Menu

Michelle Duggar is expecting # 18

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom comes from a family of 15 (all single births). I love getting together with all my Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and their children. Our next visit will be in August for my grandfather's 97th birthday party. I wish the Duggers well and pray that they have a bonded family.

To each their own, better her than me, and good for her if that's truly what she wants. I can't imagine, but I'm sure people say that about choices I make. She must be a much stronger and more patient woman than I. If she were my neighbor, I'd bring them a meal (that would be a task!) and a baby gift and congratulate her on welcoming a new child into their family.

To be half the mom Michelle Duggar is...

She must be an amazing mother!:D

She must be a much stronger and more patient woman than I.

I'm sure that she is a lovely person and that her family loves her very much. I'm sure that she is very well organized, and that she has a good temperament for having a large family.

But she is no better than any of you. She isn't a better mom than you are, she's no more amazing than you are, under real stress you find out who the truly strong are, and we all have stores and limits to our patience.

I'm not picking on you three at all. I'm saying this to encourage you and any others who watch the carefully edited video clips of this family and conclude that they've got it all together.

And you must know that for each of your quotes that I pasted above there are people who know you and would say the same things about you. People say the same things about me, and I am nothing great at all, believe me. Most of us are pretty adept at showing our good side to the watching world, but we all yell at our children sometimes, we all feel lazy sometimes, we get headaches, our children get sick and the sickness runs through the house and we feel like it will never end. We have children who don't want to sit pretty for the picture. We have husbands who sometimes grate on our nerves. These are all part of the human condition and we all deal with it.

So please, please don't let yourself think that if you could be more like Michelle Duggar you'd be a better mother. She has her life, you have yours. There are some things that you do well that she'd give her eye-teeth to do. And anyway, what's up with that tater tot casserole? :001_huh: :lol::lol: :grouphug:

It REALLY REALLY bugs me when I see that they spelled Jinger with a "j."

It makes me want to do this: :banghead:

Good thing I don't look at the list of their children's names often. :D

Ha! My mom called me this a.m. and told me to tune in to the Today show (blech!) to see the Duggars (by whom I'm very impressed!) Anyhow, Meredith Viera pronounced Jinger's name "Jeeng-ur" by accident. She caught herself and corrected it, but everyone on the set chuckled.

What an amazing post.

Comparison is a dead end street. You all are such incredible mothers in your own rights. There is nothing wrong with holding up another mom as a role model of what you would like to strive for as long as you don't play the comparison game. We all have our strengths and weaknesses and just because we all fall into the category of "mother" doesn't mean we should all be striving towards the same goals.

BTW, no as not to have offended anyone, which I sensed I did unitentionally, my tounge-in-cheek remark farther up was more in relation to me not desiring to beome pregnant at 45 and me looking back on my two deliveries which were not easy. I do not begrudge Michelle Dugger her continuing family growth. It just made me glad I wasn't the one who was pregnant!

Better her than me.

Yeah, better 14 kids in HER house than in mine. There is no way I could stay sane with 11 more kids in this house. Nice that they could afford that gigantic house! :drool:

I just don't see how your average family could afford that many children.

I am hoping not to offend anyone, but I keep reading this thread and wondering the same thing again and again.

How does having a larger number of children make a woman an 'amazing' mother, or twice the mother as someone with fewer children?

I have no opinion about the number of children this family is choosing to have, but I wonder what anyone really knows about how Michelle Duggar parents her children from day to day.

Yeah, better 14 kids in HER house than in mine. There is no way I could stay sane with 11 more kids in this house.

You and me both. Having a handful of rambunctious kids over for a slumber party is enough to make me want to pull my hair out.

My dd still remembers (as do some of her friends I'm sure, lol) her party from about 3 years ago, where I went politely semi-postal - if there is such a thing - at about 2 am, which finally caused the girls to realize that I meant it when I'd told them to be quiet. (I can not sleep with any type of noise, and I think they were really trying, at times. But it had been a long week, and I was exhausted and wanted to sleep darn it!!)

Anyhow, Michelle may not be a better mother than I. However, I can guarantee she has far more patience! :D

I am hoping not to offend anyone, but I keep reading this thread and wondering the same thing again and again.

How does having a larger number of children make a woman an 'amazing' mother, or twice the mother as someone with fewer children?

I have no opinion about the number of children this family is choosing to have, but I wonder what anyone really knows about how Michelle Duggar parents her children from day to day.

:iagree:

Well put.

Obviously mothers of more have more chances experiences, but I don't think that automatically translates into better. A mother can parent one, or six, or sixteen children brilliantly or badly.

:iagree:

There are probably people on this board who agree with her, but what I've heard about their beliefs on disciplining children from people who have attended conferences they have spoken at ("ritualized beatings" was what came to mind), I personally do not consider them parenting role models.

Yep. She's fertile and that's God-given, not some created talent or righteousness on her part, so I don't get the amazement. She also has a dh who does very well and puts her family on t.v. at nearly every opportunity, so there's no way I'd compare her to all the hard-working moms that I know who aren't edited and are just as amazing, if not more so.

Yep. She's fertile and that's God-given, not some created talent or righteousness on her part, so I don't get the amazement.
IIRC she weans early to regain fertility sooner than she would otherwise.

I think I remember from somewhere that an older sibling is assigned to a younger sibling to help them, so it's a group effort. They definitely have a system down. The only thing that bothers me is she's so eerily calm. Kinda like a pretty robot that is always smiling.

Just what sort of job does her husband have that allows him to support such a large family? Their grocery bill alone is more than my dh and I make put together.

And I have to ask (no flames please, because I honestly don't know and I have never watched their show): Do you think they would have so many children if it didn't get them all sorts of attention, tv shows, interviews, etc.?

Just what sort of job does her husband have that allows him to support such a large family? Their grocery bill alone is more than my dh and I make put together.

And I have to ask (no flames please, because I honestly don't know and I have never watched their show): Do you think they would have so many children if it didn't get them all sorts of attention, tv shows, interviews, etc.?

Well, they had a lot of children before the first show aired. But I do wonder how in the world they manage financially. I think he works for his dad as a used car salesman? Did I hear that correctly?

I think they probably do the shows because they got so much attention instead of the other way around.

He's in politics and real estate, I think. They have gotten a lot of donations. I know TLC or somebody paid for their kitchen which is amazing. I'll try and be a little more vague next time. :D

TLC pays their family showcases well. I've heard that Jon & Kate Plus 8 make $12,000 per episode. That would explain their financial turnaround, as well as the Little People family's massive house expansion.

hmmm, wonder if they'd be interested in us? LOL

TLC pays their family showcases well. I've heard that Jon & Kate Plus 8 make $12,000 per episode. That would explain their financial turnaround, as well as the Little People family's massive house expansion.

hmmm, wonder if they'd be interested in us? LOL

Did you see the Little People show recently that said they are out of moneyt o finish the remodel? I missed the details, but I felt very sorry for Amy, the mom.