Menu

What's everyone ordering from Scholastic Dollar Days?

Jay3fer

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far, I have Easy Make & Learn Projects: Human Body in my cart but nothing else. What's AMAZING here that I shouldn't miss out on the opportunity to spend $1 on??? ;-)

That one is really quite good and we got a lot out of it when we did our anatomy studies last year.

I purchased 15 or so eBooks from Scholastic (all last year) with the best intentions of using them, but sadly have only ever used one or two. :blushing::001_unsure:

I'm so glad they were only $1 and not their regular prices.

I've definitely learned my lesson and won't be purchasing any more. I simply don't have time to use them. Of course, I had to discover this after I print them all out and bind them. :001_rolleyes::nopity:

Me too. There have been only 3 books from my last order that we have used so far. So I am not getting any this time.

We really liked Algebra Readiness for Gr 1 and Funny Fairy Tale Math.

I see them both this time round. Other suggestions are Analogies for Gr 2-3 and two Cursive Writing books that may appeal to someone using the traditional (ZB) cursive.

That one is really quite good and we got a lot out of it when we did our anatomy studies last year.

Yay!

I purchased 15 or so eBooks from Scholastic (all last year) with the best intentions of using them, but sadly have only ever used one or two. :blushing::001_unsure:

I have also learned my lesson about buying curriculum we don't need... :-(

Our schedule is pretty maxed, that's why I'm looking for just a couple of fun things we can do on the side.

Plus, I already have TeacherFileBox, which is like this only more so. :-)))

So I am very happy they are $1.

Any other recommendations, for a 1'er or a K'er who loves to cut and paste?

I would suggest "Tunes to Teach American History". I actually bought that one as a book/CD at $14.95, and my DD enjoys it. It's not the timeline-type history songs, but songs about specific events/periods that are a little on the funny/offbeat side. At $1, it's worth getting if you're going to be doing US history. I also got the spelling one at $1 this time since it was on the sale.

I would suggest "Tunes to Teach American History". I actually bought that one as a book/CD at $14.95, and my DD enjoys it. It's not the timeline-type history songs, but songs about specific events/periods that are a little on the funny/offbeat side. At $1, it's worth getting if you're going to be doing US history. I also got the spelling one at $1 this time since it was on the sale.

I'm interested in that one but wonder how to hear the tunes. DOes anyone know if they provide mp3's?

I have about 50 or so of their titles and probably have only used 4. :D We do like them! The kids enjoy the cutouts so I bought some US History make & learn titles. We liked the math ones. Mental math and mega math fun.

I bought some of the reading comprehension one - they are printed out and I was thinking of having them do them once a week.

I haven't been able to get the site to work properly all night.:tongue_smilie:

I'll try again in the morning.

I had the same problem. It did finally go through this morning on my other computer. It took a long time to process the order even though it eventually worked.

Some of the things mentioned look good and I think I need to back away from this thread!

I'm not sure what I'll purchase this time but I purchased the human body, the two habitats selections, and Make and Learn penguins. My boys loved the penguins. I think we'll get a lot out of the human body when we use it. I'm using the habitats selections now but we've only completed one at this point. I'm a fan of their make and learn stuff. I've heard good things about their Hands On history titles though I haven't tried them.

The 10THANKS ($10 off coupon) works on the $1 items. :lol:

It says offers can't be combined. I'd be careful trying that because they may go back and take off one of the offers...likely the $1 one.

I'm moderately miffed because I just used the 10THANKS the day before the dollar days to purchase something that, of course, I could have now got for $1!

At the last Dollar Days, I purchased a bunch of stuff that I've been using quite a bit:

-15 Fun & Easy Games for Young Learners - Favorite Themes (used dinosaurs and senses so far, they also have sea life, rain forest and space games in this book)

-First Grade Basic Skills - Dot-to-Dots, Mazes and Word Searches (ds does word searches every day and LOVES mazes. I ordered the 2nd grade level of this book from this time).

-1st Grade Basic Skills - Reading Comprehension & Reading Skills (ds does the reading comprehension pages as part of school every day. I ordered the 2nd grade level from the current sale).

-15 Fun and Easy Games for Young Learners - Reading

-15 Fun and Easy Games for Young Learners - Math

(both of these have games at all different levels so we should get a lot of use out of them. I'm using games from these for both my little guys).

-20 Fun Filled Games That Build Early Reading Skills (like the 15 fun and easy books).

-Habitat Dioramas (we've used the polar habitats and the dinosaur one so far - lots of fun).

-Quick and Easy Learning Games - Science.

Definitely a theme going there - I really like the printable board games and card games for my kids. They are great for reinforcing ideas.

I got this one last time and DS7 is using it for a light grammar year.

http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/grammar-puzzles-games-kids-can-t-resist

He's finished FLL 1/2 and I wanted something fun to review grammar while he finishes WWE and before he starts FLL3 or MCT Island. It says grades 3-6 but he's in 2nd grade and the level is fine for him.

Is the download just the book or is it the book and music? I can't tell by their site.

I purchased some of the science and math games in the Spring and try to play them with my kids one night a week. The ideas of some of them are okay but the execution is not very great (like, they don't have the right number of cards, or it gets boring after two moves when each player is trapped in an endless loop), and I am a bit sorry. The science games is not bad. I am also lazy to make all the spinners and dice because they really don't come out great when homemade.

I got one of the body book downloads but I found printing it doublesided to be incredibly obnoxious because one of the pages is oriented the wrong way or something, anyway it's a major hassle. I also got some of the stationery packs, which is cute. I got two map items last time but haven't used them yet.

Also I got several of the handwriting practice type books.

I really like that you can see the entire book before purchase.

S-U-P-E-R S-L-O-W

I'm going to try to order some of the mini book collections and Spanish emergent readers. Some others-

Toss and Learn Games: Math & Around the Year

Mother Goose Phonics

Word Family File Folder Word Walls

Itty Bitty Teeny Tiny Word Books

Pre-Writing Practice Pages

Munch and Learn Math Story Mats

First Word Problems Time & Money

Play & Learn Language Arts Bingo

Write & Learn Word Family Practice Pages

Follow the Directions and Learn Grade preK

My list is growing......

I've not had too much trouble with the site as far as perusing all the options but I've not yet attempted to add anything to my cart.

I'm looking for things to keep ds 4yo busy - things he can do fairly independently. I'll definitely get the pre-writing practice pages and maybe the Follow the Directions and Learn. Anything in PreK is fair game, really. I'm also going to get the Mother Goose Math and Phonics books as we're going through our Mother Goose treasury this year in Morning Meeting.

I'm using WWE with dd 8yo and would like to supplement it with some other writing instruction so I'll be looking for that for the gr 3 level and likely some of the proofreading practice and other LA books.

I'm really, really glad that this sale came along.

I'm done! I had to do the SUPERSLOW checkout process twice, but luckily, I guess because I'd signed up ahead of time and stayed logged in, it didn't lose my cart contents. Just to be on the safe side, I was pasting all the titles I wanted into Notepad in case the cart or site crashed.

So what's the damage? :-)

#1, I used the 10THANKS discount code for $10 off

#2, I ordered 10 $1 ebooks for a grand total of... yup, $10. FREE!

Here's what I got:

Algebra Readiness Made Easy: Grade 1

20 Manipulative Mini-Books: Neighborhood and Community

Teaching Science With Favorite Picture Books

Ready-to-Go Super Book of Outline Maps

Instant Habitat Dioramas

Lift & Look Science Mini-Books and Manipulatives

Quick Crafts: Apples, Pumpkins & Harvest

Easy Make & Learn Projects: Human Body

Tunes That Teach Spelling

Easy Make & Learn Projects: Penguins

Again, I probably wouldn't have bought ALL of these if I'd had to pay. Maybe only 1 or 2. But now I have them and I'm as happy as happy can be!!!

Good luck to others trying to get their hands on these fun resources...

ETA: For everyone who recommended them, the "Hands-On History" resources look great, but we're Canadian and the younger kids' materials are all US history.

Edited by Jay3fer

Finally got my order through :) Spent $13! I am SO excited about these!!!

* Lift-the-Flap Timelines: American History

* Hands on History: American Revolution

* Hands on History: Civil War

* Hands on History: Pioneers

* Hands on History: Colonial America

* Hands on History: Explorers

* Easy Make & Learn Projects: Colonial America

* Easy Make & Learn Projects: Penguins

* Easy Make & Learn Projects: Human Body

* Follow-the-Directions Pocket Chart Activities

* Learn the Alphabet Arts & Crafts

* Mega-Fun Fractions

* Math Skills Made Fun: Kaleidoscope Math

* Instant Map Skills: World

* Instant Map Skills: United States

* Algebra Readiness Made Easy: Grade 1

* Algebra Readiness Made Easy: Grade 2

* Algebra Readiness Made Easy: Grade 3

* Pre-Writing Practice Pages

* Fun To Solve Map Mysteries

* Quick Practice Writing Skills: Grades 2-3

* Instant Habitat Dioramas

* Funny Fairy Tale Math

Their website is really quite ridiculous. Not only does my order never go through, but now it won't let me use the $10 coupon because it thinks I've already used it, but the order never got to the payment stage before it was all lost again. At this point I'd rather pay full price than deal with this anymore.

:iagree: Yup, it is an utterly terrible thing for such a big company to have such an awful website, and for this to happen EVERY SINGLE $#!%^ time they have their "dollar days" event.

HOWEVER... if you think your order did NOT go through and was lost, I'd advise logging in and checking your past orders and downloads page because there is a tiny chance that it DID go through. Certainly, if you're paying, you should make sure you don't pay twice.

I mention this because my order WAS put through twice... with the 10thanks discount each time. Free both times. So now I have two copies of each available for download, 20 items altogether. Weird. :confused:

Back in April of this year, I tried four times - all unsuccessfully - to complete an order with them. I sent an email to their CS and they tried (sort of) to help me fix the problem, although I think they were just as flummoxed as I was.

Anyway, I tried again after seeing this post, and was surprised to discover that someone there went ahead and sent me download links to everything I'd tried to order and (intentionally) did not charge me. I don't believe I ever received an email about this, either, but there they were - approximately 25-30 books, each with 12 download links. :tongue_smilie:

My order this time DID go through (the first time!) but I only bought 10. The key might be to order in small chunks - it might be a little frustrating, but not nearly as much as trying to re-create and submit the order over and over again without ever finally *completing* the order.

Anyone have a link? I found their site but I have no clue how to actually find the dollar deals.

ETA: Never mind I found it. Managed to get 10 things in my cart and register for an account...we'll see how many times I have to try to check out! For me at least, if I clicked on Add to Cart and it went to the error message page, it did still add it to the cart, even if I couldn't view the cart.

Edited by caedmyn