Menu

Dog people --

What breed do you have and why do you love your breed? We're thinking about getting a dog, and I'm trying to figure out which breed to get. I'm hoping to get to a dog show next month and look around too, talk to folks there.

(I confess, I've had enough poor experiences with small dogs to have a bias against "emergency back-up dogs"...);)

I have two Great Pyrenees, a lab mix, and a Golden Retriever.

I love all my dogs, but I'll never get another Pyr - they dig, they bark A LOT, and they shed enough to make a whole new pet each year. Our Golden is only about a year old (he's the pooch in my avatar), and dh even said recently that if we'd just found Simon first, we could've stopped after that. :)

He's a fun little guy (slightly smaller than most male Goldens, but not by much) - loves to fetch and play frisbee. He's energetic, but not demanding. He's smart - was housebroken fairly easily & learned basic obedience commands quickly. He's friendly, too, but will bark loudly if he hears someone at the door. He must ALWAYS have something in his mouth, though - he won't even come to the door to greet me until he's grabbed a toy or a shoe or...well, nearly anything will do. It's fantastic - I love it! OTOH, my friend's Golden (champion lines, even) did not get the memo that she's supposed to retrieve. She does love a good game of 'catch me if you can', though. :D

If I were looking for a specific breed, I'm sure I'd choose another Golden, but I'd probably consider labs (they can be hyper, though), too. I'd also still consider a mixed breed pooch.

Edited by WorkInProgress

More than selecting by type of breed, select a dog by temperament!!

Do this test on any prospect puppy (the results work for ANY breed, not just the doberman). Being new to owning a dog, the best first-time-round temperament is one that scores a "C" on all or most of the tests. Do NOT select a dog with mostly "A" and "B" scores -- the dog will be dominant to aggressive, difficult to work with, and will NOT be a "pack" (family) animal. Do NOT select a dog with mostly "D" and "E" scores -- the dog is extremely fearful, possibly a "fear-biter", also very difficult to work with and NOT a good family animal.

This test was very accurate with both of the dogs we have owned -- and a life-saver from accidentally selecting a dog we couldn't handle or that wouldn't fit with our family. I also highly recommend reading through material on the Cesar Millan's website, to understand what a dog needs and how a dog responds. It will save you a ton of trouble in training a dog to fit in with your family!

Finally, do some reading about dog breeds and what their unique needs are. For example, pointers are hunting breeds and need to be run and exercised for hours each day. Greyhounds, ironically, have a low need for large amounts of exercise. Border Collies are the smartest breed around -- but that's a huge challenge to keep "ahead" of them, and to give them all the daily mental workout and challenges they need so they don't get bored, depressed -- and get themselves into trouble. Some breeds are diggers (rottweilers) or chewers (terriers). Others need daily brushing. So often, dog owners get frustrated and end up having a problem dog, when the real problem is that the owner selected the dog for size or looks or whatever, and didn't know about the breed's particular inborn needs -- not something the dog can change about itself.

We love having a dog as part of our family, and hope you will too! BEST of luck in selecting the dog that will be just right for YOUR family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS -- Our first dog was a german shepherd mix: great watch dog, wonderful camping companion, smart and playful. Not so much of a children's dog. We got him as a puppy from the family who put an ad in the paper, and got to "test" about 4 of the 10 puppies we were most interested in, and got to see him in the environment he was born into. Our current dog is a flat-coat retriever, possibly with a little of something else mixed in. Very gentle, loving, very submissive, LOVES retrieving constantly. Loves to be with the family, great with kids. He was approx. 1 year old and a Humane Society rescue.

Edited by Lori D.

We have 2 Saint Bernards, 1 German Shepherd, and a Rough Collie. We got 1 SB when she was 5 and 1 as a puppy- they both have been sweet and cuddly- basically giant area rugs:D. The older girl is very protective, and she does a nice job of alerting us to visitors. She has never gone after anyone, but she growls and keeps an eye on visitors until I back her off. The GSD is wonderful. He is smart- does tricks, loves coming for rides in the car, and a great companion for the kids and I. He also is a good "watch" dog. He is very intimidating (he's actually taller thant the Saints) but is a great listener and extremely well behaved. I got him on craigslist (all of my dogs actually)- he came from a home who loved him, and was forced to rehome after a move across country. The landlord wouldn't let them have a big dog. This led me to our Rough Collie. He came from a family that could not find a home to rent with a large dog. He is beautiful and so sweet. I would recommend each of these breeds.

I used to be skeptical about getting an older dog, but as I said- I have 3 dogs over the age of 4 I found on craigslist. I knew what their temperament was going to be like because the people they came from loved them and wanted them to go to the right home. I still love puppies, but I have been so blessed by these older dogs.

I will always have a GSD. The RC is amazing- my grandfather always had one- always named Sadie (there were at least 4 Sadies!), each one was so loyal and intelligent. Our boy reminds me of my grandpa- and he is just as wonderful as all the Sadies. The Saints are just easy. They really want to please and just be near you. The youngest is only 9 months, she is still figuring out her girth. She has been an easy puppy.

Sorry for the ramble! I just love my dogs;). Best wishes in finding your dog!

I have to say that Lisa's experience is similar to ours. An adult dog is who she is temperament wise and it is so nice to have an already healthy, happy, well-behaved dog. Then you teach them your own rules (for example, we had a blanket our lab could lie on on the white couch so had to train her to use that). Our worst dogs have been those we got as puppies despite me trying to do the "tests" and our best have been 1-6 years old when we got them.

I love our Golden Retriever. He is friendly and safe. I needed a dog that would be good with other people's children, as we often have visitors. He is very obedient--won't open the swinging door between the K and dining room, and that's not just because he hasn't figured it out! lol He came to us as a very slightly pushy 7mo, but learned super-quickly where his place was. The former family had already kennel trained him, as well as a couple basic commands.

He's a content dog. He plays and is so funny to watch with a ball or a bone, but you tell him OK, that's it! and he stops. He is 8 now, but even when younger was able to control himself. He will bark an alert, but he's not "'barky." No digging, no roaming, etc.

His coat is beautiful--so pleasant to touch. It's not all that much work, although we do get him groomed (the works--bathed, brushed, clipped a little, nails) about once every 6 months (he's been twice--it just helps with the shedding and he had some mats b/c we didn't brush quite as much as we should have).

Goldens have soft mouths; they don't hang on like many other breeds (terriers, pitties in particular), and they are very, very sweet.

Growing up I had German Shepard Dogs. They are great. Loyal, protective, great with kids. My mother tells me our GSD used to lay in front of the stairs and push me away when I was a baby crawling around. However, they shed. A lot. Clumps of hair.

When I was older we had a Doberman. Also a great dog. Loyal, protective, loved to play. As a matter of fact, I told my dh that if my dog did not like him when he came to pick me up we would not be going on our date.

We now have a pitbull mix. He is wonderful. Gentle, great with the kids (they snuggle him all day), protective, loyal, he just wants to play all day.

As you can see, I am partial to larger breeds. I find they make great pets. My Doberman and our current dog were both rescues ( a couple of years old when I got them). I will take a rescue dog rated "No concern" any day. They are already housebroken and are usually somewhat trained. You normally just need to teach them the rules of your household and they catch on pretty quick.

We had a German Shepherd growing up, and she was by far, one of the best dogs I've ever known. She used to walk me and my brother to the bus stop every morning, and be waiting for us at the bus stop every afternoon. Of course, that was a different time period than today, but she was the most caring, loving dog.

We now have a yellow labrador and an English mastiff. The labrador is a fantastic dog. She's smart, and a real people-pleaser. My boys crawl all over her and she just basks in the attention. I will say the first two years of her life she was very energetic, and she chewed up ONE of every pair of shoes I owned. But after she grew out of her puppy stage, she was THE perfect dog.

The mastiff is a big, goofy, lug. His bark is way more fierce than his bite (he's never bitten anyone, but he sure does make people think he will). He's not fond of small children - they scare him, but other than that, he's a good boy. He LOVES going out on the boat with us.

I love big dogs, but my next dog will be a smaller dog - just to have a dog that's more portable.

Drawbacks to both dogs:

Lab sheds really bad two times a year when she's shedding her coat.

Mastiff drools like crazy after he's eaten or had a drink.

Short(er) life spans than most breeds.

Mountains of doggy poo to clean up.

Vet bills are based on weight...so bigger vet bills.

They eat a lot more food than a smaller dog.

Edited by Hockey Mom

My beloved Matilda is a mix, pomeranian and poodle and possibly some other stuff in there, too. She weighs about 18 pounds. I cannot imagine our life without her.

I've never cared about breed when taking in a pet, in terms of wanting "pure-bred." I did do some breed research when I was looking for a puppy so I had some idea of the general characteristics and, more imporantly, common health issues of the various dogs I considered. But, since I was looking for a pet and not an accessory, none of it really mattered all that much.

Matilda is smart and sweet and very attached to me. She's nervous around other dogs, but we're coping. She spends pretty much all day sitting at my feet under the computer desk. If I move, she moves. She travels everywhere with me in the car and keeps me company while I hang around waiting for the kids at various theatres . . .

I just can't say enough wonderful things about this dog. She makes my whole life better.

Are you looking for a certain size - medium, large, extra-large? Large yard - indoor or out pet?

We are partial to labs - on our 3rd and 4th (brothers) - we've had since they were 49 days old. We have an acre - not fenced - but use the buried electric fencing system, so they can go out whenever they want.

As with most dogs, as long as you are willing to put in time on some basic training - they are great. We really like the labs temperment - we've had no problems when the kids were little.

But our brown one (as many will say) is a little on the crazy side - he is very smart, but wants to to things his way.

I've had several breeds, and my parents bred dogs as well.

Our current dog is a 'mini pony'. She's a Great Pyr x Akbash. LGD. Very, very protective of our kids. She about loses her flipping mind if they're outside without her. When we got her, we thought we'd be moving to an acreage shortly...unfortunately, that didn't happen, but we still plan to do it, as soon as other issues are sorted out.

Our other family dog was a pug. We've actually had 2. Our first died. He was stinking awesome with the kids, cuddly, lovable, just wonderful.

The 2nd was a highly strung nutbar that we got as an older dog, and ended up having to rehome to someone without young children.

My parents had Akitas, Rotties and Bordeaux. My fave, hands down, was the Bordeaux. (Turner and Hootch dogs). Fantastic personality, laid back, great with kids, completely unhyper.

When we finally get to our acreage, we'll absolutely be getting more dogs. The debate is *which* breed. I'd adore a Bordeaux, but b/c of my disability, handling a 120 lb+ dog could be a challenge...however, starting off as a puppy and establishing training then really negates that. They are oodles of $$$ though.

A 'house pug' is another serious consideration. We really loved the breed.

Then I read about Rough Collie's pup, and have fallen in love with the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier.

*sigh*

I think it'll come down to budget, what's available, and take it from there when we're ready. Also, when we get to the point of a working farm (ie livestock) we'll be adding in LGD. Our current dog could not make that transition...she's completely dedicated to the kids, and sticking her outside would break her heart and cause her to lose her mind.

We have a Golden-Doodle! He's a Golden Retriever bred with a standard poodle- no shedding, and he doesn't bother our allergies at all! We used to have a Golden Retriever, we just loved him and LOVE the breed! He was excellent with the kids, super sweet, but also protective (we live out in the country and I am nervous of people stopping by whom I don't know). He was hit by a car last year. :( Our Golden Doodle is also wonderful with the children, my youngest is 2 and climbs all over him and he never seems to get annoyed, he is playful but no hyper at all. However, he is very friendly and can be a bit jumpy with new people- but he's still under a year so I'm sure he'll grow out of it, he wouldn't scare anyone off. He is fluffy and soft and hardly sheds at all, he's with us almost all the time and there is no extra vacuuming from shedding. Only thing is, as I said, we live in the country and he gets into stuff like burrs and mud puddles and cleaning him up is much more work than a straight coat dog. But I keep handy some scissors and clippers if he is a mess, usually we can brush it out though.

Edited by MrsJewelsRae

We love our Lab! He is wonderful with ds9 and is HIS dog. They are buddies. He is smart, fun, obedient and just fun to be around. Plus, he has a big bark and is protective. Labs are known for being great family dogs and good with kids. We cannot image life without our 110lb dog.

(Confession: I wish he were a little smaller though! :lol:)

I have five right now-one mutt that is likely Golden Retriever and Aussie, or maybe GSD.. who knows! She's a great little dog and I've loved her for 12 years now. :)

Also have a purebred Aussie and she's fun, busy, watchful, codependent, doesn't chase, good with kids and puppies, cute, attentive and SMART.

I have two Blackmouth Curs, one six month old pup and her mother. They're smart, stubborn, houndy, sweet, beautiful, protective, wary of strangers, athletic, and goofy.

And I have a Great Pyrenees and I adore him. He does dig and bark-it's in the breed description! LOL I wanted one for a long long time and researched them extensively. They are such pure dogs, he wants to protect us and be loved, the end. He barks all night at the coyotes and sleeps on the porch guarding us all day. He dug himself one hole by the house when it was so hot this summer so he could keep cool but that's all. He does an instant judgement on all the people and dogs that come here and he has pretty good judgement. He's huge-120 lbs, on eye level with the kitchen counter, and standing on his back legs he's taller than me, I love that. (I'm short) When the crazy neighbor came down yelling at me irrationally it felt like I was holding back an attack pony-he wasn't letting that huge yelling man near me! Otherwise he loves people though... plays with the puppies and so gentle, loves the cats and kids but when the coyotes yip at night he boils up and roars out there warning them to stay away. I just adore him.

I agree with Lori about selecting on temperment. Also, breed dogs are overrated. They frequently have health and temperment issues due to poor breeding. Mixed breed dogs are frequently healthier and happier.

Our two mutts were purchased from the local animal shelter as puppies and both are lovely. They're also cheaper to purchase. Make sure you use a shelter with a good reputation.

I agree with Lori about selecting on temperment. Also, breed dogs are overrated. They frequently have health and temperment issues due to poor breeding. Mixed breed dogs are frequently healthier and happier.

I disagree.

This is where researching the breeder comes in, and making sure that you're buying from a reputable one. A good breeder tests their animals for known genetic issues, has hips xrayed, etc, *and* stands behind their dog...if a problem arises, they'll be responsible for it.

We were all set on a Corgi to train as a small herding dog since we are expanding our menagerie, but then I found a terrier mutt at the shelter and fell in love. She is not at all what I was looking for but exactly what I wanted, plus she was an unlikely candidate for adoption and would have been put down in a few more weeks (nothing wrong with her, but statistically apparently black adult dogs have very low adoption rates in our area). Getting a specific breed for specific traits is all well and good, but don't rule out something else if it falls in your lap. :)

We've got all pound puppies.

The breed is far less important than the training, consistency, and effort YOU put into them.

Sometimes it gets ugly, esp if you wind up with an adult dog that has bad habits that you have to correct.

Our dogs are:

• Redbone Coonhound (HUGE pain in the butt, seriously stubborn and hard to train; leaves the yard constantly in spite of electric fence, etc. Super loving though. She's about a year old so I hope will mellow some as she ages.)
  • Great Dane (Also a PITA until she matured, at about 4 years of age. Very stubborn...but now that she's calmed, down, she's fantastic.)
  • Pitbull mix (Easily the best dog I've ever had. Easy to train, very compliant. Incredibly devoted and sweet to us.)

Again, the training needed is more for the owner, than the dog.

If an owner isn't willing to put the effort in, they stand a chance of having a real nightmare on their hands.

I suggest young adult or puppy if you have children in the house. For safety's sake; I've seen "reliable" adult dogs snap for reasons unknown, and it isn't a pretty sight. With an adult dog, you don't know everything in that dog's past.

Most dogs are fine, but you don't want to be the one in a hundred that gets a dog with hidden "issues".

Agree with the disagree. Hybrid vigor only applies if both parents are reasonably healthy. A lab cross is still very likely to have allergies and leg problems, a GSD cross is still very likely to have hip problems. It just depends on what is in the gene pool!

Yes, this. My lab/husky(/maybe GSD) mix came to us when she was 10 months old; we adopted her through a local rescue when we saw her at a Petsmart. At age 15 months, she had an episode where she could not walk; after several vet visits, including x-rays to a specialist, we were told that she had severe hip dysplasia and moderate stifle joint disease. She's about 7 now; her stifle joint problem is now also severe and the disks are slipping in her back. She still gets around, but you can tell that even with medication, she's in pain.

When we were looking for a Golden Retriever, I contacted GR rescues but because there were none in my county, I could not adopt from them as they all required home visits. I went to see an AKC puppy and was appalled that such a sad little creature was technically papered by the AKC: at 8-weeks old, she was so fat that she could not walk, and she was the saddest little pup - no eye contact, wouldn't come to anyone, etc. She needed to be seen by a vet, IMO, but the breeder assured me she'd snap out of it once we brought her home. Breeder said that she had been wormed three times, so she shouldn't have been full of parasites. However, what she hadn't told me on the phone was that the pup's parents were a father and daughter. The breeder kept them all in a dirty little building, and she had a fenced-off area (about 1/4 of an acre) where she kept 14 Golden Retrievers. Clearly, it was a business to her. We left without the pup.

Eventually, the one we brought home - well, he's not papered, but he's wonderful. He and his littermates, while not allowed in the house, were kept in an immaculately clean (and essentially empty) garage. They were all playful, but the one we brought home was the one who was calmest and so sweet, and who then crawled into my son's lap and went to sleep. It was a good indicator - he is a very calm dog, and as someone mentioned, he has a soft mouth and was never nippy as a puppy.

When my friend was searching for a breeder, most of those she saw were in better shape than the above, but oddly, most of them seemed unhealthy. She finally found a fantastic breeder who only bred her dogs once every 18 months, the pups were kept in her house, and you just knew that the breeder was responsible and caring. My goodness, but the pup my friend brought home was/is gorgeous! She came with a price tag, though - IIRC, the pup was $1500.

We also had a backyard breeder situation across the street from where I live. If you choose to go with a breeder, go to their home and see where the puppies are kept. That neighbor charged $1000 for her Maltese puppies, but the mom was fed Ol' Roy and the animals were solely a money-making operation for her.

If I had had the option to adopt from a breed rescue, I would have been happy to adopt an adult. That just was not an option for me because of where I live.

I have to put a plug in for the American Eskimo.

We had two standards (Maggie was put down a year ago at 12; Chewy just 2 months ago at 12) and they were fabulous. We now have Jedediah, and he's a miniature. He's 4 months old.

Eskies do have a ton of energy (they rank up there with Border Collies, and are called pesky Eskies for a reason), and they shed an insane amount (not for the faint of heart), but they are the most loyal, the sweetest, intelligent, and fun dogs.

Our first dog was a GSD mix from a shelter. She had been highly abused/neglected as a pup and came to us after being in the shelter for nearly 6 months. We paid for a professional trainer to TRAIN US on how to work with her. She was a great dog-- but she did have some hang-ups (due to her history). Our children were 3 and 5 when we got her.

Our next 3 dogs were full German Shepherds. All have been/were great family dogs. Ours spend most of the time in our house (laying in select places so we have to 'pay a toll' --rub their tummy-- before we can move on). I worked with them extensively their first year-- and quite a bit the second year as well. The training time paid off and my boys have been well behaved GREAT family dogs (as long as you do not mind the shedding hair).

The last dog we acquired is 'mostly' German Shepherd. She came to us from a local rescue group. If she is a full 'German Shepherd' then it was not a quality breeding... I really do think she has at least 1/4 lab in her...

Like the first dog we 'rescued'-- Tasha has some issues. She is anxious and is viscous towards other dogs (not in our family). She is wonderful with kids and has excellent manners (she work with a professional trainer while in rehab at the rescue center). She will ALWAYS have issues because she was a rescue dog with a stormy past... but she is the SWEETEST and HAPPIEST dog we have ever had...as long as she does not see a dog she does not know...

Our current male (a solid white) GS is fighting cancer (a RARE thing at his age)... we will DEFINITELY get another GSD when he is gone... his breeder is willing to give us a puppy next spring... but it will be a white puppy-- DH and I really rather have another black and tan (white hair shows up EVERYWHERE--the black and tan hair blends in better!).... but at over $1000 for a quality pup, we may take the free one from the breeder. Good breeders stand behind their animals... this cancer is a 'fluke'... but we love our guy anyway!

--

If you choose to rescue a dog--especially a medium to large dog--get one with a history you can trace (like from a family that loved them but must part with them for a good reason like moving)... taking on a dog that had been neglected or abused is a LOT OF WORK--and can be dangerous for children. I paid big $$$ for a trainer to teach ME how to work with my first dog--and that training has carried over. I'm now a confident ALPHA and my dogs are well behaved and well loved.

Boxers are great with kids, non-barkers, and a great active/passive mix. They do drool and fart. But seriously, do tons of research and if this your first dog, get a dog from a shelter, pound, or rescue. Rescued dogs usually have been tested for kid friendliness and house training and the foster parents can give you a heads up on the personality or temperament. Make a list of the things important to you and go from there comparing breeds, sizes, etc. I hate barking so my quite boxers are perfect.

We have rescued and either owned or fostered until a home was found:

-Chow mix-lovely dog devoted to us and the kids

-Dalmation-was a pain in the hind end, then turned kooky

-Fox Hound- sweet sweet, but houndy

-Lab Mix-excellent boy, but started killing chickens...gave him to a friend who loves him dearly

-Great Dane- my favorite breed...must do homework on breeders though and you will pay through the nose for a good one. She was a rescue though.

-Border Collie Mix-a sweet rescue but turned out to be a biter

-little terrier mix-so sweet, but rehomed because of our GSD

We now have:

-a pitt mix, my total shadow. A frisbee dog and loves to hang with the horses and I.

-a GSD- total love, but has a prey drive...does not like strangers male or female.

-beagle. Sweet sweet, smells like a hound...likes to roll in the nastiest stuff if the opportunity presents itself. Loves her people though. Is seriously loud at times.

I love hounds and we've had 3 beagles in the last 12 years. They are awesome! Sometimes loud but so lovable. They are smaller (25 lbs), don't require much grooming but do shed. I would recommend them if you have a fenced yard though because they are lead by their nose.....and can get going without paying much attention to anything else. They love to go for walks and have been good with my kids. Who can resist their sweet faces and soft ears. They love to eat...so you have to watch that they don't get fat. We just lost our female last week....and my kids are already asking if we can get another one. We love beagles!

Good luck picking what works for your family!

Our current dog is a beagle mix. She is great with the kids, and I adore her. But the hound dog in her is, well, hound doggy. Howling, baying, and barking. Constant counter cruising. Sometimes she reminds us of the Bumpus's (sp?) dogs in the movie A Christmas Story. But a complete and utter lovebug. And a great mix of playful, watchful, and snuggly.

My previous dogs were giants - a pyr/lab, and a newf/saint. Our pyr/lab had issues from being abused, so although we loved him dearly, I can't speak on those breeds much. But my newf/saint was the. best. dog. ever. Ever ever. I cannot begin to express how wonderful she was. I really would love another newf or newfie mix. But like another poster said, vet bills go up with the size of the dog. And newfies shed and drool. I still think there's no better breed.

I have a rottie/lab/hound/strange other mix and a lab/pit mix.

I would probably not get a rottie or rottie mix again. Our dog is loving and sweet and I generally love rottweilers but she, like most of them, is STUBBORN and super strong (especially with her too-short legs that give her a ridiculous amount of torque) and demands a far more disciplined owner. Especially since she's so darn clever.:glare: I would never give her up, she's a huge teddy bear who thinks she's a lap dog, but we won't do the rottie thing again. It may not just be the rottie bit though. We think she's part hound and that combined with the strength seems to make for a determined runner who takes forever to be caught.

The lab/pit mix is super. Very people oriented and smart. She is fearful though but I think that's a thing with her specifically because I know some of her litter mates and they aren't the same way. I would likely go for that mix again. She sticks close to the kids outside, doesn't bother the chickens beyond running through them a few times, comes when called, talks (the vocalizations she comes up with are wild) and needs her people intensely.

I consistently hear wonderful things about pit mixes - I'm not the only adoring fan.

Edited by WishboneDawn

Our current dog is a beagle mix. She is great with the kids, and I adore her. But the hound dog in her is, well, hound doggy. Howling, baying, and barking. Constant counter cruising. Sometimes she reminds us of the Bumpus's (sp?) dogs in the movie A Christmas Story. But a complete and utter lovebug. And a great mix of playful, watchful, and snuggly.

My previous dogs were giants - a pyr/lab, and a newf/saint. Our pyr/lab had issues from being abused, so although we loved him dearly, I can't speak on those breeds much. But my newf/saint was the. best. dog. ever. Ever ever. I cannot begin to express how wonderful she was. I really would love another newf or newfie mix. But like another poster said, vet bills go up with the size of the dog. And newfies shed and drool. I still think there's no better breed.

We had a newfie growing up. HUGE dogs but with the sweetest personalities ever. I don't think there's a kinder, gentler dog then a newfie.

We have had a few dogs.

Right now we have Texas, a 5-6 year old Australian shepherd (likely mix). She was a rescue and one that was listed at being an OUTDOOR DOG---very very rare in the rescue/adoption world. She had just weaned a little of puppies when we got her 2 years ago. She was super scared of everything, including us at first.

She went from barely coming out of her coop to see us to making herself queen of my loveseat :-)

She has been a wonderful dog but she can be higher energy. She has burst of energy and can go 100mph but then crash and not move for hours. Not likely the best dog for small homes/apartments unless they can get lots of exercise.

We have 5 acres and a hobby farm so she is outside a lot with me caring for the animals, going on trail rides with us with the horses, taking long walks, etc.

She NEVER had an accident in the house even though she had never been in a house before we got her. She started just coming in for a few minutes at a time and then wanting right back out---never daring to leave the rug by the door and over time she worked her way to the living room and then up to the love seat and sleeping in the house at night.

She also does all of her pooping in the woods, never in the lawn so in the 2 years we have had her, we haven't had to pick up any dog poop at all which is WONDERFUL.

If you do go with a purebed, I agree, that you need to check out the health of the parents and conditions before you buy. I have seen some poor conditions at "puppy mills" that claimed they were family raised dogs. We once had a litter of lab mix puppies (10 of them born outside when it was snowing--who then moved into my kitchen) and the vet said those puppies were the healthiest litter she had seen as so many purebreds she saw were not that healthy. Then again a friend of mine breeds German Shepherds and she does a litter ever 18 months of so per mom and drives 6+ hours to breed to a good father, socializes them very well, they have outdoor playtime, etc. I would take one of her dogs.

I wanted to add, after our Golden Retriever died we fully intended to adopt from a shelter, and went several times to look at the dogs. But we had a 2 yr old and we wanted a dog that we were certain of it's history. In the end, we didn't trust the lady that worked at the shelter. She walked through with us and recommended dogs that she was clearly just trying to get rid of. At one point she insisted a vicious black lab was the dog for us- only moments before he was lunging at the bars going for my throat!? :001_huh: I couldn't believe she would suggest him, knowing we had 3 kids, including a baby. :glare: We ended up getting our Golden-Doodle from a breeder. They were a homeschooling family, so the kids spent a lot of time with the dogs, caring for them, the kennel was pristine, warm and well kept. We brought him home at 8 weeks and we just adore him!

We have a Portuguese Water Dog. I love him, he's a character. Easiest puppy I've raised ever, I'd say school and he'd go lay under the table and rest until I'd say okay break time. He's huge for his breed but no bigger than a lab. No health issues at all and he's now 7 1/2. Love that he doesn't shed. Down side is they are expensive.

Another dog I had that I loved was a boxer. She was a doll, happy, energetic, loveable, funny, smart. Downside she had just about every health issue that boxers can have, so her live was short.

Our lab mix was really sweet too but as a puppy we'd have to take her swimming for over an hour each night just to have a little peace. Her need to retrieve as pretty extreme. She was great with kids.

Kids now want a little dog so I'm trying to find a non shedding little dog good with kids.

Wow!! You guys don't fool around when you answer dog questions!! Today is crazy - I've got a sick kid, an old friend visiting town, and people coming tonight and tomorrow. But I'll be back to absorb the wisdom of the hive as soon as possible! Maybe I can squeeze a little time out at naptime... we'll see.

Thanks all!

...my newf/saint was the. best. dog. ever. Ever ever. I cannot begin to express how wonderful she was...

You don't have to, for me! The St. Bernard I had as a young adult was fantastic, temperament-wise. You couldn't ask for better temperament.

But yeah, shedding. Bleh.

I'm working my way through the replies, and a couple of you have mentioned that you love your dogs, but they drool. How gross is that? What do you do to clean it up?

You say droolly dogs, and I'm seeing that scene from Turner and Hooch where Hooch shakes himself and the drool flies... something like this:

:lol::lol:

Obviously, this is not real.:tongue_smilie:

Are you looking for a certain size - medium, large, extra-large? Large yard - indoor or out pet?

We are partial to labs - on our 3rd and 4th (brothers) - we've had since they were 49 days old. We have an acre - not fenced - but use the buried electric fencing system, so they can go out whenever they want.

As with most dogs, as long as you are willing to put in time on some basic training - they are great. We really like the labs temperment - we've had no problems when the kids were little.

But our brown one (as many will say) is a little on the crazy side - he is very smart, but wants to to things his way.

I was thinking in the mid-range on size. We'd considered a husky about a year ago, but that didn't work out. A good friend of mine breeds labs, and her dogs are a little bigger than the huskies, but wonderful dogs. I've seriously considered getting a female of her chocolate's next litter. Though she also got this adorable little black pup... but I'd like to get a dog before Cora gets old enough to welp! We're suburban and we'd really like to go rural if we can find the right property.

When we were looking at the husky I looked into training, and I've since talked to my friend & she's got a number of resources should we run into problems. We're also supposed to go to a dog show next month if the timing works out. I'm thinking that the agility competitions sound like fun, and I'd like to see one in person.

How can you find a reputable breeder? Where's a good place to start? (Sorry to hijack!)

Totally not a hijack!! This sort of question is exactly what I'm trying to figure out too now. I've been browsing all through the AKC's site. Since I'd done some research on huskies previously I've been using them to kind of figure things out with, though I'm not for sure going to choose them. They may be a bit active for our family at this point. I've got little kids - and want to have some more, and I need to make sure that my dog can handle having a period of less exercise when that happens. I'm not sure a husky could: everybody says that they need tons. Hence the question in the OP, and I'll be taking a trip to a dog show soon, I hope. :)

I'...

Obviously, this is not real.:tongue_smilie:

Yes it is. With the jowl-ey dogs it is! We've had huge strings of slimy foam stretched across walls, even once he (our great dane/hound mix Maynard) shook his head and the slobber slapped all the way across the TV screen.

So you're looking for what's called a "neat mouth". Our great dane has a neat mouth, although many don't.

If you go with a dog that doesn't have big floppy lips you might be okay.

Better to just get past the "yuck" aspect of dog slobber and find the humor. It really isn't harmful and many of the very best breeds are droolers.

Case in point: English Mastiff

Edited by bbkaren

I like the idea of talking to a local vet and visiting a dog show is a great way to get an idea of what type of dog you want.

My dog is a Border Collie rescued from a shelter where he was about to be euthanized. He is incredibly loyal, sensitive and sweet. However, he does have issues with some strange dogs. I'm not sure when he began to develop them. He is the first dog I trained for a crate and some obedience. When he got older I did some agility with him and he does well, but is now too old and has leg/hip issues.

My Ds has a Cocker Spaniel rescue we got when he was still apuppy. He was very easy to train and is awesome at agility and obedience. Ds trains him with his 4H club and is beginning to show him at AKC events now that he has become a Jr handler. We've worked a lot on socialization with this dog, but he is still timid and afraid of strange people. He doesn't bite, he's just a shrinking violet --except when it comes to agility!

We tried adopting a retired show Cocker from a breeder for my Dd last spring. It did not work out. Poor little dog hadn't been out of her crate much except for shows. She had many issues (including some scary possessiveness of Dd and no interest in the rest of the family) and we just could not devote the time needed to help her. She went back to her breeder.

We visited a lot of breeders to find a dog for Dd for 4h. Many were AKC breeders, but were no better than puppy mills. Visiting a breeder is a good idea. It tells you a lot. After a lot of searching, Dd has an English Springer Spaniel we bought from an AKC breeder of merit who happens to live close by. Her puppy came to us crate trained, sleeping through the night, and knowing several obedience commands. The breeder is also giving my dd private handling classes and teaching me how to groom. At 6 months old he already performs several agility obstacles off lead for Dd and knows many more obedience commands. She is taking handling classes and will show him for confirmation in a couple of months. He is a great all around dog--does it all--agility, obedience, and strutting his stuff for the show ring. He's the smartest dog I've ever met--though he may be tied with my Border Collie.

Anyway we love all three of these dogs and they all cuddle very nicely. Cockers are tricky to find though. So many have personality issues and they seem to be bred to be tinier and tinier. Ours is very sturdy and could truly do what Cockers are meant to do, which is perform in the field.

Attached some photos of our 3 guys...

post-2427-1353508567068_thumb.jpg

post-2427-13535085670985_thumb.jpg

post-2427-13535085671326_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of talking to a local vet and visiting a dog show is a great way to get an idea of what type of dog you want.

My dog is a Border Collie rescued from a shelter where he was about to be euthanized. He is incredibly loyal, sensitive and sweet. However, he does have issues with some strange dogs. I'm not sure when he began to develop them. He is the first dog I trained for a crate and some obedience. When he got older I did some agility with him and he does well, but is now too old and has leg/hip issues.

My Ds has a Cocker Spaniel rescue we got when he was still apuppy. He was very easy to train and is awesome at agility and obedience. Ds trains him with his 4H club and is beginning to show him at AKC events now that he has become a Jr handler. We've worked a lot on socialization with this dog, but he is still timid and afraid of strange people. He doesn't bite, he's just a shrinking violet --except when it comes to agility!

We tried adopting a retired show Cocker from a breeder for my Dd last spring. It did not work out. Poor little dog hadn't been out of her crate much except for shows. She had many issues (including some scary possessiveness of Dd and no interest in the rest of the family) and we just could not devote the time needed to help her. She went back to her breeder.

We visited a lot of breeders to find a dog for Dd for 4h. Many were AKC breeders, but were no better than puppy mills. Visiting a breeder is a good idea. It tells you a lot. After a lot of searching, Dd has an English Springer Spaniel we bought from an AKC breeder of merit who happens to live close by. Her puppy came to us crate trained, sleeping through the night, and knowing several obedience commands. The breeder is also giving my dd private handling classes and teaching me how to groom. At 6 months old he already performs several agility obstacles off lead for Dd and knows many more obedience commands. She is taking handling classes and will show him for confirmation in a couple of months. He is a great all around dog--does it all--agility, obedience, and strutting his stuff for the show ring. He's the smartest dog I've ever met--though he may be tied with my Border Collie.

Anyway we love all three of these dogs and they all cuddle very nicely. Cockers are tricky to find though. So many have personality issues and they seem to be bred to be tinier and tinier. Ours is very sturdy and could truly do what Cockers are meant to do, which is perform in the field.

Attached some photos of our 3 guys...

Those photos are fun - especially the one of your ds & the jumping dog. Spaniels are something that I'd never considered, but they're so pretty - I really like the look of the Springer Spaniels. Gotta love those ears! (Lab's ears are my favorite parts too, lol) Is that long fur a problem to keep nice? How's the shedding?

Yes it is. With the jowl-ey dogs it is! We've had huge strings of slimy foam stretched across walls, even once he (our great dane/hound mix Maynard) shook his head and the slobber slapped all the way across the TV screen.

So you're looking for what's called a "neat mouth". Our great dane has a neat mouth, although many don't.

If you go with a dog that doesn't have big floppy lips you might be okay.

Better to just get past the "yuck" aspect of dog slobber and find the humor. It really isn't harmful and many of the very best breeds are droolers.

Case in point: English Mastiff

:lol::lol::lol: That video is a riot!!

What does the drool do to the couch? Or, do you just not allow them on the couch/bed/soft furniture? Does it wipe up decently? Can you wipe the dog's face and have a break for a couple hours? We just bought me an awesome chaise lounge thing, and we need a new couch (don't by LaCrosse brand), and finding a happy balance between the proposed dog and nice furniture is one of the thoughts brewing in the back of my mind.

Right now, the breeds on my "short list" are:

Labs

Huskies

Mastiff

Newfoundlands

Springer Spaniels

I haven't talked to my husband about any of them except for huskies, and he's not really a "dog person" so that complicates the whole process. The fact that he likes huskies is a huge mark in their favor, but I've got reservations about their activity level so I don't know... it's so hard to choose!!

:lol::lol::lol: That video is a riot!!

What does the drool do to the couch? Or, do you just not allow them on the couch/bed/soft furniture? Does it wipe up decently? Can you wipe the dog's face and have a break for a couple hours? We just bought me an awesome chaise lounge thing, and we need a new couch (don't by LaCrosse brand), and finding a happy balance between the proposed dog and nice furniture is one of the thoughts brewing in the back of my mind.

Right now, the breeds on my "short list" are:

Labs

Huskies

Mastiff

Newfoundlands

Springer Spaniels

I haven't talked to my husband about any of them except for huskies, and he's not really a "dog person" so that complicates the whole process. The fact that he likes huskies is a huge mark in their favor, but I've got reservations about their activity level so I don't know... it's so hard to choose!!

You do know huskies are notorious escape artists. I would be worried with young kids opening doors and dog escaping.

I vote for German shepherd or cheasapeake bay retriever.

Just be aware that three of the breeds you listed are very very prone to health problems-the lab, the Newfie, and the mastiffs! I used to work for an ortho veterinarian and all of these labs were famous for leg problems (especially from NOT ENOUGH EXERCISE and early neutering (which no vet in their right mind is going to not recommend)) You want a penn hip, not the outdated (and pretty much arbitrary) OFA. http://research.vet.upenn.edu/Default.aspx?alias=research.vet.upenn.edu/pennhip

Allergies are also a risk with a lab-they're the MOST allergic of all the breeds now.

You're also in serious drool territory there too! LOL My Great Pyrenees drools sometimes too but I usually have a rag around and just wipe his mouth if he's getting petted.

Springers can be really nice dogs, my grandfather has had six of them and all but the last one (from the OK springer rescue, stay away from them!) have been really nice dogs.

LOVE me a Boston, the perfect dog!

Huskies can be a really nice dog, aloof with some people but real nice dogs I think.

Labs shed constantly-not seasonally.

Edited by livingnlearning