Menu

If you were trying to get your dh to stop drinking coffee...

...what would you do? Without sounding like bashing lol, I am at my wits end. I feel like the caffeine police. Dh and I have enjoyed coffee since we were first married (thanks to the person who gifted us with a coffee maker. ;) ) Unfortunately it is affecting his health. Dh is battling high blood pressure, and when I told him that after we returned from our recent vacation, I was going to insist that the coffee be GONE from here (Yes, I would give it up, too), he really got aggravated. Then he went to the internet and found some stupid article about coffee drinking not contributing to high blood pressure. :glare: When I tried limiting him to one cup in the morning, he made excuses for why he needed more...headache, too little sleep, hard day ahead, etc. When I tried being sneaky by replacing half the regular coffee with decaf, he actually noticed and complained that it 'wasn't strong enough' and went to brew a better pot. He promises he does not drink coffee at work, though. This morning wasn't typical, but becoming more so. He insisted on having a second cup on an empty stomach, and while getting ready to leave for work, he couldn't find his office keys. He started huffing and pawing through drawers and the folded laundry, literally growled and finally grabbed his computer and lunch and *slammed* the door without even saying goodbye. I know the girls all heard that little performance, too. I imagine an apology email will be coming momentarily. ;) I realize it's the coffee because he is usually so nice and easy going, but he doesn't see my point at all. I don't want him to have another stomach ulcer or a stroke. I love him, but have completely run out of ideas to help him stop his habit.

Unless his doctor has ordered him to stop drinking it, then I would leave it alone. He's an adult and can make these decisions for himself.

Quit drinking like you said you would, and then encourage him when he drinks less than normal. Always being on his case won't help and will make episodes like the one this morning happen more often because now he will be cranky about the coffee AND cranky about being policed by his wife.

:grouphug: - It's hard to want to help your husband and him not want to be helped.

Yes, I agree, but his actions are affecting my health.

Gently said: The caffeine is a symptom, not necessarily a problem. Perhaps you and your dh can manage a short spell somewhere for "R&R", and talk about whatever assorted life issues are rumbling. :grouphug:

He does have to make the decision himself.

However, I have found the decaf is naturally weaker than regular. So, when I want decaf, I have to use a lot more coffee to make it taste "normal."

And he doesn't have to go right to half and half. He could put in two scoops of decaf and one less of regular for a week, then four scoops, etc.

Does he always drink it straight? Or would something like a latte cover the flavor change better?

Maybe try to mix the regular and decaf less than 1/2 and 1/2. Just a 1/2 cup in the whole bag and slowly make it so there is more and more.

I don't know. I know I go from regular coffee to black tea to green tea and then off entirely. But that's me doing it myself.

I'm not really sure how you would get someone else off caffeine. Especially since he could just start drinking more at work anyway.

I get it! Really, I do! And, I understand how his not choosing the healthiest option is affecting your health. My dh is a large guy. I've been through the gamut with him - nagging, nagging, lecturing, being supportive when he makes good decisions, etc, etc, etc. I've finally given up! I'm done. And, you know what? Leaving that stress behind has been the best thing for ME. My blood pressure is no longer up when I see him choosing not to exercise or eat well.

:grouphug: You're going through this because you care SO much.

I am an avid exerciser. My dh started asking me questions about my workouts one day and admitted that he just didn't think he could do it and was embarrassed about it. The boys and I started encouraging him to try (gently). He is now working out regularly! He ran a half marathon last January (he was/is still large). I'm happy he's trying to make changes. I don't know if that helps, but it's been my experience.

Well, I am a nervous wreck this morning, darn it, and I woke up happy and ready for a nice peaceful morning. Honestly I do have mixed feelings about just letting him decide what he wants to do. My dad was a diabetic, but insisted on enjoying cokes and candy. My mom just turned aside with a sigh and told me that ' he was an adult and could make up his own mind'. Maybe, but dad died with complications from diabetes. So I am trying to be helpful...I'm not a shrew. :D It's really just this one issue that is making everybody sad. I did stop drinking my afternoon cup for my own blood pressure's sake, and told him so. That didn't seem to help.

ETA: I have been doing P90 every morning since January, and just recently he has asked to join me, so that's good for his BP. But his *outbursts* are always after he drinks coffee on an empty stomach.

Edited by Blueridge

My dad was a diabetic, but insisted on enjoying cokes and candy. My mom just turned aside with a sigh and told me that ' he was an adult and could make up his own mind'. Maybe, but dad died with complications from diabetes.

I'm sorry that you had to experience this but your mom was not responsible here.

:grouphug::grouphug:

He is an adult and has to make his own decisions with regard to his health.

:iagree: And I agree with Snickerdoodle. You are only responsible for *your* health, and, while they are children, for your child's. You can't be responsible for another adult's health choices. You'll drive yourself mad trying to be.

Dh is battling high blood pressure, and when I told him that after we returned from our recent vacation, I was going to insist that the coffee be GONE from here (Yes, I would give it up, too), he really got aggravated.

Honestly, I would be really aggravated as well. I know you're doing this out of a place of love, but suggesting he cut down on coffee, or asking his opinion, might have worked out better. Now that you've told him to cut down on caffeine, and then tried to trick him into doing so, he may well be determined not to accomodate.

He's a grown man who has to make his own health decisions. And this is indeed a debatable one; a cup or two of coffee in the morning is not comparable to smoking, for example.

And I don't get why you think his crankiness was due to coffee, if he has been drinking it for years??

I'd say you need to let this go. The disagreement over the coffee is worse than the coffee itself.

I'm sorry that you had to experience this but your mom was not responsible here.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I wish. You don't know mom...she bought snickers by the case and then wondered why dad wouldn't stay out of them. I love her anyway. :)

ETA: I have been doing P90 every morning since January, and just recently he has asked to join me, so that's good for his BP. But his *outbursts* are always after he drinks coffee on an empty stomach.

Can you keep a box of breakfast bars for rushed mornings so he doesn't drink coffee on an empty stomach? Or encourage him to eat something first thing in the morning so you don't have an outburst?

While I completely agree that decisions we make about our bodies are no longer just our own when we've become a family (sorry - I know I'm not in the mainstream on this...good thing DH and I are in complete agreement on this for our family), YOU cannot make him stop.

You can stop making his coffee for him and making it purely his thing. You can encourage him to begin trying to back off. But it can be an addiction, the same as smoking. Nagging him and being on his case all the time can make him fight against you, and create strife in your marriage that does not need to be there.

Gently encourage, do not enable, and let him be his own man.

I agree that caffeine is not a trigger for blood pressure, and if his dr. did not suggest it, then let it be.

And I don't get why you think his crankiness was due to coffee, if he has been drinking it for years??

I'd say you need to let this go. The disagreement over the coffee is worse than the coffee itself.

Well, as we've gotten older, some things are a little harder to assimilate lol.Maybe our taste buds are more dull so he makes the pot stronger?? I'm just so sad to see him get all flustered and furious over something as small as replaceable keys. It's always something small, but I end up with a headache and having to explain to the girls about daddy's blood pressure being a little out of whack again. :tongue_smilie: I'm the peacemaker, which stinks sometimes...

Some people with ADHD function better with caffeine. Take it away from them, and they are miserable and cannot function. Our doctor told us that a lot of adults self-medicate with caffeine, and they have no clue that they are ADHD. I am one of those people. I was diagnosed with it just after my 40th.

Perhaps your husband is undiagnosed ADHD and you forcing him to take away his caffeine is making him miserable.

Just suggesting another way to look at things.

I wish. You don't know mom...she bought snickers by the case and then wondered why dad wouldn't stay out of them. I love her anyway. :)

There is the difference. You should not disallow coffee, but if you really feel it is an issue you can refuse to support it. I don't like my husband using fake sweetener in his cofee, mostly because he uses WAY too much. Like, 4 packets in one cup. He agrees that it is bad, but will use it if it is there. So I stopped buying it. oops...all out. He can certainly stop on his way to or from work and pick some up if he wants, and I won't say a word. But I'm not going to buy it for him. It's up to him to poison himself. Also, though, he agrees with me it is bad for him. If he didn't he wouldn't go along with this plan I'm sure.

If he tends to get mean after drinking it, and I'm really not sure I buy that it is the coffee..but if that is the issue then you need to gently say listen, I'm sorry I've been so controlling. Your coffee drinking is your issue. But when you get snappy and rude to me after drinking it it really upsets me. Can you please try to be less cranky in the morning, and I'll stop nagging you about coffee?

That is how I would approach it. I think fighting with you about coffee is way worse for his blood pressure than the caffeine anyway.

I don't think the crankiness has much to do w/caffeine, but rather being treated like a child. Sorry, Hon, but that would drive me over the edge, esp first thing in the am.

I'm sorry about your Dad too...but even though your mom bought Snickers by the box, it was still his choice to eat them.

...If he tends to get mean after drinking it, and I'm really not sure I buy that it is the coffee..but if that is the issue then you need to gently say listen, I'm sorry I've been so controlling. Your coffee drinking is your issue. But when you get snappy and rude to me after drinking it it really upsets me. Can you please try to be less cranky in the morning, and I'll stop nagging you about coffee?

That is how I would approach it. I think fighting with you about coffee is way worse for his blood pressure than the caffeine anyway.

Very positive. I like it. I'm starting today with a more patient spirit. I'll try the Gandhi approach! I wonder how *I* will be without my humble morning cup. :nopity: I will let him make his own decision. Everyone, you are gems. Many thanks!

A) He's an adult - all you will do is damage your relationship. He can decide for himself

B) The study re:caffeine and blood pressure - it has been proven correct (as of now - these things change all the time)

C) They (medical establishment) are now saying that coffee is actually a heart-healthy drink.

Try going half and half with a very high quality decaf. That works well here. Otherwise, I think you have to let him make his own choices. My husband has highish BP too, and on his own has weaned his caff coffee consumption way down over the last year. But it had to be on his own. I did start bringing really good decaf in the house though - I think that makes a difference for sure.

Our favorite coffees are Peace Coffee and Dunn Brothers.

Edited by kck

Just read your updates. I think your grief and anger over your dad's death is definitely amping up the emotion here. You aren't seeing things clearly, imo. Someone with high blood pressure drinking a cup of coffee regularly is a far cry from a diabetic eating Snickers regularly.

It's scary when someone we love has a health problem, and fear can make us unreasonable. Your emotions are saying, Dad died because Mom let him eat Snickers bars. If I can just keep dh from drinking coffee, he won't die. You have to try and acknowledge that the two situations aren't the same, and that, even if they were, you can't make dh's decisions for him or keep him from dying. Talk about it to a trusted friend or counselor if you haven't done so.

:grouphug:

... He insisted on having a second cup on an empty stomach, and while getting ready to leave for work, he couldn't find his office keys. He started huffing and pawing through drawers and the folded laundry, literally growled and finally grabbed his computer and lunch and *slammed* the door without even saying goodbye.

Sounds like me on too much caffeine...

I think you should talk to him about his behavior on too much caffeine and no food. That's what got me to slow down.

If you expect an e-mail apology later today, he's aware of the problem. Reply to his e-mail asking if the two of you can discuss possible solutions when he gets home. Discuss ways to reduce the impact, not necessarily cutting out all caffeine right now (or ever).

Examples- make sure you eat in the morning. No caffeine after Noon (really affects sleep.) Make sure he's getting enough sleep.

And there are really good decafs out there- I use Starbuck's or Peet's from the grocery store. Brew it strong.

I'm down to 1/4 caffeinated right now. I'll go back up in the winter when I'm waking up in the dark, but I'll get down again in the summer.

Maybe the crabbiness is due to the empty stomach and needing to eat. Add in the morning stress of arguing over coffee and you have a crabby individual.

It might be low blood sugar. I eat low carb and sometimes I really NEED to eat. It makes me cranky until I eat something. Maybe have some protein rich foods that he likes ready that he can grab quickly to have with his coffee.

...what would you do? Without sounding like bashing lol, I am at my wits end. I feel like the caffeine police. Dh and I have enjoyed coffee since we were first married (thanks to the person who gifted us with a coffee maker. ;) ) Unfortunately it is affecting his health. Dh is battling high blood pressure, and when I told him that after we returned from our recent vacation, I was going to insist that the coffee be GONE from here (Yes, I would give it up, too), he really got aggravated. Then he went to the internet and found some stupid article about coffee drinking not contributing to high blood pressure. :glare: When I tried limiting him to one cup in the morning, he made excuses for why he needed more...headache, too little sleep, hard day ahead, etc. When I tried being sneaky by replacing half the regular coffee with decaf, he actually noticed and complained that it 'wasn't strong enough' and went to brew a better pot. He promises he does not drink coffee at work, though. This morning wasn't typical, but becoming more so. He insisted on having a second cup on an empty stomach, and while getting ready to leave for work, he couldn't find his office keys. He started huffing and pawing through drawers and the folded laundry, literally growled and finally grabbed his computer and lunch and *slammed* the door without even saying goodbye. I know the girls all heard that little performance, too. I imagine an apology email will be coming momentarily. ;) I realize it's the coffee because he is usually so nice and easy going, but he doesn't see my point at all. I don't want him to have another stomach ulcer or a stroke. I love him, but have completely run out of ideas to help him stop his habit.

Well, first he's right - coffee doesn't contribute to high blood pressure. I'm pretty sure about this one as I tried to use it on my DH to get him to quit when I had to give up coffee temporarily. :D (So, so, so wrong, yes I know. But if I had to suffer... Well, misery loves company.)

Second, truly, you do not want to parent your DH. In order to do this, you'd have to have him want to be treated as a child. That never goes well.

And finally, is this the hill you want to die on? I'm thinking the price you're paying (with DH being so upset) is truly not worth it.

Maybe he'd consider switching to half caff? (Buy a pound of each and mix them.)

Just read your updates. I think your grief and anger over your dad's death is definitely amping up the emotion here. You aren't seeing things clearly, imo. Someone with high blood pressure drinking a cup of coffee regularly is a far cry from a diabetic eating Snickers regularly.

It's scary when someone we love has a health problem, and fear can make us unreasonable. Your emotions are saying, Dad died because Mom let him eat Snickers bars. If I can just keep dh from drinking coffee, he won't die. You have to try and acknowledge that the two situations aren't the same, and that, even if they were, you can't make dh's decisions for him or keep him from dying. Talk about it to a trusted friend or counselor if you haven't done so.

:grouphug:

Thank you. I see what you're saying, and honestly you may be completely right. Maybe I am feeling guilty about dad, because I used to kid him and smile about his 'being a stinker' eating his candy, but I never really did anything. Like I was a bad daughter. Now I feel like a bad wife. Thanks for your insight.

Well, as we've gotten older, some things are a little harder to assimilate lol.Maybe our taste buds are more dull so he makes the pot stronger?? I'm just so sad to see him get all flustered and furious over something as small as replaceable keys. It's always something small, but I end up with a headache and having to explain to the girls about daddy's blood pressure being a little out of whack again. :tongue_smilie: I'm the peacemaker, which stinks sometimes...

Are you saying that his bp being high is causing the anger or the caffeine? Actually if you would do a bit of research you'll find that people with high bp are not emotionally imbalanced and angry. You'll also find that caffeine does not effect bp. (at least not to the extent you seem to think it does.) Truth be told, unless one has a predisposition for salt problems, salt is not a problem with those with high bp as once thought.

Spend a bit of time sorting fact from fiction. Arm yourself with accurate research, apologize for telling him, a grown man, what he can or cannot do, and do what you can to help him exercise daily along with getting/keeping his weight under control. You'll both be happier for it.

I get it! Really, I do! And, I understand how his not choosing the healthiest option is affecting your health. My dh is a large guy. I've been through the gamut with him - nagging, nagging, lecturing, being supportive when he makes good decisions, etc, etc, etc. I've finally given up! I'm done. And, you know what? Leaving that stress behind has been the best thing for ME. My blood pressure is no longer up when I see him choosing not to exercise or eat well.

:grouphug: You're going through this because you care SO much.

I've been trying for years to get dh to eat better and exercise more. He has high blood pressure, high triglycerides and high blood sugar. He's on medications for all of those issues. I'm convinced he also has sleep apnea, and I've been nagging him on and off for 9 years to get a sleep study.

I can't really force him to change. So, I've just concentrated on my own health and teaching the kids healthy life habits. Dh continues to eat cold cuts, white bread, iceberg lettuce, frozen peas, and an assortment of other meat and potato products. And that's all he would eat on his own. He will occasionally eat quinoa, a salad with greens, carrots and celery, and fruit if I present it at a meal.

I know you care and you want your dh to have a long and healthy life, but you will drive yourself crazy trying to do it for him.

Pray. I wanted my dh to stop dipping. I nagged and prodded, annoyed him, etc. I finally left him alone and started praying that he would quit. He did. It has been several years, but God did the work that I couldn't possibly do!!! Shutting up, praying, not condoning but also not nagging, can do wonders!

Are you saying that his bp being high is causing the anger or the caffeine? Actually if you would do a bit of research you'll find that people with high bp are not emotionally imbalanced and angry. You'll also find that caffeine does not effect bp. (at least not to the extent you seem to think it does.) Truth be told, unless one has a predisposition for salt problems, salt is not a problem with those with high bp as once thought.

Spend a bit of time sorting fact from fiction. Arm yourself with accurate research, apologize for telling him, a grown man, what he can or cannot do, and do what you can to help him exercise daily along with getting/keeping his weight under control. You'll both be happier for it.

Yup, funny, we were just talking about this yesterday, it's sugar... that is thought to be the problem now.

Telling us about your parents is very useful insight to this problem.

Good luck with the relaxed approach. It can be hard, but you can do it! :001_smile:

As someone else mentioned, you don't have to make coffee for him. You don't have to buy it (if you decide it's worth the fight).

My father is also diabetic and drinks soda, almost exclusively. I don't call him out or nag if we are out to eat and he orders one. However, if I'm at his house and he asks me to grab one from the fridge...I say no, but I'd be happy to get him a glass of water, milk, etc. You know what? I'm the only one who can ever really reach him. (my mom nags, treats him like a kid, "fines" him, etc.)

I also think that the coffee is probably a MUCH smaller problem than candy for a diabetic.

Okay, I'll start with the fact that I quit coffee a year ago and I feel GREAT. That said, I would have been really ticked off if my husband was constantly nagging me about my drinking coffee. I easily drank 4 espressos a day and it did make me feel jittery and irritable but without it I literally felt TERRIBLE (headaches, irritable, etc.). Having a spouse nag me about it would have made it even worse. Be supportive IF AND WHEN he decides to quit or cut back, but don't be his parent in the meantime.

:iagree: The coffee hitting an empty stomach could also be contributing to the grouchiness.

Imo, fwiw...I'd be in the hands off...you take care of your own coffee purchases, brewing and intake. However, I'd prepare a nice breakfast he would eat with juice;).

I would think the morning grouch has more to do with low blood sugar.

Complex carb and a good protein ought to take care of that.