Menu

How much do you spend on Curriculum per child, per year? Roughly?

fourcatmom

I just finished adding all my curriculum into wishlists on either Amazon or Rainbow Resource and so far I have

202.99 w/amazon

838.00 w/rainbow resource

140.00 w/right start math

170.00 teaching textbooks

That seems like a lot for 2 kids? However, I do like to order everything that is included, so I get TE, workbooks, etc and I even included a zoology kit and that was pricey. There were additional items that I wanted on amazon that were not available, so I will have to hunt them down elsewhere. I still want to add music lessons, horseback riding and singing to the school budget...so I am already near running out of money and I haven't even bought anything yet! :001_huh:

The girls are going into 4th and 5th.

We have spent anywhere from $500 to $1000, one kid. The early years were filled with hands on supplements because he needed to be able to touch and play with things to truly get some of the concepts. Now in middle school science kits and books seem to be more expensive!

I look at it this way - public schools spend an average of $6000 per kid to educate them, and that usually includes substandard textbooks and no basic classroom supplies. In comparison, $500-$1000 doesn't seem too bad, especially for higher quality and more complete curricula. Or maybe we just manage our budget better than the government does! :lol:

I've made my list and it's looking like about $200 each for the 1st grader and 3rd grader for a full year of curricula. Of course, I'll continue adding on more art supplies, some music stuff, read-alouds, and so on. But, what I have on my list *right now* would be plenty. I could stop there and we'd be fine.

Another thought... we're entering our third year homeschooling and I find myself really paring back on what I order. I have stacks of Really Cool Stuff that never (or rarely) got used. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars wasted. I feel much happier with our plans to keep things more streamlined this year.

My DH just asked me last night what the homeschool budget needed to be, since I'd just bought a few more things after I thought I was "done" purchasing. :lol:

I think my curriculum purchases were around $500 for two kids (2nd grade and preK/K), but that also includes buying the books for literature, buying some extra science books as reference, that sort of thing. Basically, I'm stocking the schoolroom since we're new.

Not sure what number to give my DH. He's fine with my purchases... just wants to know what the budget needs to be. I've kept track of curriculum, but not the random supply expenses (like buying an easel to hold my white board - yay, I can stand up and teach at the white board!).

If I were on a tight budget, I could certainly spend less than I did. I'd have used the library instead of buying the literature books, and I'd have not bought some of the extra science books, but I think $500 in a year for 2 kids isn't bad either, especially compared to the $5000/year I was going to pay for private school. I could homeschool a gaggle of kids for that amount! :D And I heard that the private school was going up to $5500 this coming year!

I know expenses will go up when we hit middle school and high school. I also have some extra expenses now because the kid is accelerated, so he tends to go through more than a year's worth of curriculum in a year. Thankfully, I already have some of what we'll need for next year. I'm stocked for history for the entire 4-year cycle, since DS is blowing through the SOTW books at rapid speed (read SOTW2 in 5 days), so I went ahead and got SOTW3 and 4 off Amazon. I already have the AGs because I picked them up used for a great price. I have our math spine, but would need the supplemental stuff (Singapore IPs/CWP), and I have English ready. I'll need to get science and more books for literature... So next year should be around $200. Should be. :tongue_smilie:

I have 500.00 budgeted for 3 kids and my online shopping carts after 3 rounds of paring down sit at about 550.00.

I've found that Christianbook.com has had better prices for me than rainbow resources even on math and other secular curricula if they carry it. They carry things for less than you can buy direct from the manufacturer for in most cases.

If you do want to save, I'd look in to christianbook.com and also buy any "big ticket" items on ebay or the boards. Large programs or expensive books can usually be found for less used or even unused but available from someone who didn't end up incorporating it into their homeschool year.

When they were younger (grammar stage), I usually spent less than $300 on both of them.

My most expensive year was when my daughter was doing high school. We spent about $800 on her that year, and it turned out to be a mistake. She ended up hating and not using the two very expensive distance education courses, and we replaced them with free or cheap alternatives that worked much better for her.

Next year, my son will be doing a full high school schedule for the first time. I am spending a little less than $250 (including having already gotten some things he may not end up using).

Edit: I meant to mention that I do not count things like music lessons in my curriculum total, since those are things we would be paying for even if the kids were in school.

So far I've spent about $400 for my 7 and 4 year old (mostly for the oldest, fewer things for the younger.) This is our first year homeschooling, I know that I will spend more as the year progresses, but that's what I've spent to get the basics set up plus a few extras.

Like many others, I am finding I spend less as the years go by. I am able to find more on used for sale posts, and even at local hs yard sales. Our budget is $600 per year for 2 kids, but I typically go over budget.

This year I spent:

$25 at WinterPromise

$30 at yard sales

$185 online used sales

$108 at Better World Books (mostly readers and history/geography stuff, actually about $40 of this is for future years)

$68 at Christian Book Distributors

$6 at Rainbow Resource

$56 at CurrClick

$12 at Homeschool Radio Shows

$29 at my local hs consignment shop

$75 at homeschoolbuyer's co-op online

Surprisingly, it looks like I stayed under budget this year. I did purchase some other things, but they are for next year so I'll apply them toward next year's budget.

Edited by SnowWhite

Yes, my list does way beyond what is "necessary" to cover the core subjects. I do realize that I like to have options but I want to leave room for stuff mid-year too when the long months hit and we are tired of the new stuff!

If I want something for mid-year, I buy it then. If I have it sitting around before then, it causes stress by calling to me. I can hear all those wasted dollars now, "Use me. You paid $xx for me, and it will go to waste." Oh, the stress those early purchases have caused!

I just finished adding all my curriculum into wishlists on either Amazon or Rainbow Resource and so far I have

202.99 w/amazon

838.00 w/rainbow resource

140.00 w/right start math

170.00 teaching textbooks

That seems like a lot for 2 kids? However, I do like to order everything that is included, so I get TE, workbooks, etc and I even included a zoology kit and that was pricey. There were additional items that I wanted on amazon that were not available, so I will have to hunt them down elsewhere. I still want to add music lessons, horseback riding and singing to the school budget...so I am already near running out of money and I haven't even bought anything yet! :001_huh:

The girls are going into 4th and 5th.

The above totals around $1350...I think that is fine for two kids your girls ages, especially if you are just starting with the method you are using...We spent about the same and I have three boys ages almost 5, almost 7, and almost 11...We switched from a different learning style, so I had to buy everything to start over...

That being said, our budget is $1500 for the year, so the boys cannot take any lessons and such...We would have to increase our budget for that to happen, or our curriculum expenseses need to become less as the boys start reusing things...I also share a car with my DH, so I don't have a car during the day to drive them to lessons at this point...Maybe one day soon I will get a car :auto:

For this year coming up, which includes all that is in my signature and the books to go with all of it and my subscription to teacherfilebox.com the total is $347.23.

I am very very happy with that. :D Honestly I thought I went way over that.

This is my first year homeschooling so I think the expenses will go down in subsequent years. We had a lot of needs (laminated maps, globe, art supplies, teaching supplies, manipulatives, atlas, etc) that we won't need to buy again. Plus, I buy almost exclusively non-consumable since we have 3 kids so far. I estimate that when DD3 does K, it will cost be about $50 to buy the phonics, math and handwriting workbooks. I also have purchased read alouds that I anticipate will last for more than one year. I would say that I have spent about $1500 this year, but I don't expect to ever spend this much again (until I have multiple kids in high school).

I thought I was going to do better this year. Ha. Last year was about $500 per child. This year, about the same and I really do want to get more. But it's for things I don't necessarily NEED but WANT. Also, I don't want to have to go to the library too much because I end up having to pay fines and have lost a few books as well. I want to have our books ALL here. Crazy maybe, but it's less running around. Lol.

Well, I am at about 700$ for the year. You all are making me feel a whole lot better about that. I have two kids, but almost all of that is for my older kid. it is in no way split evenly. I have been able to reuse every single thing I've bought so that makes me feel better.

it is the older kids math and science that is killing me. I have over 100$ in my cart at Home Science Tools. Those LOF books are expensive and we use them as a supplement. I am borrowing one from a friend so that helped a little bit. I also decided to use RSO earth and space with my younger child. That sort of seems stupid because he is the only one who is going to use it.

OTOH, I save a huge amount by borrowing lots of books from the library. My DH is a librarian at a university and as my son gets older almost every single books we need for history and lit are able to be borrowed. We can keep them for an entire year.

But still, 700$! It just seems unnecessary.

Well, I'm going to make you feel really frugal. I added it up last week and so far I've spent $1300 per kid for the 5th and 6th grader, and less on the 1st grader (I didn't add his up - ignorance is bliss). I will point out that I buy used when I can. There's still a geography curriculum that I want to purchase for $200, but I'm waiting to see if I can find it used. The majority of cost is for SL, homeschool band and an outside writing class. We pulled them out of private school, so I always tell my husband, "It's cheaper than their old school."

I don't think I've ever spent more than $500 a year on all the kids. I usually have a big order of about $300 at Rainbow and then other things here and there.

But...this year starts something totally new for me. We enrolled in a Homebased Educational Program through our school district. I get $1,500 to spend on my 7 year old and $2,000 for my 9th grader. Actually....they put the two together....meaning we have $3,500 to spend as a family. This is totally wild to me. I am still in shock over it. :willy_nilly:

This is a good question. I'm just starting out and I think I will spend about what the OP is going to spend. I think some of it is start-up costs (getting globes, some math manipulatives, etc). But I also wonder if by curriculum you are only referring to books and guides. I think of curriculum as everything used to engage them in learning, which includes outside classes or activities, hands-on materials, and field trips (which sometimes have entry fees and, at the very least, uses gas -- not that I'm keeping really close track of that).

To me that brings the cost of homeschooling up into a low $1000 figure. How do others count homeschooling costs?

- Alicia

We budget about 75$ per month. This lets me make a big purchase in spring for the following year (we spent about $700 for both kids--3rd and 1st) Then I whammy them with "Christmas" gifts from the Christmas budget, thereby saving my homeschool budget. (Science kits make great Christmas gifts, along with books, building sets and puzzles that *just happen* to have the human body on them...:D) I usually buy one or two more things from the budget through the year--a little fun extra, a "teacher" book for me, or magazine subscriptions, and of course field trips etc. Then it is spring again...

I don't count any fees for Scouts, music lessons or dance lessons, as we would do those even if the dc were in ps, but I would count outside art, or co-op fees, if I were involved in them.

I will spend about $500 each for a 2nd grader and a 1st grader. That includes curriculum, school supplies, and art supplies. I will also spend another $250 on museum memberships and magazine subscriptions, but I don't consider that homeschooling money since I would be paying for it even if they were in public school.

My goal is to keep it at or under $500 per year for all three children (a 7th grader and 2 4th graders). Money is tight, and I really can't spend much more than that. I tend to buy a lot used and make use of free resources whenever I can. Currently, I've spent about $150, and I still need to buy a few things, plus general school and art supplies that need to be replenished.

This is a good question. I'm just starting out and I think I will spend about what the OP is going to spend. I think some of it is start-up costs (getting globes' date=' some math manipulatives, etc). But I also wonder if by curriculum you are only referring to books and guides. I think of curriculum as everything used to engage them in learning, which includes outside classes or activities, hands-on materials, and field trips (which sometimes have entry fees and, at the very least, uses gas -- not that I'm keeping really close track of that).

To me that brings the cost of homeschooling up into a low $1000 figure. How do others count homeschooling costs?

- Alicia[/quote']

I guess curriculum to me is what I need to teach the core subjects and the subjects I want to teach, like spanish or latin. I am not really counting classes in that price but want to know that I have money to left to afford them. I am not counting things like globes, maps, paper, other then the math manipulatives that I feel is a total splurge right now. The rest is books, workbooks, TE, some kits and that's it.

Wow. I really don't know how you all have kept your costs down so much. I have spent too much, and I would say 80% of my purchases have been used :(.

I haven't kept good records of my spending, but I know it's been a lot. I bought Sonlight's Core 6 used, and that alone cost almost $300. The only big things I've bought new were handwriting (Catholic Heritage..about $30), math (Teaching Textbook 6 $150 and Horizons 2 Set maybe $50?), and English (R/S 3 and 5 about $70).

I don't think I've ever spent more than $500 a year on all the kids. I usually have a big order of about $300 at Rainbow and then other things here and there.

But...this year starts something totally new for me. We enrolled in a Homebased Educational Program through our school district. I get $1,500 to spend on my 7 year old and $2,000 for my 9th grader. Actually....they put the two together....meaning we have $3,500 to spend as a family. This is totally wild to me. I am still in shock over it. :willy_nilly:

Do you get to spend it on whatever you want?...Wow :drool:

$500-$1000 for my oldest.

Less than $500 for my next, who reuses a lot of what his brother had.

Less than $100 for my third, who is just pre-K now, mostly art supplies.

I'm slashing it pretty heavily this year though as we leave Sonlight and go to TWTM and the library. It is just too expensive, hard to combine and I have no place to store all those books. So budget this year is about $500 for oldest, maybe $200 for next and the same $100 for my third, again consumable art supplies and about 10 million glue sticks.

it is the older kids math and science that is killing me. I have over 100$ in my cart at Home Science Tools.

I hear you on the science. I want your cart. I just shelled out a little under $300 to Home Science Tools. Most of which was the cost of a microscope for the oldest. I have to keep reminding myself that I would spend about the same amount to put my oldest in our local coop science class. At least this way most of the supplies will be reuseable for the younger kids, so I'll save over the long run.

To OP, up until this year our budget has ranged from $300-$500. With our microscope purchase and our purchases relating to Omnibus for the oldest I'm estimating that we'll be around $1000 this year with my oldest going into 7th. Hopefully, we'll pare that back down for next year.

I don't have a budget per se, and I really don't track how much I spend. But I do have a general idea of what I'm spending for the vast majority of our actual curriculum for next year (only because I've ordered it all within the past few weeks, so I have the figures handy). I've spent a little over $1300 for my two kids (5th and 3rd next year) for next year. I will most certainly buy more supplemental things during the school year. And this doesn't account for all of the "extras". Our real expenses are the fees for homeschool co-op, art classes, music classes, dance classes, gymnastics classes, and horseback riding lessons and shows. I refuse to even add those things up. :glare:

I spend a little over $1000 per year, but that includes manipulatives, hands on activities for my todder, etc. I also know that I could cut out a lot by using the library and interlibrary loan, but I buy all my readers and read alouds for sanity sake! I just cannot get the the library for some reason ;)

Do you get to spend it on whatever you want?...Wow :drool:

Pretty much. I have a "facilitator" (if that's what you'd call her) who is giving suggestions and helping me decide. She works with me on what I want though. Really the only thing that isn't allowed is any science that is outright christian. But, you can have christian social studes. Go figure.

I think I spent around $600 this year for 2 kids (1st and pre-k) but it was mostly for the first grader. About $350 of it was lit/history books so I certainly could have gone less had I more thoroughly utilized the library, or then again I could have paid more with all the fines I would be guaranteed to have! :lol:

We budget about $1,000 per year right now, but that includes the annual convention we attend.

I think I have spent about $700 net now(subtracting what I sold from last year). Including things like craft items and snap circuits. I still think I want to buy some science kits and IEW poetry. It is hard to figure exact as I bought some things last year as well that he ended up being not ready for until this year. I am using free programs with dd4 but there are always books as well and even then I didn't order but the bare minimum suggested. I try to buy most everything used if possible as well, that way I can afford to buy more.

It was very expensive for us this year because we were setting up our school. I bought things like maps, a globe, history and world encyclopedias, an atlas, math manipulatives and all sorts of functional things like binders, 3 ring hole punch, laminator to help keep me organized.

I expect in the future to spend $300-$500 per year per child. I hope I really love our core choices so I can use them with our younger children and only have to buy student kits.

This year I spent a little over $250 for my K and 2nd grader. The past two years with my dd, I tried not to spend over $200. This is for books/shipping alone. I try to find things that both kids can use over the years, buy alot at used curriculum sales, buy some on ebay, and spend $150 to get free shipping at Rainbow Resource.

For the younger grades I spend almost nothing. I think I spent a total of $40 on replacing workbooks for SSRW and Horizons K.

Pretty much K-8 are minimal expenditures for me at this pt b/c I have taught them so many times that I already own most of what I need. High school is where I spend a lot of $$. Again, those costs go down the more times I teach it b/c eventually something will overlap from previous students (I never teach the same thing the same way twice so a lot of times things don't overlap.) But at this pt, I have built up an incredibly library of TC lectures and resources. So, most of my expenditures go to pay for tutoring or an outside teacher.

Our budget is about $720 for the year for everyone. We spend the most on our oldest, and then books are handed down.

I think homeschooling gets more expensive as you go on...I, atleast, am not able to pull together resources like I used to. I am too time crunched--I'd rather buy, open and go. :) That said, I did spend more in the early years of homeschooling until I found out what worked in our family.

I would love to spend more (and buy awesome science kits!), but I feel like we are doing better than public school still. They spend $11,000/year/student here; I'm spending about $350. Go figure. :)

Wow. I really don't know how you all have kept your costs down so much. I have spent too much, and I would say 80% of my purchases have been used :(.

I haven't kept good records of my spending, but I know it's been a lot. I bought Sonlight's Core 6 used, and that alone cost almost $300. The only big things I've bought new were handwriting (Catholic Heritage..about $30), math (Teaching Textbook 6 $150 and Horizons 2 Set maybe $50?), and English (R/S 3 and 5 about $70).

I am re-using our WinterPromise Amer Story 1 next year and re-using WP World Around Me and readers, LA manual, etc. Most of our core programs are from prior years. That is the only way I kept it under $1000 or more.

Some years are more than others (this is a BIG year, but next year won't be quite so much).

I have spent about $3,000 on 4 children this year, not including some on-line classes.

Next year, I will be spending about half that, not including on-line classes for 4 children...mainly because I already have most of the materials. If I can find them like new (or gently used for less), I may spend even less.

This will be our first year homeschooling. We have 4 children, ages 10,8,7, and almost 1. We are combining the older 2 using BHFHG + extensions, and LHFHG for my 7 year old. I've shopped around to get the best deals, since we are on a tight budget. I've found several of the books we are going to be using are available at the library, so that cut some of my costs. I have already purchased some of the items for LHFHG and spent $65, and have the rest of the items reserved in carts on amazon, rainbow resource, and HOD, and my total comes out to be roughly $325 (including the $65 already spent). This does not include supplies like paper, art supplies, etc.

Next year, I will get the next level up for my older 2, and my younger, and then after that, I'll only be needing the curriculums for the olders since I will re-use what they have outgrown for my younger ones. :)

Whooops, I just remembered two other WP items, totally $48. Guess I am scraping the top of my budget after all, even with re-using.

Like many others, I am finding I spend less as the years go by. I am able to find more on used for sale posts, and even at local hs yard sales. Our budget is $600 per year for 2 kids, but I typically go over budget.

This year I spent:

$25 at WinterPromise

$30 at yard sales

$185 online used sales

$108 at Better World Books (mostly readers and history/geography stuff, actually about $40 of this is for future years)

$68 at Christian Book Distributors

$6 at Rainbow Resource

$56 at CurrClick

$12 at Homeschool Radio Shows

$29 at my local hs consignment shop

$75 at homeschoolbuyer's co-op online

Surprisingly, it looks like I stayed under budget this year. I did purchase some other things, but they are for next year so I'll apply them toward next year's budget.

I spent about $300 on curriculum for my oldest, less on the other 2 (closer to $200 ea.). It's difficult to get an accurate number since I tend to buy school related things throughout the year. This doesn't include IEW since I'll be using it at co-op and others are helping cover the cost of the DVDs. It also doesn't include science lab materials since I haven't finalized that order.

Probably the primary way I keep our costs down is not paying to have someone else plan for me. In other words, I don't buy programs like Sonlight, even used. Instead, I do research and decide which books and materials I want my kids to use and then work on acquiring those as inexpensively as possible.

I also remain flexible about what I'm willing to use. For any given historical period or subject, there are many, many good books to read. I put them all on my wishlists at PaperbackSwap and Bookmooch and just wait to see which ones I can get that way. Counting the postage for books I send out as the "cost" of these books, I average about $2.50 each.

I also keep lists of subjects and book titles in my purse. That way, when I'm out and about at thrift stores and used bookstores and even browsing the Barnes & Noble bargain tables, I can pick up for cheap things I might want in the next couple of years.

I buy used sometimes. I have bought things from www.half.com.

But mostly, the "secret" is planning ahead, flexibility about the resources I use and a willingness to write my own plans based on what I have available.