Holiday Facebook pet peeve

I don't say any of it.

"Hi"

"Thank you."

"Have a nice day."

Done.

I'm in too much of a rut to change just for a 4 week period of time. :lol:

My opinion goes like this...

People should greet folks the way they want to and hopefully remember that a smile goes a LONG way.

People should behave charitably towards others by not getting offended if they are not greeted in the manner that they prefer.

Christians need to focus on sharing the Gospel in love rather than forcing a shallow outward appearance to conformity.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say "Merry Christmas." My holiday cards have also always said "Merry Christmas." I'm in the minority with this one, probably, but I would much rather get a bunch of cards or greetings with a variety of sentiments instead of the same, watered-down, bland, generic greeting in the name of including every single possibility, on every card (or every greeting). I find it interesting to hear expressed how others are celebrating...whatever way that is.

I say "Merry Christmas." My holiday cards have also always said "Merry Christmas." I'm in the minority with this one, probably, but I would much rather get a bunch of cards or greetings with a variety of sentiments instead of the same, watered-down, bland, generic greeting in the name of including every single possibility, on every card (or every greeting). I find it interesting to hear expressed how others are celebrating...whatever way that is.

Cards are different. You can personalise them to the person you are sending each to.

My current copy and paste status on FB:

Please copy this as your status if you know someone who is alive today because you're too tired to dig a hole in the woods and bury them....

Wolf asked if it was about him :lol: "Nope, not today, Dear..."

:lol::lol::lol: Before reading this I would have said that all the repost this status things on facebook bug me to death! But I'd make an exception for this one. :)

Please copy this as your status if you know someone who is alive today because you're too tired to dig a hole in the woods and bury them....

I have a friend who uses about the same one but ends in "because it's illegal to shoot them."

Makes one want to post: Merry Christmas to my Christian friends, Happy Channakah to my Jewish friends (and I probably butchered that spelling), Happy Ramadan to my Muslim friends, Happy Kwanza to my black friends, Happy Solstice to my Pagan and Heathen friends, and Warm Wishes & Good Vibes to my Metaphysical Relative. And Happy Holidays to anyone I left out! :D

:lol: Can I use this? That's gold!

I am so reposting!! :tongue_smilie:

I will probably tell people "merry Christmas" just because that's what I'm used to saying, and most people I know celebrate Christmas. If I knew someone celebrated some other holiday, I would use the appropriate greeting. If I wished someone a merry Christmas and they told me they celebrated, say, Hanukah, I would wish them a happy Hanukah.

I do have a problem with, say, someone in the grocery store getting offended at a *stranger* in the grocery store (employee or not) wishing them Merry Christmas. It's rude and unnecessary. For one, so many people DO celebrate Christmas, even those that aren't Christian. For another, it's (probably) not meant to be an evangelizing tactic - it's just a greeting - the holiday version of "have a nice day!" Yes, "happy holidays" is a better term, but there's no reason to jump down someone's throat because they said "Merry Christmas" instead. The reverse is true as well.

As someone who does not celebrate Christmas, I really do not care what the greeting is as long as it is given with good spirits. Happy Holidays is about retailers not wanting to offend any of their customers. The employee who objects needs to get over it. If they do not like that the management is telling them what to say to the customers then they need to seek other employment. And for the love of all that is good in the world, don't forget the hearts! <3.

I will probably tell people "merry Christmas" just because that's what I'm used to saying, and most people I know celebrate Christmas. If I knew someone celebrated some other holiday, I would use the appropriate greeting. If I wished someone a merry Christmas and they told me they celebrated, say, Hanukah, I would wish them a happy Hanukah.

I do have a problem with, say, someone in the grocery store getting offended at a *stranger* in the grocery store (employee or not) wishing them Merry Christmas. It's rude and unnecessary. For one, so many people DO celebrate Christmas, even those that aren't Christian. For another, it's (probably) not meant to be an evangelizing tactic - it's just a greeting - the holiday version of "have a nice day!" Yes, "happy holidays" is a better term, but there's no reason to jump down someone's throat because they said "Merry Christmas" instead. The reverse is true as well.

I hear what you're saying. But, I don't know. My husband and I, like I said, are Jewish. I don't personally get offended if someone says "Merry Christmas" to me because I get that they're just trying to be nice, and I'll generally just say "thanks, you, too" and go about my day for the most part. I know they just mean to be friendly. I know they celebrate Christmas and that most people celebrate Christmas and that it genuinely probably doesn't occur to them that I don't, because everyone else they know probably does.

My husband on the other hand...it's been getting on his nerves lately. When someone like a cashier or waitress wishes him a "Merry Christmas" he gets a little irritated. He just doesn't get how people can truly be so ignorant that it just doesn't occur to them that not everyone else on the planet celebrates the same holiday they do (or that they just couldn't care less if it does occur to them) and that common sense should tell them that if it's someone they don't know, there's a chance that person might not celebrate your holiday and that therefore you shouldn't just automatically assume they do and treat them as if they do, and that common sense and common courtesy should dictate that you give them a more generic friendly greeting. And while I get what you're saying, I get what he's saying, too.

I do think that it makes good business sense that if you're in a setting like a store, place of business and so on, where you don't know what the various customers celebrate, it is better to keep it more generic just to be sure. And it really does irk me when people get up in arms about that and start saying "Too bad, I'm only going to say it one way to make a point"...to make one point? That no one matters but you? Really? That's what I can't stand, more so than the people who do it more out of well-intended ignorance.

ETA: Of course, it doesn't help that we live in an area that is just sort of anti-Jewish to begin with. There used to be one temple around but they sold it to a church a few years ago because there weren't enough Jews in the area to warrant keeping it and the Rabbi moved two hours away, so no more temple, no more Rabbi, and I don't even know any other Jewish families. The town puts up a Nativity scene every year on public property...so much for separation of Church and State. One year the paper questioned the Rabbi about how she felt about it, back before she moved away, and she said she felt they should honor the whole Separation of Church and State thing, and she ended up getting a bunch of hate mail about how the Jews killed Jesus. My husband made friends with this cop through work (a customer) who, when he found out my husband was Jewish, said, "Really? I never met a Jewish person before." A grown man. Public schools have "Christmas parties" complete with Santa Claus- not holiday parties. When my daughter was in public school Kindergarten before I started homeschooling, she used to always be so upset that Santa Claus didn't come to our house, and I was so afraid to tell her he wasn't real, because I didn't want her to tell the other kids that and have them upset, or hating her. It is impossible to go into a store around here anywhere near Christmas time and not have a cashier say "Merry Christmas" or ask about "Is Santa coming?" "Did Santa come?" "What's Santa bringing you?" "What did Santa bring?" So, yeah, again, I always do wish for more inclusive, generic holiday greetings and don't understand why people feel like they have to make a Christmas specific greeting a hill to die on.

Edited by NanceXToo

I don't say any of it.

"Hi"

"Thank you."

"Have a nice day."

Done.

I'm in too much of a rut to change just for a 4 week period of time. :lol:

My opinion goes like this...

People should greet folks the way they want to and hopefully remember that a smile goes a LONG way.

People should behave charitably towards others by not getting offended if they are not greeted in the manner that they prefer.

Christians need to focus on sharing the Gospel in love rather than forcing a shallow outward appearance to conformity.

Very well said! I especially like your last line.

How about we just say "Bah humbug" to everyone? That's inclusive, right?

:lol:

Like I said previously, this discussion is why I refuse to wish anyone anything. Way too much sensitivity all around. I truly try to limit my conversation with people to "Have a nice day". I wonder if that is offensive somehow too. :confused:

100% agree! and don't even get me started on the whole, if you care you'll repost blah, blah, blah. I feel so strongly about this that even if it's a cause I'm passionate about, I WILL NOT repost if this kind of guilt trip is included. Blech

:iagree: My only consolation is that they can't include neon flashing crosses or kittens and MIDI music like the emails of the same nature often do.

:iagree: My only consolation is that they can't include neon flashing crosses or kittens and MIDI music like the emails of the same nature often do.

So very true!

There are some message boards that I can't even READ because they are just so visually cluttered with members blinkies, sig lines, tickers, etc. It's like BILLBOARDS!! BILLBOARDS!!! OBNOXIOUS NEON SIGNS!!! :glare:

:lol:

This is a big pet peeve of mine! Actually, "Happy Holidays" is a Christian (Catholic) greeting. December has holy days, Advent, and Christmas. Way back in the very old days everyone said "Happy Holidays" short for Happy Holy Days. I read this in a book a few years ago. If I find my book, I will post the title later.

I hear what you're saying. But, I don't know. My husband and I, like I said, are Jewish. I don't personally get offended if someone says "Merry Christmas" to me because I get that they're just trying to be nice, and I'll generally just say "thanks, you, too" and go about my day for the most part. I know they just mean to be friendly. I know they celebrate Christmas and that most people celebrate Christmas and that it genuinely probably doesn't occur to them that I don't, because everyone else they know probably does.

My husband on the other hand...it's been getting on his nerves lately. When someone like a cashier or waitress wishes him a "Merry Christmas" he gets a little irritated. He just doesn't get how people can truly be so ignorant that it just doesn't occur to them that not everyone else on the planet celebrates the same holiday they do (or that they just couldn't care less if it does occur to them) and that common sense should tell them that if it's someone they don't know, there's a chance that person might not celebrate your holiday and that therefore you shouldn't just automatically assume they do and treat them as if they do, and that common sense and common courtesy should dictate that you give them a more generic friendly greeting. And while I get what you're saying, I get what he's saying, too.

I do think that it makes good business sense that if you're in a setting like a store, place of business and so on, where you don't know what the various customers celebrate, it is better to keep it more generic just to be sure. And it really does irk me when people get up in arms about that and start saying "Too bad, I'm only going to say it one way to make a point"...to make one point? That no one matters but you? Really? That's what I can't stand, more so than the people who do it more out of well-intended ignorance.

ETA: Of course, it doesn't help that we live in an area that is just sort of anti-Jewish to begin with. There used to be one temple around but they sold it to a church a few years ago because there weren't enough Jews in the area to warrant keeping it and the Rabbi moved two hours away, so no more temple, no more Rabbi, and I don't even know any other Jewish families. The town puts up a Nativity scene every year on public property...so much for separation of Church and State. One year the paper questioned the Rabbi about how she felt about it, back before she moved away, and she said she felt they should honor the whole Separation of Church and State thing, and she ended up getting a bunch of hate mail about how the Jews killed Jesus. My husband made friends with this cop through work (a customer) who, when he found out my husband was Jewish, said, "Really? I never met a Jewish person before." A grown man. Public schools have "Christmas parties" complete with Santa Claus- not holiday parties. When my daughter was in public school Kindergarten before I started homeschooling, she used to always be so upset that Santa Claus didn't come to our house, and I was so afraid to tell her he wasn't real, because I didn't want her to tell the other kids that and have them upset, or hating her. It is impossible to go into a store around here anywhere near Christmas time and not have a cashier say "Merry Christmas" or ask about "Is Santa coming?" "Did Santa come?" "What's Santa bringing you?" "What did Santa bring?" So, yeah, again, I always do wish for more inclusive, generic holiday greetings and don't understand why people feel like they have to make a Christmas specific greeting a hill to die on.

:grouphug: I see what your husband is saying, too. I'm sorry that it is such an issue in your area. I agree with you completely about people who insist on saying it one way to make a point, especially Christians who insist on saying Merry Christmas. I really appreciate you posting this.

I was the kid who knew Santa wasn't real and probably ruined it for a couple of other kids. :leaving: Oops. (My family is Christian, but we never did Santa.)

:grouphug: I see what your husband is saying, too. I'm sorry that it is such an issue in your area. I agree with you completely about people who insist on saying it one way to make a point, especially Christians who insist on saying Merry Christmas. I really appreciate you posting this.

I was the kid who knew Santa wasn't real and probably ruined it for a couple of other kids. :leaving: Oops. (My family is Christian, but we never did Santa.)

Thanks for the commiseration! I forgot to add the part where my nephew (who was always a great, charismatic kid- now 21 years old and still a great, charismatic kid!) told us that when he was in high school, there were kids who used to throw pennies at him when he walked down the halls. :( This is one of the things I won't be upset about my kids "missing out on" now that they are homeschooled instead of public schooled, that's for sure.

Don't get me wrong- there are plenty of people around here who are NOT like that and we've been fortunate to not encounter any outright hatred ourselves like that and we've all made some great friends, too, of all sorts- from atheist to Christian and everything in between. But it's just sad and uncomfortable to know that people are like that out there and that there seem to be a lot of them around here in particular.

As for Santa...after how it was with my daughter when she was young, I decided that I am not going through several Christmases like that with my son, no matter what. He's been told in no uncertain terms right off the bat that Santa is not real and that he's just pretend and just for fun. I have asked him NOT to mention that in front of other kids his age and younger because some of them DO believe he's real and that we wouldn't want to upset them, so I did my best with that, but if he slips, I can't help that. I'm more concerned with not having another kid who can't understand why s/he can't have what every other kid around here gets to have every single holiday season, especially when it's drilled into them by every single friend, every single cashier, every single school teacher, every single waiter and waitress, every single show on television, every single kindly old lady waiting behind us on the checkout line at the store....you get the idea!

Huh! I never thought of it that way before. I thought I had explored this issue from all sides, but your cogent arguments have helped me to consider the matter from a new perspective. How valuable this forum community is!

Wow. Getting all snarky yourself is generally not a good way to conduct a conversation. But, something tells me your aren't really interested in a real conversation on this topic (or any other).

Merry Christmas doesn't mean Merry Christmas Only If You're Christian.

It means whatever the person feels in their heart, which is most likely Christmas-inspired cheer on behalf of everyone. Not just Christians.

If you feel afraid to say Merry Christmas because the obvious fact that it's Christmastime is offensive to some people, that is a problem.

People who are offended by the fact that others publicly express Christmas cheer need to get over themselves.

Likewise, if someone comes up to a Christian and says, in good cheer, happy ANYTHING, then they should also take it in the way it was intended.

I think the correct response to "Happy Holidays" is "thank you, same to you." And that is also the correct response to "Merry Christmas" - even if you're actually shopping for a completely different celebration.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who was a foreign student (Hindu) working for Jewish employers. She told them "happy Good Friday." She figured that since it was a day off for most folks, it must be something to celebrate. They took it in good humor.

Happy Good Wishes, everyone.

Yeah, you do.

I find it interesting that someone I never met and do not know claims to know the state of my emotions.

I am heartily tired of hearing non-Christians complain about Christmas and being wished "Merry Christmas". I refuse to remove expressions of my faith from my life and dealings with others, and I would never expect non-Christians to do that either. I do, however, expect that a board of adults would refrain from consistently snarky behavior, especially in dealing with such a sensitive topic.

Wow. Getting all snarky yourself is generally not a good way to conduct a conversation. But, something tells me your aren't really interested in a real conversation on this topic (or any other).

Dude. Really?

You responded to one of my posts by posting the "chill pill" icon and nothing else. That post is still there for everyone to see at #14. I think it's a little late for you to be all, "I am shocked, shocked at your failure to engage me with civility." Not to mention deploring other people for egging me on.

Makes one want to post: Merry Christmas to my Christian friends, Happy Channakah to my Jewish friends (and I probably butchered that spelling), Happy Ramadan to my Muslim friends, Happy Kwanza to my black friends, Happy Solstice to my Pagan and Heathen friends, and Warm Wishes & Good Vibes to my Metaphysical Relative. And Happy Holidays to anyone I left out! :D

Yep. Happy Hanukwanzayulemas! To everyone!

I find it interesting that someone I never met and do not know claims to know the state of my emotions.

I am heartily tired of hearing non-Christians complain about Christmas and being wished "Merry Christmas". I refuse to remove expressions of my faith from my life and dealings with others, and I would never expect non-Christians to do that either. I do, however, expect that a board of adults would refrain from consistently snarky behavior, especially in dealing with such a sensitive topic.

See? I was right.

Dude. Really?

You responded to one of my posts by posting the "chill pill" icon and nothing else. That post is still there for everyone to see at #14. I think it's a little late for you to be all, "I am shocked, shocked at your failure to engage me with civility." Not to mention deploring other people for egging me on.

Yes, dude. Really. And I am not at all shocked by your response. I am not new here.

The chill pill icon has no snarkiness attached to it. I don't make a habit of engaging further with snarky people.

Well it seems I live in a very backwards country. I have never once had anyone wish me Happy Holidays - everyone here still uses Merry Christmas including shop assistants.

75% of my friends in high school were Muslim - I wished them Merry Christmas and they did the same to me -none of them acted offended.

I think if the only thing you can find in your life to get offended about is that someone wished you an innapropriate greeting then you are leading a pretty charmed life.

As for me - people can wish me whatever greeting they want- I have too many real problems to occupy my thoughts then to spend time fretting over whether or not someone who was trying to be friendly offended me with their well wishes:001_rolleyes:.

I think it stems from retailers telling their employees, starting a couple of years ago, that they weren't allowed to say Merry Christmas to customers but they could say Happy Holidays.
But I worked retail back in the '80s (in white/rural/farming/Christian midwest) and we were told to say "Happy Holidays," so as to include everyone. As far as I know, we had one Jewish family in our community and no other religions or nationalities. (The one Jewish family, though, owned the only grocery store in town so were widely known.)

I worked customer service and retail again in the late '90s in a large Southern city and same thing - we were told to say "Happy Holidays."

I think it is just in the past couple years that people have taken offense to it.

I'm Christian but this issue really makes me want to say "Happy Holidays" even more. I get tired of people (here, in the Bible Belt) putting such a strong emphasis on "Christmas" when they say it, like they can't say it casually but have to make a point of where they emphasis the word so you know what they are really saying.

Not to mention deploring other people for egging me on.
All this talk is making me crave (holiday and seasonal) egg-nog. Mmmmmm. Rummy goodness.

All this talk is making me crave (holiday and seasonal) egg-nog. Mmmmmm. Rummy goodness.

I've never been a fan of eggnog, but do you know what's an awesome thing to do with rum? Add it to hot spiced apple cider. Yummmmm.

(And I'm cracking open a Full Sail Wassail here. It helps me cook dinner.)

I simply hate the political correctness of our world. I'll say (or not say) whatever I like and expect everyone else to do the same. I'll not take offense at whatever anyone else says or does not say, within reason, of course (provided they're not cursing me out, etc.), and I'll expect the same sort of respect from others....