Menu

For Those Who Didn't Nurse...

Ok, I nursed my other 4 babies, but health issues make it impossible for me to do so this time.

My question is about what happens when you aren't nursing. Physically, I mean.

I know there's a shot they give you to help dry you up, but I don't know anyone that has done this, at least in the last decade or so. I'm wondering how effective the shot is, how bad engorgement can get, and if there are any tips or tricks you can offer to make it less physically miserable.

I know what it was like when my babies first started sleeping through the night, missing feeds, and how painful that was, so if there's any advice out there on how to make this the slightest bit easier, I'd appreciate it.

I breastfed, but I can tell you that they don't give a shot anymore. Cabbage leaves in your bra are one of the best remedies for engorgement out there. You can also do mint or parsley infusions, they both inhibit lactation. Ice packs can help with the pain. :grouphug:

WHAT?! I'm going to have to ask about this...I was sure a Dr told me about the shot recently...wth?

When I had my (kids 13 and 11 years ago) they no longer gave the shot. They had not given it in decades. I do remember I wore a snug fitting bra for a a week. If my breasts were bothering me I would use a bag of frozen peas on each one. But, I think I only did that once. I don't recall it as being a horrible experience. I do remember the nurse telling me to keep my breasts out of the hot water when I showered (as much as possible) because the warm water would stimulate production.

I breastfed, but I can tell you that they don't give a shot anymore. Cabbage leaves in your bra are one of the best remedies for engorgement out there. You can also do mint or parsley infusions, they both inhibit lactation. Ice packs can help with the pain. :grouphug:

I believe the shot is linked to heart problems. Some doctors still give it, but mine wouldn't even consider it. I did a tiny bit of hand expressing or manual pumping to let off the pressure (but not enough to stimulate production) and then stuck the cabbage leaves in the bra. Just put fresh ones in every hour or so. I still laugh when I think about ds (now 14, but 3 at the time) talking about the "salad" in mommy's bra! (He did nurse and at that time still remembered it so it wasn't too weird.)

Yes, yes, yes on the cabbage. I didn't nurse Indy at all due to medication issues and cabbage leaves made me feel so much better when my milk came in.

I nursed Han Solo for a month (it didn't go well) and I used cabbage again to help with the pain until my milk dried up.

It didn't take more than a week for it to dry up either time.

Raw? Cooked? I've never heard of this. And it's for drying up your supply or just helps w/ engorgement in general? :bigear:

I only bf my first for a week, I wish I knew back than about the cabbage leaves. I hand expressed a little to relieve the pressure. Not enough to stimulate production but just enough to release the pressure valve lol I remember hand expressing a little and not being able to "turn off" the flow. It just kept spraying. I wore face cloths in my bra rather than nursing pads because I let down so much without doing anything. I just leaked like crazy for the first week after I stopped nursing. I don't know how long is to be expected for your supply to actually dry up, it took about 2.5 weeks for me, but only the first week had that crazy engorgement.

Raw? Cooked?

Raw. Just put the cabbage in the fridge so it's nice & chilled. Then, peel off leaves & cover your breasts with the leaves. Putting a bra on helps hold the leaves in place. The leaves will wilt in about an hour, so change them out then. Yes, you will smell a bit like cole slaw :lol:, but the relief you will feel is very quick.

I think the engorgement varies from person to person. Mine was HORRIBLE both times. Truly, it was the worst thing I experienced during pregnancy, labor, and afterward. :( I was completely miserable and in agony for about a week. I really, really hope that it isn't as bad for you. :grouphug:

I did everything that they tell you to do. I wore a super-tight bra 24/7. I used cabbage leaves. I didn't express any milk (because you are supposed to dry up more quickly if you don't). None of it seemed to help. :glare: If I were to have another baby now, I think that I would express some of the milk just to relieve the pressure.

I used the cabbage leaves myself. I would separate and clean the leaves and put them in the freezer. About 20 mins before I would use the leaves I would put them in the frig to defrost a little bit then stick one leaf for each breast. It took about an hour to an hour and a half to wilt. It took about 36 hours for me to dry up. But you have to let your milk come in first. The cabbage has some sort of enzyme that helps dry up your milk. I tried to breastfeed but my daughter would not latch on plus I was living with my parents and they were not supportive at all. They wanted to feed the baby. I tried to pump but I had a manual pump and that stuff hurt. The La Lecha lady told me about the cabbage leaves. This was 16 years ago. I think they were still doing the shot but I was already seeing the La Lecha lady because I had planned to nurse.

Raw? Cooked? I've never heard of this. And it's for drying up your supply or just helps w/ engorgement in general? :bigear:

Raw cabbage leaves directly on your breasts.

Infusion=as an herbal tea. Spearmint, sage and parsley will all help dry up milk. But, only if you are drinking a lot of it. A little parsley in your food will not affect your supply.

You could also consider taking an antihistimine. Many moms find that taking those while nursing causes a drop in supply (it can dry up your nose and your milk).

Generally speaking what cabbage does is reduce edema - swelling. You could also use it on a swollen knee.

This site is directed at people who want breastfeeding information, but it still covers the cabbage information:http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml - he's a reputable Canadian physician. Under "engorgement" you can find the cabbage information (the link opens as a .pdf).

I ask gently... are you interested in seeing if your medical condition (medications?) are actually compatible with breastfeeding? Doctors often rely on the Physician's Desk Reference when deciding if medications are compatible with breastfeeding, which isn't the best source for various reasons. This is an American link: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;108/3/776/T6 and many La Leche League leaders have a copy of Medications and Mother's Milk which is authored by a respected pharmacologist. And if you're not, that's okay and you don't need to explain. I've just heard of mothers who were angry to find out that [whatever medication] is actually compatible with breastfeeding after they've weaned (or never started).

I think the engorgement varies from person to person. Mine was HORRIBLE both times. Truly, it was the worst thing I experienced during pregnancy, labor, and afterward. :( I was completely miserable and in agony for about a week. I really, really hope that it isn't as bad for you. :grouphug:

I did everything that they tell you to do. I wore a super-tight bra 24/7. I used cabbage leaves. I didn't express any milk (because you are supposed to dry up more quickly if you don't). None of it seemed to help. :glare: If I were to have another baby now, I think that I would express some of the milk just to relieve the pressure.

Binding is one of those things that hasn't been recommended by the lactation community for years and years. They were recommending against it when my dd was born, and she is almost 16.

I had to dry up to wean DS2 for my own health reasons. The cabbage works. It should be raw and chilled. Run a rolling pin over the leaf to bruise it first so some of the juice is oozing out. This also make the leaf more flexible and easier to wrap around yourself.

You can also consume strong peppermint tea, tea made with parsley, and food seasoned with sage.

Sudafed (the real kind you have to sign for now) also helps to dry you up.

Avoid warm shower water directly on your bOOks or anything that warms them up and makes them leak.

I ask gently... are you interested in seeing if your medical condition (medications?) are actually compatible with breastfeeding? Doctors often rely on the Physician's Desk Reference when deciding if medications are compatible with breastfeeding, which isn't the best source for various reasons. This is an American link: http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;108/3/776/T6 and many La Leche League leaders have a copy of Medications and Mother's Milk which is authored by a respected pharmacologist. And if you're not, that's okay and you don't need to explain. I've just heard of mothers who were angry to find out that [whatever medication] is actually compatible with breastfeeding after they've weaned (or never started).

There's no doubt that I cannot nurse this go 'round.

She has RSD. It is a nervous system disorder. The problem has nothing to do with medications. I am an extremely staunch breastfeeding advocate, but mom knows best.

Actually, it does factor in. The pain meds, etc I'll have to be back on are not compatible, as well as back on other meds to control muscle spasms, lidocaine infusions, etc.

Its not a one note issue, that's for sure.

I've gone off all RSD meds during this pregnancy...the idea of baby going through withdrawal of methadone, etc was not something I was willing to do...nor would him getting that and other meds via nursing be acceptable to me.

Actually, it does factor in. The pain meds, etc I'll have to be back on are not compatible, as well as back on other meds to control muscle spasms, lidocaine infusions, etc.

I've gone off all RSD meds during this pregnancy...the idea of baby going through withdrawal of methadone, etc was not something I was willing to do...nor would him getting that and other meds via nursing be acceptable to me.

The RSD on its own is enough. I am very sorry that you are going through any of this. :grouphug:

The RSD on its own is enough. I am very sorry that you are going through any of this. :grouphug:

Thanks, Mrs. Mungo. I really appreciate the support and understanding.

I've had more than enough ppl try and tell me that I could nurse, that I can do without the meds, that I'm being selfish and denying my baby what's best, that obviously he's not as important to me as my older kids are, otherwise I'd suck it up and nurse.

Its really hurtful.

I'm sorry you're going to have to deal with this on top of everything else. I know that peppermint really does a number on my supply. A couple of months ago, I drank two peppermint mochas in one day without thinking, and my little guy was not a happy camper that night.

My reccomendation would be an antihistamine, strong peppermint tea, and cabbage. :grouphug:

I didn't get any shot at all. Also, I don't recall any discomfort. I think I wore nursing pads in my bra for a little while in case of leakage. Other than that, it was no big deal.

I was the same way. I didn't breastfeed any of my kids but never had much in the way of discomfort. If I had any a couple advil would do the trick, I did wear nursing pads for a little in case of leakage like the above poster said.

Ok, I nursed my other 4 babies, but health issues make it impossible for me to do so this time.

My question is about what happens when you aren't nursing. Physically, I mean.

I know there's a shot they give you to help dry you up, but I don't know anyone that has done this, at least in the last decade or so. I'm wondering how effective the shot is, how bad engorgement can get, and if there are any tips or tricks you can offer to make it less physically miserable.

I know what it was like when my babies first started sleeping through the night, missing feeds, and how painful that was, so if there's any advice out there on how to make this the slightest bit easier, I'd appreciate it.

Around here no one does the shot anymore. My grandma said something about it, back in her day, but that's all I've ever heard about it.

It can be kind of painful for the first few days once the milk comes in (I guess that's when it is? A few days after birth.) I wore a bra all the time, and it's important NOT to stand under warm water (like just stand there, because of the warm water helping with the pain... obviously, you have to take a shower lol) or express any milk at all for temporary relief. It only works against you in the long run. It goes away after a couple days or so maybe...I'm sorry, I actually don't remember how long it is...with DD, she was in the NICU and was unable to cry (respirator), so I think that made everything dry up quicker! So my last experience with it is almost 6 years ago.

Hope everything goes well! And don't worry about not being able to nurse (not that you are - I'm just saying, just in case. :) ) - I know that a lot of women consider it uber-important, but I've seen no noticeable difference in health or 'bonding' between breastfed or formula fed babies. :)

When my younger dd was born 11 years ago, I leaked from September when she was born till December. And we're not talking little bits. I had to wear nursing pads and change them frequently. I did not nurse either dd but my mom thinks I had enough for twins or triplets with dd11. I wish I would have known about cabbage! I wonder if it would have worked. All that to say that even with the unreasonably long leakage the doctor wouldn't consider giving me a shot for it.

:grouphug::grouphug: Wow! People are idiots! Again, I am all for going back to a society in which people kept their opinions to themselves and did not comment on personal issues unless directly invited to do so!

Sorry Imp.

I couldn't nurse baby number #4. I won't regale you with the life-threatening issues I faced, but suffice it to say, milk wasn't even going to come in after that...too much trauma...too much blood loss, too much everything.

But, I did nurse #3 for only three months because we had been unable to identify his digestives issues and I was so anemia, low on b vitamins, you name it....another near bleed out after birth so my body was not in good shape and there were mega health concerns for me and frankly, I'm not even sure how nutrient dense my milk was because I was in such poor shape, so though I had a great supply despite the problem, I had to dry up. I was sore for about a week and the frozen peas plus an antihistime really helped. It was over in 7 days. My assumption would be that if you do not breast feed from the start so you aren't establishing a supply, that you might not be as engorged or take as much time before you feel relief.

I'm sorry many are jerks. No one knows until they've walked in another's shoes and they should just keep their traps clamped shut! But I remember the lactation consultant that came to the room and I was so weak I couldn't lift my arms or head and at times, drifted in and out of consciousness, and she got in my face and told me the only excuse for a mother to not bf. was to be a dead mother and stalked out of the room.

Chin up, you have lots of support here! I think that the cabbage leaves combined with the peppermint tea sounds like a good idea!

Faith

But I remember the lactation consultant that came to the room and I was so weak I couldn't lift my arms or head and at times, drifted in and out of consciousness, and she got in my face and told me the only excuse for a mother to not bf. was to be a dead mother and stalked out of the room.

Chin up, you have lots of support here! I think that the cabbage leaves combined with the peppermint tea sounds like a good idea!

Faith

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. :glare:

In case peppermint tea does not appeal to you, Breyers mint chocolate chip ice cream (or probably any all-natural mint ice cream) dropped my supply a fairly noticeable amount too. It wasn't desirable in my case, but in your case, it could be a great excuse to eat tons of yummy ice cream :D

:grouphug:

Oh, also, stay away from things that boost your supply for awhile too--oatmeal is a big one, but there are others (beer, barley, etc.).

In case peppermint tea does not appeal to you, Breyers mint chocolate chip ice cream (or probably any all-natural mint ice cream) dropped my supply a fairly noticeable amount too. It wasn't desirable in my case, but in your case, it could be a great excuse to eat tons of yummy ice cream :D

Oh, also, stay away from things that boost your supply for awhile too--oatmeal is a big one, but there are others (beer, barley, etc.).

You heard it hear Imp! Get yourself a couple gallons of Mint Chocolate Chip medicine and go to town! :D

That's really rude of people to try to tell you how you feel about your baby. What do they know? How is a breastfed baby with a useless and possibly resentful mother who's constantly in unbearable pain any better off than a formula fed baby with a healthier mom? Idiots.

Are you at risk for PPD? For some women not breastfeeding can increase the risks of PPD. Their bodies act like they're mourning the loss of their babies. As far as your body knows if the baby was okay you'd be nursing it, and you're not nursing, so the baby must not be okay. One of my friends had a really rough time with that.

Edited by Carpe

That's really rude of people to try to tell you have you feel about your baby. What do they know? How is a breastfed baby with a useless and possibly resentful mother who's constantly in unbearable pain any better off than a formula fed baby with a healthier mom? Idiots.

Are you at risk for PPD? For some women not breastfeeding can increase the risks of PPD. Their bodies act like they're mourning the loss of their babies. As far as your body knows if the baby was okay you'd be nursing it, and you're not nursing, so the baby must not be okay. One of my friends had a really rough time with that.

At risk for PPD? Probably. Pain puts me at risk for depression as it is.

Mmmmm, chocolate mint ice cream....

I've had more than enough ppl try and tell me that I could nurse, that I can do without the meds, that I'm being selfish and denying my baby what's best, that obviously he's not as important to me as my older kids are, otherwise I'd suck it up and nurse.

Its really hurtful.

:svengo:

Pain puts me at risk for depression as it is.

Yeah, I guess it would. :grouphug:

When the public health nurse comes for her visit and gives you the questionnaire about being depressed, you should probably have her interpret your results more cautiously than usual. My friend was at the high end of normal at her two day visit, but within a month was hospitalized, on 2 different antidepressants and still crying for hours per day. Not that I think that's typical, but had there been a follow up sooner, or her DH was more on the ball with the symptoms of PPD, or if she'd ever answered my calls, etc. things would have gone better for her and her baby.

Despite my friend's horror story, PPD is treatable and in most cases caught quite early. It's just something that should be discussed with your Dr. Or to have Wolf obsess over. I mean, once he stops asking you dozens of times a day if you're in labour, what will he do with his time?

luckily my milk didn't fully come in so I didn't have to deal with it---I couldn't bf due to health issues.....I only got a few ozs at a time and never enough to amount to anything....I didn't have any problems with discomfort or anything that I remember-but then I had other health issues going on too

I *just* went through this since I delivered a baby this week! :D

When my milk comes in my breasts get very firm, lumpy, warm to the touch and, yes, they are painful. They are tingly and uncomfortable, especially on the sides near the underarm area. It helps to wear a supportive bra (something stretchy without underwires) during the first 24 hours of engorgement. Cold compresses feel good, too. Sleeping in a semi-reclined position is more comfortable than lying flat on my back or on my side.

The shot isn't done in the US any longer, at least not that I'm aware of.

My engorgement is only really uncomfortable for the first 24 hours and then it starts to ease up considerably.

Its really hurtful.

Y'know, it looks like the person who asked (in this thread) was trying to be *helpful* and doesn't know every detail of your situationĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I don't think that she intended to hurt you - rather, to ask if you were interested in further information regarding breastfeeding and medications.

It DOES happen that woman think they can't due to [whatever meds] and then, later, learn that the information was incorrectĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ it happened to me. I'm a supporter of whatever way a mom wishes to feed her children, and I'm content with the way our newbie is being fed (and as it happens, he needed a lactose-free formula) but it did come about that I was given *incorrect* information regarding the antibiotics that I was taking for several post-delivery infections. I was told that I couldn't nurse - and that was wrong. I could have. By the time the infections were clear (several rounds of different antibiotics) it was too late.

I think the previous poster was simply offering information with that in mind. ;)

Its really hurtful.

I know that it is hurtful to hear those words. People *think* that they are being helpful but they aren't. I had to listen to it today from my neighbor; she's a CNM. I know she meant well but it still hurt. I almost started crying.

Don't feel badly. In a few weeks you are going to be holding your sweet, healthy little on in your arms. Enjoy all of those first moments with your baby, knowing that you are nourishing (him?) in the very best way that you can. Plenty of babies are happy, healthy, well-bonded to their mothers, and formula fed. :grouphug:

Y'know, it looks like the person who asked (in this thread) was trying to be *helpful* and doesn't know every detail of your situationĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ I don't think that she intended to hurt you - rather, to ask if you were interested in further information regarding breastfeeding and medications.

It DOES happen that woman think they can't due to [whatever meds] and then, later, learn that the information was incorrectĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ it happened to me. I'm a supporter of whatever way a mom wishes to feed her children, and I'm content with the way our newbie is being fed (and as it happens, he needed a lactose-free formula) but it did come about that I was given *incorrect* information regarding the antibiotics that I was taking for several post-delivery infections. I was told that I couldn't nurse - and that was wrong. I could have. By the time the infections were clear (several rounds of different antibiotics) it was too late.

I think the previous poster was simply offering information with that in mind. ;)

I wasn't responding to that poster, but to Mrs. Mungo specifically. It honestly surprised me to have her speak up for me. I have had very nasty comments about not nursing this time, so someone that understands without hesitation almost had me in tears. Wasn't a negative shot at the pp at all.

I know that it is hurtful to hear those words. People *think* that they are being helpful but they aren't. I had to listen to it today from my neighbor; she's a CNM. I know she meant well but it still hurt. I almost started crying.

Don't feel badly. In a few weeks you are going to be holding your sweet, healthy little on in your arms. Enjoy all of those first moments with your baby, knowing that you are nourishing (him?) in the very best way that you can. Plenty of babies are happy, healthy, well-bonded to their mothers, and formula fed. :grouphug:

Thanks PiP. :grouphug: to you too.

I just wanted to chime in on the "really tight bra" type comments.

Please do not do this. The last thing a post-partum mother needs is for bound breasts to tip over into a bout of mastitis. Bound breasts, whether truly bound or simply very tightly compressed, can be a complicating factor that leads to mastitis.

Wearing a comfortably supportive, non underwire bra seems to help women the most in terms of *what* to wear. From personal experience, I would also be certain that I did not sleep on my stomach, thus compressing the breasts. I ended with full-blown mastitis twice that way before I figured out the connection.

The other herbs mentioned, the cold compresses, the "real-deal" decongestant and the cabbage: all those help. In the OP's position, I'd do them all.

A funny about cabage: some years ago, we heard that one of the LLL "big names" had a grown son involved in a motorcycle accident. The young man had horrific surgical repairs of one of his legs, pins and screws and all that. The swelling in the leg was just outrageous, so the mom convinced the medical staff to allow them to do cabbage compresses. It helped. : )

And because I'm in the Dall*s area, about 12 years ago, we heard that one prominent name on Dall*s C8wb88ys football team had started using cabbage on his knees. I have no idea how long that lasted, but it's not just for women's anatomy. : )

Generally speaking what cabbage does is reduce edema - swelling. You could also use it on a swollen knee.

Wow, why didn't I ever think of that. I have massive swelling in an injured ankle because I've suddenly become allergic to all NSAIDS. I'm putting cabbage on the list. Now ds can comment about the salad in my splint!