Menu

What is a Christian Old Earth Homeschooler to do??

Guest momk2000

Guest momk2000

*****No debates, I have respect for all viewpoints.*****

I just feel like such a misfit.

Let me embarass myself here for a minute first. I have a 4 year degree in Biology from a Christian college, and never heard of the Young Earth philosophy until I started HSing.

I feel so out of place in the Homeschool community, and have trouble making any real friends. I respect the YEC viewpoint, but feel that I am not given the same in return from others (at least here where we live).

I am so close to just giving up on Church (not my faith - nobody can take that away). The more conservative churches may have some HSing families, but I don't fit in with them. Churches that are not necessarily yec, usually wonder why I don't just put my kids in public school. I just want to tear my hair out - why can't we all just get along.

We are Christian, have always gone to church, and we homeschool. The problem is, we don't homeschool for religious reasons. We are so in the minority in the HSing community. :confused:

Let me embarass myself here for a minute first. I have a 4 year degree in Biology from a Christian college, and never heard of the Young Earth philosophy until I started HSing.

I feel so out of place in the Homeschool community, and have trouble making any real friends. I respect the YEC viewpoint, but feel that I am not given the same in return from others (at least here where we live).

I am so close to just giving up on Church (not my faith - nobody can take that away). The more conservative churches may have some HSing families, but I don't fit in with them. Churches that are not necessarily yec, usually wonder why I don't just put my kids in public school. I just want to tear my hair out - why can't we all just get along.

We are Christian, have always gone to church, and we homeschool. The problem is, we don't homeschool for religious reasons. We are so in the minority in the HSing community. :confused:

I just don't make it an issue. We don't have to agree on everything do we?

Guest momk2000

I don't make it an issue either, but (no offense intended to anyone), those I meet from the YE camp are so strong in their philosophy, there seems to be no acceptance of others with differing viewpoints. :glare:

I don't make it an issue either, but (no offense intended to anyone), those I meet from the YE camp are so strong in their philosophy, there seems to be no acceptance of others with differing viewpoints. :glare:

Oh, well, I just smile and nod. My dh and all his family is YE. Homeschoolers are notoriously opinionated, and they like to share their opinion. Do you have people trying to debate with you. I don't debate in real life. It's just not my thing.

Well, I am dealing with it by starting my own mini-homeschool group with my friends who don't want anything to do with the exclusionary homeschool groups. I can mostly avoid the discussion with people from church unless homeschooling groups come up. Then, they go out of their way to tell me that their groups is for "like-minded people only."

You might be in the minority in *that* category, but you can gather other misfits. In our community this means Catholics, Mormons, divorced parents, non-Christians, etc.

I have never ever had anyone ask me if I was Old Earth, Young Earth or Middle Earth;) If I get together with Christian friends, or homeschool friends or Christian homeschool friends we talk about our lives. We occasionally talk about homeschooling but not that often. We even less occasionally talk about actual curricula since there is such a wide spread of curricula out there. Occasionally someone will tell me that they use "such and such" - usually and all-in-one type program like ABeka. I nod and don't make an issue of the fact that I don't.

I don't feel the need to participate in any co-ops though where a common curricula with whatever bias would be used.

If you lived here, we could be friends. :) I attend church with several other families that homeschool including one of my Pastor's two children. We are all a little different in our beliefs, but one of my friends is a real curriculum pusher. She believes her curriculum to be stellar and oh so much better than the one I use. She takes a traditional approach to school and once told me that "apparently no one does 'REAL SCHOOL' at home anymore. It took a lot for me to keep my mouth shut there. In the end, I realized I wasn't going to change her mind, and I truly don't care what she thinks of me or my curriculum. My kids' achievement test scores as well as what I *know* they know just by being with them each day is enough for me and my dh.

We never really get into the OE/YE issues within my church. After I heard the YE arguments, I began to think of things and lean in that direction myself. However, I do not condemn anyone who doesn't agree with me. My goodness! The truth is that no one (other than God) knows for sure!

:grouphug: I'm sorry you've been given such a hard time. That isn't nice, and it isn't Christian. I'm personally on the fence when it comes to the age of the earth, but we have good friends who are evolutionists, old earth, and young earth. When we moved here we were in a co-op with a family who are openly evolutionists in a very conservative, young earth leaning area. No one held it against her or her kids. And our church does not require a young earth belief for membership. :001_smile: You should not be made to feel like an outcast.

I hope you find a more open and welcoming group.

I'm sorry you are having a rough time. :grouphug:

These threads always blow my mind because honestly, this topic NEVER comes up in my homeschool groups or my church. I don't have a clue who is YE and who is OE. And I hang out with some very, very conservative Christians.

I guess we just don't talk about it.

I'm YE, btw, but my FIL (preacher) is OE. I don't even know what my Dad's stance is on it and he is a preacher also. Oddly enough our family's have never made an issue of it.

Edited by Daisy

I have never ever had anyone ask me if I was Old Earth, Young Earth or Middle Earth;) If I get together with Christian friends, or homeschool friends or Christian homeschool friends we talk about our lives. We occasionally talk about homeschooling but not that often. We even less occasionally talk about actual curricula since there is such a wide spread of curricula out there. Occasionally someone will tell me that they use "such and such" - usually and all-in-one type program like ABeka. I nod and don't make an issue of the fact that I don't.

I don't feel the need to participate in any co-ops though where a common curricula with whatever bias would be used.

I know that alot of my Christian friends are YE types, a lot of them also homeschool primarily for religious reasons, but in all honesty , it really doesn't come up much when we get together, even when we do talk about homeschooling, its more about where we are each at and what we are struggling with.

The one nice thing about the homeschool community is nearly EVERYONE is a minority! :lol: In our group we have former teachers, athiests, baptists, Catholics, pre-school only, duel-enrollment, and the list goes on.

There's just the common ground of educating our kids. I think it's important to find a group, though, that is respectful of each other even if it means tiptoeing a little bit and "passing the bean dip". :D

There are plenty of Old Earth Christians around. Many call it "Gap Theory." I'm sure there are several variations on it with specific labels.

I agree that in my circle of church and HS groups, there are some (Do not post a response to this saying, "It's not everyone." I made it clear that it's only some.) subsets of people who hold to the young earth view that cannot help but debate it if it's mentioned at all. Sorry, but I have run into self-described, "Ken Ham Groupies" that cannot let it go or avoid making an issue out of it. They insist on asking new people where they stand (particularly if The Well Trained Mind or Science curriculum is mentioned.) Then, if you say, "I'm in the Old Earth camp myself." It's on. They cannot resist getting into with you.

I have several friends who use TWTM who have run into exactly the same thing and have left groups (PE and social) because it's brought up by a few of The Young Earth proponents every single time they gather and they have to argue about it. I have heard more than one in the YE camp say if a hser isn't going to teach a YE view then they should just put them in ps anyway. How grossly offensive! As though the age of the earth is the only reason to hs.

Some (not most-don't post about me making stereotypes) of those cannot imagine it's possible to be both a Bible-believing fundamentalist and/or evangelical Christian and have an Old Earth view at the same time. For a few of those people, it's bordering on a cult-like mentality and they give the rest of the polite and civil YE crowd a bad name. I think a little social pressure from the normal YE people directed at the uncivil people in their camp might help, but I'm not sure it would change their behavior.

Many homeschool groups without co-ops require a belief in YEC to join.

And our church does not require a young earth belief for membership.

Neither does mine. But, the homeschool group associated with the church does. Does that even make sense to anyone?

I hope you find a more open and welcoming group.

Or make your own. Honestly, you will find plenty of people who feel like they do not fit in.

I wonder if it because of where we live. I can see maybe being in the Bible belt would be hard to have differing beliefs. I don't know.

We're the only homeschoolers at our church and probably the only Old Earthers as well. I dunno. (Any Baptist Old Earthers? Anyone? LOL!! We go along with the YE view which occasionally pops up--let's face it, we don't talk about origins every day of our lives--and our kids know where we stand.) I go elsewhere to discuss those things and everything else is hunky dory. I'm also the only person I know who says "hunky dory", but I'm OK with that. LOL

There is one other family, new to our church, that is just starting to homeschool and they are totally militant about it. She's trying to start a Classical Conversations group and is trying to recruit BIG time. I hope that if people want to know about homeschooling that they get to me first for a more moderate view. LOL :D

Is it lonely sometimes? Sure. But just like searching out resources for homeschooling itself, I search out like-minded folks when I feel the need and try to chill about the rest. Chilling is not easy for me, but I'm trying.

oh darn I just lost my post....now I will have be more brief.

I am here to offer my emphathy as I do get it. I am an old earther too.

I also feel compelled to share my experience with you as it may help you to understand the Young Earth perspective a bit better. Please remember this is my experience, granted years and years of them, but only what I have known (I am mainly saying this to prevent offense which is not my intent). There are all kind..ALL kinds....and this is just mine.

I was raised in a VERY Young Earth camp, very. The church that taught this to my family was quite concerned about eternity issues. This particular idea was taught as truth without any other variations allowed as truth and it was taught is such a way that believing it could possibly mean the difference between getting into heaven or not. It was taught in a fearful manner and made me afraid to know or try to understand any other standpoints...I just couldn't go there it was too scary (until well into my adulthood with my husband as my guide). This may explain some of the STRONG feelings about it you may have encountered. In my experience it has been true that the Old Earth folks are just a bit more willing to try to *convince* others of the truth.....and, again in my experience, I think it is because the teaching are very strong and clear about it being the ONLY right way.

Not sure if that helps you at all.

One thing I do know is that the agree to disagree relationship comes with time. The more you get to know people the easier it is to trust and move beyond some of the differences. I do so hope this will be true in your case. Some may just not be okay with your stand, but with time, others will.

blessings,

e

I have a friend who is a YE believer. The only time it has come up in conversation was when I asked her about it.

I'm OE and saw something pertaining to YE when I was visiting one day.

The entire conversation about YE/OE lasted 30 seconds.

There are people for which these things are "a hill to die on." You should just avoid them. Search out friends in other places.

There are plenty of Old Earth Christians around. Many call it "Gap Theory." I'm sure there are several variations on it with specific labels.

I agree that in my circle of church and HS groups, there are some (Do not post a response to this saying, "It's not everyone." I made it clear that it's only some.) subsets of people who hold to the young earth view that cannot help but debate it if it's mentioned at all. Sorry, but I have run into self-described, "Ken Ham Groupies" that cannot let it go or avoid making an issue out of it. They insist on asking new people where they stand (particularly if The Well Trained Mind or Science curriculum is mentioned.) Then, if you say, "I'm in the Old Earth camp myself." It's on. They cannot resist getting into with you.

I have several friends who use TWTM who have run into exactly the same thing and have left groups (PE and social) because it's brought up by a few of The Young Earth proponents every single time they gather and they have to argue about it. I have heard more than one in the YE camp say if a hser isn't going to teach a YE view then they should just put them in ps anyway. How grossly offensive! As though the age of the earth is the only reason to hs.

Some (not most-don't post about me making stereotypes) of those cannot imagine it's possible to be both a Bible-believing fundamentalist and/or evangelical Christian and have an Old Earth view at the same time. For a few of those people, it's bordering on a cult-like mentality and they give the rest of the polite and civil YE crowd a bad name. I think a little social pressure from the normal YE people directed at the uncivil people in their camp might help, but I'm not sure it would change their behavior.

:001_huh:This totally blows me away. I never knew it was such a big deal to anyone! :confused: Gosh. I will go crawl back under my little rock now. It is happier under here. :D

Guest momk2000

Exactly! The last thing I really want to do when I get together with a bunch of moms is talk about HSing. Just like my dh doesn't want to talk about work when he comes home since he has been there all day. I just want to make small talk, have a few laughs, etc...

All I have to do is mention a trip we made to the Science Museum, and I get a few sighs, like why would you want to go there. Well, they do have a lot of really cool stuff there besides evolution.

I guess I'm more of a Gap Theory woman, and they are really hard to come by. :D

Wow. I'm sitting here boggled that OE/YE even comes up. I've never heard it discussed in real life interactions--only on forums like this:). It boggles me even further why anyone would care. And yes, I'm YE. But goodness--who cares?? And I don't homeschool for religious reasons, either, despite being Christian. I'm sorry you feel like such a misfit--where ARE you?? Gotta make sure I don't move there;).

Guest momk2000

Yea, I think it might have something to do with where we live (SE). I am also a sensitive type person, so combine the two and...

I am a Baptist Old Earther! Is that odd? confused-29.gif

We don't fit in with many of the homeschoolers in our area who are YE. We homeschool for academic reasons and not religious beliefs.

I am astounded that some people say the OE/YE discussion never arises. DS and I planned a trip to a local planetarium and it came up. The moms wanted to know the viewpoint of the college and whether or not the presentation would focus on OE beliefs (it did).

Certain curricula sells better in our area because it is YE. OE or secular books don't sell as well.

The use of OE/secular science materials or adhering to standard scientific beliefs was the demise of a co-op science group for us this last year. If we would have been willing to focus on YE beliefs we would have had 3-4 other students join in. We used Apologia for goodness sake - I thought that was about as YE as a person could get. I think it was the supplements, field trips and extra labs that DS and I wanted to study that tipped the scales.

Have you considered Catholicism? :D

Same true here. I really do love the families in our group, but..but...maybe they don't even know I am an OE-er! They are very, very strong in what they believe, and it comes out often - on field trips, art classes, etc. I've learned to just keep my mouth shut over the years, and hide the Harry Potter books if they come to my house!:)

YEC was the assumed science at the co-op my oldest was in for biology. It's one reason I took him out. ;)

I'm in Texas, and if you are Christian, it is assumed that you are literal creationist, "conservative", young earth. In many cases, Christians here haven't heard of any other kind.

Most of my homeschool peers found me wildy liberal. My so-called liberal (according to some, nominally Christian) church was very pro-public school.

In my 10+ years of home educating, I never fit in with most homeschoolers. I found more agreement with earth mama, new age, earth-based religion types.

I live in the southwest. I've spent most of my years homeschooling here. I don't think it's ever come up. Not once.

I would treat it like I do any controversial topic if that's what it were to become in my circles. Basically pass the bean dip. I don't get caught up in stuff too much if at all.

I've learned that for every ten homeschoolers there will be ten different opinions on curriculum and such. I find it best to respect others beliefs and choices as I would hope they would respect mine.

I do feel for you, especially if people want to make it an issue. I don't really see why it would matter.

I hear you loud and clear. I homeschooled for educational reasons only and don't regret a minute of it. However, we often felt isolated by the church hs groups who wouldn't even allow us to go on a field trip with them! I feel for you as this is the one aspect I don't miss about homeschooling. Feel free to message me for support.

Edited by Mom2Two

I was raised in the Deep South, now live in the Rockies area, and have always attended church. I had no idea that the YE/OE was such a big deal until the Ken Ham bru-ha-ha just before the Midwest Conference. No idea!!

Having said that, the religious aspect of homeschooling is not the main reason we homeschool. One of the reasons I homeschool is that I want my children to be able to make informed decisions when they leave my house. I want them exposed to both sides of issues and debates, not just a public school's view or a church's view. They will read the "Bible" and "The Origin of the Species". "An Inconvenient Truth" and "Red Hot Lies".

Because of this, I do not seem to fit well anywhere. My kids say I "don't play well" with the other homeschool moms in our area. Sometimes I feel as if we have taken "The Road Less Traveled" and I am an alien wearing large green antennae while I am doing it.

This forum is my retreat. I know I can come on here and there are other people who may not always agree with me but they will respect other's views and their right to speak them. (I love a lively debate of thoughts and views and passion!) There are answers to questions and encouragement when needed. I love that the people on here differ in their views, experiences, politics, religions, and even the way they homeschool.

Please do not feel alone, there are others among us who do not understand the whole OE/YE venom. I have an extra pair of those large green antennae if you want them??

ugh, I feel your pain. I'm facing the same thing, and it's so frustrating. It's not about the OE/YE issue, although I know they are all YE'rs, but I was asked to help a couple of friends start a co-op. We had a meeting last night, and it went great, until they started passing around the registration forms and they had a SOF to sign, and I don't join groups that have a SOF. I think it's offensive for christians to be exclusive like that. Why can't we just all get along and go on field trips together and do non-academic classes without having to have the exact same beliefs???

So they are taking some time to think about it, but I felt like such a fish out of water trying to explain why I didn't agree with a SOF and how it wasn't necessary to be a christian to be in an art class or go on a field trip. And then it got into they hs for religious reasons, and I don't, so.......it's just sad that at the core of Christianity is a man who was open and welcoming to the whole world, and yet all of these people are so stinking exclusive. It really bothers me.

This has been my experience, as well. I don't know where I stand on the age of the earth, and I doubt I ever will come to any real conclusion about that. I also am a Christian using a Christian curriculum who does not homeschool for religious reasons. Add to that the fact that I am a literature-based, classically leaning homeschooler in a co op full of Abekians. However, it has not ever been an issue in the relationships that I have formed.

I'm not OE (I'm YE, but not in anyone's face about it ;),) but I did want to tell you that, as your dc get older, the need to be with only homeschoolers becomes less. By the time your dc are teens, it is often easier to be with non-homeschoolers, in fact. :D

Yes, this was our experience.

80-90% of homeschooolers even here are fundamentalist Christian, and we are not even Christian. It was a shock at first and I was wondering how i would make it work for my kids.

But, we found others of like mind, or enough of like mind, and learned to get along with those who were different.

In the long run, the kids' close friends were other secular folk and also non homeschoolers. But we spent years socialising with the YE people and just politely avoiding certain topics. I have many I consider lovely friends in that community- but my kids found it difficult to make genuine friendships with kids who had strong beliefs, and the belief they needed to share those beliefs.

All that to say....find your people, one way or another. Not necessarily poeple who you completely agree with, but at least people who will accept you and your kids for who you are.

You can come sit by me for starters. :tongue_smilie:

ugh, I feel your pain. I'm facing the same thing, and it's so frustrating. It's not about the OE/YE issue, although I know they are all YE'rs, but I was asked to help a couple of friends start a co-op. We had a meeting last night, and it went great, until they started passing around the registration forms and they had a SOF to sign, and I don't join groups that have a SOF. I think it's offensive for christians to be exclusive like that. Why can't we just all get along and go on field trips together and do non-academic classes without having to have the exact same beliefs???

So they are taking some time to think about it, but I felt like such a fish out of water trying to explain why I didn't agree with a SOF and how it wasn't necessary to be a christian to be in an art class or go on a field trip. And then it got into they hs for religious reasons, and I don't, so.......it's just sad that at the core of Christianity is a man who was open and welcoming to the whole world, and yet all of these people are so stinking exclusive. It really bothers me.

:iagree::grouphug:I abhor statements of faith. I find statements of expected behaviors/rules much better:)

We've been in this boat. I'd never heard of YE until we began hsing (which was not for religious reasons). Early on, our kids learned that many of our new hs friends were YEers. Whenever it was brought up, we managed to pass the bean dip and not really discuss.

For me, it's not a big deal which way people believe, and I wasn't going to make it one. I wanted my kids exposed to both sides, but by us and under our guidance. We used science curriculum that usually taught YE (because Christian OE curriculum was not to be found), and we'd discuss.

My personal views have shifted over the years. I'm 95% YE now; I think dh is still OE. We were talking about this today with ds (in relation to comets), how funny that personal opinions didn't come into play. The churches we've gone to are very, very much YE. I've seen the 'if you don't believe in YE --> then you don't believe in the literal Bible --> so you are not really saved' mentality, and it's ugly.

By reading through the many responses here, it doesn't seem like your minority is really that small--just less vocal. I pray that you take encouragement from that.

:iagree: We just joined a group and there are no exceptions against a YE philosophy. My children will be required to take their course in Creationism even though we are Catholic/Jewish/UU.