Menu

If you moved to another country, where would you go and why?

I'm surprised by all the people who listed England, Scotland, and Ireland as places that they'd like to move to. Do you have any idea how bad the weather is here? Would it really not bother you to have highs of 60F with rain and high winds throughout the summer months? Ugh.

I'd consider that a lovely change of pace, and maybe in 17 years it would start to bother me, like it's taken 17 years to get me to the point where I. HATE. THE. HEAT!!!!!!!

You're always welcome :D

Thanks! I'm hoping to at least visit in the next couple of years!

Oh, I don't think that a lot of Americans think that the USA is such a great country, especially in the last several years. We would love to emigrate, but I have a hard time trying to figure out why some other country would want us to move there. DH is a forensic intensive case manager for seriously mentally ill folk who just got out of jail or prison and I am a homeschool mom. I don't think there is much call for either occupation out there.

I'd like the UK also, I'm clearly bred for cold wet weather. But I looked up the emigration laws and I don't think they would let us back in.........

I'm not in the US, but can't resist answering. Norway! norway.gifIf only such a move were practical.

ETA: I forgot to answer the "why" part. I love the language, culture, landscape, values (at least most of them), homeschooling is legal, and it's in Europe.

Me too!!!!! norway.gif

I'm originally from the US, moved to Canada. I don't ever want to leave, but in my little daydreams of "what if..." I dream of Norway. I got to spend a few months there when I was in my early 20's at Oslo National Academy of Arts. I loved it.

ETA: It was summer when I was there, but I've since had the experience of bitter Canadian Prairie winters, so I'm pretty sure I can handle Norwegian winters now.

Edited by Audrey

I have a couple.

We really, really loved Iceland. Our 5 year old till can't stop talking about it. We loved the thermal energy and the spring water and the belief in elvin folk!! Fascinating place that I feel realistically we could live for awhile.

However, a piece of my heart is in Cambodia and I would love, love, love, to go back and settle for awhile and go between there and Laos. The more developing places suit our fancy a bit more and we are not quite sure why....but feel it is for a reason or two, and I would love to find those reason out!

Oh....and Morocco, not because we loved it so, but just because I want to figure it out more.

e

Most of our friends have moved to Australia, so I've got a contact in every major city should we wish to move there. I really like what I saw when we visited. Although it has been hard for all of them, our friends have settled well and have all been welcomed in their communities.

Even though my sister has an Irish husband and has lived in his hometown for six years now, she will always be regarded as a 'blow-in' by the locals. It has been very difficult for her to make friends and as a foreigner she does not expect ever to be fully accepted (even by his family to be truthfull). I think that is true for other smaller communities as well. The social aspect was very unexpected and hard for her, expecially after leaving behind my other sister and a large circle of friends in London.

We were going to emigrate to the UK 3 years ago (job secured and visas arranged), but pulled out at the last minute due to dh's health issues. We're here to stay now. We've learned to appreciate what we have rather than dwell on everything that is bad about the country.

Well I'm in Australia and would love to get out of here - so I'll happily swap with anyone who wants to move in ;)

My DH would like to move back to Canada - me - not so much - I hate the cold.

Asian countries are fun to live in if you can get used to the squish of people.

I'd like to live in the USA because my mum lives there but there are a lot of things I don't like about the country so it wouldn't be my top choice.

I think my top choice would be to live in a European country or posibly NZ if it wasn't so earthquake prone :D

From what I've read of your reasons for your dislike of Australia, NZ is not for you.

New Zealand! DH loved it there! I don't know much about the religious/homeschooling freedoms though. My dad is looking into South America. Several countries are very American friendly(English, etc) and it's very cheap to live.

Yeah, NZ rocks.

But we like Aussie, we are happy here. No thoughts of moving, and the religous restrictions and healthcare issues in the US are too offputting for us to do more than dream of living there.

We've been in Asia for five years now and will probably be here another two or three. Then, we're hoping for Northern Itlay. Oh how we miss Italy. DH really wants to do the Under the Tuscan Sun thing when it comes to retirement. We've also joked about maybe retiring in Canada. How I wish my parents had taken out British or Canadian citizenship for us when we were young. Scotland is on my list too, it's where my mom is from, but right now I just don't see how that'd work. Give me cold, rainy days over this heat and humidity!

Belgium, where I have lived previously and absolutely loved. Many countries I could be happy in but right now I am happy to be moving to Huntsville, AL and that I will be only 3 hours away from my soon to be freshman daughter in college.

I have informed dh that if he does make some money with his inventions, I probably will want a second home and that maybe outside the US.

New Zealand!!!! I actually already get their immigration emails because I want to move there so much. It is beautiful, no naturally occurring poisonous creatures. There are earthquakes but I can handle that. It has a diverse culture and the public education system is well set up.

That is a very difficult question to answer.

I grew up in Kenya. I had excellent health care, but not because of health insurance, but because my father is a doctor and we grew up next door to a hospital with excellent missionary doctors. There are NOW lots of American homeschoolers there. When I went all the kids went to boarding school, myself included. I could live there again, but mostly because I am familiar with it. We stayed out of politics as Americans, but it isn't overly stable.

I loved Singapore, but I know my DH wouldn't like it (too crowded.) Those are the same reasons he wouldn't like most major cities. It is the reason he wanted to leave Los Angeles.

He had the chance to go to Luzanne (sp?) in Switzerland and we may still take it at some point. He also had the chance to go to Germany but I told him I really didn't want to go anywhere I couldn't homeschool.

I think I would like Ireland. I loved Scotland.

The areas of Scandanavia are too darn cold for our liking.

I have dear friends in NZ and Austrailia and think we would like it there too.

Dawn

Well, we've become disallusioned with America or should I say, corporate America in particular. Dh has become nothing more than an indentured servant for his company and I am not saying that lightly. He's working consistently 80 hr. work weeks; a low week, when they rarely happen, is 65. He's salaried, they will not allow him to take comp time, and when he does use vacation to get a day off, his co-workers and managers call him. Given the work climate here for guys in the tech industry, I'd be very happy if we made a move to Thailand for a couple of years. Nothing permanent because he has responsibilities for his mother, but a couple of years off and a chance to experience another culture, would be wonderful.

So, that is my vote. Thailand! Maybe that's just because there is an Oracle DBA job there that he is perfectly suited for and I'm hoping he will apply. His mom is currently in good health and she does like to travel and has money to do so. She could get a three month tourist visa each year and spend some time with us. If her health starts to take a turn for the worst, we could come back home. What he does for a living is in enough demand (highly specialized) that he should be able to get a jobin the US when we return. We are two years and four months from being debt free so he could also take a pay cut then and work somewhere else.

Thailand, does anyone have experience living there? The position sounds good and I've been on several ex-pat websites. The salary appears to be well within a range to pay to rent a three bedroom home in a safe neighborhood there, pay our house payment here, plus all of our other expenses including transportation and tuition to an international school for the children though it appears that foreigners can homeschool there.

Faith

What an interesting thread! There are a lot of places that I would like to live for an extended stay, but I can't quite imagine actually emigrating anywhere, with the possible exception of Vancouver, Canada. I lived in Japan for a couple of years, and DH lived in England -- both great places, but we couldn't live in either one permanently.

But I would love to live somewhere else for a while, in particular either China or Israel.

I have a couple.

We really, really loved Iceland. Our 5 year old till can't stop talking about it. We loved the thermal energy and the spring water and the belief in elvin folk!! Fascinating place that I feel realistically we could live for awhile.

However, a piece of my heart is in Cambodia and I would love, love, love, to go back and settle for awhile and go between there and Laos. The more developing places suit our fancy a bit more and we are not quite sure why....but feel it is for a reason or two, and I would love to find those reason out!

Oh....and Morocco, not because we loved it so, but just because I want to figure it out more.

e

But, Emeraldjoy, you almost live in Paradise already! I've been dreaming of living in Montana for years now - western Montana that is.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I like the idea of moving to New Zealand. My neighbours went 6 years ago and have loved it, they've managed to achieve so much more out there than they ever would have done here. They are really happy.

I like England to a point but I am tired of the constant rain and many other things. I have lived here all my life. I can't see us ever managing to move though as we don't have job backgrounds in areas that are wanted anywhere else.

Most of our friends have moved to Australia, so I've got a contact in every major city should we wish to move there. I really like what I saw when we visited. Although it has been hard for all of them, our friends have settled well and have all been welcomed in their communities.

Even though my sister has an Irish husband and has lived in his hometown for six years now, she will always be regarded as a 'blow-in' by the locals. It has been very difficult for her to make friends and as a foreigner she does not expect ever to be fully accepted (even by his family to be truthfull). I think that is true for other smaller communities as well. The social aspect was very unexpected and hard for her, expecially after leaving behind my other sister and a large circle of friends in London.

We were going to emigrate to the UK 3 years ago (job secured and visas arranged), but pulled out at the last minute due to dh's health issues. We're here to stay now. We've learned to appreciate what we have rather than dwell on everything that is bad about the country.

You bring up some really great points, Hannah. For one, my family moved to the eastern side of our state ten years ago, and we experienced the same thing as your sister when she moved to Ireland. With the exception of people at church that were warm and gracious to us, we were excluded from other things within the community -- especially employment opportunities for dh and setting up my own freelance business. We were literally black balled from a great number of things and had a miserable time trying to make a living. Social events in the community were quite obvious as well. I'm glad you brought this up, because here are many "closed" communities in the world that can make it very miserable for newcomers. In our case, we finally gave up and relocated again after 1.5 years because we had a hard time making a living and knew we'd never be allowed to fit in. Imagine how miserable it would be to relocate internationally and have this happen. Yikes!

Another point that really stood out in your post is that you've learned to appreciate what you have rather than dwell on everything that is bad about the country where you live. So many things are spiraling downward in the American culture, and at times it is hard to do that. Yet, even so, I see that keeping "a glass half-full" attitude is the best response to it all.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Just thought I would give my penny's worth.

We are from NZ and are currently on an extended vacation in the US. We are very happy and would very much like to stay here. Every country has its pros and cons. We have lived in a number of places in a number of continents.

We have spent quite a lot of our trip in Utah. We are not LDS but have found that the LDS influence takes off some of what people might consider the "edge" to American culture.

The resources for homeschooling are amazing and so accessible. Also the feeling of geographical isolation in NZ (with all its pros and cons) is a reality.

As an aside not all of NZ shakes but there are over 60 volcanoes in the N.island (or so I read), 40 in greater Auckland.... most suburbs are named after the volcano they sit on :-). And I do miss seeing Rangitoto (volcano in Auckland harbour) from just about any Auckland vantage point.

Julia

And oh, as far as the corporate world is considered I think what you say is pretty true of most countries now.

I have to disagree. Workers in France consistently protest against over-36 hr work weeks and pension cuts. Even students rally for pension rights. The level of income disparity between CEO and worker, between lower income and higher income, in the US is quite high compared to other industrialized nations.

I would move to a free country where the rights guaranteed by our Constitution are held by the people.

A nation where speech, thought and individual freedoms are guaranteed and protected.

A place where one can, through his own labor and effort, make something of himself.

A nation where the sweat of my brow will not be stolen by a government, after my death, (or even before it) and instead will go to its rightful owners, my children.

A nation such as the United States aspires to be.

I suppose there really is nowhere to go. If I left this nation I would necessarily be giving up rights and freedoms and stepping down not up.

Scotland: because the people are lovely, the country is lovely, and it looks like dh may be getting a job offer there soon.

It's been over 100 degrees here for a week. At night it barely gets down to 80. The AC in our van just gave out--again. We're in a record-breaking drought, and are fighting to keep our trees alive. Wildfires are constant: 3 million acres of the state have burned this year, and just yesterday sixty acres by our city burned.

Rain? You say there's rain? Remind me what that looks like again.

:iagree: I was going to post similar. I was at that 60 acre fire trying to keep the guys hydrated and something approaching normothermic. Dh and I went to Scotland and England on our honeymoon and loved it! Ooh! We're supposed to have a cool front come through next week -- highs in the mid-90s! Yee-haw.

:iagree: I was going to post similar. I was at that 60 acre fire trying to keep the guys hydrated and something approaching normothermic. Dh and I went to Scotland and England on our honeymoon and loved it! Ooh! We're supposed to have a cool front come through next week -- highs in the mid-90s! Yee-haw.
And you just know that not-quite-insanely-hot front will cause enough thunder to close the pools, but not a drop of actual rain.

Dh is in Scotland right now. He said there was a warm front and it was up to 68. He's sorry. :D