Menu

Sealants for children's teeth

We decided not to get sealants for our kids. The cost was one factor, but not the deciding one.

For one thing, both sides of the family seem to have a low incidence of cavities (dh - zero, me - one). For another thing, our water has a higher-than-normal fluoride level. While we don't use our tap water for drinking, we figured that the kids are getting enough fluoride through cooking water that we didn't have to worry so much about cavities. Of course, we try to enforce good brushing / flossing / Listerine habits, too.

My youngest seemed quite prone to cavities, we opted to seal. No regrets here...

Us too! My two oldest never had a single cavity in their molars...kids don't brush all that thoroughly and to know the sealant is there protecting all the little nooks back there was good peace of mind.

When the little guy gets his molars in we'll do his as well.

DH and I both had sealants as kids, as did our eldest. I didn't have a cavity till my late 30s.

We are debating the same question, so I'm going to watch this thread.

One more factor to consider: while I think the cost is reasonable, considering the potential cost of cavities (and some people are prone to them)... For our younger kiddos we are concerned about the materials in the sealant. We are *hoping* to find a BPA free sealant. [Any leads here would be appreciated :)]

I paid a lot more than that per tooth for my kids.

I grew up without dental work let alone sealants. My teeth as a teen/adult (all paid for myself) required fillings in nearly every molar. I so much wish my parents would have sealed my teeth. I'm now nearing 40 and facing crowns on all those teeth as the fillings from my teens are cracking and needing replacements.

My DH had sealants as a kid. His first cavity was in his mid 30s. That is what I want for my kids. Maybe his family just has better teeth, but still then my kids have a 50/50 as all my family has loads of fillings no matter how much we brush, floss and swish.

Absolutely do it IMHO.

Kids tend to have even deeper grooves in their teeth than adults since the teeth haven't worn down yet. Combine with marginal brushing habits, and you've got cavities.

Most dentists also replace lost sealants for free, so it is a one time expense. It's a no brainer to me even at much more than $8 per tooth. Much more.

We didn't do it with my older kids. They weren't cavity-prone. Plus, at the time they were recommended, the composite had BPA in it. My oldest had one cavity. My middle had a couple cavities on a front tooth that was malformed. Dd had sealants because she was more cavity-prone - just softer teeth. Also, this was later when BPA was supposedly removed from the composite. It seems that every dentist recommends them to every patient regardless of need. It seems like a big money-maker to me.

8$ per tooth? No question. That is a steal.

I paid much, much more for sealants with DS 1. But, it was still less than paying for a cavity. With ds2, the dentist offered sealants for free, so guess it all balanced out.

But 8 bucks per tooth is a no brainer. There is a charge for a cavity drilling and a charge per tooth surface that they have to drill. Even if the sealants don't prevent a cavity it will likely reduce the number of surfaces involved.

One more factor to consider: while I think the cost is reasonable, considering the potential cost of cavities (and some people are prone to them)... For our younger kiddos we are concerned about the materials in the sealant. We are *hoping* to find a BPA free sealant. [Any leads here would be appreciated :)]

Our pediatric dentist uses only BPA-free sealants, but we pay substantially more than $8 per tooth.

It seems that every dentist recommends them to every patient regardless of need. It seems like a big money-maker to me.

Our oldest son went to the dentist today -- a new one that I went to for the first time last week. I liked him well enough based on my experience , but my respect for him and his practice grew today when my son came home and reported that they didn't do sealants on any of his teeth. Not that we would have minded had they suggested it, but they said he had nicely-shaped molars and that sealants weren't necessary in his case. This was my concern, too, that they would want to do all of the molars on all of the kids just because. So glad to have had that good news today.

Our dentists don't recommend them anymore, they say that as long as you are having their cleanings every 6 months they are just a money maker and can do more harm than good. I had them as an adult (the only time I saw a different dentist in my life) and have been told that as they wear they make you more prone to cavities. I had to have a crown on one of those sealed teeth so far.

Are sealants for my dc's teeth worth it? The dentist recommended them for my kids teeth, but I wonder if it is worth the money. $8.00 per tooth for 4 kiddos. They are only doing the back molars, but it would still be an expensive trip to the dentist.

it's cheaper than fillings - and molars frequently end up with cavities because of all the nooks and crannies. my older kids never needed fillings in their molars - because of the sealants.

You can always space out when each child has theirs done so it isn't all at once.

Our dentists don't recommend them anymore, they say that as long as you are having their cleanings every 6 months they are just a money maker and can do more harm than good. I had them as an adult (the only time I saw a different dentist in my life) and have been told that as they wear they make you more prone to cavities. I had to have a crown on one of those sealed teeth so far.

When I asked about sealants, our dentist told us the same thing. He said that the regular cleanings kept up on any problems and from what I remember, the problems he'd seen with sealants were if one came only partly loose, that it collected gunk unawares and developed into a much worse problem.

That said, I had sealants done on my back molars during college, due to very deep grooves.

Erica in OR