Menu

Well, that's a shock.

My husband is on his way home with a severance check. EXACTLY one year ago, he was laid off, so happy anniversary to us. I hope he finds a job quicker this time; last time it was January before he found something.

Dude. My husband is an eminently employable software engineer. This is our third bout of unemployment in 3 years.

I think I'm still in shock, but I have to hold it together. Time to fix some dinner.

Unbelievable. Yet again, it's two steps forward, then three steps back.

Prayers welcome.

So sorry!

There is a lot of hiring excitement here in Silicon Valley for software engineers. However, there are layoffs as well. Cisco, BAE, and I think SAP have had layoffs fairly recently. Google and Facebook are hiring like crazy. Google takes forever to pick a new employee. I don't know about Facebook.

I see that you're in Chico--has he looked at the state U up there? I've heard that that's often an area of turnover because they don't pay as well as private industry, but that the jobs are fairly stable with good benefits.

I hope that he can jump quickly into something else!

So sorry! A relative of mine is in that field and kept having to find the next job. It was crazy. The best thing that ever happened was going to work for a contract company that would hire him out for contract work. He spent about the same amount of time at a job, but the good news was when he did come to the time to move on, his company found his next contract for him quickly. Much better, although it means moving around which would be hard for someone with kids...

Thanks everybody. Luckily he has been sending his resume out (though not because we saw this coming; he's the mainstay of the software team and I don't know how they'll survive), and he has a potential bite. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it does look like a good chance.

We do want to stay here. We feel that this is where God wants us to be--though apparently God thinks I'm a lot tougher than I think I am. :tongue_smilie: And our family is here too.

He says that this time he won't hold out long; if this potential opportunity doesn't work out, pretty soon he'll go to a local company where he's sure he can get in--he'll just hate it and not earn very much. I hope it doesn't come to that.

My husband is on his way home with a severance check. EXACTLY one year ago, he was laid off, so happy anniversary to us. I hope he finds a job quicker this time; last time it was January before he found something.

Dude. My husband is an eminently employable software engineer. This is our third bout of unemployment in 3 years.

I think I'm still in shock, but I have to hold it together. Time to fix some dinner.

Unbelievable. Yet again, it's two steps forward, then three steps back.

Prayers welcome.

:grouphug: In the same boat.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: My Dh just started back to work after nearly two years of searching. He finally made it to the 90-day mark, which meant we finally got benefits, then came home yesterday saying positions have been cut and long-time employees are worried about the entire business going under. He's planning to start sending resumes out again. Sigh. And more :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:.

I'll be praying for you too. I hope something works out soon. And maybe you really are a lot tougher than you thought. Good luck!

Let's hope so! :001_smile:

I really do appreciate all the support, everybody. I don't quite want to tell everyone IRL yet. One bout of unemployment is sympathetic. Two, still sympathetic. Three starts to look a bit suspicious... I'm feeling a bit defensive about it!

I really do appreciate all the support, everybody. I don't quite want to tell everyone IRL yet. One bout of unemployment is sympathetic. Two, still sympathetic. Three starts to look a bit suspicious... I'm feeling a bit defensive about it!

I hate that you have to feel that way. You need the love and the support of those around you, and I hope you will get it. In this economy, there is nothing suspicious about a bout of unemployment, and the fact that he's been through it a few times says more about the industry than it does about him personally. I'm so sorry.

Please don't feel embarrassed/defensive - it's likely not your DH's skills but the industry he's in (software engineering is a rough place to be right now b/c they have to compete with India). If your DH is able to get retrained in a different tech field it might make a big difference long-term. [ETA: Something like Applications Support might be more viable]