• ABeka
    • Horizons
    • Bob Jones University
    • Singapore
    • Math Mammoth
    • Teaching Textbooks
    • Miquon
    • Other

I'm using BJU this year. I have tried Horizons and CLE in the past. My ds understands math very easily and was very frustrated with the spiral approaches. He was always asking to learn something new instead of doing the same kinds of problems over and over. He like CLE better than Horizons, but I really think that the problems were so spread out on the pages, that it made him feel the lessons were very, very long. He's also very visual and likes color. He is enjoy BJU much more than the others.

Great Girl: Whatever text her professor and tutor want her to use. Lots of competition materials.

Middle Girl: Art of Problem Solving (Algebra, Geometry, Counting/Probability).

For arithmetic (e.g. number-crunching facility & speed), Standard Service Arithmetics.

Wee Girl: Miquon & Kitchen Table Math

Between Miquon/KTM and AOPS, we use the Key To series.

Miquon for my first grader. He seems to like the rods and exploration. (DD did not care for the exploration aspect of Miquon though.)

My fourth grader uses Calvert, because I got it free. I neither love nor hate it; it mostly just provides me with topics and practice problems, and I may or may not teach a concept the way the book does.

I am curious about MEP though and want to look into that more.

Has anyone switched from one math to another and had difficulty with the transition? We were using A Beka 3 and have moved to Saxon 5/4 with the Dive CD. I am having trouble as some of the stuff in Saxon is way behind where we the kids are but some concepts are new. Example: Lesson 25 is subtration stories which my children have been doing for over a year now but Lesson 23 introduces Lines, Segments, Rays and Angles which is a new concept. My kids are very good at math (they DO NOT get that from me! ) but I do not want to move them along too fast or miss out on terminology that will matter later! Help!!!

We use Singapore and Miquon as a math lab. The 9 yro will be adding Life of Fred fractions this year to supplement.

Two of my kids used Singapore from the beginning. My son used Horizons until 2nd grade and at the beginning of 2nd grade, he just started crying during math. He seems OK with Singapore so far. No crying. ;)

For those of you using Math Mammoth grade 2, how much do you try to get done in a sitting? The pages are really not set up like a daily lesson. I'm always wondering if I'm aiming too high or too low. My son really struggles with math.

My older kids do 2 pages a day (3 if there are a small amount of problems on one). My upcoming 2nd grader will only do 1 page a day though, so that's what we do. I'm going to work him up to 2 pages a day, but it will be a slow process.

I would suggest going slow if he's struggling. IMO, better to go slow and not frustrate him than to try and make him do too much and have him shut down on math. Also, don't feel you have to do ALL the problems. Try the odds or evens one day and if he needs more practice go back and do the others. If not, move him on. That may not be so overwhelming to him... at some point a light might go off for him and he will all of a sudden get it easier... then you can increase your pace. (I would aim for 2 pages a day, I think that's the pacing she suggests.)

My dd takes longer than my oldest ds to "get" concepts. I had to realize that if I just give her a bit more time, she'll get it... whereas my oldest can do it once and understand it.