Menu

OMG!! WTH are people letting their kids watch?

So dh and dd were at karate and he was showing the kids how his elbows are weird because he had dislocated it in wrestling when he was in school. (because they kept trying to put their hands down during take downs)

So a little girl dd's age suddenly pipes up, "On Tosh.0 there was this lady who broke her arm blah blah blah"

Dh about DIED.

Apparently several kids in dd's class watch it. :001_huh: What on earth!?!? Sometimes I find that show far too mature for me...much less dd. :willy_nilly:

My dd is ten. It is an inappropriate program on Comedy Central. I would say it is on level with South Park.

I've met lots of people who think South Park is OK for 10-13 year olds. :confused:

My neighbor has a 5 year old boy and his favorite show is Family Guy. His parents think it is hilarious when he quotes it, particularly Stewie.

OTOH, the Simpsons premiered when I was 8 and it was a show my Dad sat down to watch with my younger brother and I every week. I have fond memories of him explaining various references. It was the only time he wouldn't change the channel or hit mute during the commercials, instead he'd explain exactly how the commercial was misleading or what it was trying to do.

Never seen it, but heard enough about it from a girlfriend who thinks it's hilarious that *I* wouldn't watch it let alone let my kids watch it.

It's amazing what kids watch these days. When my son started Karate, the instructor asked him if he'd seen any Chuck Norris/Jackie Chan movies. I wanted to say, "Um. . . he's FIVE?!?!"

I've met lots of people who think South Park is OK for 10-13 year olds. :confused:

My neighbor has a 5 year old boy and his favorite show is Family Guy. His parents think it is hilarious when he quotes it, particularly Stewie.

OTOH, the Simpsons premiered when I was 8 and it was a show my Dad sat down to watch with my younger brother and I every week. I have fond memories of him explaining various references. It was the only time he wouldn't change the channel or hit mute during the commercials, instead he'd explain exactly how the commercial was misleading or what it was trying to do.

When ds came to us, he told me he loved the show family guy. :blink::ohmy::svengo:He is 7! Who could think that was acceptable? We brain washed him immediately. :D

Dd is highly judgmental for an 8 yr old and preceded to break him of other shows as well. :001_huh:

Never seen it, but heard enough about it from a girlfriend who thinks it's hilarious that *I* wouldn't watch it let alone let my kids watch it.

It's amazing what kids watch these days. When my son started Karate, the instructor asked him if he'd seen any Chuck Norris/Jackie Chan movies. I wanted to say, "Um. . . he's FIVE?!?!"

I must confess...when dd was a baby we would watch reruns of Walker, Texas Ranger with her. Something about the theme song, she just loved it.

Edited by jewellsmommy

I must confess...when dd was an baby we would watch reruns of Walker, Texas Ranger with her. Something about the theme song, she just loved it.

My ds is not quite three and he's seen Jackie Chan.

:blushing: He watched the new Karate Kid movie with dd as well as that Spy Next Door movie which is for kids.

Edited by Sis

When we were in JoAnn's the other day, I was admiring a Vogue pattern for a gorgeous cocktail dress (unfortunately beyond my novice sewing skills). My 8 y.o. loudly piped up "looks like something the ladies on Mad Men would wear." I just about died of embarrassment. :svengo:

She's never seen the show for obvious reasons but did see promos for it when we were watching something on AMC.

When we were in JoAnn's the other day, I was admiring a Vogue pattern for a gorgeous cocktail dress (unfortunately beyond my novice sewing skills). My 8 y.o. loudly piped up "looks like something the ladies on Mad Men would wear." I just about died of embarrassment. :svengo:

She's never seen the show for obvious reasons but did see promos for it when we were watching something on AMC.

I saw that show is about to be on netflix. I assume it is also inappropriate? :lol:

Our friend's dd (5yo) started singing a song called "sunny d and rum" in the middle of their church hallway when she was offered some orange juice. Apparently it was big on you tube as one of those videos that someone took and turned it into a song, like songify this or something. Anyway, that was highly embarrassing for mom and dad! :D

We don't have cable in the house, but my 15yo BIL turned that show on after dinner at FIL's house one night. We had no clue what it was until they showed a very, very disgusting YouTube video. I can't even describe it right now because I'm eating breakfast.

DH turned it off immediately. Luckily our kids were playing and not even paying attention to the TV.

It's really weird for us to be "culturally sheltered" now. DH and I still quote some of the older, more benign Family Guy episodes.

My older dd had a dance teacher who recommended the group of kindergarteners watch the movie Grease because they were dancing to a song from the movie.

Great, just what I want- to explain the lyrics of "Sandra Dee" to a 5-yr old. I explained to the teacher that her suggestion was completely inappropriate, but I don't think she really understood.

Austin Powers was on here last night. My dc and dh were laughing up a storm. I walked through the room with my fingers in my ears, humming a happy tune, because sometimes I just don't like to be the party pooper. It's a totally silly, inappropriate movie and I think all my dc are fully recovered from the lapse in appropriate viewing material this morning.

I still remember the day that Simpsons first aired. We had just moved into a new house, and we were still setting things up.

We were sitting on the couch eating off TV trays while facing the TV. My Mom came into the room carrying a tray of food. My Mom then looked at the tv and saw the Simpson family sitting on the couch with TV tray - and then Marge Simpson walk into the room carrying a tray of food. My Mom then dropped her tray and ran out of the room screaming about that devilish show.

It was funny because it was almost a mirror image. I think that was the first and last time we got to eat in front of the TV for a very long time.

OMG! Why don't those people let their kids go to a normal school??

OMG! I can't believe you don't vaccinate your kids!!

OMG! You teach your kids that dancing is a sin??

[pick your topic]

Isn't it fun to pick away at other people's parenting choices?

Yes! :thumbup:

It's almost as much fun as responding to people's concerns in a needlessly snarky way. ;)

Guest Buck Mountain Homeschool

My mother thought it would be a great idea to show DD10 and DS7 "Meet the Fockers" last Christmas. We had a midnight showing of "Home Alone" immediately after - after I found out hoping to erase memories. My DS acts out everything he sees!!

Having teenage boys in the house, I'd just like to watch a couple tv shows that don't cause "me" any embarassment! I don't know why shows can't be made that are more mature (complex, thematic, interesting, etc) in plot that don't have to be overly explicit with inappropriate language or overly sexual behavior. I say "overly" because I don't mind real world exposure like a few innoculuous swear words or some sexual innuendo - just not "in your face"!

Myra

Myra

My dh like Tosh.0, but *I* don't like watching it. It seems to be his goal of offending people of every religion, handicap, race, sex and so forth. I find it extremely offensive. I think it's worse than Southpark, The Family Guy, Austin Powers or anything along those lines.

I trust you. I have never heard of the show because I have Comedy Central completely blocked. It doesn't even appear on our list of channels thankfully.

I do this with most of the religious channels. #1 on my list of shows I'd rather DD never see is the 700 Club. Those people are scary.

I'm pretty sure Tosh.O kills brain cells, but The Daily Show rocks!

I make decisions as to what my children watch and have no control over other people's children, nor do I want it.

I think expressing surprise at a 10 year old being allowed to watch something and wanting control over what other people's kids do are very different things. I let my kids watch Lord of the Rings, Spiderman, all kinds of stuff, but I would be surprised at a child watching Tosh.0. Being surprised is also different than judging people's parenting skills. I judge anyone who watches that show, to include my own beloved husband, it has nothing to do with his parenting skills. :tongue_smilie:

I do this with most of the religious channels. #1 on my list of shows I'd rather DD never see is the 700 Club. Those people are scary.

Love it! Honestly though, we don't block anything. If they come across something we don't want them to see (not just on TV), we talk about it without making a big deal out of it. I was pretty naive growing up and I don't think sheltering kids from a lot of stuff is very productive. This doesn't mean we purposefully expose them to objectionable material, we just know it's impossible to protect them from everything.

And I have to say I LOVE Tosh.0 (which I watch when the kids are in bed). It's the ultimate guilty pleasure. Yes, he is very offensive but he's an equal opportunity offender. And it's the best way to keep up with youtube without having to spend hours looking for the best videos.

I'm pretty sure Tosh.O kills brain cells, but The Daily Show rocks!

I've never seen Tosh.O, but Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are my reasons for loving Comedy Central!

Ds 13 likes Family Guy and South Park. I hate both, but don't forbid him from watching either. Instead we talk.

I think expressing surprise at a 10 year old being allowed to watch something and wanting control over what other people's kids do are very different things.

The original post here isn't just someone "expressing surprise".

"Oh my god, what the hell are people letting their kids watch?"

so it's okay for me to do this:

"Oh my god, I can't believe some of you people don't vaccinate your kids?"

I bet that would go over wonderfully as a thread title. :blink:

OMG! Why don't those people let their kids go to a normal school??

OMG! I can't believe you don't vaccinate your kids!!

OMG! You teach your kids that dancing is a sin??

[pick your topic]

Isn't it fun to pick away at other people's parenting choices?

Yes! :thumbup:

It's almost as much fun as responding to people's concerns in a needlessly snarky way. ;)

You're choosing to skip over my point. I simply took the same route as the OP with *different* topics….

Why the need for 'concerns' about the choices that other families make for THEIR OWN children anyway? Can we not just, you know… go about our lives making OUR choices and respect the rights of others to make theirs? :001_huh:

The original post here isn't just someone "expressing surprise".

"Oh my god, what the hell are people letting their kids watch?"

1. (and this is not just to you) I always assume g=gosh/goodness and h=heck, but that's just me. It takes on a milder flavor that way.

2. She also said: "Sometimes I find that show far too mature for me...much less dd." That means she watches it, so I don't take it as much of a blanket judgment as if I had made the original comments, because I am anti that show in general.

so it's okay for me to do this:

"Oh my god, I can't believe some of you people don't vaccinate your kids?"

I bet that would go over wonderfully as a thread title. :blink:

There are pros and cons to vaccinating. I find no redeeming value in that show, so this argument is totally lost on me. I grant you that other people think the same thing of Harry Potter or Spiderman and that's fine with me. The point where it comes to *judgment* is when you say "good parents would not do this" or "a real Christian would not watch that" or something like that. I didn't see anything like that in the OP. That's how I see it, anyway.

The point where it comes to *judgment* is when you say "good parents would not do this" or "a real Christian would not watch that" or something like that. I didn't see anything like that in the OP. That's how I see it, anyway.

I think that's the difference… I *am* seeing/hearing that - what's the word for it, subtext or something? The whole "I can't believe THOSE parents" thing.

I've seen a lot of it lately IRL as well.. maybe I'm just more sensitive to it because of that or something.

I think expressing surprise at a 10 year old being allowed to watch something and wanting control over what other people's kids do are very different things. I let my kids watch Lord of the Rings, Spiderman, all kinds of stuff, but I would be surprised at a child watching Tosh.0. Being surprised is also different than judging people's parenting skills. I judge anyone who watches that show, to include my own beloved husband, it has nothing to do with his parenting skills. :tongue_smilie:

You don't see an implication of judgement in expressing surprise that a 10 yo would watch a certain show? I am honestly asking here. If someone said to me "You let your kids watch that?!" I would think they were making a judgement.

I think that's the difference… I *am* seeing/hearing that - what's the word for it, subtext or something? The whole "I can't believe THOSE parents" thing.

I've seen a lot of it lately IRL as well.. maybe I'm just more sensitive to it because of that or something.

You don't see an implication of judgement in expressing surprise that a 10 yo would watch a certain show? I am honestly asking here. If someone said to me "You let your kids watch that?!" I would think they were making a judgement.

Hm. It would depend upon the context. For example, I let my kids play Runescape. I've known people who have said "you let your kids play that?" We have a conversation about it and then they decide to let their kids play because they trust my judgment.

If we had a conversation about it and they said something like "WELL, as Christians we cannot play that because it has magic," when they know I am a Christian, then we would have a problem. There would either be a lot of bean dip in our future or our relationship would fizzle out because she was constantly judging my choices. I don't automatically assume surprise=judgment because that hasn't been my experience. I can see why some would make that leap.

Hm. It would depend upon the context. For example, I let my kids play Runescape. I've known people who have said "you let your kids play that?" We have a conversation about it and then they decide to let their kids play because they trust my judgment.

If we had a conversation about it and they said something like "WELL, as Christians we cannot play that because it has magic," when they know I am a Christian, then we would have a problem. There would either be a lot of bean dip in our future or our relationship would fizzle out because she was constantly judging my choices. I don't automatically assume surprise=judgment because that hasn't been my experience. I can see why some would make that leap.

That makes sense. :001_smile: We are coming out of a legalistic background and my responses are coming from that place. I need to find friends like yours.

Love it! Honestly though, we don't block anything. If they come across something we don't want them to see (not just on TV), we talk about it without making a big deal out of it. I was pretty naive growing up and I don't think sheltering kids from a lot of stuff is very productive. This doesn't mean we purposefully expose them to objectionable material, we just know it's impossible to protect them from everything.

And I have to say I LOVE Tosh.0 (which I watch when the kids are in bed). It's the ultimate guilty pleasure. Yes, he is very offensive but he's an equal opportunity offender. And it's the best way to keep up with youtube without having to spend hours looking for the best videos.

I don't block them completely, just take them off the guide menu, along with the sports channels, shopping channels, that network targeted at babies, and pay-per-view stations. That way I can channel surf without having to sift through stuff I NEVER watch. DD has a similar favorites list, limited to the channels she watches most frequently and that have few shows that require conversations.

There are a lot of kids that I know whose parents give them unfettered access to TV and Internet. It's shocking and disturbing.

However, in defense of the little girl (or rather, her parents)--she may have heard one of her parents or older siblings talking about it and simply repeated it for dramatic effect. That doesn't necessarily mean she watches the show.

You're choosing to skip over my point. I simply took the same route as the OP with *different* topics….

Why the need for 'concerns' about the choices that other families make for THEIR OWN children anyway? Can we not just, you know… go about our lives making OUR choices and respect the rights of others to make theirs? :001_huh:

You're right, I wasn't responding to your point, just the snark with which it was expressed. :001_smile:

As for your point about being concerned about the choices other families make for their children, I'm not so sure I either agree with you, or disagree with you. I wish we didn't live in a society where parental choice would lead people to immerse their children in what is, in the eyes of many, complete and utter garbage. Yes, I do believe that as parents we should have autonomy in making decisions for our own children. At the same time though, I see a process of degradation that *does* affect society as a whole, and not just one's own dc. I don't know the answer to the problem of finding a balance between personal freedom and making choices for your family that lessen moral values in a way that changes life for all of us. Where does it end? We, as a society, have decided that it's unacceptable to teach our children to discriminate based on race, because it's morally problematic. I wish we could decide that about sexual promiscuity, teen pregnancy, and other issues presented by Glee.

So, while I don't agree with your point, I don't disagree either.

I have no problem with people expressing a bit of outrage regarding a social issue, though I do have a problem with rudeness directed at a particular person/poster, and my snark-meter went off based on that. I'm sorry if making light of your post offended you. I'm usually not a person who does that. :001_huh:

I've never heard of that show, so I don't know what to think.

So dh and dd were at karate and he was showing the kids how his elbows are weird because he had dislocated it in wrestling when he was in school. (because they kept trying to put their hands down during take downs)

So a little girl dd's age suddenly pipes up, "On Tosh.0 there was this lady who broke her arm blah blah blah"

Dh about DIED.

Apparently several kids in dd's class watch it. :001_huh: What on earth!?!? Sometimes I find that show far too mature for me...much less dd. :willy_nilly: