Menu

Your Very Most Favorite Salad... :)

My favorite 'unusual' but easy salad is: Whole baby spinach leaves, dried cranberries, a little crumbled goat cheese, all tossed with raspberry vinaigrette (I like Amy's brand), and garnished with toasted sliced almonds.

My favorite go to green salad works like this:

Take a big salad bowl. Pour in a little vinegar, maybe 1/2 cup for a really big bowl. I like balsamic vinegar the best for greens, but you can vary this with apple cider, red wine, rice wine, or champagne vinegars, or with lemon juice. Sprinkle in some garlic powder, maybe 1/2 tsp, and about a tsp of kosher salt. Add 1/4 tsp of white pepper and the same of dry mustard. Then crumble in some dried herbs. Here are two good mixtures:

1 T Italian seasoning with 1 t basil, 1 t oregano, and 1/2 t rosemary

or

1 T herbes de Provence with 1 T tarragon and 1 t marjoram

Whisk until everything is mixed well and the herbs are not dry anymore. Then whisk in 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil and mix well.

On top add your greens--lots and lots of them, a variety, well rinsed and thoroughly dried. I like to use at least 3 kinds if possible--romaine, radiccchio, feltsalat, arugula, red leaf, butter lettuce, etc.,--and to use very fresh greens whenever I can get them.

Put the whole thing into the refrigerator. When you're ready to serve it, you toss it thoroughly, which brings up the salad dressing. This is one of the best salads I know of, and once you have done it a couple of times it goes very fast, although it doesn't sound like it will at first.

I ate this originally at a restaurant and fell in love with it. Since crab is very pricey, we only have it once in a great while.

Make a bed of spinach leaves on each plate. Top with:

cooked crabmeat (we use 1 lb. crabmeat for 9 people, but some of us are still pretty young)

crumbled goat cheese

chopped toasted pecans

dried cranberries

+ other vegetables as we have them, but nothing very strongly flavored, maybe a bit of ribboned carrot or some cucumber slices.

Top with raspberry vinaigrette. Serve with a whole grain bread.

Enjoy!

GardenMom

I love, love, love Ree Drummond's Asian Salad. I add minced chicken to make it a meal. I'd post the link, but I cannot get her website to load right now. thepioneerwoman.com

It is full of veggies (cabbages, spinach, etc.) with noodles and a dressing with soy sauce, lime, and sesame oil. I add other veggies, including cucumbers.

Sooooo good.

Cobb

Roasted beets with blue cheese or gorgonzola

pears and gorgonzola or blue cheese (preferably with some toasted walnuts or pecans)

Broccoli slaw (shredded broccoli stalks-I'm lazy and usually buy the prebagged brocc. slaw-with crumbled bacon (optional), cheddar cheese, sliced green onion, and ranch dressing. To bump it up another notch, toast some slivered almonds and add that just before serving. I've taken this to pot lucks and for some reason this gets devoured. Also good with something like toasted sunflower seeds.

We do cucumber salad pretty often (ACV or red wine vinegar and a little stevia, or sour cream or greek yogurt with a little vinegar and a touch of stevia, along with powdered garlic powder)

Raw cauliflower contains a mild poison that is neutralized by cooking. You might want to reconsider this recipe.

Really? I wonder what the side effects are, as raw cauli is probably one of my kids' favorite snacks. We eat it all the time. Maybe that is what makes them all so willful! It's just cauli poisoning! :lol:

I like lots of fresh baby spinach, sliced strawberries, mozzarella cheese, chopped walnuts or almond slivers and drizzled with a raspberry vinaigrette.

The same thing but changing out the strawberries for Mandarin orange slices and the almonds/walnuts for pecans is really good.

Raw broccoli, cauliflower, raisins, sunflower seeds, red onion, and bacon with a mayonnaise dressing. I also love green salads loaded with fresh veggies.

This recipe is the first one I thought of as well. I often bring it to potlucks and picnics and everyone just loves it. My husband most of all. :001_smile:

Do you want a green salad, becasue I'm with the pp who thought of whipped cream stuff too. :tongue_smilie: This is one of our favorites and I'm posting it because it is also the easiest thing in the world to make. If I need to bring something somewhere without much notice, this is my go to recipe. No marshmellows here though! I sub pecans and it is so freaking good. :D

5-Cup Fruit Salad

What You Need

1 can (8-1/4 oz.) DOLE Pineapple Chunks, undrained

1 can (11 oz.) DOLE Mandarin Orange Segments, drained

1 container (8 oz.) BREAKSTONE'S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream, any variety

1 cup BAKER'S ANGEL FLAKE Coconut

1 cupJET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallows

Make It

DRAIN pineapple, reserving 1 Tbsp. of the juice.

MIX pineapple, reserved juice and remaining ingredients; toss lightly. Cover.

REFRIGERATE several hours or until chilled.

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/five-cup-fruit-salad-51548.aspx

ETA I use dried shredded coconut and just add more pineapple juice to rehydrate it.

Edited by JENinOR
dried coconut

All of them. We are salad freaks.

:iagree:

And, I make my own dressings. I like them better than store bought.

Yogurt-Dill

Dump a bunch of yogurt and a bunch of mayo into a small bowl (we like it about 2/3 yogurt, 1/3 mayo). Wisk in a little garlic and a lot of dill. Easy and yum!

Oil/Vinegar

1/2 oil, 1/2 vinegar (I like viniagrette or apple cider), a couple shakes of soy sauce, a little honey. I could drink this stuff!!!!

For me: Greens, cuke, carrots chopped all tiny, tomato, fresh sugar snap peas chopped up, chopped bits of orange or yellow bell pepper, little sprinkle of hard cheese, toasted pine nuts and homemade dressing of lemon, olive oil and a little salt and pepper. I add chicken to make it a meal.

For the kids: Greens, cuke, carrots in hunks, apple, orange, grapes and a little sprinkle of cheese. They seriously eat this for every other dinner because half the time they don't like the vege side I make, so I just stick a "kid salad" on the plate for them. We've slowly added more greens and less fruit (but still some) and now they really like it.

I like reading these suggestions.

Well, I was waiting for your answer about wanting fruit salad recipes, but got impatient. :lol: A friend of mine made this salad for a wedding and dh beat me to it and asked me go get the recipe. I think it was just chopped up apples, whipped topping, and chocolate covered raisins. This is prob. my favorie desserty fruit salad thing. It is just too good!

Raw broccoli, cauliflower, raisins, sunflower seeds, red onion, and bacon with a mayonnaise dressing. I also love green salads loaded with fresh veggies.

This has been our fav. this summer. We add some cabbage to make it stretch.

It's a meal in a bowl. :001_smile:

Raw cauliflower contains a mild poison that is neutralized by cooking. You might want to reconsider this recipe.

What is your source for this? I found one reference to there being a mild thyroid inhibitor in cauliflower when raw (as well as many other veggies) but nothing about poison. I have eaten raw cauliflower for the better part of my life.

What is your source for this? I found one reference to there being a mild thyroid inhibitor in cauliflower when raw (as well as many other veggies) but nothing about poison. I have eaten raw cauliflower for the better part of my life.

I've heard the same thing about spinach (you shouldn't eat it raw). I don't know. Seems like eating these vegies (even if uncooked) would be better than not eating them at all.

I looked and only found the same. A bit of parboiling takes care of that though if someone was really concerned...I'm not concerned enough to give up raw cauliflower or broccoli though. :D

Israeli Salad is one of our favorites:

• 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 cucumbers, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • juice from 1 lemon
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt
  • pepper

Sometimes I use a lime or 2 instead of a lemon.

Huh. Apparently there's quite a debate out there (it is the internet, so I don't know why I'm surprised) about whether you should eat spinach and various other vegetables like cauliflower raw or cooked. From what I could gather, they're not harmful raw. But some people think you don't get much out of them raw. Other people think you get more out of everything raw. Other people think that's why you should juice simply everything because then it's like you spent half an hour chewing your salad, which would apparently be a good idea. Sigh. Yet again, I got new food and health information and it caused me to decide not to change anything.

Tabbouhleh is delicious. I like the eggplant/aubergine salad moutabal/baba ghanoush, but not the pureed one with tahina, but the chunkier one with tomato. I never figured out exactly why it's different, but it is soooooo much better. I'll eat either, though!

I often make a roast veggie salad - aubergine, red pepper, butternut, baby tomatoes, tossed with baby spinach leaves, and with feta and pine nuts if I am going all out. I have it on a bed of couscous if I am wanting a full meal.

Greek salad or mixed spring greens, cuke, Feta, red onion, olive oil and vinegar dressing.

:iagree: with tomato

and

Guacamole! Is TOO a salad!!!

A friend made me a lovely salad with spinach, strawberries, and avocado. She put a honey/ vinaigrette dressing on it. ::swoon::

Edited by KungFuPanda

baby spinach leaves

arugula

crumbled blue or goat cheese

almonds or pecans

very thinly sliced red onion

halved grapes or mandarin oranges

croutons or bacon when I'm making it for family; I leave this out for me.

vinaigrette - whisk together olive oil, balsamic, honey, kosher salt, coarse pepper and maybe a little fresh garlic or garlic powder (all to taste...I couldn't even start to tell you how much of each ingredient)

As for raw cauliflower...we eat it quite a bit, along with raw broccoli. I'd have to see some substantial evidence to take it--and all the vegetables like it--off our table. :lol:

I've heard the same thing about spinach (you shouldn't eat it raw). I don't know. Seems like eating these vegies (even if uncooked) would be better than not eating them at all.

What I have heard about spinach is that the iron in it is far less accessible when it's raw than when it's cooked. But I have never heard that it's actually bad for you when raw.

The only other real warning I know of is that grapefruit slows down the metabolizing of certain drugs significantly, so that they can build up in your body to the point where a normal dose becomes an overdose. That I heard from two pharmacists, and now I always check if I'm given a new medication whether it's one of the ones that is effected by this. It's a pretty strong effect.

• 3 months later...
Guest dimpleromani

In salad, my favorite is mango salad, a shredded ripe mango salad combine with fish paste, chop tomatoes and that's it, very simple, yet so delicious salad.

Caprese Salad is my absolute favorite but this is not the time of year for fresh tomatoes and basil.

I am still eating lettuce and radishes from my CSA. We love homemade blue cheese dressing, using the Joy of Cooking recipe.

The other night we made a slaw with Chinese cabbage, carrot and red onion, dressed with a mixture of rice wine vinegar, grated ginger, oil and just a bit of minced chili. It was delicious!

Another favorite is a roasted sweet potato salad. I rub chopped sweet potato junks with a mix of olive oil, seasoned salt, oregano and smoky paprika. After they roast, I let them cool a bit and toss with feta.