Menu

How do you break the TV habit?

My boy must ask before turning the TV on. I have removed channels I do not want him watching from the favorites list. Instead I record (DVR) a few shows he likes and he watches them for TV time. I only keep two episodes of a show at one time. During a school year, I do not allow any TV until we are completely done with the day's work.

We got rid of it. I did it when things were busy so it felt easier.

I do allow the kids to watch a DVD or netflix on the computer but only at 4:30, and until I put dinner on the table. No arguments. No negotiating. Makes it much easier to have firm boundaries. I have a friend who seems to be constantly negotiating TV with her kids. It looks exhausting.

I also don't make it too comfortable. They watch on the laptop at the computer desk on hard chairs. No lounging on the couch watching a huge screen with a sound system. We don't have cable so there isn't much choice. It is all disk or netflix streaming. The kids have never seen commercial TV. They don't even understand how it works, lol.

No TV, for anyone (even me) until 4pm. (DH has his own office/ floor in the house so he does what he wants.) Bedtime for the younger kids is 7pm (with lights out at 9) so that's 3 hours a day max they can watch. My teens sometimes watch movies at night but I'm very strict about the not-before-4pm rule. Weekends are typically a free for all, I don't put limits on TV. When the younger ones are awake and within view, though, it has to be G rated. I hope this helps!

(Meant to add, the above was a compromise to getting rid of it entirely, which DH refuses to do.)

No TV, for anyone (even me) until 4pm. (DH has his own office/ floor in the house so he does what he wants.) Bedtime for the younger kids is 7pm (with lights out at 9) so that's 3 hours a day max they can watch. My teens sometimes watch movies at night but I'm very strict about the not-before-4pm rule. Weekends are typically a free for all, I don't put limits on TV. When the younger ones are awake and within view, though, it has to be G rated. I hope this helps!

(Meant to add, the above was a compromise to getting rid of it entirely, which DH refuses to do.)

This is like us, except it's 5pm here and we have the caveat of allowing educational shows on before that. We're watching an episode of Engineering An Empire tomorrow and I'm good with having the tv on in the middle of the afternoon for it.

When we made the rule The Kid balked but now he's heard my pat answer so many times he's actually following it: "We want you to have the time to explore different interests and you can't do that if you're vegging out".

TBH, the tv rarely comes on in the evening, either, now. It's the custom here to take a rest period in the afternoon so we follow suit most days and then build up our activity again in the early evening.

OK, I probably should have said in the first place that there is no way my husband would go for getting rid of it. :)

This does help.

If you can't go cold turkey or throw it out, make a couple of rules.

1. The TV is not allowed to be turned on until after x o'clock. At our house, that is 6.

2. The TV is not allowed to be in a main living area of the house.

3. The TV is not allowed to be on during a meal or when we have company (except that we do make exceptions on this one when we have multi-age kid groups over. We let the littles watch Looney Toons).

Good rules. When we lived in a larger house, the TV was in the family room in the basement. Well, the kids didn't like to be in the spider-infested basement by themselves, so they didn't watch much. Now we live in a tiny house, and the only place the TV *can* be is in the living room.

"We want you to have the time to explore different interests and you can't do that if you're vegging out".

I may steal your answer if you don't mind.

I once had a friend tell me that her dad would unplug the tv every summer. Thought it was a great idea and ran with it! Unplugged at the end of May and have not had it on since, not for movies or anything. Even put Netflix on hold. And we are a family who watched it ALL the time every day. I, myself, love television!! I am amazed how much fun we have had as a family since turning it off! I thought it would a more difficult adjustment, but it has been surprisingly easy. Plan to allow it again after Labor Day but we shall see. Definitely will be limiting it more if so.

Something that will help to set you up for success is to plan an activity for after dinner. In the summer, we take a walk after dinner until dark, or the kids jump on the trampoline until the mosquitoes come out. In the winter, we play board games after dinner.

In the morning there is no tv until the school work is done. On hot days, I let the kids watch shows from itunes or nteflix in the afternoon, but otherwise they have to go outside to play after school work before any tv viewing.

This cuts down on the tv watching in our family.

I have some friends who only allow the TV on when it is dark outside. Again, it cuts down on the questioning. Can I watch tv? Look outside and there is your answer.

Neat idea.

I also unplug the TV and tell the kids it's broken.

I am certain that my kids would investigate a broken TV and discover that it was simply unplugged. ;)

I would say that it doesn't come on before a certain time or after a certain time. Additionally, you might pick a time limit.

We turn our tv on for the first time (most days) at 4pm. It goes off as soon as that show ends (no commercials seen before, during or after). It can be turned back on later if the adults decide so. There is usually a choice of show at that point though we do tend towards the channel with no commercials for products. So some days, they watch 2 shows. They know not to badger us for the 2nd show though. The first show is rarely missed if we are home.

Anyway, these are children who were sat in front of tv as a way to control them. They completely zone out regardless of what is on. They will watch anything, but they tend to try to demand "their shows." They would watch tv from dawn to midnight if given the choice. It just isn't. They struggled at first and we had a LOT more behaviors as they got "bored." But they eventually got used to it. Yours will too.

Easy! Sell it! We did for one year when our son seemed waaaay too interested in it. It worked. :)

My kids need to ask permission before they watch, and we rarely allow television during the week during the school year, except for movie night with Dad or if someone is sick. Weekends, they get a total of 2 hours screen time each day (computer games or television).

My suggestion is to unplug it.

I am certain that my kids would investigate a broken TV and discover that it was simply unplugged. ;)

We have no tv channels, haven't for several years.

But how we watch movies can be so complicated it's just easier to go to the neighbors house to watch tv. :tongue_smilie:

We got our current tv from the side of the street, someone was throwing it out, so no remote. That means to switch between the video options we have to use the five buttons on the front of the tv (menu, channel up and down, volume up and down)

We have three different things to plug into the tv. The gaming system that let's us play dance dance revolution, the DVD player, and something that looks like a black box with no buttons. It let's us watch tv shows we have on out computer server in the basement.

Before watching anything you usually have to rewire the thing you are using (DVD player, black box) to the tv. Redo the menu system. Unplug the other in the room. Plug in the tv.

Oh, and for one of our things if you start fastfowrading or rewinding your show you can't stop it. And have to turn everything off and start over.

So we don't watch much, to complicated. And my kids wouldn't know how to turn on a show if they wanted to.

How far do you want to go? If you are game, just get rid of it. Use the cable money for something fun the family can enjoy. You can still watch movies and important news events on your computer. we love being tv-free. We watch the occasional movie when we choose to. movies are a special treat here, and that works fine.

I'm not all that great at setting and keeping limits, so not having one in the house is best for us.

as others have posted, you might want to institute a big change like this during a busy, happy time. You family will adjust quicker than you think.

Edited by yellowperch

(right now we are enthralled with Barbara Leonie Picard's Iliad and Odyssey.)

Oh...this sounds good (sorry for the hijack)--my sons loved MPO's The Odyssey and I've been looking for something I can read aloud to them. Off to search Amazon!

Just slip out the back jack

Make a new plan Stan

No need to be coy Roy

Just get yourself free :D

There's fifty ways to leave your TV

As for us, we moved the TV in the basement. Out of sight. Get a small Tv, put it in a cupboard. Whoever wants to watch the tv has to drag it out to the living room, do the cabling, and return the tv to the cupboard once done.

Edited by CleoQc

sounds like you like the white noise.

Turn on a radio and keep it down.

We have our local classical station on much of the day. The volume varies. We sometimes bet on who the composer will be. Kiddo has gotten pretty good with picking out the greats, and the eras, too. (And he doesn't even know he gets school credit for it.)

www.tvallowance.com is great for this.

But I didn't spend the $99 on it.

What I did was go to Ace Hardware and buy a chain and and a lock. I close the entertainment center doors andran the chain through the handles on each door and applied the lock. I have to enter a code to unlock it. It makes it (opening the doors/turning it on) more deliberate/less automatic, so it has made me more careful. I only allow 45 minutes a day Mon thru Friday and 2 hours on either Saturday or Sunday (to allow for a movie choice). It's worked well here.

We have our local classical station on much of the day. The volume varies. We sometimes bet on who the composer will be. Kiddo has gotten pretty good with picking out the greats, and the eras, too. (And he doesn't even know he gets school credit for it.)

You give credit? :001_huh: Really?

I never give credit.

Huh, maybe I should be.

You give credit? :001_huh: Really?

I never give credit.

I have a time method. I added up all the time in WTM for each year and we cover it in a year. Music, for our age, is 36 hours a year. We do it easily. For simple things like art and music, I have 36 circles, and I color in the time we do.

I have a time method. I added up all the time in WTM for each year and we cover it in a year. Music, for our age, is 36 hours a year. We do it easily. For simple things like art and music, I have 36 circles, and I color in the time we do.

Man, now I feel bad. I've not been giving them credit. I'll start. Sounds like a good plan you have.

I find cold turkey works the best. I frequently unplug my kids from all electronics. It does wonders for their attitudes.

I am fairly strict with the tv during the school year. No tv before 5 pm on school days.

That's what we've found as well. Even with a small amount of daily screen time, we have behavior issues- surliness, fighting, boredom, whining. So we turned it off. They might watch a movie while we eat pizza on Friday nights, or we might not. I might have a documentary on the computer while I'm cleaning up the kitchen that they watch a bit, but that's rare.

They play Wii at the Y, we have no video games here, except Leapsters they lose (misplace,'forget about) for months at a time.

TV doesn't go on until they're in bed. They go to be at 8. When we first banned it, my husband would turn it on the moment they went upstairs. Now, sometimes, it's after 10 before we put it on. Of course, there are exceptions. If there is illness in the house, they may lay around dozing in front of a movie. My kids are rarely sick, though. There was one cold (which I brought home from a lovely, sharing coworker), and one stomach bug (which I escaped) in the past year and a half. So if they're sick it's a Big Deal. ;)

Sorry, can't edit,I'm on my phone.

I was watching the Duggars season available on Netflix a couple weeks ago and there was a little caption about how they are very restrictive about tv; the kids only watch about 7 hours / week! My kids don't rack up 7 hours a month. One area where *I* am more conservative than the Duggars! :D

Don't want to hijack, but what about if your DH refuses to turn it off?? My DH will NOT get rid of the tv. We have been without cable for 3 years, but he must ALWAYS have it on! He works second shift, so the "after 4PM thing" wouldn't work here. He is home in the mornings, and our house is too small for the tv to be anywhere but the living room. :glare:

Don't want to hijack, but what about if your DH refuses to turn it off?? My DH will NOT get rid of the tv. We have been without cable for 3 years, but he must ALWAYS have it on! He works second shift, so the "after 4PM thing" wouldn't work here. He is home in the mornings, and our house is too small for the tv to be anywhere but the living room. :glare:

My dh was a hard nut to crack on this one. It took numerous conversations about the benefits and how it would help me. He likes the background noise. He stays in our room and watches on the computer if he really needs a fix.

Turn it off. :) I know, easier said than done right? After the first day of whining for it, kids will *always* find something else to occupy their time. I promise! :)

:iagree: Another good bet is to eliminate cable or satellite service and go back to rabbit ears (or whatever was introduced to replace them a few years ago). Not only will there be almost nothing to watch, but the reception -- if any -- will be too poor to make watching the set worthwhile.

Block all TV and TV-type websites on your computer, if that becomes a substitute measure for family members.

Build an extensive and varied home library of DVDs, with titles worth watching more than once.

:iagree: Another good bet is to eliminate cable or satellite service and go back to rabbit ears (or whatever was introduced to replace them a few years ago). Not only will there be almost nothing to watch, but the reception -- if any -- will be too poor to make watching the set worthwhile.

This isn't necessarily true. We don't have cable or satellite and we have the converter boxes(replacement for the rabbit ears). We still get all the main stations- ABC, CBS, NBS, FOX We also get 3 PBS channels, the CW and a few other random channels. Unless it is storming, we don't have much problem with reception either...comes in as clear as cable.

My dh was a hard nut to crack on this one. It took numerous conversations about the benefits and how it would help me. He likes the background noise. He stays in our room and watches on the computer if he really needs a fix.

We have conversated and conversated...nothing. He just says, "I like tv." :glare:

We have conversated and conversated...nothing. He just says, "I like tv." :glare:

I feel your pain! If it's not TV, it's video games. Oh well. I'll just have to institute a rule that says no TV when dad's not home. :lol:

I have some friends who only allow the TV on when it is dark outside. Again, it cuts down on the questioning. Can I watch tv? Look outside and there is your answer.

Lol, that wouldn't work in Alaska! "Hey mom, it's still winter, so the TV stays on, right?"

Since I live in a very small house with a husband who would never go for no TV at all, I'm going to get an entertainment center with closing doors on the front. Hopefully, out of sight will mean out of mind, in combination with firm boundaries. A variation of this (that I thought of doing until I save up for the piece of furniture) would be to mount the TV to the wall, assuming it's flatscreen, and hang curtains in front of it. I also want to get a DVR so we don't have to waste time & brain cells on commercials. Finally, I've started getting the Sunday paper which includes a programming schedule. We don't have cable, so that narrows it down a lot. Each child is given a set daily & weekly total limit and can highlight shows they'd like to watch. When you plan it out like that, it's easier to think of it as a scheduled thing to do, which has an end time, rather than vegging in front of it no matter what's on. It's not perfect (which in my world would be no TV; just watch on a computer), but it's better than it used to be around here.

This isn't necessarily true. We don't have cable or satellite and we have the converter boxes(replacement for the rabbit ears). We still get all the main stations- ABC, CBS, NBS, FOX We also get 3 PBS channels, the CW and a few other random channels. Unless it is storming, we don't have much problem with reception either...comes in as clear as cable.

With the occasional exception of PBS, that is what I meant by "nothing to watch" ! :D

Interested in how you do this. I would not think it "credit" unless my child were consciously listening to the piece of music, noticing the various instruments, themes and subthemes, period and style, etc. Just having a radio on while we do other things makes the music "background sound", so you probably don't mean that. Love to hear more!