Menu

Plan B

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:grouphug:IMHO I would carefully research the demand and job prospects for lawyers and web design/illustrator. I read an article recently that there actually is not a lot of demand for lawyers and I am not so sure there is demand for web design either:( I would carefully research this which can be tricky since some law schools have been misleading about the hirings of their graduates:(

Since you have all the degrees in teaching and English, what about becoming an online tutor or online instructor at a virtual academy? You wouldn't have to retrain, you've got great credentials and you could still do it from home. You could also look into tutoring in person locally. Lots of people are willing to pay good money for someone to help their child be a better writer.

Another idea for using the skill set you already have is to become an online editor for a book publishing company, or grade the essay portion of SAT tests. Also, some litigation companies use on-line editiors for dispositions and case summaries.

Potentially, you could do a work at home solution while still plugging away at your history project. The history curic. would be be a longer term plan for income.

The dead history curric. RIP :nopity::lol:

Geez, Aubrey, this is SO COOL!

And so is your writing work!

You are really, really talented and capable.

What you need is an agent, or a catalogue or a promoter or something. Seriously. Your work is extraordinary, and it needs to be finished and shared. :grouphug:

Edited by Carol in Cal.
Respect for awesome curriculum author!

Said gently.... lawyers are a dime-a-dozen here in Arizona. My DH IS one and hates it, but that is beside the point. Unfortunately, his firm is really struggling because of the economy. Oh, they still get work, but no one is paying the firm after the fact. You'd pay your mortgage before your attorney, right? DH is afraid to leave, since jobs are few and the competition is high. Just research this carefully.

Definitely look into teaching via a VA from home option. If you are a bit people-phobic this may be a fantastic fit. Also, get busy on your history curriculum. I would LOVE a neutral alternative.

My aunt has BP. It has been crippling at times. She has been on disability for years. Asked with reservation, have you considered this?

:grouphug:

My aunt has BP. It has been crippling at times. She has been on disability for years. Asked with reservation, have you considered this?

It doesn't matter if I'd consider it: I haven't worked enough years to qualify.

What you need is an agent, or a catalogue or a promoter or something. Seriously. Your work is extraordinary, and it needs to be finished and shared. :grouphug:

Unit 1 needs a few more maps & it's basically done. I was planning to start selling it this month & follow up w/ unit 2 early summer.

Remember the history kerfuffle last year? :lol: Apparently, I was inspired.

Do you have a prescription for the medicaton you need. If it is brand name, many drug companies have programs to help pay for their own meds, based on financial need. It may be worth a look.

The rx is about $4. The problem is getting the rx. I have a referral now, but it's taken a year to get that.

Dh would *love* to be an engineer, but virtually none of the coursework from a liberal arts degree overlaps w/ an engineering degree. He'd have to go back FT for 4 years to get a BS. (I think you have to have a master's for most engineering jobs. But...law school is 3 years. Maybe it's potato-potato. Except law would be *easy* for him, & while he's good at math, it would be a lot more work...easier to fail (for him), if that makes sense.)

Yes, he would probably be starting over but when I graduated engineering school the starting salary was $60k. Likewise the starting salary (if you could find a job) for a lawyer was $40k. This was about seven years ago but I can't imagine it's gotten much better. I'm still in engineering and while we aren't all making tons of money we haven't been hit as hard as other professions. I'd suggest your husband look into something like engineering or nursing. Could either of you become a CNA? Lots of night shifts with that type of work and while it's hard work it would be a good stepping off point for becoming a nurse.

Engineering is hard. Very hard. I'd hate to see him go through law school for three years and not be in a better place than he was now.

Hi Aubrey, I haven't read through all the posts, but one thought I have is to develop an online writing course for homeschoolers. I have a friend who does this, teaches at our co-op, and homeschools her kids. Here's the website: http://www.gorbywriting.com/

She works VERY hard, but she does her work from home, other than when she is teaching at our co-op. If you want more information, let me know.

Thanks for sharing so honestly!

The rx is about $4. The problem is getting the rx. I have a referral now, but it's taken a year to get that.

Are there any indigent care providers in your area? An office visit is on a sliding scale but maxes out at only $50. I know of one in Portland that specializes in the Hispanic community, but will take private patients of any background. Most people don't even know about it because it is marketed towards the Hispanic. I have sent many patients to the clinic, who have driven past it and never realized it was there because the signage was in Spanish.

Aubrey, every time I see one of your posts about your job woes I think, "Come live in my town! We could have play groups and talk about history currics! Houses are cheap here!" DH's employer is hiring, but it's mostly engineers and admin positions. I wish I could wave my magic wand and hand your dh a job with good pay and great benefits...

:iagree: I would love to see the final product for this--I am sure it would be marvelous.:grouphug:

I wish I had a magic wand to wave for you, Aubrey. I would so, SO like to see you happily plugging away at history and writing projects than worrying about money and doing things you don't love. I am sorry I have suggestions for you in the Plan B arena; but I would gently suggest to you that checking your eligiblity for Medicaid or other assistance so that you could get meds for you (and dh?) would be of incalculable value to your family right now. Prayers for peace and guidance, lovey.:grouphug:

Aubrey-:grouphug:

As far as the web design goes--if you've learned html already how about setting yourself up in the short term as a blog designer? I hear they are in pretty high demand but I don't have actual statistics to back that up. You could do blogs for individuals or create templates to sell. Might be a short term plan on your way to web designing and maybe a good resume filler.

Another computer option I see asked for all the time is a homeschool tracker/planner for the Mac, with an iPhone/iPad app. Not really a web design issue but an oft requested product that could be made at home and sold.

And-being gentle as I can-if your plan includes living with other family members be sure they are on the same page with you before you commit to the Plan B. Go in with a plan for cooking, groceries, household maintenance, TV rules, kids activities, etc. Hopefully addressing some of the issues ahead of time will make the transition easier.

In the meantime hang in there---

Yes, he would probably be starting over but when I graduated engineering school the starting salary was $60k. Likewise the starting salary (if you could find a job) for a lawyer was $40k. This was about seven years ago but I can't imagine it's gotten much better. I'm still in engineering and while we aren't all making tons of money we haven't been hit as hard as other professions. I'd suggest your husband look into something like engineering or nursing. Could either of you become a CNA? Lots of night shifts with that type of work and while it's hard work it would be a good stepping off point for becoming a nurse.

Engineering is hard. Very hard. I'd hate to see him go through law school for three years and not be in a better place than he was now.

We will definitely talk about this. Thank you.

Aubrey-:grouphug:

As far as the web design goes--if you've learned html already how about setting yourself up in the short term as a blog designer? I hear they are in pretty high demand but I don't have actual statistics to back that up. You could do blogs for individuals or create templates to sell. Might be a short term plan on your way to web designing and maybe a good resume filler.

I learned HTML in 03. Something has changed significantly. I don't know what it is, but I know that when I look at code now, I can't "read" it. BUT I don't think it would take too much to catch up. (I learned it in a weekend. Not...in a *refined* way, but enough to build on, etc.)

Another computer option I see asked for all the time is a homeschool tracker/planner for the Mac, with an iPhone/iPad app. Not really a web design issue but an oft requested product that could be made at home and sold.

And-being gentle as I can-if your plan includes living with other family members be sure they are on the same page with you before you commit to the Plan B. Go in with a plan for cooking, groceries, household maintenance, TV rules, kids activities, etc. Hopefully addressing some of the issues ahead of time will make the transition easier.

In the meantime hang in there---

As far as living w/ family: we've lived w/ dh's family before. I think we both know how ea other works & can live w/ it. My mom would be another question, but she's lived alone for nearly 15 years & is incredibly lonely. No doubt it would be hard, but I think knowing how much she wants us there would help a little.

Fwiw, both sides have offered to move into their own basements & give us their whole house. We'd NEVER take them up on that, but that's how willing/happy they are to help.

And honestly? Things have gotten so bad that...if they *didn't* want us...I really don't know what we'd do. It's not an issue of "it would be easier to get back on our feet if," but "how much longer until we hit the homeless shelter?" Because we're in the CHEAPEST thing we could find.

You might want to look a little closer at engineering. I would think that you could shave *some* off of the 4 years because of the existing degree - it would require careful planning to get the pre-req's in when you need them. Plus you could either go summer term, or get a decent intern job in the summer. Co-op might also be a way to pay-as-you-go. Most of the engineers I know got their Master's while they were in an engineering job, not before - the company paid the tuition, too.

*Deep breath* I just went to see a psych (I don't know which ending). I've never held a job for more than a year, & I hadn't realized it. That kinda scares me, because my ability to interact w/ people has seriously declined since that year. I was diagnosed w/ BP, & she said this is common, which was nice. It's nice to have someone tell you WHY you can't do something instead of just drop their jaw & shake their head.

Ditto! My record for a job is 11 months. I was scared to go back to school last summer because I've never lasted more than 2 semesters in school at a time. I've been in school 10 months and I'm very restless, feeling like I need to quit. But I am on medication that is helping and I'm taking the summer off, so hopefully I'll have what it takes to get back in when Fall semester begins. We'll see!! But this is the reason I seriously doubt I'll actually use my teaching degree when I graduate. I shudder to think of making at least a 1-year commitment anywhere.

So yeah, I can relate! :grouphug:

Fwiw, we've seen a lot of jobs in dh's field in the VA area lately. He's been applying; we have a friend of a friend who's expanding a business out there & needs people in dh's field. W/ a new rx today, I think (hope) plan b won't even matter.

Once he's working again, he'll be a different person. Even at a stinky job, having an 8-5 (or 6, lol) routine *helps* him function. He'd be more likely to get well & get a better job if he needed to.

If that happens, no living w/ parents will even be necessary.

You know. Fwiw. ;)

Are there positions in your area (or near your parents) for after school tutoring?

Or are there any homeschool groups in your area that offer classes and need instructors? I'm involved with a group that is trying to bring in more of a high school crowd next year and we desperately need more high school teachers that can offer a full-year program and I don't know how to help promote that because I do not know any teachers. :)

Maybe this has already been posted, but I haven't read the whole thread.

Before your DH goes to law school, he needs to carefully investigate job prospects. My DH has considered going back to school to become a patent attorney, but his patent attorney friends are telling him that it would be a bad, bad idea right now. Six years ago patent law was a great field to be in, now patent attorneys are having a tough time finding jobs.

And it's not just intellectual property that's suffering. In general, the job market for lawyers is contracting dramatically. There's a lot of uproar among current law students and recent grads, accusing law schools of inflating job prospects and salaries.

My sister is a firm attorney doing a wide variety of work. She's being asked to work more hours at decreased pay (bonuses have been slashed and/or delayed). Her firm has also undergone major layoffs, and it is the same at all the firms in her area.

Edited by jplain

Aubrey, Until last month we were in the same ever spinning cycle you are. I understand how you feel and how life draining it is. I know how this type of situation can rob you of even this simplest joy. Hang in there, it WILL get better, even if it takes a while.

Now I know this isn't in your Plan B but I thought I would throw it out there. On of our good friends is a Optometrist with 7 kids. He works 4 days a week and makes very good money. He works in a small town here in Idaho because the need in rural places is so big. Our other friend is a Dental Hygenist and makes 40K a year working 2 days a week. She stays home with their 3 kids the rest of the week. And lastly our other friend is a Physical Therapist, he works 4 days a week, lives debt free and has 4 kids.

Health professions are always in demand, especially in rural areas. Rural areas also pay more because of the demand. Generally rural communities are also cheaper to live in so you actually make more money for your time.

If I were in the situation (and I was and deeply considered this) I would consider dental hygeine school for both dh and I. It is only a two year program and has the ability to earn FT wages with PT work. Dh and I both planned to enroll this coming fall when our lives took a sudden change last month. The profession offers the ability for a lot of flexability (for hsing and family time) with great wages. PT hours for 80K a year? Not too shabby.

:grouphug: I know how hard it is to have the never ending "what if" going in your head. Sometimes you feel like you are driving yourself crazy. Take a deep breath, and honestly have a good cry when you need to, it will get better.

ETA: If you do consider health professions I would stay away from RN. I read recently that in 3-4 years there will be an abundance because the profession as been labled as high needs and there fore so many people have enrolled in the programs. I don't know if it is true but someting to think about.

Edited by caitlinsmom

You might want to look a little closer at engineering. I would think that you could shave *some* off of the 4 years because of the existing degree - it would require careful planning to get the pre-req's in when you need them. Plus you could either go summer term, or get a decent intern job in the summer. Co-op might also be a way to pay-as-you-go. Most of the engineers I know got their Master's while they were in an engineering job, not before - the company paid the tuition, too.

co-op is good because I believe it counts toward the 2 yr's work required before you are eligible to take the PE licensing exam. And one gets paid in the meantime. And one makes valuable contacts in the engineering world. (dh was hired by the company with whom he co-oped)

Dh would be thrilled to believe that engineering is still possible. I told him years ago that that was what he should do, & now that our oldest is turning into an engineer, dh sees it in himself.

Yes, some of the classes can be shaved off. He could *maybe* get it down to 3yrs if it weren't for pre-reqs. When I looked at it before, it would be a TOUGH...I think 4 years, maybe it *was* only 3....

But, yeah, if it's remotely similar to the # of years for law school & he might have to go back anyway AND attorneys are out of work, this is good to think about.

Will go recalculate hours. He could easily (I think...I know it's a different dept) go back to the school from which he's already got his BA. Very local. And they have decent-ish medical care on campus. (For him.)

If I could figure out something for those few years...I don't know. Somehow...this sounds harder than law school, lol, but if it's a better plan...I like a better plan. Because, you know. I'm logical like that. ;)

Hey Aubrey, I have not read all the replies, mostly because I can shed no light on the computer certification issue.

But I do want to tell you this. I believe that you are a GIFTED writer! And I want to encourage you to pursue that talent! I know you have done some freelance work. Maybe taking on some (more?) clients would be possible? Ok, it might be sorta boring writing some company's newsletter, but I just know you would be so good at it. Flexible, home based, a skill you already have...

I wish you all the best and as far as I can tell, you are approaching this very thoughtfully and logically. I pray that a firm plan will soon emerge for you and your family.

Aubrey, Until last month we were in the same ever spinning cycle you are. I understand how you feel and how life draining it is. I know how this type of situation can rob you of even this simplest joy. Hang in there, it WILL get better, even if it takes a while.

Now I know this isn't in your Plan B but I thought I would throw it out there. On of our good friends is a Optometrist with 7 kids. He works 4 days a week and makes very good money. He works in a small town here in Idaho because the need in rural places is so big. Our other friend is a Dental Hygenist and makes 40K a year working 2 days a week. She stays home with their 3 kids the rest of the week. And lastly our other friend is a Physical Therapist, he works 4 days a week, lives debt free and has 4 kids.

Health professions are always in demand, especially in rural areas. Rural areas also pay more because of the demand. Generally rural communities are also cheaper to live in so you actually make more money for your time.

If I were in the situation (and I was and deeply considered this) I would consider dental hygeine school for both dh and I. It is only a two year program and has the ability to earn FT wages with PT work. Dh and I both planned to enroll this coming fall when our lives took a sudden change last month. The profession offers the ability for a lot of flexability (for hsing and family time) with great wages. PT hours for 80K a year? Not too shabby.

:grouphug: I know how hard it is to have the never ending "what if" going in your head. Sometimes you feel like you are driving yourself crazy. Take a deep breath, and honestly have a good cry when you need to, it will get better.

ETA: If you do consider health professions I would stay away from RN. I read recently that in 3-4 years there will be an abundance because the profession as been labled as high needs and there fore so many people have enrolled in the programs. I don't know if it is true but someting to think about.

YES!

I was reading a few months back and I was shocked at the dental hygienist wages for a simple 2 year degree. The source I saw quoted 40/k starting out and 60K average!

My dad was married to a...I think she was something a level or so above a dental hygienist. When I was 16, I had a chance to work in her office, get trained, etc. Gosh, that would have been a good idea.

I've looked into it since then, because I'd read the statistics you cited. I don't remember what the cost in terms of time/school was, but it was more than I could even consider. (I'll look again.)

If I were going to go into the medical field, you know what I'd love to do? Be a chiropractor. I checked that, too: 100k. :svengo: :lol:

Hey Aubrey, I have not read all the replies, mostly because I can shed no light on the computer certification issue.

But I do want to tell you this. I believe that you are a GIFTED writer! And I want to encourage you to pursue that talent! I know you have done some freelance work. Maybe taking on some (more?) clients would be possible? Ok, it might be sorta boring writing some company's newsletter, but I just know you would be so good at it. Flexible, home based, a skill you already have...

I wish you all the best and as far as I can tell, you are approaching this very thoughtfully and logically. I pray that a firm plan will soon emerge for you and your family.

These 2 comments mean SO much to me--thank you.

I'll still write, whatever I do. But if I'm focusing on a real job, lol, then I have to put my writing time into fiction instead of hs curric, kwim? It helps me be centered. Reading too much ancient history makes me a little...crazy.

I do have a book coming out...sometime...soon, I hope. If this whole convention mess would blow over, I think it would come out sooner, lol. Publisher's been busy w/ kerfuffle. :glare: :lol:

I don't have any great suggestions for you, but I want to extend a hug and prayers, if that's okay. I pray that this is the start of a new chapter in your lives, one filled with happiness, good health, and financial security. It sounds like you are trying very hard to come up with a plan that will help to bring about the needed changes. :grouphug:

Glad you've got a good support network behind you!!

Sometimes it feels that way. Other times mom gets mad at me for not spanking 2yo when she thinks I should & gets passive-aggressive, & ils accuse dh of being lazy because he only works 60-80 hrs/wk. *shrug* I guess people are people sometimes.

In an ideal world, I'd hide from all of them.

If you want to design blog templates, you'll need to learn CSS and PHP (for Wordpress, which is the most popular platform out there right now). You can set up blogs for people using existing templates (of which there are LOTS) without a great deal of technical skills, but you will likely need to know how to do some basic edits to the template because customers are rarely ever content with how things are off the shelf. Which goes to an earlier post someone made about the amount of client communication needed for this type of thing... I totally agree it can be intense.

Also, consider the difference between web design (which is typically the graphics component, layout, etc.) and web development (which is the programming/building component). Some people do both, but it is a different beast. Though this may all be ahead of where you are right now and therefore irrelevant.

Ugh! I had a huge response typed-up for you & then the site crashed for me. Must have been too many people looking at hot men in kilts.

Anyway, I'll try to rewrite...

Aubrey :grouphug: I'm so sorry that your family is in such a rough patch at the moment. Your posts here & your blog have really resonated with me. You are such a talented writer & I'm glad to hear that you're persuing that.

I'm not sure if this will be helpful but I'll post it anyway. I posted it here once before so I apologize if you've already seen it or if you are not interested for whatever reason. http://www.cedu.niu.edu/tlrn/academic/vision/ad.shtml Since you & your DH are willing to go back to school for something else I thought you might want to look into this - Train for a Career Helping Visually Impaired Veterans. 22 month program & then you have to commit to working with clients for 44 months. I assume that means you'd have 44 months of steady income but I don't know offhand. Dr. Kapperman is a family friend so I'm willing to answer any questions you might have. Free tuition, healthcare (I'm not sure if this is single or family), & a small stipend. The deadline for application is coming up but there's still time.

Anyway, I hope I've been helpful. Either way I'll be praying for an opportunity for you. :grouphug:

I think if your dh wants to go to law school he should get his paralegal certificate first from a cc. Most firms won't hire someone without a paralegal cert to be a paralegal. My cousin's dh is a paralegal and has been for years, supporting 7 kids (ages 6-23) while cousin has been a SAHM with the occasional part time job.

Law school is a major investment and I recommend it to no one unless it is a lifelong dream and the person can think of nothing else. Like the person who pursues performing arts because they truly cannot consider anything else. There huge numbers of unemployed lawyers and underemployed lawyers. I will disagree with the poster who said Northern VA is recession proof for lawyers. I suppose if you graduated from law school a few years ago, landed a job with the govt and stayed there, you would always have a job. I have a law degree. I have practiced disability rights (stressful) and patent law (my undergrad is chem and I had to take the additional patent bar exam to do this). I was good at these jobs, but some changes in a firm caused me to leave and then I was a SAHM for many years. I would have a very hard time finding employment that paid as much as private school teaching right now. Firms are not hiring. Dh is a lawyer his salary has fluctuated a lot due to the economy. Our family income with me working 2 part time jobs in well below average for the area. We live in a town house and are very happy to have purchased it years ago, because we could not afford current rents or a mortgage today.

I would suggest looking into virtual academy work. K12 always seems to be looking for teachers nation wide. I don't know what they pay and you may have to relocate, but maybe locations are near one of your parents.

Doing a dental hygienist program may be well worth the investment. It's way cheaper than law school, the work is always there and consistent and you would be able to pay it off quicker. Other medical training could be a good starting point. My friends sil got trained to be a phlebotomist to do second shift work after a few years she's moved up and now coordinates a hospital's lab with a good salary.

If I were you, I'd try and find a way to get whatever cash flow as soon as possible. Reading your responses, it seems like the quickest way is for you to to do this is to finish and try and sell your history program. I think there is a need to a solid middle school history program for home schoolers and others.

We developed a product here at home back in 2002. We've been selling it ever since. We sent it out to some home school magazines to review and dh made a nice web-site for it. Both of these would be very easy for you to do. Really, the hard part is developing the product, which it seems you've almost already done. It sounds like I've over-simplified the process. Really, I haven't. PM me if you details.

You can make a good website with cheap, easy to use software with Freeway Express. It's easier than powerpoint once you learn it, no coding required. I made my website on the $69 Freeway Express version. (My website is not great design wise, but it works. You can make much better ones with their software, it's very powerful!) You could make yourself a website where you offer writing lessons, services, etc. and have before and after samples and other things with the $69 version. Then, you could figure out if you are good enough at web design that people might pay for that. And, your website might make you some money in the meantime. If you were to design for other people, you will need the $229 version. They have great tutorials and some samples of websites created with their software. Their manual is good, they have some tutorials and some advice areas as well if you get stuck.

http://www.softpress.com/store/

It costs me $11 per month to have the website through my host, Hosting Matters, and $15 a year for the website address. I really like both my software for making the website and my webhost company, they are helpful even if you are a computer idiot. (I am only a computer idiot when my husband is deployed!)

Their $11 a month package is unlimited right now--that would allow you to have movies and things for $11 a month, that's the package I have and I really like it. They also have a very good uptime ratio, my site has been down maybe 24 hours total in the 6 years I have used them.

http://www.hostingmatters.com/web_hosting.html

My dad was married to a...I think she was something a level or so above a dental hygienist. When I was 16, I had a chance to work in her office, get trained, etc. Gosh, that would have been a good idea.

I've looked into it since then, because I'd read the statistics you cited. I don't remember what the cost in terms of time/school was, but it was more than I could even consider. (I'll look again.)

If I were going to go into the medical field, you know what I'd love to do? Be a chiropractor. I checked that, too: 100k. :svengo: :lol:

The Red Cross office at our base in Japan had a scholarship program for people interested in becoming hygenists. I don't know if that was a program particular to the military or something wider.

If I were you, I'd try and find a way to get whatever cash flow as soon as possible. Reading your responses, it seems like the quickest way is for you to to do this is to finish and try and sell your history program. I think there is a need to a solid middle school history program for home schoolers and others.

LOL--this is the *last* thing I expected to hear!:lol:

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned 100 times already - paralegal. Would your dh consider getting a degree in paralegal? It's generally a 2-year degree, but may be less with his previous education. Paralegal work is great for those who are detail oriented and efficient. My sister is a paralegal and has never had trouble getting work - she's worked for big city defense attorneys, small town lawyers, a pharmaseutical co., and a work-from-home transcript business.

This is waaay out in left field, but would either of you be interested in accounting or bookkeeping?

That is the field my son is going into. He graduates this year. The opportunities for work seem almost endless and the pay is excellent. We have accountant friends also who say that it is an easy field to find work in.

I believe it is easy to get a certificate for bookkeeping from a community college. Accounting takes more, but it wouldn't be 4 years, because you both already have bachelor's degrees.

Just throwing that into the mix. :-) Hope you come up with a workable plan.

Aubrey,

I haven't read the other replies because people on this board are really prolific!

But, have you thought of online teaching. There was a NYT article SWB posted on FB today about it. It wasn't really positive about the quality of a lot of it, but the demand is big and will presumably get bigger with the layoffs (300 plus announced in Spring Branch yesterday) that are sure to continue.

Now the schools will need it and the parents will want more outside help with the schools having fewer resources.

Just a thought. :grouphug::grouphug:

My only question about law school. Does DH want to go to law school or to be a lawyer? Because I would really love to go to law school. Lawyering - not so much. I think there are some of us out there who could just go to school forever. Something to consider.

More :grouphug::grouphug:

Amy

Aubrey, just another perspective. I am mostly a freelance writer (mainly for magazines, but occasionally books and web content), but I also do a little web design on the side. It is not a good place to be if you are thin-skinned. You'll get lots of criticism and mixed messages -- This is fabulous! Change everything! -- people will ask you to meet ridiculous deadlines and then fail to give you the details you need to meet them; you'll probably have to chase down payment. These things stink and can take a major toll. You will have to deal with people A LOT. It is my least favorite thing about this kind of work. Please don't think I'm saying this to discourage you! I just think there's a lot more dealing with people in this line of work than *I* personally expected, so I thought I would share.

Dealing with financial worries is no fun at all. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I think you're very brave to open yourself and your ideas up this way and to be willing to try something new. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

My dh is also doing web design on the side, & he's having the same experience.