Menu

s/o soda thread - drinks in the South?

Okay, this is coming from a California girl, but the soda thread made me curious: is regular (i.e., non-sweetened) ice tea served regularly in the southern US?

I don't like either sweet tea or soda (and no sugar in my coffee, please!), so I usually get iced tea when I'm out. Just plain, black, cold tea. Mmm. Anyway, is that something I could get easily if I visited the South? the only place southernish I've visited recently is Texas, and that was awhile ago and I don't remember what I drank.

No ulterior agenda, just complete curiosity since I hear so much about sweet tea being the drink of choice down there. :)

HA! I moved from SoCal to NC and yes, I can't think of any place that doesn't offer sweet and unsweetened iced tea. In fact, most people who want sugar ask for "sweet tea." If you just say "tea" they will ask you, "sweet or unsweet?"

We never drank it before moving here and now DH and my youngest drink sweet tea. The rest of us don't usually, although occasionally I will ask for unsweet tea while out.

Dawn

If one wants unsweetened one really had to emphasize that request. Otherwise if one asks for tea one gets sweetened iced tea.

Definitely. I switched to unsweetened tea a few years ago. I regularly have to check, especially in drive-throughs, to be sure I actually got unsweetened tea (and that I got lemon, despite having asked for extra lemon). Make sure, if in a restaurant, when they come around for refills to be sure they don't give you sweet tea.

When I'm at my relatives' in south Georgia, sure you can get unsweetened tea, but like Chucki said, you really have to emphasize it. Sweet tea is by far the more common. And if you just say "tea" people will not ask, they'll assume you want sweet tea. I once witnessed my brother do a genuine spit take when someone brought him unsweetened tea unexpectedly. He was greatly offended.

If one wants unsweetened one really had to emphasize that request. Otherwise if one asks for tea one gets sweetened iced tea.

:iagree:

If you want something other than Lipton sweetened iced tea*, you'd better ask for it by name. (Similarly, asking for Coke only indicates you want bubbles in your drink. Ask for those by name too.)

* The kitchen is always happy to accommodate strange requests like this.

When I'm at my relatives' in south Georgia, sure you can get unsweetened tea, but like Chucki said, you really have to emphasize it. Sweet tea is by far the more common. And if you just say "tea" people will not ask, they'll assume you want sweet tea. I once witnessed my brother do a genuine spit take when someone brought him unsweetened tea unexpectedly. He was greatly offended.

Hee! How funny! Poor guy. It's awful to take a swig of something you weren't expecting.

And thanks, everyone for the answers. My curiosity is now satisfied!

As others have said, make sure to emphasize "unsweet" tea. I haven't encountered too many places in Mississippi where you can't find unsweet tea- if nothing else, some people want to use a sugar substitute or sweeten to taste.

Yes, you can get unsweetened tea in the South. Unfortunately, the North doesn't reciprocate and you can only get unsweetened tea. Blech.

Girlfriend, that's "sweet" and "unsweet," not "sweetened" and "unsweetened." Just sayin'...:D

You there Texans...y'all talk funny

:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I know, right? Even in Virginia where I grew up (and yes, Virginia IS THE SOUTH :glare:) I had never heard anyone say "y'alls," as in "I'll be y'alls waitress tonight." But Virginians do say sweet tea. :001_smile:

:iagree: I am a Georgia native, and I have lived in Georgia all my life except one year when I was a toddler. The bolded part above is absolutely true here. You can get unsweet tea here, but you have to request it specifically and speak clearly when you say it. :)

:lol::lol::lol:

I know, right? Even in Virginia where I grew up (and yes, Virginia IS THE SOUTH :glare:) I had never heard anyone say "y'alls," as in "I'll be y'alls waitress tonight." But Virginians do say sweet tea. :001_smile:

:lol: Hey, now, let's use correct punctuation here. I believe it would be "ya'll's". :lol: (We say it here in TN, too!)

I think that, in the south, sweet tea IS regular tea. If you want unsweetened, most places offer it... but you'd have to specify.

Yup :iagree:

Born and raised in south Mississippi. When we moved to Nashville it was a mini-shocker that MANY of the restaurants didn't offer sweet tea (that was 1996 - 1999), so maybe they've "reformed" and have gotten this taken care of by now.:) And, we're quite particular about our tea. When I order tea at say a drive through, I'll sip it and if it's not "correct" I order something else. We deep southerners (esp MS-ians) have a strong British heritage so maybe that's the tea obsession. FW(little)IW: I do not have a tea bag at my house (save the one in my first aid kit for wasp) because if I did I'd make sweet tea and get fat on it.......so it's too tempting for me. IN heaven, sweet tea will have no calories.

Edited by mhg

I am from So. Cal. and an in South Carolina. I used to drink my tea unsweetened in Calif. I am halfway converted..... I order mine half sweet, half unsweet. The sweet tea is too sweet for me. Most self serve soft drinks have both sweet and unsweet. You will have to make sure it is understood you want unsweetened since most here like sweetened.

Born and raised a Texas girl sweet tea is my favorite! Not just any ol sweet tea will do. The best is when the tea is still hot from being brewed and then LOTS of real sugar is added so that it melts right in.

Most everywhere serves both sweet and un-sweet. I have experienced the larger chain resturants either only serve un-sweetned and give you sugar packats, or ask you to clairify sweet or non. If you don't promptly announce what type you would like they ask.

There are some smaller "home town" places that only serve sweet tea. They can probably get away with that where the larger chains can not.

Oh and BIG OL CUPS are a must! Gotta have enough to wash down the vittles!

No. If you ordered tea in the south and they brought you unsweetened tea, I believe that's a hanging offense.

:lol::lol: Yep, that sums it up.

In NC tea IS sweetened tea. You have to "ask" for unsweetened. The default is sweetened. I go as much unsweetened as I can in tea and coffee. It's a splurge for me to drink anything sweetened! HTH!

Girlfriend, that's "sweet" and "unsweet," not "sweetened" and "unsweetened." Just sayin'...:D

:iagree:

:lol: Hey, now, let's use correct punctuation here. I believe it would be "ya'll's". :lol: (We say it here in TN, too!)

We say that in Alabama too.

Also, if they bring you unsweet tea with packets of sugar to add to it, just drink your water and don't bother with that tea. It's nasty that way. It doesn't get sweet properly, and it's all grainy unless you melt the sugar in when the tea is still hot.

Oh, dear...I'm going to have to disagree with a fellow GRITS (Girls Raised In The South): You must spell it "y'all," not "ya'll." It'a contraction for "you all," and the apostrophe is in the place of the letters left out. "Y'all," because you're leaving out "ou." See? And it would be y'alls, not y'all's, the way we spell "yours." See? Can't be killing any kitties. :D

Yes, we have sweet and unsweet tea here. It's nice to have options!

On another forum, where the members were probably equally divided between South and not-South, we had a discussion about sweet tea. The Southerners couldn't imagine how one might drink iced tea that was not sweet. I mean, they were rilly, rilly flummoxed. The not-Southerners patiently explained how you would pour your tea into your own glass and...add sugar. (That the sugar doesn't dissolve as nicely as it does when you make sweet tea by adding sugar while the water was still hot wasn't part of the discussion.) :blink:

:lol:

Oh, dear...I'm going to have to disagree with a fellow GRITS (Girls Raised In The South): You must spell it "y'all," not "ya'll." It'a contraction for "you all," and the apostrophe is in the place of the letters left out. "Y'all," because you're leaving out "ou." See? And it would be y'alls, not y'all's, the way we spell "yours." See? Can't be killing any kitties. :D

Oh, I can't believe I didn't notice that. You are quite correct! Putting the apostrophe after the A is one of my pet peeves, and yet I quoted that post without even noticing it tonight with my kids bouncing around me! lol I was agreeing that it could have an s on the end of it, as in "I'll get y'alls tea in a minute." and didn't look carefully enough at the apostrophes. I must not be quite myself tonight! :lol:

What about people like me who don't put any sugar in at all? I like the tart slightly bitter taste of plain iced tea.

No sugar at all is better than sugar which is added to tea once it is in a glass with ice. Tart is good, grainy is not. :D

I have to laugh when someone says that ordering unsweet tea is a "hanging offense", unheard of, gets weird looks, etc. Umm, really, have ya lived in the South lately?

I have lived in three states in the South in the last 8 years. My DH only drinks unsweet tea. He is always asked which he prefers, doesn't get any weird looks (hence the reason they ask is cuz they expect to hear one or the other) and has never not had the choice.

I think ya'll think we still live in the times of Scarlett O'Hara round here. I mean, guess there might be deep, deep country parts of the south where one could get "hung" for ordering unsweet tea, in reality, the South is no longer a part of the U.S. that wants to be seperated. Many, many, many people who live in the South are not actually from the south. Lots , and lots, and LOTS of transplants from the north, the west, etc, and most of us are no different than those of you who don't live in the South. Which means, sweet tea is not the absolute norm.

Also, if they bring you unsweet tea with packets of sugar to add to it, just drink your water and don't bother with that tea. It's nasty that way. It doesn't get sweet properly, and it's all grainy unless you melt the sugar in when the tea is still hot.

While I really don't like sweetener of any kind in my tea, it makes tons of sense to me that if you did like it, this would be the way to do it. It must be almost like you're making a simple syrup as you're making the tea?

I have to laugh when someone says that ordering unsweet tea is a "hanging offense", unheard of, gets weird looks, etc. Umm, really, have ya lived in the South lately?

I think it was just a joke. I realize that some people think we're kinda backward, but even in GA, we don't actually hang folks. ;)

How does Flannery O'Connor spell it? ;)

I just looked it up and you are right (according to the majority opinion), but I stand my ground that there should still be a second apostrophe for "y'all's waitress". :D

Everywhere I've been there is both sweet and unsweetened iced tea available. If only one is available, it's the unsweetened version.

:iagree: This has been my experience as well. And if just "tea" is ordered, the server has always asked "sweet" or "unsweet" to clarify.

:iagree: This has been my experience as well. And if just "tea" is ordered, the server has always asked "sweet" or "unsweet" to clarify.

Florida is kind of a weird limbo between the south and not the south. Most places tea means sweet, but there are some where they'll ask you. Also, ordering just "tea" means you want it iced. If you want it hot you have to specifically order hot tea.

Yes, you could get unsweetened tea in the south. That's what I order because I have grown to like it that way. Sweet tea is, IMO, way too sweet around here. Now, I do like sugar in my coffee. ;)

I have noticed a lot of what I would call real Southerners drinking sweet tea all the time. (as in not water) I'm not sure if this is a trend elsewhere.

Have to agree with the spelling of "y'all" (as a contraction of "you all"---like "he'll" for "he will"), and with the second apostrophe in the original example: "I'll be y'all's waitress." You wouldn't say, "I'll be yours waitress," but could say, "I'll be Joe and Mary's waitress." Now if you were saying, "That pecan pie is y'alls," to mean that pecan pie is yours, then I'm not so sure---what do y'all think?;)

Shall we tackle the usage of "yonder," "reckon," and "swoney" (rhymes with money, not sure how one would spell it if not this way, used to express amazement) next? :D

:iagree: It was a rather nasty shock for us when we moved down here from Michigan and ordered iced tea for the first time. Personally, I think sweet tea is from the devil, as are sweet pickles, but that's just me. :D You can get unsweet tea, though, you just have to be specific. The main issue I have is that the tea is brewed to be so STRONG. I think they have to sweeten it here because otherwise you can't stand to drink it! :lol: