Menu

Definition, please: flaky

How would you define this word (when used as an adjective to describe people)? If you've used it to describe someone, did you mean that you just weren't compatible? That he/she is someone everyone should avoid? That the person has mannerisms which could be changed if someone else pointed them out?

I'm not in a specific situation with this word :001_smile:, just curious.

Some one that says they are going to show up somewhere, but may or may not. Some one that changes their mind frequently. I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence, but rather indecisiveness.

We use "flaky" all the time as a word to describe some one that has stood us up or can't commit to something. (We're flaky sometimes too :) )

All of the above :)

However, just because someone is flaky doesn't mean they aren't a good person. I know many people that are, at least sometimes, flaky - and I just factor that in when making plans with them.

Yes...I have friends like this & I still love them to pieces.....:)

I agree with pp. Flaky is unreliable/indecisive. To me it is someone who is those things and they don't even know it or care. They kind of laugh it off. For example:

Oh I was supposed to be at work at 7:00, my bad, hehehe.

You know kind of clueless, but happy. :D

Flaky to me kind of means the same thing as the blond jokes. (not that I agree) but that is the image I have...dumb, flighty, airhead, etc.

I've never really thought about it meaning unreliable...just not the smartest one in the bunch. :D And yes, they can still be good people...just kind of clueless!

It's one of those words that I feel like is in a zone where sometimes it's very negative and critical and sometimes it's a sort of self-deprecating or cheerfully euphemistic word - like someone might apologize for being late by calling themselves flaky or someone might be like, it's okay, we didn't expect you to turn up, we all know you're a little flaky.

Agreed that I don't mind flaky people much of the time. When they show up or do something, great, when they don't, oh well. Then again, I wouldn't want to include them in some types of activities (I worried quite a bit that a couple of the parents in our big Shakespeare production were a bit flaky) - but if it's a big party or a big field trip with lots of room or something, then hey, great to see you.

To me it means not reliable.

:iagree: Flakey people, IME, tend to also be "space cadets" (absent minded but not insincere) or just opportunistic, in that they think nothing of forgetting a commitment when it suits them.

Flighty, to me, means a person prone to panic, and poor decisions that go along with jumpiness.

Thanks everyone! I knew the Hive Annotated Dictionary would be helpful. :001_smile:

:lol:

Love it! I plan to focus on vocabulary more this year. I've discovered that reading or hearing a word used in proper context where one can figure out what the word means, how it relates to other similar words and how it is different can be most helpful to build a larger vocabulary. I'll have to remember to use the Hive Annotated Dictionary when I encounter words that I want to understand more clearly. :D

Some one that says they are going to show up somewhere, but may or may not. Some one that changes their mind frequently. I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence, but rather indecisiveness.

We use "flaky" all the time as a word to describe some one that has stood us up or can't commit to something. (We're flaky sometimes too :) )

:iagree: This is my definition of it as well. We also sometimes use the term "flake out" when someone decides last minute not to show..."I guess she flaked out on us" or some such.

How would you define this word (when used as an adjective to describe people)? If you've used it to describe someone, did you mean that you just weren't compatible? That he/she is someone everyone should avoid? That the person has mannerisms which could be changed if someone else pointed them out?

I'm not in a specific situation with this word :001_smile:, just curious.

When I use the word 'flaky' to describe someone, I mean that they are generally unreliable. It doesn't mean that they are bad people or that one should avoid them. One of my best friends is kind of flaky and I love her to bits.