Menu

Question for mods

If you start a thread and it takes a direction which you did not intend, do you have the right to request that the entire thread be deleted?

I did look under the FAQs, but I didn't find the answer to this question. On other forums I visit, the person who created the thread has the right to request that it be deleted also. I'm wondering if that's true here, too, and if so, what are the procedures?

Yes, this is because of Homemaker's thread. I noticed that on page 3 she requested that her thread be deleted, but it has continued on to 15 pages as of this post. So, I was wondering what the proper procedures are. A mod may have easily missed that request, so perhaps a PM may have been in order? Or is deleting a thread only at the mods' discretion? Just trying to understand.

Thanks! :)

The mods may have seen the request to remove the thread, but it is still their discretion to remove the thread or not. Just because you don't like how others responded to you is not reason enough to demand a thread be removed. This is not the place to post if you will only accept sycophantic responses. If you don't like that someone has disagreed with you either find a homogenous place of your brand, or pull up your big girl panties and get over it. Don't play pouty princess just because you didn't get the replies you wanted.

The mods could remove it, but we may choose to start a spin-off thread. This is a topic that bears looking at from all angles, regardless of religious belief. I admit sometimes I find discussion of things I don't agree with annoying, but I've also changed my opinions on things based on discussion and research. I am not reading all the posts in the thread, but this discussion has moved beyond the OP.

I'm not anti-modesty by any means, but I do think it should be applied consistently to both sexes, and not harming body image - which is hard to do with teens anyway. :)

The mods may have seen the request to remove the thread, but it is still their discretion to remove the thread or not. Just because you don't like how others responded to you is not reason enough to demand a thread be removed. This is not the place to post if you will only accept sycophantic responses. If you don't like that someone has disagreed with you either find a homogenous place of your brand, or pull up your big girl panties and get over it. Don't play pouty princess just because you didn't get the replies you wanted.

:iagree:

I also don't think it's fair to all of the other members who have invested their time, sharing in the conversation.

If you don't like that someone has disagreed with you either find a homogenous place of your brand, or pull up your big girl panties and get over it. Don't play pouty princess just because you didn't get the replies you wanted.

Nicely said.

Terri

:iagree: such is life on a public forum.

Amen.

I have seen the mods delete lots of threads at the OP's request. I think they usually PM the moderators to request that.

Usually it is because the threads have become truly ugly - something that despite the accusations of "unkindness" have not actually happened in the modesty thread. Or it is because the person put out too much personal information - again something that doesn't fit the modesty thread because she did not name any names or give any identifying information.

I kinda like it when the thread get heated. Not ugly, just heated. Makes it more interesting :)

Mind you I don't participate much in those threads. I just don't feel like I can articulate my thoughts good enough, but I do love to read through them!

Also, just because you start a thread doesn't result in you actually owning the thread. The board and its threads belong to PHP.

Also, just because you start a thread doesn't result in you actually owning the thread. The board and its threads belong to PHP.

I agree. I find it annoying when a thread takes a turn (or two or three) and someone feels they must nag the thread participants to "stick to the OP." :001_rolleyes: As if we're not grown up enough to be able to manage a conversation with multiple tangents on our own .

You can't control where a thread goes. But it does get frustrating when you've started a thread asking questions on a particular subject and the majority of the replies are focused on some tangent.

Not that this is what happened in the referenced thread. But it does sometimes happen that few people seem interested in replying to the original question.

You can't control where a thread goes. But it does get frustrating when you've started a thread asking questions on a particular subject and the majority of the replies are focused on some tangent.

Not that this is what happened in the referenced thread. But it does sometimes happen that few people seem interested in replying to the original question.

What was the question?:auto:

Apparently it got a little too nasty at the end, but I missed where. I asked a question toward the end and didn't see if I got an answer back. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, would you mind pm'ing me? Don't want to get this thread locked as well, and I don't want to cause drama, but I'm a little curious is all. ;)

Mimm, have you ever used "The Wayback Machine".

Sometimes when net information is erased, it lives on there.

I don't think the indexing time on this particular issue is leading me to think it would be there, but wayback is a fantastic resource for when web content is removed and you'd like to recover it, or see it in a particular form as it was in the beginning.

This type of information technology that really makes whatever one says forever on the web...you lose control of it's history & archiving once you publish anything at all.

As if we're not grown up enough to be able to manage a conversation with multiple tangents on our own.

I'm all about multiple tangets. It's how I function best. I did miss the original thread though. I guess I need to visit here more often.

I made it to post 200, but when I moved onto the next page and it was gone. I really wanted to know how it ended!

Of course, by the time you get to 200 posts, everything that's going to be said, has been said.

Just an aside, totally unrelated to this post: did you know you can subscribe to threads and receive posts via email? Just sayin'...;)

:D. Amen sister.

:lol::iagree:

It's my understanding that this speciality section of wtm carries with it special guidelines which are found here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/faq.php

There is a notation in the guidelines about deletions that states:

Will we delete (or close) posts?

At times, when threads get too intense, we have to delete (or close) them. Even threads that start off civil can quickly devolve into mayhem, and we may choose to preemptively close them. Please don't ask why the thread (or your post) was deleted. It wasn't necessarily something you said. Very likely, somebody before you or after you posted something that had to come down. Sometimes, the only way we can remove the troublesome posts is by removing the whole thread. And a question like "where did my post go?" or "where did the ________ discussion go?" only serves to bring the discussion back to the boards. Posts that ask "where is X post?" will be deleted. We may also delete posts that do not add to the topic at hand.

A note about posting We want you to carry on all sorts of conversations on this board. Please do remember, though, that we are hosting it (and it does cost money) as a support forum for home educators. Megalong threads with little content cost us bandwidth and extra money. And so far as we can tell, they DO throw the server for a loop more often than shorter threads. So please don't start threads whose topic is post-for-the-sake-of-posting.

Word up!

In her defense, her desire to have the thread deleted might have had more to do than what people were saying about her dh than people disagreeing with the general topic.

And the only posts of the thread that reflect on you are the one you write. Nothing anyone else says reflects on you in any way.

Garga, you would get a daily digest.

Rosie

I also don't think it's fair to all of the other members who have invested their time, sharing in the conversation.

:iagree: It is most annoying to wake up & turn on the computer only to find that the thread that you'd been following with interest has disappeared because the OP didn't like the direction it had gone. This group is very diverse & we all can learn much from each other, if we keep an open mind. If you don't like the direction a thread has taken, don't read anymore. Just skip it. No one will think that just because you started the thread, that you agree with all the opinions offered.

JMHO,

:iagree: It is most annoying to wake up & turn on the computer only to find that the thread that you'd been following with interest has disappeared because the OP didn't like the direction it had gone. This group is very diverse & we all can learn much from each other, if we keep an open mind. If you don't like the direction a thread has taken, don't read anymore. Just skip it. No one will think that just because you started the thread, that you agree with all the opinions offered.

JMHO,

Wouldn't a thread disappear only if the *moderators* didn't like the direction it had gone? The fact that the OP requested it in this instance was not enough to make it happen; the moderators had to feel that it needed to go, as well. I'm pretty sure they don't just acquiesce to every request every poster makes.

:iagree::iagree: Well spoken Audrey.

Well, I'm not disagreeing with all of you--you've made some very valid points.

But my question remains unanswered.

I just wanted to know what the OFFICIAL POLICY is. Does the person who started a thread have the right to request it deleted? :confused:

If no, then OP can request but, yes, it is up to the mod's discretion.

If yes, then IMO, the OP should be sure that a mod sees the request (flagging or pm'ing), and if anyone else wants to continue the discussion after the OP requested it to be moved, well, then I suppose they should "pull up their big girl panties" and get over the fact that they lost 20+ pages of a thread when the mod finally does see the request and removes the thread.

Seriously, though, I'm surprised this thread got this long. I'm just wondering what the SOP is.