Menu

Let's talk store bought bread

There's just no way I'm making my own. It ain't gonna happen, so let's move on.

What's your favorite store bought bread that:

-has no high fructose corn syrup

-is not found at a specialty store, but at walmart or a regular grocery store

-is cheap (well, for that kind of bread, anyway)

:bigear:

I love fresh-baked bread, but I can't tolerate gluten, and we have sandwiches maybe once a week here. It's not worth the effort to me to bake my own bread anymore either.

If you have a Costco membership, their all-natural whole grain bread is $4 for 2 loaves. Otherwise, we buy Stop & Shop's Nature's Promise all-natural whole grain bread (it might be organic, but I don't think it is) on sale for $2.49 usually (I buy a few loaves and freeze--we don't use that much bread). And it seems that lately, the Vermont Baking Company breads are on sale around here a lot, usually for $2.49, so I buy those when I can too.

ETA: I just saw your other post. If you do eat a lot of bread, maybe consider investing in a bread machine. I know you didn't want to make your own, but I LOVED my bread machine (before I knew wheat was a problem for me, unfortunately). It made baking bread very easy, and the kids never had any complaints about slice size/density. It really was "dump and go."

Otherwise, I suggest just visiting your local stores and getting to know their sales. Bread freezes very nicely, so you can stock up when you spot a good deal.

Edited by melissel

My Walmart has a brand called Great Grains Bakery. We have a loaf right now because I'm behind on my wheat grinding (my grinder is a monster to deal with and I have to do a bunch at one time and then freeze it because it's so obnoxious. See? I told you we weren't perfect here;)) It's about $1.50 and has no artificial flavors or colors, no HFCS. We get the multi-grain with flax seeds.

We buy the Arnold Sandwich Thins. Whole wheat, no high fructose corn syrup, 100 calories. We all like it. I even make toast out of it. It's a bit thin, but it's better than buying a loaf that we won't use all of.

I bought those, but then realized they have sucralose, which we don't eat. There is one brand of the "thins" that doesn't have it, but I can never remember which one.

I buy Nature's Own Honey Wheat. I don't know if it's considered cheap. It costs anywhere from $1.87-$2.28.

This is what we buy as well. Last time I checked it didn't have any HFCS. Nature's Own also has whole wheat bread, but I prefer the honey wheat. :)

Arnold's whole wheat or Arnold's extra fiber are both under $2 at our Walmart. Neither has HFCS. Whole wheat has 3 g. fiber per slice. (Don't have any extra fiber here to check). Both are soft, moist breads. (A lot of the other Arnold bread is drier in texture and more expensive.) I used to buy Nature's Own Whole Wheat, but it is 30 cents more expensive now.

Arnold's whole wheat or Arnold's extra fiber are both under $2 at our Walmart. Neither has HFCS. Whole wheat has 3 g. fiber per slice. (Don't have any extra fiber here to check). Both are soft, moist breads. (A lot of the other Arnold bread is drier in texture and more expensive.) I used to buy Nature's Own Whole Wheat, but it is 30 cents more expensive now.

I also buy the Arnold's Extra Fiber Whole Wheat Soft Texture or the Nature's Own Double Fiber Whole Wheat. These are my favorite breads. I rarely make bread, except on special occasions, or when I make a particular recipe that just calls for homemade bread, such as oregano bread to go with my homemade spaghetti.

I agree with you that with six kids you shouldn't have to worry about baking bread, but I can't help but hear that lonely bread machine calling out to your oldest child.

:iagree: I make bread in the bread machine. Even when I add in grinding my own wheat berries into flour, it takes all of 3 minutes to get it started. If you have a kid over 10, once a week you could measure out all the ingredients except water and put them into baggies. A ten year old can measure water, dump in the dry ingredients, and hit start.

That said, I'm not against store-bought bread either if that's what you really want to do!

We usually get the double pack of Oroweat 100% Whole Wheat from costco, no HFCS. They are nice bigger than usual loaves so they last a little longer than the smaller ones you get at the regular grocery store. If I am not able to make it to costco, Franz bread has some really good healthy breads that you can get on sale for about $2.50.

Do you have a bread outlet close by? The next town over from us is both a Franz and an Oroweat outlet that if you get there early in the day, you can get a loaf for as little as $.99, and have punch cards for how much you spend. That could be a great option as well.

Nature's Pride (soft) Whole Wheat or Honey Wheat

Nature's Pride Oven Classics Oatmeal or Honey Wheat w/Fiber

Arnold Italian Wheat, Dutch Country Butter Split Top (when I want white bread toast or grilled cheese!), and Country Wheat

I get all of these on a regular basis. I've stopped skimping on bread, although I do try to stock up when it's (rarely) on sale. lol

I prefer Rudi's Honey Oat bread but it is pricey considering how many mouths we have to feed around here. It is $2.99/loaf at the commissary and we use one piece per sandwich (the loaves are those larger ones with rectangular slices rather than square, sandwich-sized slices).

Anway. If I am at Walmart or some such store I get Nature's Own Whole Grain or Whole Wheat or Nature's Pride Whole Wheat.

...once a week you could measure out all the ingredients except water and put them into baggies. A ten year old can measure water, dump in the dry ingredients, and hit start.

That is what I've done in the past. Setup an assembly line with sugar, salt, flour, etc. I put each mix into large empty 4-cup yogurt containers. I then made up a little laminated-with-tape index card with how to use the mix on it, which I keep with the machine. Then it's just add mix, water, and yeast to the pan and push some buttons. It works best for me when I do it the night before, so we all wake up to fresh bread.

My dh and kids eat Nature's Own or Arnold's Honey Wheat; it's got no HFCS and it's about $2 a loaf. Last time I was at Aldi, I was pleasantly surprised to find that their brand (Loven Fresh? Something like that.) also has no HFCS so I got their honey wheat. It was less $ than the Arnold's or Nature's Own, which I get at Walmart rather than the regular grocery if I can.

I've been eating Ezekiel because I'm trying to do Belly Fat Cure, and it's sugar free and whole grain. But it's about $5/loaf (GAG), so I hoard it and make it last as long as possible.

HTH.

Nature's Own 100% whole wheat...we get their 'specialty' loaves sometimes too...I don't recall the name difference. But there's the 'normal' size loaf then the wider, heartier varieties. We like both. I buy from the bread store though and they don't always have the heartier varieties.

I love that I can buy bread for a buck!!

Oh, we like the NO sandwich thins for burgers too ;)