Menu

Can YOU see the "standout" colour? I can't.

"In a test, Himba [of northern Namibia] were able to very quickly point out the standout color below:"

ring1.jpg

However, they have a difficult time picking out the standout colour here, the one we see as blue:

ring2.jpg

Here's the link to the article, How language affects color perception, and, yes, you're told which square is different. The first set of squares still look the same to me even after knowing.

Edited by nmoira

I'm confused. All the colors in the top picture are green. :confused:
That's how they appear to me, but one is different. I initially left out the article title, "How language affects color perception." I read about this phenomenon way-back-when in psychology class, but had never seen an example until today.

Initially I can spot the one they say is different...if I spend too much time on it, they all start looking the same.

If I look for too long, they start rotating. :tongue_smilie:

That's the anchovies talking. ;)

:lol:

ETA: Now you've got me thinking about fermented anchovies, and I'm not sure I'll recover.

Maybe I should have said, "Those are the anchovies talking."

I'm getting paranoid.

See my ETA above... :tongue_smilie:

Initially I can spot the one they say is different...if I spend too much time on it, they all start looking the same.

That's exactly my experience. If I *glance*, my eye is *immediately* drawn to the one that's different. If I *stare* they become indistinguishable. It's very weird.

I was wondering if I am, (or everyone else is) crazy, because I see the 11 o'clock one as different.

If people are calling the one they say is different as different, it is a case of the Emperor's New Clothes.

I pulled the image into photoshop and tested them to verify. The one at 11 o'clock is different.

I was wondering if I am, (or everyone else is) crazy, because I see the 11 o'clock one as different.

If people are calling the one they say is different as different, it is a case of the Emperor's New Clothes.

I pulled the image into photoshop and tested them to verify. The one at 11 o'clock is different.

Yes, I think that's the one that is supposed to be different. At least that's what I gathered from the article (there is a clickable link with the answer.)

I do too. It stood out to me immediately.

I picked the right one too, but not as fast as dh did.

I watched the video and found it really quite fascinating. I admit to giggling a bit when they pointed out the astounding new discovery that there's a difference between men and women (more than one, I would say...lol). But all in all, very interesting.

Weird. I picked it out. I was certain of the square that was a different color, and I was right. I looked from several different angles, and moved my monitor back and forth.

But I have NO idea why I was so certain, because it looks the same color as all the others to me. :001_huh:

Cat

yes to this.