Menu

Getting ready to shred my B&N Educator's Card ~ this makes no sense!!

I was at B&N this evening and like everything else in the store, the two books I wanted were ridiculously cheaper online, she wouldn't honor the online price in the store (not that I expected her to), but she told me to use my Educator's Card online and get an additional 20% off (I've never used it online before).

I had my cart all set and ready to check out, but no discounts showed up. I called the store and A.) the discount is taken off the list price, so since online was so much cheaper, I didn't get an additional discount like she had originally advised me and B.) the Educator Card isn't valid on textbooks ?????????? What the *&^???

So, Amazon will almost exclusively be cheaper now and on the off chance that it's not I think I'll still avoid B&N just on principle. They annoyed me! :lol:

Edited by Jamauk
A typo that I just couldn't let go

I stopped using my B&N educator card a long time ago. At our local B&N, they won't let you use the discount on anything other than educational materials. So when I wanted to buy a copy of Little House on the Prairie, they wouldn't let me use my educator card on it because it's "not educational material meant for the classroom."

Amazon with Prime is my BFF. :)

They keep annoying me. First, they will not take my business or membership card from the umbrella I direct because anyone could make something like that, so I have to write myself a letter, which I sign, and that's just ducky. :confused:

Then I have one lady who insists she can't break out non-educational purchases.. But everyone else can do it.

And, finally, I do not wish to stand next to a full wall of Twighlight and Twighlight knockoffs and hear they can "special order" actual literature for me! So can I, for crying out loud.

Oh, and Joy Hakim did a meet & greet a couple weeks ago? Yeah, might have had better turnout if they'd gotten her name right in the announcement. And they didn't even seem mortified to have three of the ten history books and one of the science. :glare: on the upside, I got to sit next to her in a nice little intimate gathering.

My local store will let me use it on almost anything ~ I can't complain there. But Amazon is still almost always cheaper than the list price at B&N. So, I see no reason (unless I need the book NOW) to ever use them again.

The same for us. I can't remember the last time I used my B&N card for anything school related. In fact, I think the last time I used it was at Christmas to buy a calendar for dd13 and a tote bag for myself. But still, Amazon is usually cheaper because the items I purchase are usually already discounted and I don't have to pay tax or shipping either. The B&N 20% discount is probably like 13% because I have to pay 7% taxes at my local store.

They must have changed the policy about using the educators card online? I was told it was only good for in-store purchases. I've never even tried using it online. Then again, just on this thread we can see how retail stores give out different information.

They must have changed the policy about using the educators card online? I was told it was only good for in-store purchases. I've never even tried using it online. Then again, just on this thread we can see how retail stores give out different information.

My card states on the front of it: "Accepted at Banes & Noble stores and www.bn.com" (but what is left out is that if bn.com prices are cheaper than store prices, the discount is still taken off the store price) :cursing:

My card states on the front of it: "Accepted at Banes & Noble stores and www.bn.com" (but what is left out is that if bn.com prices are cheaper than store prices, the discount is still taken off the store price) :cursing:

How is that legal if not on the card? :glare: Frustrating.

I get around it by by not using an "educator" card at B&N. I found the regular card gets me a much wider range of discounts, including the free shipping even off of small, single purchases online, and I often find prices cheaper than Amazon (but I'm not dedicated to them; I just buy from whichever is cheaper).

It's one place where I found the regular member card to be a far better deal.

I have found their customer service to be spectacular in the exeedingly rare cases in which it was needed-- very fast service and done at the convenience of the customer rather than the company, and never treating the customer as a potential criminal the way most companies do.

Wow. I guess I'm very lucky with my Barnes & Noble. They never question my educator purchases. I don't get a discount on the cheaper online prices, but I'm okay with that.

I rarely buy from Amazon anymore. I want to support local businesses and especially bookstores. I've heard about too many bookstores closing. The thought of not having a bookstore nearby scares me!

I'm sorry so many of you have had problems with B&N. That doesn't bode well for the store's future. :(

I've never had a problem at my B&N either. I don't buy much there, but I've always been able to use my educator's card. One time after I'd bought my books, my ds wanted to buy a bookmark with his own money. The cashier was nice enough to tell me to give her my card again so she could use it for my son. She said ANY kind of educational purchase counts.

Wow. I guess I'm very lucky with my Barnes & Noble. They never question my educator purchases. I don't get a discount on the cheaper online prices, but I'm okay with that.

I rarely buy from Amazon anymore. I want to support local businesses and especially bookstores. I've heard about too many bookstores closing. The thought of not having a bookstore nearby scares me!

I'm sorry so many of you have had problems with B&N. That doesn't bode well for the store's future. :(

I agree with all of this. I love my B&N educator card. I've never encountered a problem, even when using it out of state.

I do also have a B&N membership, only because I spend a lot of time (and money) at B&N, and I use the membership card for discounts on magazines, DVDs, and the cafe (no educator discount for these items), as well as for the free shipping without a minimum online purchase.

I never have problems and they clearly explained the online terms which included that I get a discount if the item is less than 20% off (no more than 20% and not on top of what is offered). I find the card to be a benefit when I want the item right now and can't wait for shipping, otherwise, I order online. Sometimes from BN. I hope you will take the time to tell management that the clerk needs to be retrained.

They ask me if the item are for classroom use and after I say "yes" they ring me up!

I have the regular membership card too. And will choose the greater of the two discounts if it is for use in my classroom. Sometimes the free shipping makes it worth it!

It's my understanding educator discounts are not applied to most/all? textbooks and a few other books because the discount on these items is either very close to or exceeds their margin.

It's s common policy for stores not to discount textbooks. I don't fault them for that.

I quit getting an Educator's card and shopping there for many items because I got the stink eye and "Is this for CLASSROOM use?" every. single. time. I purchased something. I was purchasing reading books, foreign language materials, etc. it was pretty obviously educational (it's not like I was trying to buy romance novels with it or anything! :glare:)

So now I only buy something there is I have to have it right away for a gift or such, and I pay full price. I usually go to BAM instead, because they have no problem giving me an educator discount with a smile on their face.

I've been using my B&N educator discount card for years. I have never had anyone say anything until the last two times I went. The first time I didn't have my card and the cahier said he couldn't look it up. But I rely have my card and they always locate me via my phone number. He just didn't want to be bothered. :-/ Then the last time (last week and the cashier had to look me up and that was no problem) I was told, for the first time ever, the book I was buying wasn't eligible for classroom use. I have never been told that, regardless of what I was buying. (I think I was a little embarrassed because it was a book dealing with preparing for conception, lol.)

I am disappointed in the increasing lack of selection of materials for school. I used to get all manner of curriculum there and now, each year, it dwindles a little more. <pout>

I get around it by by not using an "educator" card at B&N. I found the regular card gets me a much wider range of discounts, including the free shipping even off of small, single purchases online, and I often find prices cheaper than Amazon (but I'm not dedicated to them; I just buy from whichever is cheaper).

It's one place where I found the regular member card to be a far better deal.

I have found their customer service to be spectacular in the exeedingly rare cases in which it was needed-- very fast service and done at the convenience of the customer rather than the company, and never treating the customer as a potential criminal the way most companies do.

The educator card drives me crazy.

I agree with all of the regular card and customer service comments above. I have to admit I really love my B & N. We buy all of the books that we can from actual physical bookstores. If I can't get a book ordered then I go online. Book stores are one of my favorite things in the world and I won't go the online route when the actual physical book stores are struggling. Amazon may be cheaper but they don't make me as happy as knowing that a bookstore is in my town.

I've been told different things at different stores. The latest at our closest store, still an hour away, acted like some things were programmed for the discount.

Since I don't go that way often, I use amazon. I do love to wander in the store and usually buy something when I go, mostly clearance.

It's my understanding educator discounts are not applied to most/all? textbooks and a few other books because the discount on these items is either very close to or exceeds their margin.

Bookstores generally get textbooks for a 20 percent discount. This just about covers the cost of shipping, so they don't have a lot of savings to pass on. They usually get a 40 percent discount on trade books.

I gave up on Barnes & Noble when I spoke with a manager about a scary man with his hands down his pants and was brushed aside with a comment that he is one of their "regulars."

Ick

I am learning to love Amazon.

I stopped shopping at B&N years ago. Their prices are too high and they never have what I'm looking for. The three times I've ever ordered anything from them online they've always messed up and sent the wrong book. And then, my father bought something for my kids online from them, and they messed up his order as well! Ridiculous!

The only time I enter their store is if we're given gift cards. I much prefer amazon prime.

Yes, I switched from B&N to Amazon a long time ago. I used to have the B&N credit card and the educator discount card. It took me a while to realize how much higher their prices were because I was so in love with the store. I know at that time I was not able to use my B&N discount card online and, while browing in their store is still a real treat, there isn't one convenient enough for me to get to more than once in a rare while. Even when I do find something I want at B&N, I will wait until I get home and order it on Amazon 9 times out of 10.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I've been told different things at different stores. The latest at our closest store, still an hour away, acted like some things were programmed for the discount.

Since I don't go that way often, I use amazon. I do love to wander in the store and usually buy something when I go, mostly clearance.

Yes, and this is the other problem with that card. The last thing I want is conflict with the bookstore cashier over which books qualify "this time" when I'm in line to pay. I love buying books. It should be enjoyable and that card made it less so.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Yes, I switched from B&N to Amazon a long time ago. I used to have the B&N credit card and the educator discount card. It took me a while to realize how much higher their prices were because I was so in love with the store. I know at that time I was not able to use my B&N discount card online and, while browing in their store is still a real treat, there isn't one convenient enough for me to get to more than once in a rare while. Even when I do find something I want at B&N, I will wait until I get home and order it on Amazon 9 times out of 10.

Lisa

That is just so funny! I had that issue with Borders, but not B&N. I often find things cheaper, often much cheaper, at B&N, and the regular membership has no minimum for free shipping like Amazon.

Somehow I got the greatest deal. I went into the store, had the customer service rep order my books online. He then took the 25% off everything (it was teacher appreciation week) and had delivered to my home. It was a huge order. I was ordering for 7 girls 14 books each plus others. I think I got lucky when I got this customer service rep. I will have to see when he is working agian.

I'm always amazed when I hear about bad experiences at B&N, because it's my favorite store.

I've shopped regularly at several local B&Ns and never, ever had a bad experience. The first time I went in to sign up for the educator program, I brought along a copy of my daughter's evaluation form for the previous year. They handed me a card and have renewed it every year virtually without comment.

I always try to be very honest about using the card and separate out my "personal" stuff from "educational" purposes. They usually sweep it all into a pile and say it's easier to give the discount on everything. They have also talked me into getting the discount on any book I'm buying for my kids.

Given a choice, I will always partonize a brick-and-mortar store, rather than order online, because I desperately want those stores to be available to me in the future. I actively avoid ordering from Amazon and will happily pay an extra dollar or two to order from B&N's website if I do have to go online.

Bookstores are important to me. And, after watching first independents and now one major chain be run out of business in large part by online commerce, I'm both saddened and angry enough to make a few sacrifices to try and help save the ones that are left.

I gave up on B&N a long time ago. Whether I get a discount depends on which store I go to (there are 3 about equal distance from me), the cashier, and even the manager on duty. I would much rather deal with a strict but consistent policy, than a different one every time I make a purchase.

TBH, part of the reason I chose a Kindle over a Nook is because of my frustration with B&N customer service in other areas. I was afraid it would transfer to the Nook, if I ever needed CS.

This has been my experience too. When they question whether it's educational material (I usually buy pleasure-reading books for my kids) I say, "We homeschool, so nearly everything we buy here is for educational purposes." No one has ever questioned that. The last couple times I've been in they've even stacked my educator's card with the kids' club card (you get money back after spending a certain amount with the kids' club). Amazon is often cheaper, but if I want something, I usually don't want to wait for it. Besides, I really like my B&N. They run some great, free programs there.

That is just so funny! I had that issue with Borders, but not B&N. I often find things cheaper, often much cheaper, at B&N, and the regular membership has no minimum for free shipping like Amazon.

Ah, well that has changed then as far as the shipping goes. It used to be B&N required you to purchase $25 of books before you could get free shipping even as a member. I have had Amazon Prime for free since last October through the Amazon Mom program and there is no minimum for free 2-day shipping.

I recently looked up a number of books on B&N and Amazon that my sister was interested in and all the B&N ones were more expensive, so I can't agree with you there. The kindle versions were priced the same, but not the bound books. Though maybe we are purchasing different types of things and that is why we are having different experiences.

I do understand what people are saying about wanting to support the brick-and-mortar store. I still love to browse in B&N when I get the chance. I do wonder what will happen with Amazon prices and customer service once they have put everyone else out of business. Unfortunately, where we live, it is too expensive and time consuming for me to drive to B&N. I buy almost everything from Amazon -- gluten free food, Christmas and birthday gifts, swim gear, books, etc. I rarely buy anything in an actual store anymore.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I use my educator card all the time because I like having a local bookstore to go to. I enjoy walking around with a cup of coffee and looking at the books. I enjoy sitting down with my youngest, and reading to him, and having him read to me... and then putting the books back on the shelf. Having a local bookstore provides me with entertainment and the chance to see the whole book before buying it, so I like to support them.

If I want to buy just one $5 or $6 book online I will go to bn.com instead of amazon because I can use my membership card to get free shipping. Sometimes I don't feel like I have $25 to spend on books.

I think their textbook policy is very odd and frustrating. I don't think it's particularly frustrating that they have one at all, but that it seems a little unpredictable to me what they call a textbook. I was able to use my educator discount on Wheelock's Latin, which was my textbook in college, but not 100EZ Lessons, which I consider a parent guide, not a textbook! I don't understand that.

I use my educator discount all the time on children's books. They have never questioned me. In their words the policy is that it can only be used on "materials used in the classroom." Obviously literature is a subject, so books for my children to read count.

I have found that Amazon is almost universally cheaper than anywhere else. The prices themselves are cheaper and then I always get free shipping and I don't think I pay taxes. I have frequently bought books for .01 plus $3.99 shipping (so $4 total) that are brand new or practically new. I can usually get stuff cheaper on Amazon than even the local used bookstore. Their prices have been so consistantly cheaper than anywhere else that I don't even bother shopping around anymore.

I absolutely prefer to patronize independently owned, B&M stores, and don't mind paying more to do so. However... Our B&M bookstores are putting themselves out of business with their poor selections and shoddy customer service. You'd think they would want to distinguish themselves by providing great service to people who actually walk through their doors, but I find more and more this isn't the case.

I have found that Amazon is almost universally cheaper than anywhere else. The prices themselves are cheaper and then I always get free shipping and I don't think I pay taxes. I have frequently bought books for .01 plus $3.99 shipping (so $4 total) that are brand new or practically new. I can usually get stuff cheaper on Amazon than even the local used bookstore. Their prices have been so consistantly cheaper than anywhere else that I don't even bother shopping around anymore.
We're fortunate to have Powell's. I use their Internet store when I need a number of specific items from various locations and have them sent to the downtown store for pickup. [ETA: And of course we go there to browse. :001_smile:]

We go to a nearby B&N once a week after skating lessons and the girls hang out with friends for two or three hours. Perhaps our store is unique, but two of the women who work in the kids' area are passionate and knowledgeable about children's books, more so even than any of the incredible Powell's employees I've met over the years. Heck one of them could give our beloved local children's librarian a run for her money. :tongue_smilie: I'd feel guilty if we didn't make regular purchases, so we usually leave with at least one or two paperbacks. However, for whatever reason, my educator discount is applied to everything, book or not, except magazines and DVD's/CD's etc. (not that B&N is the best place to buy those anyway).

Edited by nmoira

Goodness! I didn't expect my little rant to go on this long! :D

I feel that I should point out that even though I've given up on B&N, I still believe in supporting locally owned brick & mortar stores. However, in my mind even though B&N has stores and Amazon doesn't they really aren't all that different. They are both huge national corporations. Yes, Amazon is damaging B&N, but B&N damaged all the little Mom and Pop stores when they first moved into town as well.

We live in a small little town in the Puget Sound area. We have two small, locally owned book stores and my children and I frequent them often. When my kids earn a new book for chores, reading charts or whatever we always head to these places.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that. Carry on. ;)

Goodness! I didn't expect my little rant to go on this long! :D

I feel that I should point out that even though I've given up on B&N, I still believe in supporting locally owned brick & mortar stores. However, in my mind even though B&N has stores and Amazon doesn't they really aren't all that different. They are both huge national corporations. Yes, Amazon is damaging B&N, but B&N damaged all the little Mom and Pop stores when they first moved into town as well.

We live in a small little town in the Puget Sound area. We have two small, locally owned book stores and my children and I frequent them often. When my kids earn a new book for chores, reading charts or whatever we always head to these places.

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that. Carry on. ;)

Amazon didn't do any damage to B&N that they didn't do to themselves :) B&N is terrible.

Amazon gets over 90% of my spending money, but I note which books they don't discount. Then I try to support B&N and get a few books there every week. I love to browse in bookstores and want to do my part in keeping them running.

I had a hard time getting the B&N Educator's Card the first few times I tried. I had to show papers and schedule and such and overall the staff just looked like they enjoyed giving me such a hard time. I asked for the manager, showed him my homeschool ID card and he said that's great and gave me the card. From then on, they haven't hesitated to apply the discount on anything we've purchased. We've even made friends with the staff and they comment on everything my daughter picks out to read.

I don't shop at B&N because of all the issues I've had with their educator card. I got one years ago (before they were digitized) but had a lot of problems because they wanted proof I homeschooled and my state doesn't require anything, so I didn't have "proof." They finally gave me one, but I think I used it once or twice. I went back last year to get a new one, filled out all the paperwork, was issued the card, and thought all was good. However, it never worked online - always said it was invalid. I emailed several times about it, but all they said was that I had to go back to the store and talk to them. I never did - it just wasn't worth the hassle.

I had my cart all set and ready to check out, but no discounts showed up. I called the store and A.) the discount is taken off the list price, so since online was so much cheaper, I didn't get an additional discount like she had originally advised me and B.) the Educator Card isn't valid on textbooks ?????????? What the *&^???

So, Amazon will almost exclusively be cheaper now and on the off chance that it's not I think I'll still avoid B&N just on principle. They annoyed me! :lol:

I only have bought stuff at B&N if I a) can't wait and they actually have it or b) someone gave me a gift card.

also try fetchbook.com for textbooks. (there are many consolidators you can plug in the ISBN for your search) at least it was my daughter's favorite site for college texts.

Amazon didn't do any damage to B&N that they didn't do to themselves :) B&N is terrible.

:iagree: I feel the same about Elliot Books going under. they did it to themselves.

Edited by gardenmom5

We live in a small little town in the Puget Sound area.

Not sure exactly where you are, but when doing field trips to the Seattle area, you might be interested in Homeschool Potpourri Bookshop in Totem Lake in Kirkland. You can even drop off curriculum for consignment. they are also online.

Not sure exactly where you are, but when doing field trips to the Seattle area, you might be interested in Homeschool Potpourri Bookshop in Totem Lake in Kirkland. You can even drop off curriculum for consignment. they are also online.

We're in Kitsap Co, but my inlaws live on the eastside. I wasn't aware of this store. Thanks for the tip! We're in the area about once a month or so.

We're in Kitsap Co, but my inlaws live on the eastside. I wasn't aware of this store. Thanks for the tip! We're in the area about once a month or so.

It's a hole in the wall off 124th in a strip mall - NOT totem lake mall. closed evenings and sundays.

http://homeschoolpotpourri.com/