Menu

Anyone else have minimal positive school memories?

When I think of my 12 years in public school, I can't think of much positive.

In k-1st I was reading way above grade level and the teachers were annoyed that they had to make time for me to go to the 4th-5th grade reading groups. In the groups I was obviously the baby and none of the kids liked me.

In 2nd grade (different school) I was always in trouble for not "applying myself" and not working hard.

In 3rd (another new school) grade my classmates hating having me on their math team because I always lost.

4th grade (new school) I was in a self contained class of 8 and was the only girl. They had the bright idea of mainstreaming me for specials like music and I was put down by the everyone in the class for the entire period.

Also 4th grade, the psychologist said I had some gender identity problems because of my short hair and boys clothes. I had/have sensory issues and boys sweats are much more comfortable than girls.

5th grade (new school) I was taken from a self contained class and dumped in regular ed with no support services and bombed socially. I was made fun of for getting 100% on spelling tests.

6th grade, same crap. I never "applied myself" and did poorly, but when I did well, was accused of cheating.

5th and 6th grades I wasn't allowed to play in instrument because the music teacher didn't want to waste his time with me.

First half of 7th grade- I started playing saxophone and was hated for picking it up quickly.

Second half of 7th grade, middle school- 2 teachers expected me to work and I did very well. My english teacher didn't let me fail, she forced me to work and told me that I was capable of more than anyone else in her classes, so she didn't accept less. My math teacher was great, too, but didn't push as much as english.

Not allowed to play in band.

8th grade was terrible. No decent teachers, same kids who hated me. I ended up selling my saxophone.

9th grade, high school. Beyond terrible. My guidance counselor asked me multiple times if I was high again. I never did drugs. English teacher never let me answer questions during class. If I turned in HW, it was only because I cheated (she said). She also never accepted a passing test from me even though I sat alone and away from every student. My report card grades for 9th grade english were the lowest allowed; 55, 6, 6, 6.

10th grade- Hated by all. No one stopped me from leaving the school, ever. I could walk right past the Principal and out the door.

I dropped out and my step mother Homeschooled me. I was still made fun of even though I was the only darn student!

12th grade I was pregnant with dd and went to a BOCES program. Doubled up on required classes and graduated with my class. Except my economics teacher said I failed her class.

I was never invited to my graduation. The school district lost my passing report card until the day after the graduation ceremony. Then they had to have a diploma printed because they never bothered looking at the transfered grades. Technically I should not have graduated, but somehow I had a 65 for economics which is passing. Everything else was A's.

I didn't intend to write all of this out, but it seemed to flow naturally! LOL.

Anyone else have a terrible time in our "wonderful" public school system?

I had a horrible school experience which was created by a perfect storm. I was too smart, too pretty and had apathetic parents who did not care if I achieved and would rather die than stand up for me so I was a great victim.

I attended a small rural school where most teachers were ranchers and teaching was a second job. None of them ever had more than ten students in a class, but most of them were put out by having to correct papers. Even with only seven or eight students to a class rarely was work corrected, or problem students disciplined.

My fourth grade teacher and her husband owned a large dairy. She got up at four in the morning to help her husband milk hundreds of cows. Then she blew her top for the rest of the day at us when the problem students behaved badly. Which they did every day because they found it fun to make her mad.

Yep. Here were some of the worst:

1. Being touched extremely inappropriately by a school custodian when I was in elementary school (and having the principal insist I was lying, that he would never do that). There did ensue an investigation and all I remember was that the end result was that he "retired" to lots of applause for all his years of service to the school and blah blah blah.

2. Got up to throw something in the trash. The teacher told me to sit down, but I was already almost at the desk where the trash bin was. I said, "I'm just throwing something out" and proceeded to do so. She grabbed my hand, hissed, "I said, sit down!" and dug her nails in to the back of my hand hard enough to leave a bloody scratch.

3. Had another teacher ask if anybody had any questions. When I raised my hand, she looked at me, raised a brow, said, "Let me get an intelligent question first," and nodded to the student behind me. When she came back to me, I was pissed. So I said, "Let me get an intelligent answer first" and turned to ask my question of a student behind me. She didn't like that and made me leave the room and go to the office. :P

I could go on, but I won't.

When my 11 y/o daughter started out in the public school district, there was a whole bunch of things I didn't like about her experiences, too, and those started right in Kindergarten. At least mine didn't start that young. So by third grade I'd had enough and pulled her out. So glad I "found" homeschooling. :001_wub:

When I think of my 12 years in public school, I can't think of much positive.

K-okay

1st grade-horrid red frowny faces on all my work because my handwriting was poor.

2nd grade-great, world's smartest boy was my sweetheart.

3rd grade-nice teacher, but I was in the "slow reading group".

4th grade- in Canberra. VERY nice.

5-6th grade- back in US, snotty mean girls. 6th grade teacher made it quietly clear I was destined for better. I believed him sometimes.

7-9th grade-more snotty mean girls, and I am lost in math

10 grade- no friends, jocks ruled the school, DD students belittled by the greasers, I was spat on more than once, quit math, fabulous biology teacher.

11th grade - friends but bored silly and depressed. I dropped out.

What a huge, honking waste of time. I still resent it.

I hated school most of the time. My experience is not *why* I chose to homeschool, but it's usually the number one reason that I'm thankful I do when I realize what my children don't have to put up with!! (And what *I* don't have to put up with as a PS parent! Ugh.)

I think that kids leading and molding other kids is dangerous and stupid. There is so much sexual harassment and abuse and bullying (all forms) and neglect and all manner of petty meanness that I sometimes wish my children knew just how blessed they are to avoid it. They don't and can't avoid all negative people in life by any means, either.

What I think of are overall experiences and stories that I am able to now share with my kids. I remember doing a lot of crazy things in school that are just funny stories now. Academically I was not a great student and had some teachers who would go out of their way to tell me so. I also ended up dropping out during 11th grade. But sometimes I wonder if my kids have been so protected from having independent experiences that they won't have anything to pass down to their children. There are many lessons that I learned in my school days and also, like I said, just childhood memories. Some good, many bad, but all in all part of who I am.

Lesley

I have a few good memories of high school, but that was a private school. The teachers were very caring, and I realize now that I took much of it for granted. I remember one chain smoking, harley-riding history teacher with wild einstein hair who would always shout, "Question authority! If you learn nothing else from me, question AU-THOR-ITY!!!!"

I have nothing but horrible memories from 5th-9th grades, that stuff still keeps me awake at night.

I liked high school, try to forget middle school, and remember elementary as banging my head against the wall academically until fifth grade.

K-1: Loved my sweet teachers, got my first marriage proposal! I told him no because we were too young.

2: Teacher said cruel things to me and about me to other children, who were thrilled to share the info.

3: Meh.

4: My mother couldn't understand why I was doing so poorly. At a P-T conference, the teacher complained I didn't read the books assigned and I didn't follow directions, and she repeatedly called me "Two." I'd already read all the books, I read ahead in the textbooks because I was so bored, and every student in her class was called by their line number in her grade book. A boy had the last name starting with an "A" and he was called "One." I was "Two" since my last name came next. My mom came home and basically said scr*w her, she's an idiot.

5: Teacher asked me what books I'd read, assigned me new books, didn't let me slack off. My favorite in elementary!

6-8: Hated, hated, hated middle school (don't we all). Suspension for fighting; I pushed a bully twice my size away to get out of a circle of his friends; he had just punched me in the face. Didn't matter, physical contact for fighting. First introduction to the trials of school district bureaucracy.

9-12: New school district, challenging classes, great teachers. Computer science teacher made me cry with an inspiring lecture on linked lists (you had to have been there). My calculus teacher was a bad *ss and awesome. My junior English teacher was sweet and ladylike, and she could cut up a bad composition until it bled red. I didn't love high school, but it was great academics.

I attended two of the best school districts in my home state and I found the K-8 experience poor to average overall with only my 5th teacher truly inspiring. Teachers were too young or too entrenched in their ways to challenge students. Middle school had too many hormones to get an effective education. If dh would agrees, I would homeschool through 8th at minimum. In a great school district, ps high school is difficult to top in my experience.

Fuzzy memory of K-2 as we moved and I went to three different schools. :glare:

Very bad memories of grades 3-7 as I was teased and bullied for those years. Adults did nothing to help. In 8th grade the ringleader left the school and the bullying clique fell apart :D. That year was pretty good. High school was also good.

The years of teasing/bullying is one major reason for why I homeschool

School was horrible for me. Went to two different schools. Was bullied in both schools. I don't know. I just hated it. Too many bad memories. One that stands out for me was in sixth grade when two girls were going thru my purse looking for money and the teacher was at her desk just staring at us. She knew what was going on and did nothing to stop it. The only reason I knew anything in life is because I read everything. I think it is OCD lol. I love it when the people I went to school with talk about how we should stop bullying in school because their precious offspring is now bullied. It makes me smirk.

K- I remember writing a list of rhyming words for my teacher and then later seeing it in the trash can and being devastated. I remember a kid throwing up in circle time.

1st- My teacher told me that if I wanted to suck my thumb, I would have to go to a cubicle in the back of the room to do it. Silly me, I didn't realize it was supposed to be a punishment. I was thinking, "Cool, I get to suck my thumb and not listen to this boring lady!"

2nd- My mom called my teacher The Art Lady. All we did the entire year were craft projects with construction paper. She was a nice lady, though.

3rd- Everyone hated the teacher because if she was yelling at the class, she would poke her long fingernail into the shoulder of the nearest person. She was strict, but I didn't mind her because she read us chapter books every day after lunch.

4th- The teacher always said, "People, stop talking" in a weird, drawn-out way, and all the kids made fun of her. I neither liked nor disliked this year.

5th- started really going downhill. I was in the G&T program and we were supposed to write a story about who we were in a previous life. I wrote that I had been Beethoven, and my teacher flipped out and said I had to write about who I REALLY had been. She called my mom about it, and that conversation did not go very well. The psycho teacher treated me very badly the rest of the year.

6th- I refused to go back to school after Christmas break, due to being pounded on the head and having my lunch money stolen daily. My mom enrolled me in the Catholic school, and I was neither robbed nor beaten, but I was teased and taunted relentlessly. Refused to go back to that school at the end of that year.

7th- went to hyper-religious Christian school, but actually learned things for the first time ever

8th- high school- transferred schools a few times, ended up skipping so much school that the principal told me I technically wasn't supposed to graduate, but that I had a 3.9 GPA and the highest SAT score in my class, so he didn't see much point in holding me back.

I have a few good memories, but mostly I did not enjoy my school experience at all. I loved college, on the other hand. Wouldn't trade that for the world.

I actually LIKED school. I went to seven schools. The moving around portion of my life stopped by third grade. We landed in my dad's home town in a very small rural district. My 5th grade teacher also taught my dad in 5th grade. The teachers cared and were your neighbors. The bullies were punished. School wasn't without regular childhood angst, but is was safe and seemed fair. I could have used more of a challenge, but it was no cake walk.

My high school had 520 students for 9-12. Student athletes were chosen by ability not popularity and they were benched for grades below a C. Nobody graduated not knowing how to read or made the cheerleading squad because she was pretty. Teachers didn't change grades for anyone. The atrocities mentioned here seemed to happen only in inner city schools or on TV.

I have very few good memories of school. My teacher in first grade would always scream at me if I had to use the bathroom, and then if I had an accident, she'd scream at me awhile longer in order to publicly humiliate me before letting me call my mom for clean clothes. After that, I basically hated every teacher I had, good or bad. Except my fourth grade teacher. He was very kind and understanding. All the others though... *shudder* Our high school history teacher used to dress in clothes a hooker would be ashamed of and flirt with the boys on the football team.

I was reading at a post-secondary level by second grade, and was bored out of my mind up until fifth or sixth grade. Then, I pretty much just gave up on learning completely.

The kids bullied me starting in first grade and on through eleventh grade. It only stopped before my senior year because at that point, I was hanging out with enough drug users and dealers to frighten the people doing the bullying. I also started dating a guy around the same time who was extremely muscular.

I think the bullying was the worst part, though. Especially given that the teachers just overlooked it because the kids doing the bullying had extremely wealthy parents. What really irks me is that the guy who usually led the bullying, who would actually sit and torment the special ed kids daily and made everyone's lives a living hell, is now a youth counselor.

Ugh..... School wasn't too bad until the 5th grade, even though in 1st I kept getting a 'B' in speech only because the teacher didn't believe in giving straight 'A's' so speech was the only thing she could give me a 'B' in. Neither my mom nor I were very happy about that.

In 5th grade the teacher hated me from day 1, which I never understood because every teacher prior loved me and I was a straight 'A' student. On the first day of class I was doing my work and she said to me, "What are you doing?" I told her I was doing my work. She proceeded to ask me why I was using my left hand. I told her I was left-handed and she said, "Well that's stupid." :001_huh:

After that she asked me why I wrote "Ozzy" on the BACK of my chair. The boy behind me wore Ozzy T-shirts everyday, had Ozzy written on his knuckles and all over his desk, and she asked ME why I had written Ozzy on the back of my chair. Really??

She never picked me to be a helper, which always upset me and the final straw was when she called me up in front of the class to yell at me for not completing a science assignment. I was looking at it knowing it wasn't mine (I had finished mine) and I finally pointed it out to her that the name on there wasn't mine. Ugh!

My dad, who was VERY intimidating, came in to talk to her about all of this. They stood in the doorway and I actually saw her lip quivering while talking to my dad. It was the best day ever! :) After that she treated me like a queen. :)

In 8th grade I switched to an honors school. My 9th grade science teacher asked me, in front of the class, when I had started going there and when I told him he got this look of shock on his face, which everyone knew to mean he couldn't believe I managed to get into the school in 8th grade because it's the toughest year for anyone to enter that school in.

None of my high school teachers would give me the time of day because I wasn't one of the top students and didn't take any advanced classes. I didn't fit in to any crowd, but thankfully I had a few close friends. Unfortunately they were a year ahead of me so my senior year was absolutely miserable without a single friend there. I skipped school all the time and honestly thought I would never graduate high school. My gym teacher told me repeatedly he was going to fail me so I couldn't graduate. He hated me from day 1 because I wouldn't play on the school's state champ volleyball team (I won't play volleyball now because he'd pull me out of gym class to make me practice volleyball with one of the team members).

I'm sure I could come up with some more awful memories, but those are the ones that came to mind first. I'm 37 years old and I still haven't gotten over some of my experiences.

I really liked K and 1st. I also liked all of my Elementary Teachers, they were thankfully all nice to me. However, I did not enjoy 2nd through the beginning of 6th grade. I was bullied that entire time by a group of the same 4 or 5 boys everyday, every year. In 6th grade we moved. I went to a private school for about 4 months. I really liked all my teachers. However, I was doing homework from the moment I got home until about 9 or 10 at night. It wasn't that I was struggling with the concepts the amount of homework was just overwhelming. I was then switched to another public school for the rest of 6th. That was not horrible, but not the best year. I then started in 7th still in PS. I really didn't like PS Jr. High that much. I then started homeschooling (just because my mom pulled my brother out of Public School and I was jealous!). I did HSing from 7-10th. I then went back to PS for 11th and 12th because I really liked the Art program at our local PS High School. I enjoyed 11th and 12th grade. I had some really great teachers in 11th and 12th.

So overall I never had any issues with teachers. I really didn't enjoy being bullied. And I don't think in all those Public School years I learned very much academically (aside from a few classes in 11th and 12th grade). In the end my experience did make me who I am so I don't know that I would change it. I have mixed feelings towards public school. I am just soooooooooo glad that I am able to HS my kids!:D

I have a few positive memories of a couple amazing teachers who really did influence me (and affected how I have hsed my dc), but overwhelmingly my ps experience was negative and I hated it. I was a good student, advanced and AP classes and all, but school was boring and a waste of time, and I realized it in elementary school. I hated the bullying and favoritism and the dysfunctional social scene. I couldn't wait to get out.

Kindy - I wanted to learn to read and my teacher laughed at me and said I couldn't learn to read until first grade. I decided school was a waste of time. I only wanted to go so I could learn to read

First grade - I learned to read very quickly and my teacher stopped listing all the books I read on my chart because she said I read too many books and the other children would feel bad because they didn't read as much as I did. Someone stole the sand dollar from my seashell collection that my teacher asked me to bring to show and tell. It doesn't sound like a big deal in the big picture, but I was devastated because it was my prized possession and I never did get another one. My teacher said "Oh well, it's just a sand dollar and I can't do anything about it."

Second grade - I didn't like my teacher. She often called me by the wrong name.

Fourth grade - split 3rd-4th grade class. Teacher wrote assignments on the board for both grades, so by lunch I would be done with all the work for the day, but I wasn't allowed to go home. Teacher told me to work slower so I wouldn't finish so quickly. This is when I realized school was a waste of time because I could do all my work in a few hours. I worked ahead in spelling because I was bored, but my teacher got mad at me for finishing my spelling book before Christmas vacation.

Fifth grade - split 5th-6th grade class. One good thing was I was bored with 5th grade work, but I could finish my work early and listen to my teacher teaching the 6th grade material. I was less bored that year. We had art at least once per week because our school was part of an experimental Arts Impact program that was studying how exposure to the arts would affect learning and test scores. I loved the arts we did - dance, film, music, crafts.

Sixth grade - I was bored because I had already learned most the material when I was in 5th grade. I finished the SRA cards for reading and had to start at the beginning, lowest level because my teacher didn't know what to do with me for reading. Boring. I would write stories when I finished my assignment and my teacher got mad at me and accused me of writing notes. Let's see, is it better to talk and get into trouble because I was done with my work and bored, or sit quietly and write stories. I never figured out what I was supposed to do when I finished my work because she wouldn't tell me.

7th grade - horrible social situations, boring classes, bullying, physically attacked in math class and the teacher didn't do anything about it except tell me to go wash the blood off my arms. Nothing happened to my attacker. Hated school. I was reading Shakespeare (on my own) and when I asked my English teacher some questions about what I was reading she told me I shouldn't be reading that because it was not assigned and I could take a class in college to learn about Shakespeare. Way to encourage an interested student, teacher.

8th grade - more bullying, boredom, but excellent history teacher. For the first time ever I started loving history. This teacher was a tremendous influence on my live because I realized that history was not the same as textbooks, and that reading about historical events written in novels by people who loved history made history very interesting. I saw no reason to go to school except to go to history class.

9th grade - fortunately I had the same history teacher again, for another wonderful year of history class. I endured school so I could go to history class.

11th grade - horrible history teacher who tried to destroy my love of history, and nearly accomplished his goal. I blew English tests (grammar) because while I could recognize a grammatical error and correct it, I didn't know the name of the error. Apparently knowing the name of the error was more important than being able to use correct grammar and correct grammatical errors. But my teacher encouraged writing, and I wrote a lot, so I received enough extra credit for writing stories to cover all my failed grammar tests (and she always noted how good my grammar was when I wrote) and I got an A in the class.

12th grade - Horrible AP history teacher. I got chicken pox and the school wouldn't let me come back until all the scabs were gone - two weeks. History teacher refused to send home work and failed me for all assignments and tests during the two weeks I missed. Gave me a D in the class and when I questioned it because I had A's on all my papers and most my tests, he said that he would have given me an F but he didn't think he could get away with it. So the school refused to let me come, and said that the teacher could run his class the way he wanted to and if he wanted me to be present, then he could fail me for not being there even though I was not allowed into the school. Apparently I was the only one who could see how contradictory this was. I still graduated in the top 10% of my class and with high honors. I was so grateful to be out of that h*ll of ps.

School was hideous, and I don't have many good memories. I didn't list most the stuff that happened because I would prefer not to think about it, and I spent years begging to stay home and not go to school. Suffice it to say that I was 100% convinced that school was a waste of time. I valued education, but not school, and in 4th grade I decided that I would not make my kids suffer like I had because there had to be a better way to get an education. I didn't know about hsing, but I was certainly philosophically prepared to do it once I discovered it existed when I was in college. I am beyond grateful that my dc have not had to endure what I had to live with for 13 years.

Some bad memories, but mostly things I saw that happened to other kids. I was well liked by most all through school, never was bullied, just seem to get along with everyone cause I was so "nice" and "always smiling" (lots of "keep on smiling". Really ho-hum, I got good grades and mostly nice teachers. In high school I recall just wishing I could be homeschooled because I could actually learn all I wanted to learn instead of having to just do 1 hr slots of each subject, and maybe without all the pressure and embarrassment I might understand math, I could master Spanish, and get lost in history books. I would have been a great self directed learner. I had problems with my legs going to sleep and being sore that my doctor said was from sitting too much- I sat in school all day and then had homework every night for hours! What a colossal waste of time just so you can pass a test for a shirt period if time, instead of really studying subjects and actually mastering them, and having the ability to really excell at my passions- history, Spanish and home ec!

The atmosphere is definitely something I do not want to expose my kids to, it was too sexual when I was in grade school and that was 20 years ago! I would want to pound on a kid just a little if he told my dd he had a condom in his wallet with her name in it, such as I was told when I was 11. Or having boys compare girls breast sizes openly when they started developing, snapping bras, etc. She is such a sweet innocent thing, and I don't want my sons to think that behavior is normal or acceptable for boys to treat girls, no mattr how prevalent.

Edited by MrsJewelsRae

My memories through 6th grade were mostly positive. A couple, kids are so mean type memories, but nothing horrid. Now from 7th on, going to school in the Palm Beach county school system in the pit of South Florida, horrid. Did not get much better when I started going to a private Christian school in 9th grade.

Horrible years! I had a friend in high school (my only one--and most days she treated me badly, too, but at least she'd eat lunch with me) who said, "They tell us these are the best years of our lives. And then they wonder why teenagers are so suicidal."

I was fine until 4th grade. The only way I can describe it to other people is to tell them to remember their most embarrassing moment. Not a funny embarrassing moment, but a truly devastatingly, cringe-worth embarrassing moment. Think about it for a minute...relive the shame....and THAT was my life All Day Long from 4th - 11th grade. (In 12th grade I did a work-study program and only had to go to school 1/2 the day.) The kids constantly belittled me and did their best to make a fool out if me in front of everyone. I felt ashamed and belittled and disliked every minute of every day while in school.

I remember at that time, hearing in the news about a boy who had walked into his school and shot his classmates. As usual, people asked him, "Why did you DO that?" and he said, "I just couldn't take it anymore." And, rather than being horrified by him, I remember thinking, "I know JUST how he feels."

As an adult, there were times I would remember those years and and cry and mourn for my lost childhood and the misery and all the tears--I used to sob myself to sleep every single night in my school years. Finally, 2 years ago (when I was 36) I went to special prayer-counselling at my church to try to get over the pain. My counselor walked me through forgiving all my tormenters. And it worked. Now, I can remember the memories, know what it felt like...but the sting of it is gone. It doesn't hurt anymore. Thank you, God, that I was able to forgive and let it go!!!

Edited by Garga

I have a few good memories of high school, but that was a private school. The teachers were very caring, and I realize now that I took much of it for granted. I remember one chain smoking, harley-riding history teacher with wild einstein hair who would always shout, "Question authority! If you learn nothing else from me, question AU-THOR-ITY!!!!"

That gave me a true LOL! Awesome--I love him!

Kindergarten was was great. I've got good memories of that. During the first week of 1st grade I got in trouble for reading at my desk. Then, later, I got in trouble for reading in the bathroom (I took a book with me). Then, I got in trouble for reading during recess. The bullying started around the same time. It was all downhill from there.

I have a mix of good and bad, but graduated early just to get out of there.

From K-3rd we lived in a great area. My mom volunteered in school, all the teachers and kids liked me.

4th grade -we moved and I got teased and bullied because of my curly hair. Big shock.

Junior high got bullied at the bus stop. So nice. :glare:

High school was 10th-12th in the same building at that time.

10th - got dumped 2 weeks before prom. Guy had some family issues and moved, I never saw him again. *sigh*

11th - my only good year. I was friends with the 3 foreign exchange students, all guys. I hung out with them all year, we had so many good times, including one of them was my prom date. Two of them are my facebook friends. I cried like crazy when they left. I actually quit trying in school my senior year and graduated at semester.

I hated school for the most part.