Menu

I hate fashion!

I'm convinced that the fashion industry is to blame for the poor self-image of so many women. At least in previous generations, the clothing trends were flattering even to less-than-perfect women!

I mean, no pantyhose, really? Where does that leave a gal whose legs are pasty-white without perfect skin or great muscle tone?

And why is there so little fabric in sleeves? I tried on long-sleeved tops, and they looked baggy everywhere except the sleeves, where my arms looked like sausages.

I know I need to lose weight, but I'm still what I would call average- 5'5" and size 12-14 depending on the brand. But I can't find clothes that make me happy to spend money on them. It's pathetic.

I mean, no pantyhose, really? Where does that leave a gal whose legs are pasty-white without perfect skin or great muscle tone?

Pants, hon. Honestly, I have not worn a dress or skirt since my dd's wedding eight years ago and I don't see it happening again until another wedding roles around. :001_smile:

Yeah my SIL got married today and I wore pants to that too. Mostly because I'm nursing so a long dress was out since I needed nursing access but still.

I have to agree big time on clothing that only flatters a certain body type. When I went shopping last week for the wedding I was appalled at all the UGLY clothes!! It was either super frilly or really thin, short, etc. I'm not completely happy with what I ended up with but with 4 kids I'm just proud that I showed up looking decent.

I have white skin and choose to go ahead and wear skirts anyway. I don't care if people think that I should get skin cancer. I don't want to. I am VERY prone to it and don't care if people are "blinded by my white white skin". That is their problem and they don't have to look at my legs if they don't want to.

I don't care anymore. :D

I was having a hard time too with fashion. My friends turned me onto Dressing Your Truth. It is awesome. It has 4 types and she lays out the colors and styles for your type to look awesome, along with hair and makeup. I love it and have gotten more compliments. They do have a referral program kinda like AAS does but I don't know if I can post my link so I will just let you google it.

:grouphug: And when did hose go out? And who really cares...I would wear hose if it makes you feel comfortable.

self tanning creams. I tried one the first time this year and it worked great--for me that's just a slight tint above my normal pale.

Honestly, I'm glad panty hose are out. They are so uncomfortable. I'm sure a man invented them. I mean we were encasing our legs in what is essentially unbreathable plastic.

If you feel better with hose then wear them. Who cares what people think. If anyone is thinking that hard about your pantyhose covered legs they need to get a life.

:iagree:

I guess it's because I'm getting older, but I don't have any problem with someone seeing my pasty white legs. I've figured out that most people are too busy thinking about themselves to notice my stuff.

As I have gotten older, my tastes have changed. I can't believe some of the things I did just to look "okay". I have also learned that "classic" and "quality" are expensive. I got tired of buying clothes that went out of style or were poorly made and did not last.

Three years ago, I started buying books from a local thrift store. What I overlooked was the clothing. Just recently, I checked out the clothes and found some really good pieces. I would not have been able to purchase these new. The prices were cheap enough that if, after I purchased them, I did not feel comfortable, I could just return them.

Claire in NM

I'm convinced that the fashion industry is to blame for the poor self-image of so many women. At least in previous generations, the clothing trends were flattering even to less-than-perfect women!

And why is there so little fabric in sleeves? I tried on long-sleeved tops, and they looked baggy everywhere except the sleeves, where my arms looked like sausages.

I know I need to lose weight, but I'm still what I would call average- 5'5" and size 12-14 depending on the brand. But I can't find clothes that make me happy to spend money on them. It's pathetic.

:iagree: I'm about the same size/height as you and I also wondered about the "sausage arms". I'm glad it's not just me! I used to love shopping, now I hate it!

Guest IdahoMtnMom

I don't wear skirts. I think I own 4 of them. And maybe 6 dresses. I have really great legs, too... no joke... they are toned and tan and I am fairly skinny (size 4)... but I HATE shirts/dresses. Period. So I wear what I am comfortable in... in the winter that is jeans (occassionally pants), and sweaters (never turtlenecks or high necks) and in the summer it is capri's, very rarely shorts, tanks, and t's. I only wear a few brands, too.... Gap, Old Navy, Free Love, Prana, DKNY Jeans, Juicy, Ann Taylor, NILS, Bogner, French Dressing, and Royal Robbin. I will but those clothes new, at garage sales, or at thrift stores.... but I rarely deviate brand. I know what I look good in and I stick with it. I am weird, I know...

Seriously, though.... I get darling stuff at thrift stores and garage sale... for sometimes 1/50th of the cost of new... and they are in great condition!!! Two weeks ago, I got a Gap 100% wool jacket with the TAGS STILL ON IT ($198) for $7 at a garage sale!!!

Honestly, I'm glad panty hose are out. They are so uncomfortable. I'm sure a man invented them. I mean we were encasing our legs in what is essentially unbreathable plastic.

:iagree: I HATE panty hose! In order to look good we have to wear these super fragile, overly expensive, horribly uncomfortable things on our legs? Yuck. :p And I'm one of the pale ones who thinks tanning is rather unattractive. But tanning is very popular in my area and I see people with some extreme tans. So I guess I find it a bit of a turn off. Mild tans look fine.

A few thoughts...

1. You can still wear covering on your legs, just not traditional pantyhose. Try textured stockings (similar to fishnets but not in diamond shapes), leg spray, sunless tanning lotion for the legs (Jergens Natural Glow gets good reviews).

2. Size 12-14 is a tricky place to be with clothing - it is honestly easier to find flattering clothing at size 16 than at size 14 b/c once you're at size 16 you can go to plus size clothing which is cut for a fuller figure. Whereas size 12 is cut with the traditional manequin and just made wider/longer without accommodating the different plus-sized shape. Have you tried a place like Lane Bryant? Their stuff is really cute!

3. SHAPEWEAR. Many clothes today are cut and sewn with the assumption that women will use shapewear underneath to smooth out the rough areas. Lines like Spanx and Flexees (Maidenform) are great for smoothing out problem areas and making everything fit better.

4. Dress for your body type - if you have wider arms, then do short sleeves + sweaters instead of long sleeved shirts. If you have a pear shaped body with heavier calves, then know how to get the most flattering skirt cut (right at the knee - don't go below the knee or at the ankles, it equals instant frump and widens the appearnace of your legs).

5. Two books that are really helpful in terms of what fits you best and how to look put together as you age (these are both pick-and-choose ideas books - you don't have to do everything in them or even agree with everything in them):

- How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better by Charla Krupp

- The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size by Bradley Bayou

I mean, no pantyhose, really? Where does that leave a gal whose legs are pasty-white without perfect skin or great muscle tone? ... I know I need to lose weight, but I'm still what I would call average- 5'5" and size 12-14 depending on the brand. But I can't find clothes that make me happy to spend money on them. It's pathetic.

1. I consider my pasty-white skin beautiful and have no qualms about exposing it. In fact, I take measures to keep my skin white by wearing sun-shielding hats outdoors, avoiding swimming during most intense times for UV rays, and wearing sun block. My thighs are flabby and jiggle after rest of body is not in motion. I do not hide them.

2. Go for the classically tailored clothing that never goes out of style. Lands End, LL Bean, and others always have such items in stock. They may cost more upfront, but in the long run it is worth it because of the versatility, durability, and non-trendiness.

I took my 5yo DD shopping last week. 5yo. 47 inches tall. 45 lbs. She tried on a shirt and CRIED because the sleeves were too tight (even though the rest of it was WAY too big). Seriously, how skinny does one have to be for these shirts to be a good thing?

I don't care that many women don't wear pantyhose. I think a woman looks unfinished if she's wearing a nice dress, nice shoes, and bare legs. Blech. You and I might be the only two women left in the world who wear them. Let's embrace the sisterhood!!!

My biggest complaint about "fashion" is that it's nigh to impossible to find pants that sit at my waist, not halfway down my thighs, for goodness' sake.

I just started using Missus Smarty Pants and I love it!! She will show you how to dress for your body type and even give you specific ideas from different department stores. For example, two weeks ago all the samples for the week were from JCPenneys with links and then how to put it all together. You can buy a season at a time (3 months) which is only $9.99! I think she is very encouraging and embraces all body types. I have been frumpy for a long time and it has been so fun to shop again!

I love looking at people so put together. I myself can't manage this on a regular basis. For events, I get some help from a sister. But otherwise, I don't have the sense or the money to buy some of the cool stuff I see on others. So... skorts in summer, skirts with dark tights in winter, with boots or my dark clogs (makes my sister cringe lol). A couple of scarves etc. I used to wear capris fequently, but again, sister pointed out that capris are really a fashion don't for many of us (meaning she hated how they looked on me lol). However Jackie O , Laura Petrie, and Audrey Hepburn all get a capri pass.

I've been texting with *that* sister just now, and she has informed me that wearing hose is fne, as long they are not 'nude'.

If that Kate Middleton woman brings back all nude hose/all the time, I will rebel. ;) Not that I am fashion- forward, so it will hardly matter. The thought of going back to hot, sweaty & confining plastic on my legs...no way. Won't do it. Will have to go back to capris if I decide I can't do bare. I will be a 70 year old hippie in peasant skirts.

Edited by LibraryLover

Had the same issue with shopping for dresses a few years back b/c I just didn't care for the current styles at local stores. I went to Ross where they offered every style b/c they bring in products all different dept stores, ie left-overs. I don't really care if it is from last year or 3 years ago. If it looks good on me now, I will wear it.

Me, too. I've honestly stopped caring, for the most part, at least when it comes to "fashion". Fashion is trendy and temporary. Style is something completely different and timeless. Figure out what you're comfortable in and where it.

I know it's frustrating and difficult to shop for new clothes. Sometimes it's even frustrating and difficult to shop for second hand clothes. When you have success, celebrate it! When you don't, shrug your shoulders, say,"It wasn't meant to be today" and go do something you know will be successful, like having lunch or coffee with some girlfriends or a virtual one with the Hive! :D

Maybe you are just shopping in the wrong stores. What about Coldwater Creek, LL Bean, Land's End? Their clothing seems to be cut more generously and the fabrics thicker than the stuff you will find at Target.

If you like pantyhose then wear them. I hate them, personally.

Good ideas here, although I find Coldwater Creek to be WAY overpriced.

I agree on the pantyhose. Then again, I live in the desert so I refuse to wear 'em! ;)

Good ideas here, although I find Coldwater Creek to be WAY overpriced.

They do have good sales though.

Lately however, I have found that Coldwater Creek (for the most part) doesn't fit very well.

Someone mentioned Charla Krupp's book. I really love her other book also - How to Never Look Fat Again. Fabulous and very specific tips.

how+to+never+look+fat+again.jpg

I've heard so many great things about this book.

Watching shows like Tim Gunn's Guide to Style and What Not to Wear are very helpful. Dd and I love to watch those together.

I seldom buy skirts. I get frustrated with not being able to find matching tops.

Shopping can be a real pain. :glare:

I was having a hard time too with fashion. My friends turned me onto Dressing Your Truth. It is awesome.

Thanks for recommending this. Looks good. Bookmarked it to look at later. :)

Two books that are really helpful in terms of what fits you best and how to look put together as you age (these are both pick-and-choose ideas books - you don't have to do everything in them or even agree with everything in them):

- How Not to Look Old: Fast and Effortless Ways to Look 10 Years Younger, 10 Pounds Lighter, 10 Times Better by Charla Krupp

- The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size by Bradley Bayou

Have the first one. Love it.

Added the 2nd one to my wish list. :D

I just started using Missus Smarty Pants and I love it!! She will show you how to dress for your body type and even give you specific ideas from different department stores. For example, two weeks ago all the samples for the week were from JCPenneys with links and then how to put it all together. You can buy a season at a time (3 months) which is only $9.99! I think she is very encouraging and embraces all body types. I have been frumpy for a long time and it has been so fun to shop again!

I've heard really good things about this. I haven't yet joined and have been a bit reluctant to, since we don't live in the U.S. I might buy one season right before our next visit to the U.S. I love any help I can get when it comes to shopping. I have no problem shopping for clothes in the U.K. (which only happens every several years), but in the U.S. - I have a very hard time shopping. I get overwhelmed.

I have white skin and choose to go ahead and wear skirts anyway. I don't care if people think that I should get skin cancer. I don't want to. I am VERY prone to it and don't care if people are "blinded by my white white skin". That is their problem and they don't have to look at my legs if they don't want to.

:iagree:

I've been texting with *that* sister just now, and she has informed me that wearing hose is fne, as long they are not 'nude'.

If that Kate Middleton woman brings back all nude hose/all the time, I will rebel. ;) Not that I am fashion- forward, so it will hardly matter. The thought of going back to hot, sweaty & confining plastic on my legs...no way. Won't do it. Will have to go back to capris if I decide I can't do bare. I will be a 70 year old hippie in peasant skirts.

What's wrong with "nude" panythose???? :confused:

A short note-

I was looking in a Glamour magazine (I was stuck in a waiting room for an hour) and the hot Fall fashion was BLACK tights - with just about any color skirt or dress. The picture showed actually tights, but I'm sure black hose counts. i also noticed many of the models wearing what seemed to be nude hose - although they just may have airbrushed the pictures....

ETA - I really couldn't care less, though. As long as you don't subscribe to any fashion extremes and stick with pretty normal clothes, anything works.

Hey, my skin is white. I'm not going to apologize. I've had a few bouts of skin cancer even though I have never tanned or spent time lying in the sun. So my skin is going to stay white. If someone has a problem with white skin, so be it. I'm not going to try to change my skin because it isn't fashionable.

I hate pantyhose too. They are uncomfortable and always get a run after one or two wearings. I wear skirts a lot. If the sight of me in the grocery store with my skirt and my white legs is offensive to some I can't say I really care. In fact, I find the prejudice against displaying white skin to be a sort of fashion racism. I can imagine the reaction I would get if I told a woman with darker skin that she needed to bleach her legs or wear hose to cover up their color.

The problem is, there isn't less fabric in the sleeve itself. They've moved it all to the ends and made the sleeves a foot longer!

When I was about 14 I started fitting in stuff from the Juniors' department, and my mom took me shopping. Every single long-sleeved thing I tried on had at least 6 or 7 inches of fabric hanging off my hands. :confused:

Sausage at the top, just like you say, but WAY too long. It looks ridiculous. My mom said, "Huh, juniors are cut weird!" But next time she went shopping, everything was like that in the women's department too. And when she took my sister to buy school clothes, the children's department suddenly had monkey sleeves too!

I shouldn't have to chop that much off the ends of my sleeves when the top looks like sausage anyway.

I don't care that many women don't wear pantyhose. I think a woman looks unfinished if she's wearing a nice dress, nice shoes, and bare legs. Blech. You and I might be the only two women left in the world who wear them. Let's embrace the sisterhood!!!

My biggest complaint about "fashion" is that it's nigh to impossible to find pants that sit at my waist, not halfway down my thighs, for goodness' sake.

We can be the only 3 who wear pantyhose. I also think you look unfinished if you are not wearing hose. And as I stated in the other pantyhose thread, I think clothes drape nicer with the right foundation garment underneath.

I wear hosiery on the rare occasion I wear a dress because I don't like looking at my spider veins or being blinded by my marshmallow colored legs.

I don't understand the sleeve thing, either. I was just shopping for a new winter coat and I could barely get the sleeves over my arms. I wasn't even wearing a bulky sweater.

Jeans are certainly another challenge. I don't like my butt hanging out when I sit down let alone when I am standing.

That stuff actually works.

Being pale is not bad, btw. Lots of people don't tan. I don't get how 'white' legs are 'bad'.

I used this last summer as my legs are not only white, but they look like chicken skin. YUCK! If you decide to try the Jergen's Natural Glow, know that it really stinks. When I first put it on, I thought I'd be able to handle the smell. But, once I got into bed I couldn't stand it. And then I kept thinking that if it smells this bad, how bad is it health-wise on my skin. I really dislike the look of my overly pale legs, but I need to find something other than this stuff to help me.

I used this last summer as my legs are not only white, but they look like chicken skin. YUCK! If you decide to try the Jergen's Natural Glow, know that it really stinks. When I first put it on, I thought I'd be able to handle the smell. But, once I got into bed I couldn't stand it. And then I kept thinking that if it smells this bad, how bad is it health-wise on my skin. I really dislike the look of my overly pale legs, but I need to find something other than this stuff to help me.

I found that the Jergen's Natural Glow mousse was much better than the lotion. The smell disappeared within minutes and it dried super fast - I usually cannot deal with smelly stuff and this wasn't so bad.

Edited by Sevilla