Menu

Family lost in corn maze calls 911?

I have to wonder if they were so afraid why they didn't just walk through the corn. It was corn!

I thought the same thing but then saw how it was dark and she had a three week old baby. Any time I have ever had a three week old baby, I have never been quite myself after dark. Add a corn maze to sleep deprivation and I just might call 911 myself. :tongue_smilie:

I saw Matt Lauer say that he's just walked through the corn before. I would be afraid to break it. He can afford to pay for it. :D Seriously though, there's a good reason for a smart phone. She should have Googled the maze and called the owner.

ETA: Note to self... Purchase flares for corn maze outing.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

LOL I heard about that last night. It's not too far from us actually..less than an hour.

They played the woman's call on the air on the radio. She sounded pretty upset. She said it was very dark and thought the farm had closed. The dispatcher tells her to calm down.."isn't your husband there with you?"

I'd probably be freaked too. Not sure I'd call 911. Though, I don't do corn mazes close to dark anyway because I'm a wimp! LOL

I thought the same thing but then saw how it was dark and she had a three week old baby. Any time I have ever had a three week old baby, I have never been quite myself after dark. Add a corn maze to sleep deprivation and I just might call 911 myself. :tongue_smilie:

anytime I've ever had a 3 week baby, I have never been quite myself at any time!:lol::lol:

It's not far from me, either - I *CRACKED UP* when I heard it on the news!

I do kinda feel a bit bad for her, but - her husband was with her! And they were within earshot of the end of the maze!

Of course, this is coming from the mama who *FREAKED* in the maze of mirrors at the amusement park and came LEAPING out the entrance, insisting to the poor gate-keeper teenager that if he tried to make me go back in to find the exit, he would have a medical emergency on his hands. Ha!

That was hysterical! I would have called 411, gotten the number of the farmer, then phoned him to help get me out. 911 would never have even crossed my mind. Mainly because I like to keep my humiliations under wraps as much as possible. Matt Lauer doesn't need to know about any of my most embarrassing moments!! :lol:

That's funny. I feel for her. We did a corn maze last year with the daycare kids. Us leaders brought whistles to call out lost kids and each other lol 3 of us (2 staff and 1 kid) got cuts from the corn stalks though. Those things can be sharp edged, I never knew it.(they were really dry and hard stalks, not supple green stalks).

Gosh, that is funny...but I sympathize! The first time I ever did a corn maze was just last year and I was alone with my 3 and my niece. We managed to get out without calling in reinforcements but I can't say that I never felt panicked. We are signed up to do a corn maze with our hs group and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous...

I panic within 30 seconds of entering a corn maze. I like to think I would have had the sense to yell for help in her situation, but I fully intend to never enter a corn maze again for the rest of my life unless I'm with a responsible adult, so I guess I'll never know. :P

I have to wonder if they were so afraid why they didn't just walk through the corn. It was corn!

I thought the same thing. It's corn not brick walls. Corn CAN be walked through. I've done it before! If they had just picked a direction and started walking, they would have eventually found their way out.

Note to self- if going through a 7 acre corn maze, bring rations and flashlight :lol:.

*snort*

I KNOW my dh would have a flashlight. And a knife to cut through, lol.

Last week, I took my kids on a local trail hike. I was mindful that last year a mom had been lost out there after dark with her kids and had to call 911. I paid very close attention to the time, because I did not want us to end up in the news. I had half the day but I gave myself a few hours' cushion time just to be sure. LOL.

I thought the same thing. It's corn not brick walls. Corn CAN be walked through. I've done it before! If they had just picked a direction and started walking, they would have eventually found their way out.

*snort*

According to the Myth Busters I saw last night, they are actually more likely to keep walking in circles than to actually walk a straight line out.

The corn maze we went to last weekend had flags and the guy in the lift over top of the maze. In addition, it wasn't a traditional maze. Getting out was easy (there were exits everywhere!) Finding the 10 checkpoints inside was the challenge.:tongue_smilie:

In their defense, it was dark and the maze had shut down by the time they called. I think it would be very challenging to walk through the corn and find my way out even in daylight, in the dark with a newborn incredibly difficult. Although what possessed them to take a newborn through a corn maze?

You can see what it looked like and hear the call in this video clip http://video.foxnews.com/v/1213799260001/?test=faces

Mary

I doubt that's the silliest call 911 has ever answered. My brother works for our emergency services and his favourite stupid call recently was a woman who rang because a bus driver was rude to her. :lol:

Rosie

We heard a good one on Howie Carr... A lady got mad at a McDonald's worker over her french fries and called 911! I think they arrested the lady for making a frivolous call. LOL

This is why you call 911 if you are lost in a corn maze:

:D:D

We once did a kid corn maze with a homeschooling group. One of the kids asked her mom what we would do if we all got lost and the mom replied that she would pray to Jesus.

This kind of amused me because I'm almost 5'10. All I had to do was look up and head to the parking lot. So the secular parents I was with stayed close to me, just in case. :001_smile:

We took our kids to a much smaller, mid-morning corn maze last weekend. Of course, the kids ran in opposite directions so we split up and said we'd meet at the exit. DS3 was my navigator, who stared at the ground and didn't mind being lost. I was starting to see familiar corn over and over and getting a little claustrophobic, so I tried to call DH to see where he was. No signal.

After running around yelling "Marco?!" (and not hearing "Polo!") we finally found them and the exit. No way I'd take my kids in there at night, and this was only about an acre!

The corn maze we used to go to in college had several wooden platform "lookout points" you could climb up on if lost to help you figure out your location.

According to the Myth Busters I saw last night, they are actually more likely to keep walking in circles than to actually walk a straight line out.

The corn maze we went to last weekend had flags and the guy in the lift over top of the maze. In addition, it wasn't a traditional maze. Getting out was easy (there were exits everywhere!) Finding the 10 checkpoints inside was the challenge.:tongue_smilie:

That sounds like my kind of maze! That, I could do.

:D:D

We once did a kid corn maze with a homeschooling group. One of the kids asked her mom what we would do if we all got lost and the mom replied that she would pray to Jesus.

This kind of amused me because I'm almost 5'10. All I had to do was look up and head to the parking lot. So the secular parents I was with stayed close to me, just in case. :001_smile:

:lol:

I doubt that's the silliest call 911 has ever answered. My brother works for our emergency services and his favourite stupid call recently was a woman who rang because a bus driver was rude to her. :lol:

Rosie

Yeah, it's certainly better than calling 911 because your unhappy with how you were treated at a fast food restaurant, and other reasons I've seen people call.

I have panic disorder, and being "lost" in a corn maze is a situation that would completely freak me out. I can totally see myself panicking and calling 911 in that woman's situation.

That said, I probably wouldn't go into a large corn maze at all, much less at night with a newborn, for that very reason.

Rosie

My very first call as a dispatcher, a guy needed an officer to help retrieve his truck keys, because the girlfriend stole them and put them in her bra. I'd rather fetch someone out of a corn field.:glare:

LOL I heard about that last night. It's not too far from us actually..less than an hour.

They played the woman's call on the air on the radio. She sounded pretty upset. She said it was very dark and thought the farm had closed. The dispatcher tells her to calm down.."isn't your husband there with you?"

I'd probably be freaked too. Not sure I'd call 911. Though, I don't do corn mazes close to dark anyway because I'm a wimp! LOL

Did anyone notice the dispatcher asked her if her husband was with her? And when she said yes, dispatcher asked her to put him on the phone?

I'd have given the dispatcher an earful.

I didn't listen to the tape, so I can't say how hysterical the woman was, but if she wasn't completely out of her mind she needs to write a letter of complaint.

Yeah, but couldn't you just walk down the corn row?

In the dark? With a newborn? Maybe. The corn is planted so close together and not in just one row. The maze we went through had very thick corn between the rows (probably to keep people from cutting through the corn.)

At first I thought it was hysterical, but then hearing the rest of the story I might have called 911, too. I tend to have a good sense of direction and could have handled the maze last weekend alone, but with the kids I couldn't keep my mind straight enough to think about where we were going and where we had been! We only found two out of ten checkpoints.:tongue_smilie:

And seven acres? That is 7 FOOTBALL FIELDS! They didn't know they were 25 feet from the exit until later, but they probably were walking for hours yb that point.

*snort*

Yes, but with my luck I would pick the direction that leads across the rest of the 5 acres of corn. I would NEVER pick the one that crosses 2 paths and then leads to the free world. NEVER! It is in my DNA to find the HARDEST and LONGEST way to do something. :001_huh:

As far as the dispatcher asking to speak to the lady's husband, well, I see that several of us have admitted on the board that we were not of sound mind when we had a tiny baby. Maybe the dispatcher had experience with new mama hormones (either self friend, or relative; I have not listened to the call so I don't even kknow if the dispatcher was M/F). On the flip side though, for all the disp knows, the lady may be calling because DH ASKED her to call. He may be having a panic attack himself and new mom is dealing with that too!

Edited by cin

I'd have given the dispatcher an earful.

I didn't listen to the tape, so I can't say how hysterical the woman was, but if she wasn't completely out of her mind she needs to write a letter of complaint.

I didn't hear it either, but it's possible the dispatcher wanted to talk to someone not freaking out and holding a baby at the same time. It's frustrating to talk to someone who is flipping out when you can hear a perfectly rational calm human being in the background. Perhaps she heard a calm man's voice and thought it would be easier to get information out of him.

You know, after looking at the FOX News Link, I'm less inclined to find this amusing; they sent in a K-9 Unit to find them. SO that's not the little corn mazes we have around here! :willy_nilly:

That is scary.

A 7-acre corn maze with no real knowledge of whether everyone was out before they closed? So complicated that even the people who owned it couldn't just go in and find them? THAT is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

In the dark? With a newborn? Maybe. The corn is planted so close together and not in just one row. The maze we went through had very thick corn between the rows (probably to keep people from cutting through the corn.)

At first I thought it was hysterical, but then hearing the rest of the story I might have called 911, too. I tend to have a good sense of direction and could have handled the maze last weekend alone, but with the kids I couldn't keep my mind straight enough to think about where we were going and where we had been! We only found two out of ten checkpoints.:tongue_smilie:

And seven acres? That is 7 FOOTBALL FIELDS! They didn't know they were 25 feet from the exit until later, but they probably were walking for hours yb that point.

Our corn maze just had regular corn rows so that is what I pictured. I'm thinking they promised their older child a trip to the corn maze and got there late because of the baby. The didn't want to disappoint the daughter and decided to go through, but it took a long time. Purely speculation on my part, but I could see that scenario playing out. It gets dark, the baby is hungry, the daughter is tired. I can see the stress. But we live on 5 acres. My sister lived on 12 for awhile. Even on 12 acres, an adult outside would be able to hear a child scream from most parts of the property - I could hear the kids anywhere on our property. I think I would have tried yelling my head off before calling 911.

Our corn maze just had regular corn rows so that is what I pictured. I'm thinking they promised their older child a trip to the corn maze and got there late because of the baby. The didn't want to disappoint the daughter and decided to go through, but it took a long time. Purely speculation on my part, but I could see that scenario playing out. It gets dark, the baby is hungry, the daughter is tired. I can see the stress. But we live on 5 acres. My sister lived on 12 for awhile. Even on 12 acres, an adult outside would be able to hear a child scream from most parts of the property - I could hear the kids anywhere on our property. I think I would have tried yelling my head off before calling 911.

They did yell their heads off from what I understand. The problem was that the employees of the corn maze had closed up and gone home! So, if someone was yelling, there was no one to hear them.:glare:

They did yell their heads off from what I understand. The problem was that the employees of the corn maze had closed up and gone home! So, if someone was yelling, there was no one to hear them.:glare:

I thought I had edited, but I must have clicked the wrong button. I saw that it was closed later. You'd think they'd keep track of how many went in and out.

ETA: Note to self... Purchase flares for corn maze outing.

Second note to self: Call 911 to send someone to put out the fire I just started in the dry corn field by shooting off flares. Or, skip the flares and just call 911. :lol:

My very first thought. There evil children out there!

Now that's just not right! How could you post and remind me of something like knowing I'm going to be in a corn maze within the next couple of weeks! I'm going to have to watch something like Mary Poppins right before the maze just to hope to keep that out. :). LOLOL!