Menu

S/O: If you have a college degree, have you, do you, or will you use it?

Has your degree really collected dust?  

1. 1. Has your degree really collected dust?

• I have never used my degree in a professional job
    • I have used it some but not enough to have made it worth my while
    • I have used it, will use it, or am currently using it
    • I do not have a degree but wanted to take the poll
    • I am glad I went to college, but I never finished
    • I wish I wouldn't have bothered to go to college
    • I am glad I went to college and glad I finished
    • I wish I had gone another route (tech college or similar)
    • Other (just because)

I use my degree. I teach college class part-time, and I use my education in homeschooling.

Do I think it was a waste? No. But, was it a sound financial decision? Absolutely not. I spent 8 years in school, accruing debt, and am making a small fraction of what people I know without any degree are making.

My DH has a doctorate and is making less than half of what my BIL who didn't go to college is making, and has a lot of student loan debt to try to pay back.

For us, was it a good choice? Probably. We like our life. We like our jobs, we're okay with living in a small apartment and having one car, we don't mind passing up on the things that different choices would have allowed us to have. But, it's also stressful, and having more financial security would be nice.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But there ARE less expensive options.

Unless my children really NEED a fancy name and high price tag, they have been told that they can live at home for free and attend the local 4 year college (there are a couple of options) and we will fund it. Anything beyond that, they have to cover the difference.

Our local CC is $1,600 per year and the local 4 year college tuition is $5,500 per year. Those costs are almost lower than the least expensive Kindergarden in the area! I am not kidding.

Dawn

Right, and if one has those options available, great. It's not uniform across the country. Nor is the quality of education the same at each institution.

And, what you describe above is not equivalent to my choices among many private colleges throughout the country, with certain admission standards. That is now out-of-reach for people who could swing it 20-30 years ago. Choice has been diminished for the average candidate due to the economics of the industry.

I'm lucky that I got out just as the whole cost structure really started mushrooming (and became exacerbated by the lack of wage inflation over the last years...).

I don't have any debt (worked full time and studied almost-full-time by correspondence, then paid for post-grad myself), and used my degree for 4 years, but I don't think it was worth my while. I certainly want dd to get a degree, but I would be reluctant to help her financially unless she can demonstrate that she has a clear idea of how her degree can be used flexibly to fit in with family life. Unless of course she seems very career-driven and would seem unlikely to take time off for child-rearing. I sometimes feel very bitter about the wasted opportunity of education and career.

However, just because I have used my degree and am glad I went to college doesn't mean that I believe everyone should go to college.

:iagree:

I'm not currently using my degree, except in teaching my kids French, but I have used it in the past, and may use it again in the future. I thoroughly benefitted from college and would not trade my experiences for anything, not even to be free of student loans.

That said, I don't think college is a necessity for everyone, and I think a person can have a full and satisfying life and career if they choose a different path.

Hmm, just to tangent, I don't think that waitressing is the "job to look forward to".

Don't get me wrong, I waitressed all through college, in a sports bar and that was my FAVORITE job ever! Fun people, music, all the sports, excellent money!!! Tips were about $100 on a bad night.

BUT that being said, I think while it can be a good paying job, there are no benefits, no vacations, no guaranteed money. It really is a job for the younger crowd. Honestly, if I see a older (say, 50's or older), I usually think that person must have a rough life. I have never seen a older waitress that looks like they are "well off" or even enjoying their life.

Waitressing is not for the faint of heart. On your feet and moving the entire time, carrying heavy trays, not spilling food/drink, servicing customers, and not always friendly customers. Cleaning up after slobs, sometimes being treated like dirt. Not what I want to be doing when I am in my 50's or older.

I am completely guessing, but I assume that most older people who waitress is because they don't have any other job options and that is the only way they can figure out how to pay bills. I am NOT judging, but just saying that I just don't think that the "hmm, college vs waitressing" thought process is, well a bit short-sighted. Yes, I love waitressing in college, quick easy money, late nights, flirting with customers....but now, in my late 30's....hmm, not the lifestyle I would want.

ps. I know that many mothers will often work as waitresses in the evenings as that works out well for DH"s to be home with children, and it brings in extra money. My own mother did this when I was a child. So not dissing doing what you have to do to make ends meet. My point is simply that I just don't think that waitressing is a long-term job goal, like pursuing a college degree can be.

You are exactly right in saying "assume". I am a middle aged restaurant worker with a M.B.A. I also have several wine certifications from C.I.A and C.M.S. I work around 30 hrs a week. My husband is an attorney in private practice. Our insurance is significantly less via my employer. My schedule is mine to make and the income allows us to travel. I am enjoying my "rough" life. :D

Anthropology. And while DH and I have not worked in our fields very much, the degrees have been essential for getting jobs (just the cutoff of having a bachelors degree - nevermind in what) and in making us more interesting job applicants. DH is an IT guy for an NGO now, and has to do a lot of travel to developing countries, and although they weren't advertising for an anthropologist, it was definitely a point in his favor... as was his having had the experience of working on projects in developing countries.

I'm working on a career change which will have the appearance of virtually no connection to anthropology... but because I have the B.A. already, and work experience that I started in school and continued with (data management and statistics, which led me to computer programming and database development), it's a matter of taking a few more courses and certification exams, rather than having to start on a whole new degree.

It's true that you can work without a college degree, but a lot of those jobs are "a young person's game". I'm not a snob about hard physical work, but injuries and fatigue can be a huge issue, especially as you get older. I wouldn't discourage someone who had a talent for physical work, or who just enjoyed it, but I would encourage them to save aggressively for their retirement.

That was not clear to me so I apologize if I didn't read that correctly. I still am not quite sure what you were commenting on though.

And no, no unresolved issues with conforming. If I had issues in that regard I would not be homeschooling but working in my field.

Dawn

Apparently you did not read back through the entire discussion, Dawn. A previous poster noted that in her experience people who did not go to college sometimes felt later in life that they were somehow less intelligent than people who did go to college, that their self-esteem had suffered from not pursuing a degree. I commented as I did because if out there somewhere someone had lower self-esteem from not going to college, then that person probably ought to look into taking some classes.

Why so defensive, Dawn? Unresolved issues with conforming?

Edited by DawnM

Well, that is true and I have heard that our local 4 year school isn't "up to snuff" with some of the more distant schools. However, I still contend that MOST fields of study don't need the better quality schools. Dh didn't need the higher end school until Grad school. I didn't need it at all really. Going to UCLA or Cal State would have landed me the same job.

I would indeed love for my children to all go to a nice Christian private college and live on campus, but that isn't going to happen. We make too much to receive aid, but too little to send 3 children there. My alma mater is $32,000 per year.

Yes, they can apply for scholarships and we will see what happens when they get to that age, but as of right now we are only counting on option A. Better to tell them now than have their hopes dashed later!

Dawn

Right, and if one has those options available, great. It's not uniform across the country. Nor is the quality of education the same at each institution.

And, what you describe above is not equivalent to my choices among many private colleges throughout the country, with certain admission standards. That is now out-of-reach for people who could swing it 20-30 years ago. Choice has been diminished for the average candidate due to the economics of the industry.

I'm lucky that I got out just as the whole cost structure really started mushrooming (and became exacerbated by the lack of wage inflation over the last years...).

My husband got a degree in Vocal Music Education. He could only make it in the classroom 2 yrs and has since changed careers twice just to be able to provide for us. Thank God those options have been there for him! ...and that dh is willing to do that for us! :)

I have a degree in Instumental Music Education. I taught a total of 6 yrs before starting our homeschooling journey. Now, to my surprise, I will be starting a homeschool band in the fall! So I will be "using" my degree again!

That being said, I don't know if I will encourage my children to go to college or not. If the market were more stable, I would definitely encourage my sons to go into a trade. My husband made 3 times his teaching salary in the trades. (*SOAPBOX* And he earned every penny of it. He made sure he was the best in every area of his trade and gave 100% every day. Plus, it's very hard on one's body. Tradespeople deserve the money they make. *stepping down*)

I certainly won't encourage my children to be teachers. :glare: The pay is just insulting.

We do have huge loans. That's all I'm going to say about that. ;)

So I'm on the fence. But it doesn't really matter because my kids have to make those decisions for themselves. Right now my ds is leaning toward cullinary school. Which, from what I can figure, doesn't pay great either. He'll just have to be a famous chef. :D

Edited by giftof6
grammar

Oh my goodness, we have a PRIVATE school here that offers culinary degrees.....it is something like $20K a year for only tuition. Crazy.

As far as teaching goes. I earned an ok living in CA, but here in NC I don't know how people make it on a teacher's salary.

I really don't see any of my boys going that route, but we will see.

Dawn

My husband got a degree in Vocal Music Education. He could only make it in the classroom 2 yrs and has since changed careers twice just to be able to provide for us. Thank God those options have been there for him! ...and that dh is willing to do that for us! :)

I have a degree in Instumental Music Education. I taught a total of 6 yrs before starting our homeschooling journey. Now, to my surprise, I will be starting a homeschool band in the fall! So I will be "using" my degree again!

That being said, I don't know if I will encourage my children to go to college or not. If the market were more stable, I would definitely encourage my sons to go into a trade. My husband made 3 times his teaching salary in the trades. (*SOAPBOX* And he earned every penny of it. He made sure he was the best in every area of his trade and gave 100% every day. Plus, it's very hard on one's body. Tradespeople deserve the money they make. *stepping down*)

I certainly won't encourage my children to be teachers. :glare: The pay is just insulting.

We do have huge loans. That's all I'm going to say about that. ;)

So I'm on the fence. But it doesn't really matter because my kids have to make those decisions for themselves. Right now my ds is leaning toward cullinary school. Which, from what I can figure, doesn't pay great either. He'll just have to be a famous chef. :D

I graduated in 1989. Tuition for me at my top tier LAC was about $14,000.00 per year. My parents income as not all that great and when Dh and I married (right before my senior year) his wasn't so hot either, so I did qualify for financial aid.

I graduated with $10,000.00 debt. Dh had $20,000.00 His debt definitely paid for itself. Mine did too.

I was a music major though I did not pursue the teacher education end of it. I have taught piano and voice lessons, along with performed ever since I graduated. I charge $250.00 for weddings, $22.00 a lesson (though obviously it wasn't that high in the 80's, but still because of the degree got more per lesson than most teachers), and $100.00 an hour for other performances such as providing music for banquets and Christmas festivals. I charged $500.00 for such evenings as my "Biscotti with Bach" recitals. The debt paid for itself before it was actually paid off.

But, if I had to do it over again, I might not pursue piano performance. It was a grueling major. 18-20 credit hours per semester, four hours per day minimum in the practice room, performing weekly, performance group participation requirement, eight piano students per semester minimum for the department's piano ed program, and teaching assistant internships for no pay in which the professors considered interns to be indentured servants. Easily a 100-120 hr. per week job between all of it. I didn't sleep much. I studied and wrote papers when everyone else snoozed. So, as much passion as I have for music, I would be rethinking performance if I had to do it all over again.

Faith

I haven't "used" my chemistry degrees since ds was born (he's 18). A few years ago I started graduate studies in horticulture and landscape design---interrupted to homeschool---and found some of the courses to be very easy due to my past chem and bio coursework.

Dh and I had no undergraduate debt. The smidge of graduate-related debt we had was paid off within a year.

Our son will have no undergraduate debt. We were able to save a portion of his costs. He worked very hard in high school and received a good deal of scholarship money. He made a financial decision to attend his university. Dd16 watched and listened and is intending on making a similar decision :)

I didn't finish. I didn't want to be there and was wasting my parents money. I was able to go to work in my field of study. The things I learned in 1.5 years of college were pretty useless when actually in the field. I learned more OTJ than I would have if I finished college.

I don't use any of my college time or OTJ training now. If I had to go back to work I'd probably go back to school for a few secretarial refresher courses and just be someone's AA.

I used my degree in education by teaching in public school for 15 years. I will never use it again. Even if I go back to work I don't want to teach in a school anymore. Homeschooling spoiled me. :D

I agree that education/learning is always worth it! College is not the only source though.

This is especially true now. The internet makes it so much easier to get an education without attending college. And if you really want a college education, you can take online classes.

I loved my college experience, but it was a different day and age (the seventies). If I was trying to get a college education today I'd look at the different choices available that weren't an option back then.

I have a degree, not in a highly employable field, but it is enough to get me a job that would allow me to survive and keep my kids should I ever need to go to work.

For me, it's not so much the degree as the chosen major/minor -- to truly work in my major, I'd need a master's degree on top of the BA. But, I could fairly easily find work in a related area I think with the degree I do have. So, it does make me employable should I ever need to be, something beyond a minimum wage job.

Was the degree itself worth the massive student loans? Not sure. Until such time as I need it, it has felt like an awful drain on our finances, paying down student loans for a degree I don't use. We made so little in our early married life that we deferred for ages, and are just now almost done (5 payments away) paying off my loans completely. We are not that close to paying of DH's loans (he has both a BS and an MBA, and both were largely funded by student loans), but at least his career uses his degree.

Still, I am glad I went to college and finished, because of the so much else that college entails -- it wasn't just about the degree, but life experience, friendships, growth, etc. A hefty price tag, though, and if I had it to do over I might have chosen a different field at least.

I did use my degrees before staying home with the kids. I have a BA in history and political science and did work in politics for a few years begore leaving the workforce. My particular degrees weren't that important in getting -or doing - the job, though I needed some type of college degree to be considered. Who you know is waaaay more important in getting a job in my field.

I actually had no intention of ever working with my degree when I went to college. I was planning on joining a cloistered religious order after graduation. I went to college simply to study and learn. A die-hard liberal arts education.

I have a BS in Nutrition, got my teaching credential and taught jr. high for 11 years. I also have an MA in Teaching and Curriculum. I didn't use my Nutrition Degree, but I'm glad I got it. The Liberal Studies Degree that a lot of people got who went into teaching seemed very light weight to me (no offense to anyone with a Liberal Studies Degree) and I'm glad I was challenged by the route I went. Now, considering the way education is going here in California and in general, there is no way I'd get back into teaching unless it's in a Christian/private school. I was talking about this with DH the other day. He asked if I'd go back to teaching if he died or were seriously injured and couldn't work. I said, "NO WAY!" I have no idea what I'd do, but it's not getting back into education.

What is to be the working definition of "use"?

I have "used" my degrees both in a narrow sense and in a broadly-defined sense. My personal viewpoint is that, because I did not die the same day that my degree was awarded, I have used my education ever since.

My degree gathers dust, but I'm glad I have it. I enjoyed college. I planned on grad school, but decided to have babies first. I figured I'd go to grad school when kids went to school. Never planned on home schooling. ;)

Every now and then I talk about grad school, but DH says if I go to grad school then I have to get a job when I'm finished. I'd rather home school my boys. :001_smile:

DH doesn't have a degree, and really wishes he did. He needs one now at this point in his career.

I taught ps for 3 years, and it positioned us financially to have a nice home in which for me to hs our children. It's also a great fall-back degree if anything should happen to dh. (especially since I have my Master's degree with Special Education endorsements)

I also agree with the posters who stated they were thankful for the process of education. I happen to be a person who loves school and learning and I believe I benefited greatly from many of my classes.

I worked my way through school with minimal debt at a low cost state university. It was paid off by the time our second child came along, maybe before.

That was not clear to me so I apologize if I didn't read that correctly. I still am not quite sure what you were commenting on though.

And no, no unresolved issues with conforming. If I had issues in that regard I would not be homeschooling but working in my field.

Dawn

By the way, congrats on being able to reply to such a snotty post without returning the snottiness. I think I'll follow you around awhile and take notes. :tongue_smilie:

I use what I learned from my degree all the time even though I don't have a professional job in that field.

I'm glad I went to college and I'm glad I earned my degree.

I don't feel college is necessary for everyone.

:iagree:I met DH at college as well, so I'm very glad I went! :lol:

I have a BS in Biochemistry and MS in Genetics. I have a small debt from the BS, and I got through grad school with assistantships.

I got married between BS and MS, and I had a strong feeling that I would end up homeschooling. DH was in grad school as well, so it was nice to have two grad stipends add up to a decent living wage. Finishing that degree when I knew I wouldn't be using it in a traditional sense was a great lesson in perseverance.

Having graduate experience under my belt opened a door for a part-time job (not in my field though) that helped so much as we bought our first home. I was an ideal hire from my boss's perspective - someone with skills who wasn't looking for benefits or a transition to a full-time job.

I quit that job about a year ago since it would have been too much once youngest DS was born. We're near a small university and cc, so once we're out of the baby/toddler stages, I hope to teach evening or online courses.

I have an engineering degree, and used it just long enough to pay my debts (almost nothing) my husband's (20K?) and to clear the mortgage on our house (300K)

Yup I had a high paying job that I walked away from as soon as we were debt-free, to stay home with the kids, and enjoy life. I "retired" at 35. Not bad, huh? So I'm a bit biaised when I say a college degree is totally worth it ;-)

I may go back to work soon though, because I want to pay for a cleaning lady. I'd rather work and pay someone else to clean, than clean by myself. What will I work as? a secretary! LOL. I used to *have* one, not be one. Oh well, the job has no stress, few hours, and I can bring my kids with me and homeschool on the job. Couldn't ask for anything better.

I worked as an engineer for 7 years. I "retired" from engineering because I was not happy with what I experienced as far as demands for uncompensated overtime, being on call 24/7, coworkers with very unbalanced lives, and workplace hazards. Then I worked in a different field for the next five years, in jobs with no overtime, and I think a more general degree would have been more helpful toward getting the jobs in more balanced, less intense fields.

I keep reading several on the other thread talk about how all their college degree did was collect dust and give them outrageous student loans.

Dh and I both went to college several years after high school (4 years for me and 5 for dh), so we had to foot the entire bill ourselves. We did end up with about $30K in debt (I believe - it's all paid off now), and neither of us is working in the field that we got our degrees in. I haven't ever worked in my degree field (Biological Systems Engineering) and dh is in a totally different field (he got his degree in Elementary Ed, but works in IT and computer networking).

We're both glad we went - dh would not have gotten the jobs he did w/o a degree, and for me, I didn't know if I'd work or not in my field, but it was a challenge I enjoyed and good for my personal growth (although expensive).

The problem now with the CC route is few classes that can be taken towards the 4 yr degree req't. High school students routinely dual enroll here as jrs and srs...most can finish a year of CC by high school grad. There is, for example, no math for top students to take when they do get to CC, which is a problem for those who want more than gen ed Calc. Far better to go to a 4 yr and take classes at the honors level if one wants to gain in thinking skills and knowlege, rather than just get the ticket stamped.

I guess this depends on your location. The CC my oldest attends offers Calculus through Calc 3 and many other advanced math classes for the business/math/science majors. It has a vet tech program, pre-med (just to name a couple) and many transfer agreements with some very good four year schools.

I do realize a CC with a top-notch math and science department may be unusual, but is it that unusual? This is hardly a big city. I guess I should thank my lucky stars.

I have a degree in math and was a computer programmer. I do not plan on going back in to that field, but want to do something math-related when I eventually go back to work.

I have never for a minute regretted going to college. It was one of the best times in my life, besides the benefit of earning a degree. It's something I really want for my children as well.

Guest momk2000

I have two degrees, the first a Bachelors, which I never used. The second an Associates, which I used before children, and may likely use in the future if needed.

If I were 18 today, I would not go into debt to earn a college degree, it's not worth it. If I had the cash to pay for my education, then maybe. Don't get me wrong, I do believe a college degree is valuable, but only if you know what you will do with it in the long run. I feel like my BA was a waste of time and $. If I could go back in time, I would get a job after HS graduation, and go to CC part-time to earn my Associates. Then maybe I would continue on to get a bachelors, if I felt it were necessary.

I guess this depends on your location. The CC my oldest attends offers Calculus through Calc 3 and many other advanced math classes for the business/math/science majors. It has a vet tech program, pre-med (just to name a couple) and many transfer agreements with some very good four year schools.

I do realize a CC with a top-notch math and science department may be unusual, but is it that unusual? This is hardly a big city. I guess I should thank my lucky stars.

We do not live within a 200 miles radius of a Michigan community college that offers anything higher than college algebra. None offer science beyond what is required for a 1 yr. practical nursing license. Since nursing has become so high tech, many hospitals are slowing phasing out practical nurses and increasing nurses aides at low pay while putting on more AD.N's and B.S.R.N.'s. Even the two year colleges that offer the A.D.N. degree (again, not near here) do not offer a math beyond college algebra or sciences beyond 100 level chemistry and biology (except anatomy and physiology). Additionally, when we checked out the transfering of cc. credits from any of the cc's within commuting distance to the state's four year institutions, none would take anything except college writing, college algebra (which dd didn't need, she needed calculus), and a few electives and since she was going into pre-med, not one single class no matter what it's title or even if it was to fulfill an elective would be counted, not even foreign language. It actually counted AGAINST her to have cc credits.

So, no community college here. My nephew just spent two years at a fairly highly reputed community college taking mostly business and computer tech classes. He tried to transfer to Michigan Technological University. Not one single class would transfer...money down a hole.

I have heard of others, particularly in the midwest, who are in the same boat. I think that the cc's on the coasts tend to be much better than in the center of the U.S.

Faith

Yes

There is definitely a negative association with CC on this forum, and if many CC are on par with some of the worst high schools, that would explain it. Hmmm...

I can definitely think of one school around here I wouldn't waste my student's time with. I always figured they didn't offer much since it was a satellite of a larger school. I'm sure there are others in my state that are sub-par as well. I just figured "How bad could it be? It's a college!". :001_huh:

I went straight to a larger school (not the same one) instead. This particular CC enrolls about 48,000 students. Just poking around their website today, I discovered they rank nationally in the top 2% in the number of associate degrees awarded. I knew we were lucky to have them, but am continuously pleased with this school, it's campus and it's staff.

Oh, and my dh just earned a BS through this school using their transfer agreement.

We do not live within a 200 miles radius of a Michigan community college that offers anything higher than college algebra. None offer science beyond what is required for a 1 yr. practical nursing license. Since nursing has become so high tech, many hospitals are slowing phasing out practical nurses and increasing nurses aides at low pay while putting on more AD.N's and B.S.R.N.'s. Even the two year colleges that offer the A.D.N. degree (again, not near here) do not offer a math beyond college algebra or sciences beyond 100 level chemistry and biology (except anatomy and physiology). Additionally, when we checked out the transfering of cc. credits from any of the cc's within commuting distance to the state's four year institutions, none would take anything except college writing, college algebra (which dd didn't need, she needed calculus), and a few electives and since she was going into pre-med, not one single class no matter what it's title or even if it was to fulfill an elective would be counted, not even foreign language. It actually counted AGAINST her to have cc credits.

So, no community college here. My nephew just spent two years at a fairly highly reputed community college taking mostly business and computer tech classes. He tried to transfer to Michigan Technological University. Not one single class would transfer...money down a hole.

I have heard of others, particularly in the midwest, who are in the same boat. I think that the cc's on the coasts tend to be much better than in the center of the U.S.

Faith

I'm assuming you are quite a bit north of me (Most of the state is quite a bit north of me.).

Just out of curiosity which CC did your nephew attend? (PM me if you like.)

MTU is one of the schools ds was looking at. They do list our CC on their website as an okay school to transfer from. Every math class ds has taken so far will transfer. His English classes will too (according to their website anyway...).

I earned my 4 year degree on a full scholarship based on my high school work so I graduated without any debt. DH has both his 4 year degree (paid for by his parents) and his Master's (student loans). We are still paying off the student loans but he worked to pay for a lot of it while attending school so not as much as it could be. I would say he feels his Master's was very worth it as he is doing very well doing what he loves and is able to support his strange homeschooling wife and kiddos! Seriously, I believe the three degrees between the two of us have been terrific for our family and we do hope all three of our children will pursue college degrees as well.

I just checked the local CCs website (we are in a city), and there are a number of sections, on the various campuses, of Calc I, Calc II, and Linear Algebra listed.

The CC in the county I used to live in offers Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations.

Both are in SE Michigan.

I just checked the local CCs website (we are in a city), and there are a number of sections, on the various campuses, of Calc I, Calc II, and Linear Algebra listed.

The CC in the county I used to live in offers Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations.

Both are in SE Michigan.

Probably one of those is the one I'm talking about. If not, it's pretty close. MCC?

Some of you who don't live in areas where there are decent options locally for college, have you looked into any of the online options for your children at all? There are some B&M schools that only require a 2 week residency per year, etc...that I keep hearing about.

I also wonder what kinds of options might be available in the near future in regards to satellite options, etc....

For us, thankfully, DH has to live in a decent sized city, so there will be local options, although Charlotte has far fewer than Los Angeles did. :tongue_smilie:

Dawn

CCs here have nothing beyond Calc III. They are foccused on remedial. The high schools that offer more either use private 4 year colleges or they have a qualified teacher. So..if you are a top student on the accel track, you likely finished Calc and Linear Algebra or Intro to DE in high school..leaving you nothing at the CC. If you're on the track below, you finished Calc I and II, so you have a semester you could do at the CC for Calc III.

Are students now doing Calc II and III in high school? When I was in high school, even the best math students didn't do more than Calc I.

I have a BS in Health Science with an emphasis in Public Health. I sort of used it at a short-term job out of college. It wasn't directly in my field, but the degree helped if that makes sense. I'm currently a full-time SAHM now, but I still feel like my degree is useful to my everyday life.

It'd be unusual here. I listed our currently available (cc) math courses on the cc thread here: ( http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287474&page=3 )

Our local cc offers:

Remedial:

6 Pre-Alg

9 Beginning Alg

1 Pre College Alg

9 Intermediate Alg

College Level:

1 College Math for Business

3 College Alg

1 Applied Calc for Business

1 Principles of Math

1 Math Elementary Teachers II

1 Pre-Calc

2 Intro to Statistics

Working in our local public high school for the past 11 years, this doesn't surprise me.

Middle son is doing Calc 1 at home with Thinkwell. Oldest did it at home with Chalkdust.

PLUS, if anyone is reading who is seriously considering Pre-Med, it's probably helpful to know that many MED SCHOOLS do not want to see their pre-req's completed at a community college. It's fine to have other credits from there (general ed), but not the specific pre-med courses. They want to see those from a 4 year school. Med school admittance is far tougher now than it used to be and it's better not to have any nicks against an application. Chances are, a decent pre-med adviser would tell you the same thing, but it's possible some 4 year schools don't have a good pre-med adviser. Every single school middle son has been looking into has told us that (and that they don't want to see AP Bio/Chem credits instead of the actual classes, etc).