I was in my early 20s and probably 90% of my time there was spent at the CS desk doing returns. They've really revamped their polices and become much more strict in recent years.

:iagree: Target's return policies are designed to make you feel like you're trying to defraud the store in order to return an item, IMO. I've become very hesitant about shopping there because returns have become such a hassle. And they weren't always that way. . . I worked there when I was in my early 20s and probably 90% of my time there was spent at the CS desk doing returns. They've really revamped their polices and become much more strict in recent years.

The manager gave my husband a store credit gift card when he returned some pants an hour after I bought them, with receipt. He demanded crediting the credit card.

I personally thought Target stunk when their fake tylenol was weird and gloopy but they wouldn't take it back. I wrote a scathing letter to headquarters and pointed out every other store stands by their store brand without receipt. They sent me like $5 gift certificate.

No email. No shipping confirmation yet. And the manager actually said, "Meh" when I asked her if hanging up on customers was their standard practice. Meh. :lol::lol: How was everyone else's shopping this year??

"Meh" That is how my shopping has been this year;)

Actually, I have bought locally and on Amazon and no problems with Amazon.

I've learned NEVER to expect a refund or replacement from Target without a receipt. It makes me wonder how much they were ripped off before implementing this policy. And why does Walmart not need to do the same?!?

Some of the stores have a policy that if you don't have your receipt they will only issue store credit. Ours does this because people would bring in their toys for tots gifts that their kids had received at Christmas and would get cash and then buy alcohol or cigarettes with the money.

I've learned NEVER to expect a refund or replacement from Target without a receipt. It makes me wonder how much they were ripped off before implementing this policy. And why does Walmart not need to do the same?!?

That's odd. I've had nothing but great experiences at Target, even without a receipt. In fact, there have been a couple of times I wasn't certain they would even let me exchange something, because I had lost the receipt. And I was absolutely certain they would give me store credit, even if they did take it back. Instead, both times, they have been able to look up the transaction using my debit card and have refunded me cash.

Walmart, as I understand it, depends almost entirely on volume for its profits. And they know perfectly well that, if you come into the store to exchange or return something, there's a good chance you'll buy something while you're there. They also know you are likely to buy more stuff thinking you can always return anything you don't need. And they bank on the idea that most people won't bother. It helps with their image, too.

I used to work for a large company, and I was shocked to find out how little effort they put forth in security to prevent theft and vandalism. It was explained to me that it was more cost effective for them to just eat the "shrinkage" than to take any steps to prevent it. And, since this particular company values its image as safe and family friendly, they felt it was better for customers not to see a ton of security.

I ordered the Playmobile (from the Playmobile site) in late October. I bought some two years ago and it was backordered until January. I thought I'd order early so it would come by Christmas. It came two days later. I guess I beat the rush. Then I had the huge box in my bathroom for over a month.:tongue_smilie: I bought an expensive set of books for Dd8 from an eBay seller. She sent the wrong set. She offered to refund enough money to ship them back - which was fair, but I hate going to the post office. Vision Forum has something backordered. They've been very apologetic, but I didn't want it for Christmas anyhow.

I'm trying to think where we've purchased this season.

I've bought a lot of stuff at JoAnn's, where they are nice but understaffed. In general, I will settle for either friendly if slightly inefficient customer service or very efficient and not especially personable. JoAnn's consistently falls into the first category.

I've bought a fair pile of stuff from Target, but that's one of my regular places for shopping. The cashiers at our two local stores are fine, and I've had pretty good luck with asking for help. Their clerks seem knowledgeable about the store's layout and stock.

I've ordered from Tons of Socks, which was unremarkable but fine.

Barnes and Noble is always good.

I've had two noteworthy good shopping experiences this season, though.

First, my daughter had her eye on a particular top for an outfit to wear to Christmas events. She had it picked out weeks ago, but I kept waiting for the right time to order. Finally, we sat down and placed the order yesterday. I looked at the shipping options, calculated the days from now until Christmas Eve, and clicked "ground." About five minutes after that, we realized that she would want the top to wear to her brother's choir concert this weekend. I called customer service, and a very nice woman talked me through paying online for the additional shipping charge and then reading off the new order number to her. She notified the shipping department to overnight the item, and it arrived by FedEx this morning.

It's the sort of thing that should be typical but often isn't. And we had never ordered from the company before. So, I was very pleasantly surprised.

The other story is about Walgreens. We picked up our angel tree tags late this year and had only three days to shop before the drop-off deadline. One of the girls wanted a penguin Pillow Pet. My daughter and I assumed that would be easy, since we see Pillow Pets all over town. Little did we know that the penguin is one of the most popular ones. We went to six stores, including the closest Walgreens, looking for the thing without success. I spent almost an hour at Walmart emptying the whole stupid bin in which they had their Pillow Pets and other plush (It was one like they keep those big beach balls in? About six feet tall and four feet across.) without any help from the clerks who walked by and snickered. Finally, I was out doing other errands and stopped at a Walgreens farther from my house and decided to see if they had a penguin. I was sifting forlornly through what they had on the shelf and about to give up when the clerk and then the store manager came over to ask if I needed help. Between them, they took down every Pillow Pet in overstock and helped me search. When we had determined that they didn't have a penguin, the store manager took my phone number and said he would find one for me.

The next morning, I got a call letting me know he'd found a penguin at another store in his district and had it brought back to my local store.

Needless to say, I'll make a point of shopping at that Walgreens again!

I have been organizing lately. I ordered 6 or 8 lock & lock containers from lock & lock. I ordered them on November 22nd. They were not even SHIPPED until 10 days later. I emailed themwi 2 times asking what the delay was. Then I started tracking down the order and it was not shipped until Dec. 2nd. After another week I opened a dispute with paypal just to try to get a response from them. I have my containers, but have NEVER received a word from Lock & Lock.

Sadlier-Oxford is the other thorn in my side, currently. I posted awhile back how I could not purchase TE because I homeschool. I have since email them twice about how I, as a homeschool mom can purchase their materials. I asked he them specifically if I could fax them a copy of my letter. NEVER got a response.

I only want TE for the next 7 years and then 2 workbooks to go with each (cuz as soon I buy ONLY the TE, they will come out with a new edition and the TE won't match the text). So, 21 books, at least. I am pretty much begging them to take my money. :glare:

That felt good to get that off my chest. :D

That's odd. I've had nothing but great experiences at Target, even without a receipt. In fact, there have been a couple of times I wasn't certain they would even let me exchange something, because I had lost the receipt. And I was absolutely certain they would give me store credit, even if they did take it back. Instead, both times, they have been able to look up the transaction using my debit card and have refunded me cash.

Walmart, as I understand it, depends almost entirely on volume for its profits. And they know perfectly well that, if you come into the store to exchange or return something, there's a good chance you'll buy something while you're there. They also know you are likely to buy more stuff thinking you can always return anything you don't need. And they bank on the idea that most people won't bother. It helps with their image, too.

But their being able to find a record of your transaction means it's a receipt substitute. I was unable to return defective, store brand children's medicine, without being put on their lifetime three strikes and you're out receipt-less returns list. Defective, store brand medicine, mind you.

All stores could count on happy customers returning, but they don't. Many companies nowadays don't care about customer loyalty, and in fact, you get more perks i you switch around all the time, getting new customer bonuses. I have observed very few companies who appear to give a hoot if I am happy; theonly thing that matters is NOW, and not losing a few pennies.

My mom loves Nordstrom because they are awesome too.

While I'll give kudos to Amazon for having just about everything under the sun on their website, and evidently for great customer service, I cannot whole-heartedly endorse them as they have a big warehouse here in the desert in which they did not wisely treat their employees this summer!

I've heard bad things about their business practices too, which pains me because I've had such stellar customer service from them, and of course you still can't beat their prices :(

I haven't had any bad experiences this year (so far!). Even the guys at the local liquor store where I bought scratch-offs and small liquor bottles (for grandmothers and stockings) were incredibly merry and jokey :lol: I'm not fond of the Skechers web site, but it eventually got the job done. Amazon has been great, CBD has been great, Lands End has been great, no problems at Target... I'm thankful for not having any real issues this year.

If you received great service from someone, if you have some time, please write an email or letter on their behalf or even take a moment to speak to their manager. It means a lot to customer-facing employees when someone takes the time to give them credit for their hard work.

But their being able to find a record of your transaction means it's a receipt substitute.

Sure, but in terms of my convenience, that doesn't matter. I'm just pleased they can look up the transaction and do the refund.

I was unable to return defective, store brand children's medicine, without being put on their lifetime three strikes and you're out receipt-less returns list. Defective, store brand medicine, mind you.

That's weird. I've never gotten any defective merchandise from Target, but I've also never had trouble returning anything. And I've never heard that they have such a list.

It's a shame you had such a bad experience.

[For what it's worth, I swore off of Walmart after an especially awful csutomer service experience. I called the store and wrote to them and to the parent company to complain. In fact, I wrote three times. No one ever followed up with me or so much as apologized.]

I too love Amazon customer service! I had to return some things that changed my mind about, I was honest about the reason, and they let me return them for free. Wow, I just about fell over. Big stores seem to treat me better than small ones. I bought some parts for an appliance at a small local business let year, and I almost could not return one part (they gave me the wrong thing) because they have a no return policy. Um...that was not posted nor communicated to me at any point during the inital transaction.

I wonder if it's a regional thing for stores like Target? I tend to go once a month and spend a good wad. It's where I get our cereal, toilet paper, chips, etc.

Last month, I had two food items that I placed on the counter that the saleswoman noticed had been opened. She asked if we did it and I was squicked out. No, I don't usually walk around Target eating Special K cereal...

When DD was three, she yelled at someone who was taking diapers from a box - I hadn't even noticed. But we loved running to get the Target "policelady."

Food, I can almost understand. Diapers too. But as we chatted, the saleslady told me about how many Wii games disappear, bras, etc.

The return policy annoys me too because I have a Target card. Geez, integrate that so that you can see what I bought from you!!

Still no shipping confirmation from Young Explorers, nor an email detailing how much they refunded me. :glare:

Oy. I ordered two items from Target.com on Black Friday for my two daughters. I got the email confirmation giving me a estimated delivery date of 12/5-12/7. 12/7 came and it was getting late in the day and still no package AND I hadn't received an email stating the items had been shipped like I did with some target purchases I had made a few days before. So I called them. Got someone who not only barely spoke English, but couldn't even pronounce the names of the products that I ordered. :glare: A lot of runaround and I was told that the package should arrive the next day. They gave me the UPS tracking number.

The next morning, I went to the UPS website, typed in the tracking number and got this message about how the shipping label had been printed and the system would be updated when the package was in transit. I called Target back only to be told that I should expect the package at any moment on my doorstep. At 6PM I called UPS and they told me that while they had record of the shipping label being printed, they had no record of ever even RECEIVING a package from the target distribution center!

I called target back, mildly, okay VERY irritated, only to be hung up on TWICE. Then I finally got some lady who smarted off to me about how the delivery date stated in the email was an "estimate." I said, "Yeah, that would be fine if anyone could even LOCATE the package to start with!" She asked me to wait 24 more hours. I did. No package, still no update with the tracking number, so I called and asked for either a refund OR for them to send me new merchandise since no one could seem to find the other merchandise. I was told they couldn't refund me because I paid with paypal, but they could give me a gift card. They wouldn't reorder the merchandise because they had to wait SEVEN days for an investigation with UPS to ensure that I hadn't received the package. I told them that was ridiculous since it took me less than 5 minutes to call UPS and speak to them about it. If I can do it, you can to. :glare:

I told them to just give me the gift card so I could reorder the products and move on with my life. They were supposed to send it to me in my email, becasue Christmas is upon us and I didn't want to risk waiting for a physical gift card in the mail and not have it arrive in time. They said it would take up to 24 hours for it to be in my inbox. 24 hours later...nada. I call, they "reprocess it." I wait. 24 hours later....still nothing. I call, they do so supposed "rush" on it and tell me I should have it in a few hours. 7 hours later...still NOTHING. I call and they actually tell me that they are only going to refund PART of what I paid. I flipped out at this point and gave the phone to my husband who really got angry. They fixed the amount. Then they tell me HIM that the gift card is marked as delivered and even though I am staring at my email screen while I'm on the phone, telling them it isn't there, they are arguing with me. Then we get some malarkey about there being some sort of technical issue that is holding up the e-gift card, so they are going to cancel that order and just mail us one.

The story goes ON AND ON AND ON. Needless to say it has been WELL over a week, I still don't have my merchandise, a refund, OR a gift card. I even called the corporate office. I will NOT be shopping with Target again.

Oy. I ordered two items from Target.com on Black Friday for my two daughters. I got the email confirmation giving me a estimated delivery date of 12/5-12/7. 12/7 came and it was getting late in the day and still no package AND I hadn't received an email stating the items had been shipped like I did with some target purchases I had made a few days before. So I called them. Got someone who not only barely spoke English, but couldn't even pronounce the names of the products that I ordered. :glare: A lot of runaround and I was told that the package should arrive the next day. They gave me the UPS tracking number.

The next morning, I went to the UPS website, typed in the tracking number and got this message about how the shipping label had been printed and the system would be updated when the package was in transit. I called Target back only to be told that I should expect the package at any moment on my doorstep. At 6PM I called UPS and they told me that while they had record of the shipping label being printed, they had no record of ever even RECEIVING a package from the target distribution center!

I called target back, mildly, okay VERY irritated, only to be hung up on TWICE. Then I finally got some lady who smarted off to me about how the delivery date stated in the email was an "estimate." I said, "Yeah, that would be fine if anyone could even LOCATE the package to start with!" She asked me to wait 24 more hours. I did. No package, still no update with the tracking number, so I called and asked for either a refund OR for them to send me new merchandise since no one could seem to find the other merchandise. I was told they couldn't refund me because I paid with paypal, but they could give me a gift card. They wouldn't reorder the merchandise because they had to wait SEVEN days for an investigation with UPS to ensure that I hadn't received the package. I told them that was ridiculous since it took me less than 5 minutes to call UPS and speak to them about it. If I can do it, you can to. :glare:

I told them to just give me the gift card so I could reorder the products and move on with my life. They were supposed to send it to me in my email, becasue Christmas is upon us and I didn't want to risk waiting for a physical gift card in the mail and not have it arrive in time. They said it would take up to 24 hours for it to be in my inbox. 24 hours later...nada. I call, they "reprocess it." I wait. 24 hours later....still nothing. I call, they do so supposed "rush" on it and tell me I should have it in a few hours. 7 hours later...still NOTHING. I call and they actually tell me that they are only going to refund PART of what I paid. I flipped out at this point and gave the phone to my husband who really got angry. They fixed the amount. Then they tell me HIM that the gift card is marked as delivered and even though I am staring at my email screen while I'm on the phone, telling them it isn't there, they are arguing with me. Then we get some malarkey about there being some sort of technical issue that is holding up the e-gift card, so they are going to cancel that order and just mail us one.

The story goes ON AND ON AND ON. Needless to say it has been WELL over a week, I still don't have my merchandise, a refund, OR a gift card. I even called the corporate office. I will NOT be shopping with Target again.

Wow. :001_huh: That is really, really bad customer service.

Wow. :001_huh: That is really, really bad customer service.

:iagree::iagree: It truly is. I don't blame you for hating Target now. Hey, have you posted this on their Facebook page???

I think my shipment from Explorers is coming tomorrow. I got Quantum View thingie from UPS for a delivery tomorrow. I'm confused because my name is the receiver and the shipper... they didn't even get that right. And color me surprised to find out that the package is coming from my own darn state - about 100 miles away. If this had been a good transaction, I'd have been thrilled to continue to shop there.

I ordered from Amazon.

Ds's suitcase arrived with a defect. I went online, reported the issue. They came back the next day and picked it up from my husbands office (where we had it delivered to). The replacement was here within 24 hours of me reporting the issue! 2 days later I received an email from Amazon saying they had received the replacement.

Issue resolved. Quick, convenient and with ease.

Amazon is doing something right!

I agree!!! I had to return a lamp shade that I had purchased. I bought it right before I had my 3rd child. My 2nd and 3rd are 11 months apart. Things got really hectic and when I finally found time to return the dang shade (with it's wrapping still on, with the receipt) they said it was too late. I was like :001_huh: ?? They said you can only return something with a receipt within 90 days. It was 91 days. :glare:

I looked at her and said, its only been one day past the deadline would you make an exception? She got really snotty with me and it just went downhill from there.

:iagree::iagree: It truly is. I don't blame you for hating Target now. Hey, have you posted this on their Facebook page???

I did and I got some prepackaged answer about how they wanted to "resolve" my issue and to call the same customer service number that put me to the guy wouldn't couldn't pronounce the product names. :glare:

Another company I dealt with recently and won't buy from again is Cannon. I bought a new printer. It was broken in the box. They wanted to send me a refurbished printer. I was astounded. I purchased a new printer and was going to end up with a used one. I took it back to Walmart because they have more clout than I do.

Me either. One time when ds was about 2 I bought a new DVR so that I could record stuff on tv for him. Well, we moved about that time and I didn't get around to using the record feature. About a year later I tried....and couldn't figure it out. So a few months later I sat down and spent HOURS on it...determined to figure it out. Got RCAs cs on the phone (they were great too) and they determined it was defective. :glare:

Well, I had no receipt a year and half later. But I remembered that I had charged it on my Visa so I found the statement and loaded the DVR up and took it to WM cs. I said, 'look, I have no receipt. I know this is WAAAAY past being your problem, but RCA says it is defective and I just want a new unit. Can ya help me?' She calls the store manager, he looks at the Visa statement, and says, 'sure, I will give you credit toward something else similar.'

:D

This is the first year I've contacted CS at Amazon because someone here mentioned their chat. I did that and am so impressed with them. I ordered the DVD Elf and it came from Canada (which the page had not stated) and the CS rep let me open it and play it to make sure I found it acceptable. The rep even offered a refund b/c it was not what the page had stated, but I told him it worked fine and there was no need for a refund. We did all of our shopping on Amazon this year, minus a few small items from around town.

But their being able to find a record of your transaction means it's a receipt substitute. I was unable to return defective, store brand children's medicine, without being put on their lifetime three strikes and you're out receipt-less returns list. Defective, store brand medicine, mind you.

All stores could count on happy customers returning, but they don't. Many companies nowadays don't care about customer loyalty, and in fact, you get more perks i you switch around all the time, getting new customer bonuses. I have observed very few companies who appear to give a hoot if I am happy; theonly thing that matters is NOW, and not losing a few pennies.

My mom loves Nordstrom because they are awesome too.

I haven't dealt with Walmart CS in a favorable way in many years. I had one CS manager insist that a rain check was completely impossible, because WM didn't do rainchecks. Even when I pointed out the huge sign above his head detailing their raincheck policy. I ended up complaining online at the WM site and did get a contrite call back from the store manager. But I refused to take his offer of a raincheck then and ended up buying the item (three iPods) at a different chain. I also got a horrible response last year when I watched a couple shop lift in front of a whole line of customers. Not one employee would do anything (they were following store policy) and the CS rep I finally got to talk to me made me feel like I was in the wrong to think that the shoplifting was a problem. If they have decided that employee safety is more important than confronting criminals, that is their call. But to act as if I am in the wrong for reporting a crime is not the way to treat a customer who is willing to pay for the merchandise.

In the case of the medicine. I would have no problem telling the manager that they could give me a refund with no strings attached or I would be happy to report the bottle to the FDA or CDC so they could investigate the need for a recall on that item.

I have done mostly on line shopping. Amazon, Walmart, Toys R uS, and Target. Toys R Us is the only one who has given me any issues. :glare:

They have the banner up on their site that says "Free shipping on everything with orders over $49." Yeah, well not so much! Apparently "everything" does not include video games and other hardware/software related items, gift cards and a few others. You have to really look for the fine print.

I spent 1/2 an hour shopping the sale on their site and had $100 of stuff in my cart. The shipping was $23 and wouldn't go away!? So I had to call and was told that because I had 2 nintendo ds games in the cart, that my shipping would not be free :glare:. So I redid my whole order and bought the ds games off amazon instead.

If you received great service from someone, if you have some time, please write an email or letter on their behalf or even take a moment to speak to their manager. It means a lot to customer-facing employees when someone takes the time to give them credit for their hard work.

I agree. :) I make an effort to do this and managers invariable say they appreciate the positive feedback as they generally only hear about the bad experiences.

Recently I had wood chips delivered (free through our energy company--I guess they cut down trees around power lines) and the guys were sooo conscientious and careful, I tried to tip them. The refused the tip but said that if I gave positive feedback to the company, they would all get treated to lunch one day. I thought that was a great company policy. And from a utility company where you rarely have much choice over service too!

In the case of the medicine. I would have no problem telling the manager that they could give me a refund with no strings attached or I would be happy to report the bottle to the FDA or CDC so they could investigate the need for a recall on that item.

Manager did not care. I reported to Target headquarters, who also did not particularly care. I considered reporting it but finally just got too busy with other things.

Most stores stand behind their store brands, where you can return without a receipt (since who else sells their brand) for just not liking it, and usually they will give you the name brand for free. Target does not stand behind their store brand in that way. I think that's worth noting.

I did a search for store brand guarantee and got tons of companies standing behind their product -- Walgreens, Kroger, Family Dollar, and Office Depot, for example.

However, in all fairness to Target I was able to very easily return a defective digital converter box that the company advised me was defective when I described its random changing of channels. No questions asked. What a relief.

Edited by stripe

On occasion, I have felt kind of guilty only ordering from Amazon. I guess I feel guilty because it is such a HUGE business and little ones can't compete, but then I get over myself and realize that they have had such an incredible track record with me. The prices at Amazon can rarely be beat, their website is so easy to use, Prime rocks, and they have very helpful customer service. And so I remain a loyal devoted Amazon fan! And I am sure they are pretty fond of me with all I spend on there ;)