Menu

Little girls and public restrooms

My dd decided to start using the potty a few days ago. As you can imagine, we are absolutely ecstatic about this. :)

The problem is public restrooms. How do you help your little girls sit on those huge (questionably sanitary) toilet seats? A long time ago, I thought I had seen foldable, portable seaties, but I can't find one.

Any advice or suggestions please?

We don't want to put a diaper on her to go out and she doesn't want to wear one either.

I just "band-aid" (DD's phrase) the toilet seat with toilet paper or the seat liners and sit her on the seat. I hold her so she doesn't fall in (or so she isn't afraid she'll fall in). I don't like carrying around folding seats or anything like that. It works.

I just "band-aid" (DD's phrase) the toilet seat with toilet paper or the seat liners and sit her on the seat. I hold her so she doesn't fall in (or so she isn't afraid she'll fall in). I don't like carrying around folding seats or anything like that. It works.

This is what we do. I've taught dd to put her hands on her knees so that she doesn't touch the toilet seat or anything else. I did carry diapers for a while, for the times that there was no public bathroom available or it was just waaaaaayyyy too nasty (public park :tongue_smilie:). Then she could wee right into the diaper as I held it under her.

Lisa

We also had a folding potty ring but found it to be a nuisance. If the seat looked particularly funky I've just held my dd over the seat to let her pee or I've squirted some hand sanitizer onto a piece of toilet paper and used that to quickly wipe down the seat before she sits. Typically though I just find it easier (aka: faster) to hold her over the seat and instruct her to not touch a single thing in really gross bathrooms.

I used the folding seat and really loved it!! My children were really small and completely freaked out if they had to pee on a port a potty. (me too!!) Since a lot of the places we go have only PAP's, this was a life saver for us!

Lara

These aren't what we had, but they look similiar

http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/CTGY/Folding-Potty-Seats.html

When they are JUST training, staying home is ideal. I did all my shopping at night for weeks when mine were training! We had an extra potty that stayed in the car for when we simply had to leave the house.

For a child recently trained, I would still carry a potty in the car and avoid the public restroom as much as possible. The seats are big, it's noisy, it's chaotic, if you move funny the electric flusher goes off and scares the carp out of you - - not a formula for success; it's too easy for fears to develop and possibly carry over.

After they trained, but were still too little to sit on the seat properly? Honestly, I never worried about it all that much. I crouched by the toilet and they held on to me, :tongue_smilie:. My kids are tiny and were too small for those seats for years and years. If we were out and about at public places, using public restrooms and what not, then I just made sure they had a thorough bath that evening, and that all the clothes went in the dirty hamper.

Look for family bathrooms in as many places as possible. They almost always have child size toilet and wipes available. Just wipe the seat down, dry with paper towel and then you can cover with TP if you want. Then they have child size sinks so your child can wash up well too. Plus all of the normal big people facilities and usually enough room for a shopping cart or stroller. Most places have them now.

We went ahead and bought a potty "ring" and happened to find a bag that fit it perfectly and that just kind of replaced the diaper bag. We just brought it along everywhere we went. My youngest was the most stubborn and I wasn't going to deal with her peeing down her leg b/c she was scared of the toilet. She was also the heaviest toddler and I doubt I could have held her over the toilet.

Seems like my kids don't mind pooping in public restrooms either, so the potty ring was comfortable enough for them to get the job done. (sorry if that's a bit crude ;))

something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-First-Years-Pooh-Soft-Potty-Seat/6487063

We would always use the Handicapped stall so dd could hold on to the bar. It made her feel much safer. Just make sure there isn't a big gap between the seat and the bowl. Little one's bladders have high pressure and it will result in wet shoes for Mommy.

:iagree: I forgot to add in my prev. post that we almost always use the handicapped stall because of the space and rails.

And I've gotten wet shoes more than once, so do watch where you put your feet!

Thanks for the fantastic ideas! I think I'll get a small hand sanitizer bottle, do the bandaid toilet and keep a little portable potty in the van for emergencies.

We never worried about my son because he just stood up and peed. Both my kiddos have always been very regular when it comes to BM's.

We've tried to "train" her a few months ago, but then just gave up for awhile since we didn't really care too much. Then the other day, out of the blue, she ran upstairs took off her diaper, sat on the toilet and went potty and she's been using it ever since without a single accident. :hurray:

We did the same.

The larger problem we've had is automatic flushers! My daughter is 9 and still hates them. A wonderful woman in a Disneyworld restroom shared a simple solution: Post-it notes! I keep a pack in my purse and we cover the sensor. No risk of early flushing!

Both of my dds would sit facing sideways on the seat rather than facing forward. When they were little I would stand close and have them hold my leg. If there is a handicap stall they can sit sideways and hold onto the metal bar. No one has fallen in (yet). :D

:iagree: This is exactly what we do!! We do have a folding seat that we used when she was smaller. It fit in a gallon sized ziploc baggy and I stuck it in her backpack.

Both of my dds would sit facing sideways on the seat rather than facing forward. When they were little I would stand close and have them hold my leg. If there is a handicap stall they can sit sideways and hold onto the metal bar. No one has fallen in (yet). :D

This is what my girls did, too.

We did the same.

The larger problem we've had is automatic flushers! My daughter is 9 and still hates them. A wonderful woman in a Disneyworld restroom shared a simple solution: Post-it notes! I keep a pack in my purse and we cover the sensor. No risk of early flushing!

Great tip!!! :001_smile:

Also, carrying around antibacterial flushable wipes is a lot easier than layering on a bunch of TP--especially when your child needs to go sooner rather than later.

I try to have her go in the van between errands. We have one of these that just slides underneath the seat in our van: POTTY

But if we get in a bind and she needs to go in a public bathroom, I wipe the seat off, set her on the side of the seat, and hold onto her. I use a seat cover if the bathroom has them. And I do use post it notes to cover the auto flush.

Public toilet seats don't freak me out. You have two options (both of which I've done with my kids):

1. Buy a potty ring and carry it around with you in a backpack to whip out when needed in the restroom. Pro's: Soft, 'clean' seat that fits her well and you know where it's been

Con's: Nasty gross seat you can never fully clean, that gets pee spatters on it, and that you have to carry around with you everywhere even when it's not been sanitized (and the seat itself touches the public toilet seat)

2. Help hold child on the potty or otherwise assist them until they can balance themselves (happens between 2-3 years old depending on the child). It really helps to remove their pants/shoes fully so that they can spread their legs for balance. Get used to redressing your child in the stall and don't make the mistake of pulling pants/shoes off in one swoop as that can wind up with shoes flying into the toilet bowl (happened here...ugh).

Pro's: No extra equipment needed

Con's: Child touches toilet seat with hands to balance, you have to undress/redress their bottom half until they're old enough to lean forward well to aim the pee back (or else risk spill over onto their clothes). In warm weather with less bulky clothing, undressing isn't as necessary or as much of an issue. But with thicker pants in winter it's too difficult to push them down far enough to get them out of range of the toilet.

I used to put the paper on the toilet seat and have the child sit sideways. They always held onto my legs.

Great tip about covering the sensor with postit notes! Wish I knew that 8 years ago! I still have one more lil one to go through this stage, so I'll keep it in mind.

I do exactly what Hopscotch67 and FloridaLisa do - line the seat w/paper and then hold her. She's 4 now and still afraid of falling in the toilet.

I wouldn't put diapers on her because it would insult her. I have carried an extra set of clothes in a ziplock bag though.

Denise

Gosh, maybe it's the part of the world I'm in, but there are some pretty nasty public restrooms around here. Some people wipe their tush and get it on the back of the toilet seat... Ewww.

We use paper towels to turn off the sink and wipe the door handle with the paper towel as we leave.

Growing up in a third world country makes one very careful of hygiene and to take extra precautions.

Folding seats are useless in my opinion. They bend easily (and my kids are lightweights!) and where does your child put their hands when they are on the potty? Mine always end up holding onto the edge of the seat. No thanks! I got one of the cushy potty seats with handles built in the sides from Wal-Mart, Target, etc for like $10. I got one with their favorite character (DD's was Elmo). I put it in a bag, along with some Clorox-type wipes to be able to sanitize it after being on a public toilet. Yes, slightly annoying to bring it in places with you, but worth the trade-off for me!

P

1. Buy a potty ring and carry it around with you in a backpack to whip out when needed in the restroom. Pro's: Soft, 'clean' seat that fits her well and you know where it's been

Con's: Nasty gross seat you can never fully clean, that gets pee spatters on it, and that you have to carry around with you everywhere even when it's not been sanitized (and the seat itself touches the public toilet seat)

I did the bolding.....that's exactly the reason I will not carry around one of those fold up potty seats. It grosses me out that I'd have to stick it back in the bag when it's been sitting ON the public toilet.