Menu

Michelle Duggar is expecting # 18

I am so happy for them. Yahoo!! I really wish and pray that I can have more. The answer is no or not right now from Him. I have total 6 but lost 3 to miscarriages/ectopic pregnancy.

I am very happy to hear the news about the Duggar family!

Holly

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**stroking chin**Bull whip...interesting. Haven't tried that one yet. Yet.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we can find someone to sell them for a group discount. My DS really needs something this week.

I cannot fathom though how long HER boobs must be. I've only had 4 babies and mine are awful. I never knew books could even get long.

I am reading through all of these responses and about hit the floor when I read yours.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm happy for them. The worlds needs more good people and the Duggers have what it takes to raise Godly children.

I hope she does ok. Pregnancy isnt easy on a woman, I worry about her health....

I'm looking at the pictures of the house, and this is how they do it: They don't have to pay for things like Chuck E. Cheese's!

:lurk5:

I think you are right. With all the money I pay for things like eating out, movies, etc...perhaps we could afford a bigger house. Regardless, I really like the Duggars. I think they are just the neatest family.

I'm just concerned for her uterus. Seriously. To me, it's not just how many kids she has but the fact she has them so close together.

My mother, who spent 35 years as a Labor and Delivery nurse, says the same thing. A woman's uterus cannot just expand and contract that many times without a lot of wear and tear. Mom took care of a woman once whose uterus burst during labor with baby # 16. She bled to death. It was pretty horrific.

Astrid (Mother of one, so I guess she's 18 times the mother I am!)

I'm happy for them. The worlds needs more good people and the Duggers have what it takes to raise Godly children.

I hope she does ok. Pregnancy isnt easy on a woman, I worry about her health....

I just keep thinking of the movie Cheaper by the Dozen:

"Well, uh, after the sixth one,

they just kind of walked out."

I only birthed three of mine and I have never sneezed the same. :D

I know quite a few woman with 10+ kids and one of my good friends in NH had 14, plus numerous MC and I know of a few woman with 17+ children. I know I have only had 10 so far :D, but I am in better shape now that when I had 5 kids and the only time I bled heavy was after my 5th. The body is an amazing machine.

How does having a larger number of children make a woman an 'amazing' mother, or twice the mother as someone with fewer children?

I agree. My mom birthed 5 children, but she wasn't a mother to us really. I think she tried with my older siblings but ran out of energy or sanity or love by the time me and my nearest brother came along.

I know quite a few woman with 10+ kids and one of my good friends in NH had 14, plus numerous MC and I know of a few woman with 17+ children. I know I have only had 10 so far :D, but I am in better shape now that when I had 5 kids and the only time I bled heavy was after my 5th. The body is an amazing machine.

I"m not denying that. But at some point, I'd be concerned about the toll all this is taking on my body. Not like I'm really entitled to an opinion, having had only one pregnancy/one child.

I mean, I certainly take it when someone muses how hard I must work with five kids, and anyone with more than that gets a hat tip from me, just because of the logistics, etc...but it doesn't necessarily follow suit that someone's a good mother, just because they have a lot of kids.

Says the woman with 'only' five, who feels like she drops the ball more often than not. :tongue_smilie:

My vote is for Jacqueline or Jasper.

The names they have are just too similar. Joy-anna, Johannah, Jana, really? Talk about tongue twisters!

I have nothing against the quiverfull mindset, but I believe in zero population growth, and we are stopping at 2 children. (although we may adopt in the future :grouphug:).

My vote is for Jacqueline or Jasper.

The names they have are just too similar. Joy-anna, Johannah, Jana, really? Talk about tongue twisters!

How about Juno? Juniper? Jewel?

Or for a boy; Jabez? Jaheem?

They seriously need some snazzier names around there.

What an amazing, beautiful, beautiful family!

I have 5 and around my town, I feel like an anomoly! People always stare and act almost like there is something wrong with us. I hate that. But I love my brood and always admire large families. I wish I knew more big families...maybe I would be brave enough to have a 6th little one. We weren't very wise financially though, so we have quite a bit of debt and our house couldn't hold another person.

Well, I can always admire families like Quivers and the Duggars! :)

The most amazing thing about the Duggars is the fact that they live debt-free. The built that house themselves, WITHOUT going in to debt. It's all paid off. They went through some seminar that I can't seem to remember. It was a Vision Forum set, I believer. JimBob was a Senator. And, yes, they do get compensated rather nicely for all the shows they are on...TLC especially. They are not perfect...just looks that way on film. She just always seems so pleasant and "together" and organized. My dh is jealous that they live debt free and can do so much more than we can and we have 1/3 the number of children they have! I try to tell him it's the compensation. My comment earlier on about being half the mom she is, is coming from a few weeks of feeling really beaten down and being rather hard on myself. Those of us with less children are certainly NOT less of a mother just b/c we have less children or are not as organized or "with it", etc. Anj probably said it the best in her post and I hope it was an encouragement to us all. God has blessed each of us with the children that HE wanted us to have and thus had equipped each of us with what we need to care for and raise and teach them. Those tough days? If you listen carefully (and I'm not really good at this), you can hear God telling you to lean harder on Him. Remember: God does not call the equipped...He equips the called! Happy early Mother's Day to the very best group of Mom's I know!

Whispering to myself

Stay away that thread. Don't talk about her hair. Don't talk about the ugly soda fountain in their dining room. Don't talk about the weird commercial kitchen. Do not talk about tator tot casserole.

Do not go there. Do not go there. Just close the thread and walk away.

Oh, I can't help myself. I think they are odd.

Though I would like to have their playroom with the slide entrance. That is cool.

But I still think they......oh never mind.

Ducking. Running for my life.

How exciting for them to be having another sweet baby!

I cannot fathom though how long HER boobs must be. I've only had 4 babies and mine are awful. I never knew books could even get long.

Obviously doesn't affect a guy's interest though, heh? :)

Whispering to myself

Stay away that thread. Don't talk about her hair. Don't talk about the ugly soda fountain in their dining room. Don't talk about the weird commercial kitchen. Do not talk about tator tot casserole.

Do not go there. Do not go there. Just close the thread and walk away.

Oh, I can't help myself. I think they are odd.

Though I would like to have their playroom with the slide entrance. That is cool.

But I still think they......oh never mind.

Ducking. Running for my life.

Well, while their lifestyle may not be for everyone, what I love about them is how happy they seem to be.

Their children are healthy, the parents still want more dc (that to me is amazing in itself)....they seem to ooze contentment and love. I know they're not perfect but that their heart is for the Lord and the children seem happy....I can't stop watching the video clips or reading about them. I think they are just beautiful.

I don't know if I could handle that many dc, but I would like to have their focus for the Lord. From what I've read about how they run their household, I'd like to learn more from them and have a similiar focus. I just find them incredibly inspiring. I may not dress my girls in the same fashion but I do find the idea of dressing alike to foster cohesiveness, a neat idea. So, to me, a lot of their ideas are really quite fascinating.

Wow. I needed to hear that today. Having more children does not make one a better mother at all. Not that I think Michelle Duggar is so much better than I. Her and I have very different parenting philosophies and I imagine we disagree on much more. But if they want to keep having kids, more power to them.

Still the fact that she weans early does bother me. It's one thing to wean because you have to for medical reasons or whatever, but just to get pregnant again? Perhaps someone could explain the thinking behind that and I would understand better. I'm sure there is more to it than that, and I imagine it's none of my business. (I also am not a fan of her old hairstyle, I wonder where she finds the time... and tater tot casserole makes my stomach turn, but I am pregnant so that's part of it.) I have gotten ideas about time management from her site, I just ignore the discipline stuff (I practice attachment parenting so it doesn't apply for me).

I know of people who automatically tell me, when I talk about something cool my children and I enjoyed doing together or when I mention a hard day, that "well I have more kids than you, so..." It's nice to be reminded that number of kids doesn't make one a better or worse parent. (Funny, I never thought that people with less kids are worse parents. Wonder why I took those comments from mothers of more than me so personally.) I also know some moms of more than I who are very understanding when I have a rough day and help me chase my baby at the library (being 8 months pregnant with a bad pubic symphysis doesn't help one chase a toddler).

Thanks for the reminder.

I also think that the Duggars are so lucky to have so many children and none of them with special needs. I pray that trend continues.

As far as J names, what about Jodi, Josephine, Jolene... You could always shorten to Jo.

:001_smile:

Jo

mother of three, almost four

How about Juno? Juniper? Jewel?

Or for a boy; Jabez? Jaheem?

They seriously need some snazzier names around there.

I'll bet that they're NOT going with the name of last year's hottest pregnant teen movie character ;)

Quiver, do any of your kids have learning issues or any other special needs? I have 4 kids and wanted more but dh was done. I am going through a mini-crisis with one of my kids - a medical/chemical issue. I'm really glad right now that we did stop because I feel stretched so thin trying to be a good mom to my kids right now. I love babies and children, too, and always admired moms of many. But I wonder now how in the world you all do it when you have 1 or 2 kids struggling or they develop a medical issue?

I'm all for debt-free, but let's be fair. You cannot build a house like that debt-free unless you've made a lot of money at some point.

I hear a lot of people talk about living debt-free, about how they bought a house without a mortgage and so on. But, when I look a little deeper, I see the reason why. Someone gave them land to build a house on, someone made a ton of money in real estate or the stock market, some got an inheritance.

You just cannot go plop down $200,000 or more working like the average Joe.

I know people who can live in grand houses and live quite comfortably debt-free. Why is this more virtuous than those who don't make as much who have to have a mortgage? (I am not saying the Duggars don't fit this, BTW).

What I find virtuous is seeing people work hard and choose to live a lifestyle which makes them not rely on the money others earn.

Guest Shanna

Michelle is an amazing woman. But as someone else said she has her faults just like the rest of us. The whole family is wonderful. I have never met more hospitable people in my life.

Praise the Lord for another blessing that will be brought up for His glory and namesake!!!!

I'm all for debt-free, but let's be fair. You cannot build a house like that debt-free unless you've made a lot of money at some point.

I hear a lot of people talk about living debt-free, about how they bought a house without a mortgage and so on. But, when I look a little deeper, I see the reason why. Someone gave them land to build a house on, someone made a ton of money in real estate or the stock market, some got an inheritance.

You just cannot go plop down $200,000 or more working like the average Joe.

I know people who can live in grand houses and live quite comfortably debt-free. Why is this more virtuous than those who don't make as much who have to have a mortgage? (I am not saying the Duggars don't fit this, BTW).

What I find virtuous is seeing people work hard and choose to live a lifestyle which makes them not rely on the money others earn.

Thank you for saying this. I think that it is a very good point. While of course it is best to live within your means, and while being debt-free is absolutely something worthwhile to strive for, being debt-free does not equal moral superiority. I'm not saying anyone in this thread is saying as such, because I don't think that they are, but I have seen it thrown around on other sites. Life throws curve-balls: one of the biggest reasons behind bankruptcies in the US is medical bills. In the modern economy, no job is secure. My husband just spent 3 months unemployed, and though we had saved for that we did have to dip into our credit cards. In the area that I live, a "starter house" will cost you at least $300k: if you want a starter house in a nicer town with good schools you're looking at spending $500k.

The Duggars may be debt-free, but they also make a great deal of money. In all honesty, I think that they're rather disingenuous: they get paid a lot of money to give talks about being debt-free! My understanding is that a lot of their furniture, their cars, most of their clothes, and even some of their food are donations from either their church or the Discovery Channel. They are literally the poster-family for the "Quiverful" movement, and leaders of the movement invest in them to make a lifestyle with a lot of kids look a lot easier than it is for most people.

Again, I'm not saying that being debt-free isn't ideal, I'm just saying that they are not in a normal financial situation, and it's about as reasonable to aspire to their financial situation as it is to aspire to be an airbrushed size 000 model in a magazine.

Thank you for saying this. I think that it is a very good point. While of course it is best to live within your means, and while being debt-free is absolutely something worthwhile to strive for, being debt-free does not equal moral superiority. I'm not saying anyone in this thread is saying as such, because I don't think that they are, but I have seen it thrown around on other sites. Life throws curve-balls: one of the biggest reasons behind bankruptcies in the US is medical bills. In the modern economy, no job is secure. My husband just spent 3 months unemployed, and though we had saved for that we did have to dip into our credit cards. In the area that I live, a "starter house" will cost you at least $300k: if you want a starter house in a nicer town with good schools you're looking at spending $500k.

The Duggars may be debt-free, but they also make a great deal of money. In all honesty, I think that they're rather disingenuous: they get paid a lot of money to give talks about being debt-free! My understanding is that a lot of their furniture, their cars, most of their clothes, and even some of their food are donations from either their church or the Discovery Channel. They are literally the poster-family for the "Quiverful" movement, and leaders of the movement invest in them to make a lifestyle with a lot of kids look a lot easier than it is for most people.

Again, I'm not saying that being debt-free isn't ideal, I'm just saying that they are not in a normal financial situation, and it's about as reasonable to aspire to their financial situation as it is to aspire to be an airbrushed size 000 model in a magazine.

:iagree:

Since I am forbidden from giving you anymore rep until I spread the love, I will just stand here and hold this sign.:iagree:

You know, I just have to add a few more of my thoughts on the quiverfull movement as I've heard it called. Our family is surrounded by quiverfull people. We meet with them on Sundays. I receive magazines which focuses on the quiverfull mindset.

I am honestly not oppsed in the least bit to people being of a quiverfull mind. But, I have to say that I see people treating it almost like a religion or as proof of spirituality.

Just a few weeks ago, a family we know of lost their daughter by suicide. The elder at our house church was praying and said, "Lord, we don't understand this. They were a homeschooling family, a large family . . ." My husband and I were discussing this after the meeting. Does he actually think that those families who choose to have as many children as they can are more special than those of us who choose to limit our family size to what my husband can provide for? Does he actually believe that there should be more protection from this sort of thing? Does he actually believe that there children would be more godly than the children from families that limit their family size?

We have observed that the # of children a family has does equate to a greater spirituality to many of these quiverfull moms and dads. This really bothers us. We are getting kind of tired of it to tell you the truth. We are sick of people asking us when we're going to have more, or have we decided to stop having children. Their faces show such great disappointment. Why do I constantly have to explain to people why we don't strive for a quiverfull?

It seems with the people we know, family size is the end-all and the runner-up is moving to the country. That's another question we get all the time. So, when are you moving to the country?

It's like it's a social club and we just don't fit the membership requirements. Many of these families are living way beyond their means and the fathers cannot adequately provide for their own households. For some reason, these things just don't matter. It seems to all boil down to how many children you have and where you live.

My husband and I try very hard to walk in a manner worthy of the calling of our Lord Jesus Christ. We try hard to train up our children in the way they should go. We have great fruit in our oldest. My husband deals with integrity in his business dealings, on his taxes, and so forth. But. We don't have the qualifications to truly fit in with the quiverfull people we know because we don't measure up in family size, and now because we don't live in the country.

There is another family that meets with us. They are now talking about moving to the country, having the husband not renew his military term and so forth. It's like there's this vacuum sucking people in!

Originally Posted by pmegan

I'll bet that they're NOT going with the name of last year's hottest pregnant teen movie character

Ding, ding, ding.

I was waiting for someone to make the connection.

But that name is so ......stylish, doncha think?;)

:confused: Who would that be?

That family is so inspiring. 18 kids, all HS, and all very well mannered. She's so organized and on top of things. I wish I could be like her. I also wish DH was more like the dad too :P

:iagree: Thank you.

Quiver, do any of your kids have learning issues or any other special needs? I have 4 kids and wanted more but dh was done. I am going through a mini-crisis with one of my kids - a medical/chemical issue. I'm really glad right now that we did stop because I feel stretched so thin trying to be a good mom to my kids right now. I love babies and children, too, and always admired moms of many. But I wonder now how in the world you all do it when you have 1 or 2 kids struggling or they develop a medical issue?

Well when our 7th was 6 weeks old we were told he was blind ( by pediatric eye specialist at a major specialty hospital) and we believe he was healed through a miracle. The same eye specialist told us not even 2 weeks later, through tears, that he could see.

My 8th was born with Hirschsprung's disease and had a 6 inch section of his colon removed at 4 days old. he has never had any issues since and was able to stop his twice yearly Children's Hospital visits when we moved to Maine.

The above child is the one who just started having seizures and allso has some undiagnosed learning issues. We think he is dyslexic and he has been in speech theraphy for 2 years.

For us, we believe the Lord opens and closes the womb and we believe each child is a gift. We also believe the Lord doesn't give us more than we can handle.

Obviously the Lord think smore of me than I do :)

From what I have heard, and I don't know the Duggars and haven't met them even though I live not 25 minutes from them LOL, is that they bought real estate years ago and now rent that real estate out. From what I understand most of it is commercial properties, which would bring in a decent monthly income.

Also, they rented a 3 bedroom house until the 15th? was due. I don't remember, but when I first started watching shows @ them, they were living in a rented 3 bedroom and then they did a show @ them building the house. I would assume while renting a small house they were saving money.

I believe they do make money from the TV shows and all, but I think alot if hard work too.

You know, I just have to add a few more of my thoughts on the quiverfull movement as I've heard it called. Our family is surrounded by quiverfull people. We meet with them on Sundays. I receive magazines which focuses on the quiverfull mindset.

I am honestly not oppsed in the least bit to people being of a quiverfull mind. But, I have to say that I see people treating it almost like a religion or as proof of spirituality.

I have to agree with you. I meet alot of people online who automatically assume I am very religous and a great mom. Just because I birthed 10 kids?

I struggle daily in my walk with the Lord and I wish I could be more like the Michelle Duggars of this world, but I am far from what she appears to be on her TV shows. I don't know what defines a good mom. I am a much better mom than MY mom, but I am sure there are tons of better ones out there than me. I am impatient and yell at my kids. I also spend way too much time on this comptuer LOL. And that's just the things I will admit to you, there are alot of other faults.

To the making it a religion, I agree there too. When Dh and I got married we belonged to a church that was very legalistic and they preached against birth control. This is where we got convited to be QF. I still hold my QF conviction, but at the time we were there, it did seem the more kids you had the holier you were and the holier people assumed you were. I know nothing could be further from the truth.

They also preached the more $ you had the holier you must be. I guess DH and I must be heathens after all. :D

Doesn't weaning them so young go against the natural child-spacing that God has provided?

I mean, really. Wean your newborn so that you can have another? She doesn't sound like Mother of the Year to me.

I don't know why I am defending her, because as I have said I don't know her, buuuut I keep hearing the weaning thing and I have never actually read or saw that anywhere. There are plenty of woman who get thier cycle back while breastfeeding.

Guest Amy in MS

Hi Dawn,

{I am honestly not oppsed in the least bit to people being of a quiverfull mind. But, I have to say that I see people treating it almost like a religion or as proof of spirituality.}

Exactly. I have seen too many people try to follow Full-Quiver because it was holy and the only way to prove that you were godly and trusting God with your body. That's the FullQuiver Movement--the more the better. I've seen too many people give it up and suffer because they couldn't do it any more, for physical reasons, or that they had children with special needs, and their faith was destroyed.

I've also seen a family have 5 children, the last 3 deaf and blind, and two have recently died (at the ages of 18 and 21) due to heart complications that go along with their condition. They kept having them until the 5th because they felt it was sinful not to. Then, they stopped. Then they really felt horrible.

Whatever else may be said, very likely Michelle Duggar probably thinks anyone who tries to limit their procreative abilities is beneath her in terms of trust in God.

However, if her children are happy and healthy and her family is healthy, good on her. I just won't let the FullQuiver mentality make me feel any less loved by God because I have chosen to have fewer children.

But, Dawn. I feel for ya. I can't be around QuiverFull folk. I wanted to be FQ for a while and hung around with quite a few of them, but my husband and I decided against it, and now, knowing how they feel about nonQF, it's just too uncomfortable. (Of course, they would probably say I'm being convicted about my sin.) <grin>

Amy

Guest Shanna

They are all about living with what the Lord gives. We knew them back when they were living in their house that was bulldozed. Most people are just seeing the big house and all the nice stuff and think they just make tons of money. When in reality the choose to only shop thrift sores, only buy used cars, lived in a house that was quite small (we have been there more than once with 100 people in that house) in order to have the money they wanted/needed to live the life they live.

I also agree that QF can be made into a religion but I also believe it is sad that our country has come to the point that we dont welcome all the children the Lord chooses to give us.

My absolute favorite person who talks about this is Voddie Baucham. If you have never heard him you HAVE to listen to him. http://www.gracefamilybaptist.net/GFBC_/Podcast/Podcast.html

And yes many women get their cycles back as soon as 6 weeks from birth. From my understanding she nurses up until about a year. That is a lot longer than many other women I know. But, I have never heard her in public or private say that she stops nursing in order to have more children.