Menu

Speechless. "Three Cups of Tea" author, Mortenson, a fraud??

It may turn out that he's a fraud, but right now there's really not good evidence that he is. The most recent audited report from the CAI shows that 41% of donated money went toward building schools in Central Asia. That's certainly in line with other groups like this. Another huge chunk went toward outreach, education, and travel in the US. No surprise there either; if you donate to most famous humanitarian causes you can be sure that a lot of your money if going toward raising more money

The CAI certainly needs more financial openness and oversight though, but so do most humanitarian groups in Central Asia. There also has always been an appalling lack of follow-up on humanitarian projects here to be sure that they are doing what they are supposed to do.

These concerns really aren't limited to Greg Mortenson or the CAI. I could bring up many examples of money being wasted in Central Asia, by the UN, all sort of humanitarian groups, and especially the US military. There are many worse things happening in Afghanistan than someone misspending a few hundred thousand dolllars.

It may turn out that he's a fraud, but right now there's really not good evidence that he is. The most recent audited report from the CAI shows that 41% of donated money went toward building schools in Central Asia. That's certainly in line with other groups like this. Another huge chunk went toward outreach, education, and travel in the US. No surprise there either; if you donate to most famous humanitarian causes you can be sure that a lot of your money if going toward raising more money

The CAI certainly needs more financial openness and oversight though, but so do most humanitarian groups in Central Asia. There also has always been an appalling lack of follow-up on humanitarian projects here to be sure that they are doing what they are supposed to do.

These concerns really aren't limited to Greg Mortenson or the CAI. I could bring up many examples of money being wasted in Central Asia, by the UN, all sort of humanitarian groups, and especially the US military. There are many worse things happening in Afghanistan than someone misspending a few hundred thousand dolllars.

Though from the articles I've read it isn't just the money issue. It is sounding like a lot of the experiences he is claiming in the books are proving to be less than truthful. For example, the story of him being kidnapped by the Taliban cannot be substantiated. The picture of him with the Taliban and AK-47 is claimed by the men in the photo to be staged. They claim in another picture that Mortensen is holding the AK-47 and that none of them were Taliban or kidnapped anyone.

I'm withholding judgment until I get more information but what I've read so far is disturbing.

Though from the articles I've read it isn't just the money issue. It is sounding like a lot of the experiences he is claiming in the books are proving to be less than truthful. For example, the story of him being kidnapped by the Taliban cannot be substantiated. The picture of him with the Taliban and AK-47 is claimed by the men in the photo to be staged. They claim in another picture that Mortensen is holding the AK-47 and that none of them were Taliban or kidnapped anyone.

I'm withholding judgment until I get more information but what I've read so far is disturbing.

Yes, I agree that there are concerns about his life history. The kidnapping story always sounded far-fetched, and I think it's very likely that the account of Mortenson getting involved with building the school in Korphe is not entirely accurate. It does bother me that he might have made up a story like that, but I don't think it necessarily means Mortenson is a fraud in every way.

Even if he did make up stuff about his personal life, I'm still waiting to get a better look at how the money has been spent, especially in relation to the way money is spent by other similar groups in Central Asia. I don't really care if he wasn't kidnapped (in fact, I hope he wasn't, because I thought that account portrayed someone who was so foolish that I chose not to donate to the CAI because of that) or if he was in Korphe in 1993 or not, but whether the money he is collecting is being spent in a reasonable way. So far I don't see much evidence that it isn't, relatively speaking.

Just suppose for a moment - hypothetically - that he told major lies, but that the money raised was well used... It reminds me of a debate I heard about whether charities should be allowed to phone people asking for money, do doorknocks and especially have "charity muggers" (the ones people try to avoid on street corners). There is the argument that all these tactics are only used because people don't do the right thing and donate money without being harassed / tricked / pressured / encouraged to a certain extent. Although I would be angry if I'd contributed to something that was later shown to be built on lies.

Edited by Hotdrink

I think it is a huge deal. Not only was this book supposedly autobiographical (and thus non-fiction), but the 60 Minutes report showed that actual schools reported to have been built with money he and his organization received were not built by them or were not being used.

I don't know that 60 Minutes showed that the schools weren't built any more than CAI can show that they were. I'd be interested to know how 60 Minutes went about confirming that the schools weren't there or had been built by someone else. It's a lot more complicated than showing up at some of the schools with an interpreter and asking whether CAI gave them money. I hope more details about 60 Minutes information is released.

It's unfortunate that there is no organization that can verify the claims of CAI (or any other aid group in Central Asia). It would be great if there were something like the Better Business Bureau that could certify NGOs and check on them when there were complaints. I honestly don't think that's feasible right now though. I can't even imagine the logistics of organizing such a thing, although I think it would be valuable (and very informative). The US government runs into the same problem; it gives money to all sorts of groups in Central Asia and very little follow-up is done.

Again, I think it's entirely possible there is fraud going on. But based on the current evidence, I don't see much proof that there is.

I am on the CAI's mailing list. I received an email from Greg saying that he chose not to speak with 60 Minutes because of their hostile approach to him while doing the story. But there is supposed to be a response on his website and in his local newspaper. I haven't had time to read them yet.

He also said he's been dealing with low oxygen saturation for the past year and has just been diagnosed with a hole in his heart, for which he will be having surgery very soon. He is supposed to be providing more information after his recovery.

:mad: sounds like there are a few issues at play here.

1. is he mismanaging funds? If so was it intentional or is he just lousy at managing money?

2. Did he lie about the experiences he claimed as true? If so was he encouraged to embellish by someone along the line (co-writer, publishers, etc...)?

This will be interesting to see play out, we just read Three Cups of Tea for school. This might be a valued follow-up study for my ds. Regardless his intentions, there is some character issue going on here. I'll reserve opinion until I see more facts.

Just suppose for a moment - hypothetically - that he told major lies, but that the money raised was well used... It reminds me of a debate I heard about whether charities should be allowed to phone people asking for money, do doorknocks and especially have "charity muggers" (the ones people try to avoid on street corners). There is the argument that all these tactics are only used because people don't do the right thing and donate money without being harassed / tricked / pressured / encouraged to a certain extent. Although I would be angry if I'd contributed to something that was later shown to be built on lies.

If harassing people to "do the right thing" is valid, then who gets to decide when you've done enough? How does a person who wants to give decide who to give to, if lies and trickery are allowable? Do you give the government free rein to lie and bully as well, as long as the politicians think it benefits somebody else? I'm sure they already do to some extent, but I try to work against that, not excuse it. That is a slippery, dangerous slope.

This one really burns me. I do a lot of work with Human trafficking, the fastest growing and second biggest illegal business in the world (second only to drug trafficking....for now anyway). Yep...H-u-m-a-n trafficking. I don't care if he was somewhat untruthful....I just don't. I only wish we would spend as much energy going after people who pay to have sex with 5 years olds.....or the chocolate companies who regularly use children to harvest their cocoa beans.......or the many, many folks in America who use the services of 12 year old "prostitutes".....

Geesh...leave the guy alone, at least he is trying to make the world a better place.

e

This one really burns me. I do a lot of work with Human trafficking, the fastest growing and second biggest illegal business in the world (second only to drug trafficking....for now anyway). Yep...H-u-m-a-n trafficking. I don't care if he was somewhat untruthful....I just don't. I only wish we would spend as much energy going after people who pay to have sex with 5 years olds.....or the chocolate companies who regularly use children to harvest their cocoa beans.......or the many, many folks in America who use the services of 12 year old "prostitutes".....

Geesh...leave the guy alone, at least he is trying to make the world a better place.

e

If the allegations against Mortenson are true, then I don't think he should be "left alone." If they are true, he is a fraud and a thief.

I heard today on the news that in 15 years there was only one audited statement from the charity.

Makes you wonder why.

I don't feel that I can make a judgment yet, based on the information available. Particularly since 60 minutes is the main critic of CAI/GM--they are not exactly a credible news organization in my mind.

It seems to me that the two major issues in question are 1) CAI's support of Greg's speaking engagements, and 2) the veracity of his accounts. Re: the first point--I can definitely see how CAI's advertising of Greg & Three Cups would be to their advantage, and I hope everything was done legally. The 2nd point would be a problem for me, but I think American reporters might not be able to go into Afghanistan/Pakistan and get a lot of credible information. Trust has to be built, and that takes time--which is the whole point of Three Cups. So I'm not sure what would be the most effective way to validate the Korphe story, among others...and I'm not sure one man saying, "that's me in that picture--I didn't kidnap him" is enough evidence to throw the entire story out.

If the allegations are true, I do feel that corrections need to be made, However, I hope Greg's work can continue, with or without him....and if 60 Minutes is wrong, it could be devastating. Since the fate of thousands of girls hinges on this story, I wish they would have been more thorough.

If the allegations against Mortenson are true, then I don't think he should be "left alone." If they are true, he is a fraud and a thief.

Yeah, probably right that he shouldn't be "left alone"...definitely my emotions speaking. Still, I am very frustrated with what I see as "hyperfocus".....and how quick folks are to jump on the bandwagon without detailed information. I have spent quite a lot of time overseas and know first hand how easy it is for missionary and NGO organizations to be corrupt. I am still going to maintain, though, that our focus should be (at least as much) on truely evil practices such as sex traffickers.

e

If the allegations are true, then money that could have gone to help fight the problems of the world just got sucked down a fraud hole. And for the record, I agree with you. We need to put a stop to human trafficking. It is a HUGE problem, but it is also why if this proves true, I'm even more ticked off. Fraud cases help folks justify their decisions not to contribute.

Edited by Daisy

Yeah, probably right that he shouldn't be "left alone"...definitely my emotions speaking. Still, I am very frustrated with what I see as "hyperfocus".....and how quick folks are to jump on the bandwagon without detailed information. I have spent quite a lot of time overseas and know first hand how easy it is for missionary and NGO organizations to be corrupt. I am still going to maintain, though, that our focus should be (at least as much) on truely evil practices such as sex traffickers.

What can I do to help fight human trafficking? Can you recommend an organization that needs support?

Thanks.

I just heard this interview on NPR: http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2011/04/19/three-cups-deceit

It's a little more sympathetic to Mortenson than the '60 Minutes' story is. And for an added bonus, she uses the word "kerfluffle."

On a personal note, I hope the money was used wisely. My kids saved up their pennies when our library did a penny drive for them. They donated A's much as they could find. I'd be incredibly sad if their hard work didn't go where they expected it to.

I just heard this interview on NPR: http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2011/04/19/three-cups-deceit

It's a little more sympathetic to Mortenson than the '60 Minutes' story is. And for an added bonus, she uses the word "kerfluffle."

On a personal note, I hope the money was used wisely. My kids saved up their pennies when our library did a penny drive for them. They donated A's much as they could find. I'd be incredibly sad if their hard work didn't go where they expected it to.

:lol: at the bolded part. Oh, I hope so too. It would just be so damaging if what 60 minutes says is true. I hope that it comes out that they were wrong.

What I don't understand is why is this coming out now? It has been almost twenty years since this all started. It is my understanding that Krakauer (sp?) withdrew his support nine years ago because of suspicions of this whole thing. So why has it taken so long for questions to be asked?

I also heard, on NPR?, that he may be facing a defamation lawsuit. One of the men he claimed was part of the "Taliban" group that kidnapped him for 8 days was actually one of the hosts/guides that was showing him around the area. The picture taken with the AK47 was actually this man and his cousins showing this American the sights. I guess he works for some think tank and had no idea he was in the book being shown as a kidnapper. I suspect there will be more coming out about this whole situation. It's unfortunate because it looks like he has done a lot of good things but has also made some bad decisions.

I'm also in the camp that is reserving judgment until more comes to light.

One thing about Mortenson that struck me years ago, is that he seems to be a romantic scatterbrain, someone who is probably not good with managing money. I don't know, though. That was just my impression.

The other problem for me is why would he go so public if his intention was ultimately to steal? If I were planning to do so, I wouldn't want publicity.

Regarding the photo with the Taliban, did he formerly say he was kidnapped by them or did he say he was detained? In his response to the investigation he says he was detained.

I'm also in the camp that is reserving judgment until more comes to light.

One thing about Mortenson that struck me years ago, is that he seems to be a romantic scatterbrain, someone who is probably not good with managing money. I don't know, though. That was just my impression.

The other problem for me is why would he go so public if his intention was ultimately to steal? If I were planning to do so, I wouldn't want publicity.

Regarding the photo with the Taliban, did he formerly say he was kidnapped by them or did he say he was detained? In his response to the investigation he says he was detained.

Krakauer wrote:

In most of these interviews, Mortenson has distilled

the story into an attention-grabbing sound bite. During an

appearance on CBS Evening News on October 23, 2008, for

example, he said of the experience, “I was kidnapped for

eight days in Waziristan by the Taliban.†In a two-minute

promotional video posted on the website of his book publisher,

Penguin, Mortenson was slightly more loquacious: “I

got kidnapped by the Taliban for eight days…. It was quite a

frightening experience. The first three days, all I could think

about is they might take me outside at any moment and finish

me off.â€

There are several more pages in Krakauer's report about the kidnapping.

Not emeraldjoy (and I'm interested to know what she recommends), but our church supports International Justice Mission. The leader (founder?) spoke at our church. Yowza.

~Laura

Thanks, Laura.

Interestingly, if you go to byliner.com to get Krakauer's article (which is free 'til the 20th) it reads that all proceeds of his article (once it is no longer free, I assume) will go an org called stop girl trafficking project.

What a strange coincidence.

ETA: I corrected my sentence. The organization is to STOP girl trafficking. I am so sorry I flubbed it.

Edited by unsinkable

International Justice Mission is an amazing, amazing, amazing organization. They are wise is how they combat it.

Depending on where you live, there may be a local group you can become involved with.

I always say the first step is awareness and simply gaining of knowledge. For example, do you know where you coffee beans come from, or the chocolate you buy? What about new cotton clothes....those are three biggies, but so much more. I recently read blueberries from.....blanking..Nicaragua?mabye......are picked by little, ittty bitty fingers for 20 hours a day. In America our dollars speak volumes. Just imagine if everyone stopped buying m&m's until the company guaranteed not to use slave chocolate......?

and....surprisingly, the US is a huge perpetuator of the problem, especially sex trafficking. Big events such as the super Bowl are huge venues for underage girls and boys both from US and other places to be brought through underground circuits...makes me cringe.

I know off topic, sorry.

I was just reading about that frackus before this story broke. Yes, it sounds very similar.
I'm more concerned about potential mismanagement of funds donated to his charity. The lack of accountability is appalling, whether he is well meaning or not.

Not emeraldjoy (and I'm interested to know what she recommends), but our church supports International Justice Mission. The leader (founder?) spoke at our church. Yowza.

~Laura

IJM is a great organization! Was it Gary Haugen who spoke at your church? He was my oldest son's football coach this year, and we were so impressed by him. Really neat guy, and an EXCELLENT football coach!

Was it Gary Haugen who spoke at your church? He was my oldest son's football coach this year, and we were so impressed by him. Really neat guy, and an EXCELLENT football coach!
:svengo:I would be doing that at every football game :D He is my most favorite person in the whole world. I caught a 2 minute clip of him on the radio 6 years ago and it turned my world upside down. IJM is amazing and Haugen is my hero :001_cool:

It is interesting and good to know that his friends consider him a nice guy.

I'm just not sure it is good enough.

Fictionalizing your life story in order to make money for your charitable organization, as well-meaning as it may be, just isn't right, imo.

I hope the truth, either way, comes out clearly.

There's a good round-up of articles and commentary here:

http://zunguzungu.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/laffaire-mortenson-reactions-and-commentary/

The most d*mning criticism to me is the claim that many (or even most) of the schools built by his organization stand empty and were never used. Apparently, they don't staff schools or stock them - they just build buildings?

Why, exactly, did we ever think that Mortenson’s model for education, exemplified in his Central Asia Institute (CAI), was going to work? Its focus was on building schools — and that’s it. Not a thought was spared for education quality, access, or sustainability. But building schools has never been the answer to improving education…Over the last 50 years of studying international development, scholars have built a large body of research and theory on how to improve education in the developing world. None of it has recommended providing more school buildings, because according to decades of research, buildings aren’t what matter. Teachers matter. Curriculum matters. Funding for education matters. Where classes actually take place? Not really.