Menu

If you were to do a study on modern music, which artists would you include?

He almost makes your past 60 years requirement, but I'd consider Rachmaninoff for classical.

ETA: You could do a progressive study through the last 100 years. For instance, how one style of music lead to the next style. There has to be a documentary or two that show some form of this progression. You could pick one major, influential artist from each style.

Edited by ChrisB

I'd also probably look into the rise of electronic instruments and the like. Techno, for example, wouldn't exist without modern "instruments." Pink Floyd used synths, too.

Good idea, I don't think I would have thought of this on my own!

He almost makes your past 60 years requirement, but I'd consider Rachmaninoff for classical.

ETA: You could do a progressive study through the last 100 years. For instance, how one style of music lead to the next style. There has to be a documentary or two that show some form of this progression. You could pick one major, influential artist from each style.

Another great idea!

Thanks ladies! Keep them coming!

You could do a series on film music. Start with Aaron Copland and Rachmaninoff to ease into it, then end up with some of the heavy-hitters today. Sure, do John Williams (but listen to Dvorak at the same time, so you can see where he got 90% of his themes). But also include Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman, Howard Shore, and even John Powell.

Modern classical: John Cage, Morten Lauridsen (Lux Aeterna is heavenly), and Dmitri Shostakovich. Mix Shostakovich with Russian history and WWII and you'll have something incredibly powerful - I'm haunted by him. Oh, also include Benjamin Britten's War Requiem if you tie it in to WWII.

You could watch some of the Ken Burns Jazz series from PBS.

You could also watch/listen to Koyaanisqatsi by Philip Glass (mentioned earlier). He's a great minimalist composer - you could even mix your music study with one on minimalist and pointillist art.

And I wouldn't even know where to start with modern pop. Start with swing, do some do-wop, listen to classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Doors), watch folk change from Peter, Paul & Mary to Simon & Garfunkel and Bob Dylan and on into the Avett Brothers. Do the history of emo - start with the crooners like Frank Sinatra and Pat Boone, and then move on to Death Cab for Cutie and Dashboard Confessional. :lol: And Rap - that could be like teaching WWII - so many different places and people involved it's hard to tell what's what.

You could also do musicals as an art form in its own right.

Now you've got me thinking. I might be back. :D

Look into Ken Burns's Jazz. Good stuff.

The Beatles

The Gershwins

Shostakovich

Simon & Garfunkel

John Williams

Danny Elfman (I <3 him!)

The Stones

The Runaways

Grateful Dead

Billie Holliday

Woody Guthrie

Frank Sinatra

Elvis

Buddy Holly

Bob Dylan

Clapton

The Monkees

George Harrison Post-Beatles

Jimi Hendrix

Janis Joplin

Bob Marley

The Doors

The Who

My problem is that I couldn't put modern music history into a concise form. We've started early with our kiddos, and are making music history and theory a part of their lives.

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Billy Joel, esp 'We Didn't Start The Fire'.

Its a year long assignment for Diva this year. To research all the ppl and events in the lyrics and explain the importance. :D

I only posted a few minutes ago, but I've thought of several people I left out already. Why I could never make this a self-contained class...:tongue_smilie:

I would start with classical music of the 1940s and move into swing and jazz. I would also look at folk, gospel and country music as it connects to the development of rock and various pop music incarnations.

Then I would spend time on rock music and how it progressed through the 1950s to today. From Elvis right up to punk rock and pop.

Electronic music and technology in general certainly deserves some time, it is everywhere.

I may be alone on this on a classical education board but no study of music in the last 35 years is vaguely complete without hip hop and rap. It is the single most significant musical development of the period and has now looped into so many other genres, including influence of some new orchestra/symphonic music. I would look at r&b, disco and scat singing and how they developed into, and how hip hop reacted to each. Grandmaster Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, Mary J Blige, Queen Latifah, Public Enemy, Sir Mix a Lot are all artists from the 70s moving into the 90s that made a mark in some way or another. I observe generally many people I know shy away from the whole genre because of gangster rap, but that is far from being all that is there.

For non-gangster, newer rap and hip hop I would look at The Roots, Talib Kweli, Jurassic 5 for starters.

I love music, not as an expert because I am far from it but as a consumer and enjoy-er of the musical arts as a whole. There are few genres I dislike.

We subscribe to the symphony and follow opera (used to go in three cities all the time, not really possible with little kids and new financial priorities like houses and college funds, LOL). But I love all kinds of music and rap and hip hop is a special interest of mine.

I would be remiss if I did not also add in a mention of the various waves of punk rock and country music also. Both are really rich with history and innovation and changes, though not as in the mainstream as other genres.

Finally, I would also add in that symphonic music is not dead as it is so often approached (focusing only on older works) and is currently being composed and performed. It is a great area of study as well.

Edited by kijipt

Well, the past 60 years means from the 1950's forward. :eek:

John Williams

Burt Bacharach

Elvis

Buddy Holly

Sam Cooke

The Beatles

The British Invasion in general

The Beach Boys, and similar artists

Paul McCartney after The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

Poet musicians from the 1960's (Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, etc.)

The Motown Sound

Jimi Hendrix

The Allman Brothers

Cat Stevens

Elton John

U2

Sting

Michael Jackson

I would also look at the rise of the electric guitar.

I don't think any of these three have been mentioned yet:

Steve Reich (Perhaps start with Different Trains.)

Karlheinz Stockhausen

John Cage (Be sure to listen to 4'33"!;))

Eta: Arvo Part and Havergal Brian have been popular around my house recently. (I'm sure I'll think of more...)

Edited by flutistmom

One of the reasons I suggested Billy Joel and 'We Didn't Start The Fire' is b/c the lyrics cover decades of US history, including Elvis, Chubby Checker, etc. Great starting point.

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray

South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio

Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, television

North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

Rosenbergs, H-Bomb, Sugar Ray, Panmunjom

Brando, "The King and I", and "The Catcher in the Rye"

Eisenhower, vaccine, England's got a new queen

Marciano, Liberace, Santayana goodbye

CHORUS

We didn't start the fire

It was always burning

Since the world's been turning

We didn't start the fire

No we didn't light it

But we tried to fight it

Josef Stalin, Malenkov, Nasser and Prokofiev

Rockefeller, Campanella, Communist Bloc

Roy Cohn, Juan Peron, Toscanini, Dacron

Dien Bien Phu Falls, Rock Around the Clock

Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team

Davy Crockett, Peter Pan, Elvis Presley, Disneyland

Bardot, Budapest, Alabama, Khrushchev

Princess Grace, Peyton Place, Trouble in the Suez

We didn't start the fire

It was always burning

We didn't start the fire

No we didn't light it

But we tried to fight it

Little Rock, Pasternak, Mickey Mantle, Kerouac

Sputnik, Zhou Enlai, Bridge On The River Kwai

Lebanon, Charles de Gaulle, California Baseball,

Starkweather homicide, Children of Thalidomide

Buddy Holly, Ben Hur, Space Monkey, Mafia

Hula Hoops, Castro, Edsel is a no-go

U2, Syngman Rhee, payola and Kennedy

Chubby Checker, Psycho, Belgians in the Congo

We didn't start the fire

It was always burning

We didn't start the fire

No we didn't light it

But we tried to fight it

Hemingway, Eichmann, Stranger in a Strange Land,

Dylan, Berlin, Bay of Pigs invasion

Lawrence of Arabia, British Beatlemania

Ole Miss, John Glenn, Liston beats Patterson

Pope Paul, Malcolm X, British Politician sex

J.F.K. blown away, what else do I have to say

We didn't start the fire

It was always burning

We didn't start the fire

No we didn't light it

But we tried to fight it

Birth control, Ho Chi Minh, Richard Nixon back again

Moonshot, Woodstock, Watergate, punk rock

Begin, Reagan, Palestine, Terror on the airline

Ayatollah's in Iran, Russians in Afghanistan

Wheel of Fortune, Sally Ride, heavy metal suicide

Foreign debts, homeless Vets, AIDS, Crack, Bernie Goetz

Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law

Rock and Roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore

We didn't start the fire

It was always burning since the world's been turning.

We didn't start the fire

But when we are gone

It will still burn on, and on, and on, and on...

We didn't start the fire

It was always burning

We didn't start the fire

No we didn't light it

But we tried to fight it

We didn't start the fire

It was always burning

We didn't start the fire

No we didn't light it

But we tried to fight it

We didn't start the fire

It was always burning

We didn't start the fire...

I'd also include the modern storytellers like Harry Chapin, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Neil Young, Buffolo Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Gordon Lightfoot, Bread, America, etc. I'm not sure I'd dive too far into individual artists, but the genre and the reasons behind the genre are interesting.

Don't forget Big Band music.

Lots of good stuff posted already. It's a little out of the 60-year time range, but as far as classical goes I'd start with Arnold Schoenberg, since he sort of leads the way into modern, atonal music. WWII spawned a lot of interesting music; Messiaen's "Quartet for the End of Time" was written and performed in a Nazi POW camp, where he was being held. Benjamin Britten was a fervent pacifist, even as England was under attack. I wrote my senior research on the changes in the Russian symphony made (or not made) by Shostakovich under Stalin's regime. Stalin wanted a "nationalist flavor" to all compositions, so Russian composers were walking a fine line of creativity and not being exiled to Siberia.

I'd definitely do jazz, musicals and show tunes, folk music, pop/rock, movie scores, and even video game music! The Saint Louis Symphony is performing the music of Final Fantasy for a concert this season, and the Halo soundtracks are beautiful. Fun fact: the composer for the Halo games, Martin O'Donnell, also wrote the Flinstones vitamins jingle.

When we did this for modern history, one of the things I did was let my older dds watch the Woodstock movie and a documentary where they talked to many of the participants now. They talked to Santana, Wavy Gravy, Michael Lang, etc. There is a lot of talk about drugs, but of course the documentary talked about the many artists we lost young due to drug overdose.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Beetles, Who, Janis, Grateful Dead, early punk-Ramones, S*x Pistols. Nirvana. We listen to a wide range of music in our house. When I think modern, I think 60s to now.

Beetles changed marketing and mass audiences

Janis Joplin was one of the first girls in the boy club

Who changed how instruments were played and stage performance.

Grateful Dead took music out of the studio and made their money predominently by touring

punk took music away from the studio and said p*ss on you all :) (But still give us money for our records!)

Nirvana (and other grunge bands) started a new movement of music that changed the way people dressed, even.

Our boys listen to classical, folk, jazz, rap, metal, pop, bluegrass, techno (my 11yos current favorite, to my dismay), punk, country. It's all on my ipod. They have varied tastes.

There are several music museums online, if you have one around that's within travel distance, that might be a lot of fun.

One of the best I've ever been to was in Seattle. The Experience Music Project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experience_Music_Project_and_Science_Fiction_Museum_and_Hall_of_Fame

Do you have any hard rock cafe's around?

When we did this for modern history, one of the things I did was let my older dds watch the Woodstock movie and a documentary where they talked to many of the participants now. They talked to Santana, Wavy Gravy, Michael Lang, etc. There is a lot of talk about drugs, but of course the documentary talked about the many artists we lost young due to drug overdose.

Was that the History Channel documentary? I watched that with my Mom & my grandfather. My mom was born in 1969, and my grandpa was 21 and had friends who were at Woodstock. It was really interesting to watch the doc with someone who remembers that time period.