Menu

YE? NE? Does it matter to you as a Christian?

Does your Christian faith hinge upon the "Young Earth" interpretation?  

1. 1. Does your Christian faith hinge upon the "Young Earth" interpretation?

• It's the cornerstone of my faith.
    • It matters a lot, but it's not the most important issue of my faith.
    • It's neither important, nor unimportant. I'm neutral on the issue.
    • It matters a little bit but there are far more important issues.
    • I am Christian but I think the earth is older than 10,000ish years.
    • The entire debate is utterly stupid.

Honestly....I don't care how old the earth is and haven't really pondered it. I just know that God created it.

:iagree: I have WeePip quoted in my sig saying nearly the exact same thing.

ETA, I guess I should add that I believe the Bible literally, but how old the earth is just doesn't matter to me. I voted neutral.

Edited by lionfamily1999

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If asked I'm an old earther, but the whole young earth/old earth debate is not something that gets my panties in a twist.

This is me, too. While I'm firmly planted in the Old Earth theory, I really don't give a rip either way; to each their own and so it goes. It doesn't seem reasonable to me to argue so vehemently about something we can't know for sure - discuss, absolutely, but to argue about it and try to ruin people and their work and everything else, well, I'm just sorry SWB is getting sucked into this mess.

The thing about the Genesis debate is this: If we can discard Genesis as not being literal, what else can we discard? If the OT isn't literal, what about the NT? Was Christ really Christ? Was He needed? Was there a Great War in Heaven? If Adam wasn't literal, then... what's the point? What was the Sacrifice for? That's why people get their drawers in such a wad over this.

FYI, the above is frequently only an area of concern for those who believe in a literal creation. ;) For those who beleive, but not in the OT as a history or science book, the above is a false dichotomy.

Many who have a different, Christian, perspective on scriptures only get their drawers in a wad when other Christians assert the non literalists can't be Christians.

Enter Ken Ham (et al).

The point was, that's where and why the debate comes in. I don't assume that those with OE leanings are non Christians. I also wouldn't feel comfortable using their products in our school, or going to a church where the pastor was OE. And those are the reasons why. It's not that I don't think they can't be Christian. That's none of my business. But it does make me wonder where else they're willing to (and I hate to say this word, because of the association with the kerfluffle) compromise with the Word.

And I've been called some pretty nasty names by OE'ers, and evolutionists, because of my YE beliefs. We're not the only ones who get our drawers in a wad.

Edited by kchara

The point was, that's where and why the debate comes in. I don't assume that those with OE leanings are non Christians. I also wouldn't feel comfortable using their products in our school, or going to a church where the pastor was YE. And those are the reasons why. It's not that I don't think they can't be Christian. That's none of my business. But it does make me wonder where else they're willing to (and I hate to say this word, because of the association with the kerfluffle) compromise with the Word.

And I've been called some pretty nasty names by OE'ers, and evolutionists, because of my YE beliefs. We're not the only ones who get our drawers in a wad.

You mean OE here?

I believe in a literal translation of the Bible. I believe in a 6 day creation and a young earth. HOWEVER, I also believe it has absolutely no bearing on salvation. I can't stop thinking of Paul's words in I Corinthians 2:2. "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified."

I am honestly disgusted that this has become such a big issue.

For me, how the earth was created is not a religious issue, it's a science issue.

As such, I think it would be wrong to get too invested in one explanation being correct.

I think evolution is the best explanation we currently have, but I am open to the idea that new evidence could lead to a better theory.

I believe in an old earth but it has nothing to do with my faith in God or in Jesus Christ as my savior. I don't know how to say this without putting someone's panties in a wad, as it was put, but my faith in God isn't determined by the Bible, it's determined by the truth I feel in my heart. If someone announced tomorrow that the Bible had all been a big hoax and had proof...I still would have faith in God because I feel his presence in my life daily telling me that this is the right path for me. Sometimes I think people make their faith into something far to convoluted and difficult. That may be extremely simplistic to many of you but there it is. My .02.

Edited to add: It doesn't bother me that others don't believe in an old earth either because I don't believe that that should have any bearing on your faith. For what its worth it doesn't bother me if someone doesn't have a specific faith either. Maybe I'm too naive but it really has no bearing on me and my faith what anyone else believes. I've discussed my faith with others who don't hold the same views if they are interested in mine, but I would never, never presume to think that I have the right to beat them over the head with it.

Edited by 5LittleMonkeys

You need an "other" option.

I am a theistic evolutionist and that IS a cornerstone of my faith. If YEC were to be true, it would totally have to change my concept of G-d!

I have studied Genesis deeply -learned Hebrew, PaDReS, etc. I studied in a group with an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi, and several other pastors/ministers/etc. I began it as a non-believer who wanted to pick it apart to disprove it. I have done many precepts classes, etc on this book. I have prayed extensively and I have taken the entire creation story and looked at it LETTER by LETTER!

IMHO, Genesis 1 is the most perfect thing ever written. I honestly believe that Genesis 1-2:3 was written by G-d himself. It is the testimony of G-d to Man. The rest of the Bible is just man trying to get back to G-d. However, there is nothing literal about it. I cannot figure out how people see it literally (but it's not something I am going to argue about as we are all on our path with G-d). It is so perfectly balanced, so symbolic, and so deep that I find it sad that it's meaning is lost among arguments over "how" G-d made the Earth.

My concept of G-d is an evolutionary G-d. He is not a G-d of instant gratification. Our entire life individually and collectively is spent in spiritual evolution. We are constantly evolving or devolving in regards to our relationship with him. When he wants to accomplish something with us, it maybe a simple word and second his part but it may take a lifetime for it to be realized down here on earth. When I see evidence of evolution, I see G-d's handprint all over it and it makes me feel closer to him.

Whatever my personal beliefs, I don't care what others believe. I could be totally wrong in my interpretation. I don't think that one's salvation hangs on their interpretation of creation. In real life, I don't think it matters much if one is a creationist or evolutionist unless one is a field directly related to it.

Edited by AuntPol

My concept of G-d is an evolutionary G-d. He is not a G-d of instant gratification. Our entire life individually and collectively is spent in spiritual evolution. We are constantly evolving or devolving in regards to our relationship with him. When he wants to accomplish something with us, it maybe a simple word and second his part but it may take a lifetime for it to be realized down here on earth.

I have often thought this myself. It's a slow, organic process.

What a great post. And I wish I knew what you know about it.

If were important for us to know how God created the Earth, there'd be a lot more than 2 chapters of the Bible devoted to it.

Every time I read those chapters, I am amazed anew. The Bible doesn't give scientific explanations for the resurrection of Jesus, for the Egyptian plagues, the falling of the walls of Jericho, and so on. Lack of an explicit scientific explanation doesn't hinder my faith.

I don't personally care how God created the earth. If the Bible said that it took millions of years, I would be quite happy with that. Since the Bible says it took 6 days, I am happy with that. Don't mistake that to mean I don't care about the geological implications. I've done a lot of reading about that and am firmly YE.

One thing that strikes me in regard to this debate and that I rarely hear discussed are the verses Genesis 1:24,25.

"And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good."

What, exactly, does a theistic evolutionist do with that?

No one has to answer that. I'm not looking to start a debate. I just wonder about it.

Edited by Meriwether

... I feel that the Bible is the inerrant word of God and that it cannot fail no matter the subject, so I hate to see doubt cast on any part of it.

I believe it is absolutely accurate, regardless whether one defends YE/OE. What I doubt is man's interpretation of God's Word.

I liked the God/ shabby chic analogy, lol.

God is not a Deceiver-- Proverbs 25:2. He is an artist and a scientist, and He mixes both with an amazing, accurate, and creative ingenuity. :D

See now, I've heard this argument before, but wouldn't that make God a deciever? "Tricking" us into thinking the world is older than it is? What would be the purpose of that? <-- rhetorical questions there.

I've heard these questions before, but I don't get why it would be trickery. If the universe and everything in it really was created in 6 literal days, the earth would have to be ready to support plants, animals, and people. If Adam was created in the blink of an eye, I believe he would have been created as an adult, not an infant; so it's not a stretch to apply that to the rest of creation. It would be a situation where observation doesn't seem to agree with what really happened, but it's explainable, so it's not trickery. If that's how it happened. :D

I used to be staunch YE. My DH is OE. I am now a "I believe God created it in 7 days, but if they are 7 literal days, or if each day=an age, it matters not to me" Creationist. I think there's evidence for both sides and I refuse to be dogmatic.

Means absolutely nothing to me what age a Christian believes the earth to be.

I'm a theistic evolotionist (is that the right word??). I think the theory of evolution is a possible theory for "How God Did It". We probably will never know for sure, this side of Heaven, HOW God created the universe, our world, us, etc. and IMO, it's not necessary for our Salvation to know for sure. What we DO need to know is that He sent His Son, that He died for us, and that all of us can recieve forgiveness if we believe on His Name.

:iagree:

It really saddens me that YE/OE causes so much division amongst Christians. I've spent a lot of time researching and I believe in OE. That said, I don't think the age of the earth is very important; Jesus is.

"It matters to me very much....just wouldn't say it is a cornerstone, meaning I don't think it is a matter of salvation.

Having said that I feel that the Bible is the inerrant word of God and that it cannot fail no matter the subject, so I hate to see doubt cast on any part of it. Now I might not like everything that Ken Ham has said/done recently, but I agree 100 percent with him when he says that "the Bible is not a science book, but where it touches on matters of science, it is perfectly accurate."

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

You need an "other" option.

I am a theistic evolutionist and that IS a cornerstone of my faith. If YEC were to be true, it would totally have to change my concept of G-d!

I have studied Genesis deeply -learned Hebrew, PaDReS, etc. I studied in a group with an Orthodox Jewish Rabbi, and several other pastors/ministers/etc. I began it as a non-believer who wanted to pick it apart to disprove it. I have done many precepts classes, etc on this book. I have prayed extensively and I have taken the entire creation story and looked at it LETTER by LETTER!

IMHO, Genesis 1 is the most perfect thing ever written. I honestly believe that Genesis 1-2:3 was written by G-d himself. It is the testimony of G-d to Man. The rest of the Bible is just man trying to get back to G-d. However, there is nothing literal about it. I cannot figure out how people see it literally (but it's not something I am going to argue about as we are all on our path with G-d). It is so perfectly balanced, so symbolic, and so deep that I find it sad that it's meaning is lost among arguments over "how" G-d made the Earth.

My concept of G-d is an evolutionary G-d. He is not a G-d of instant gratification. Our entire life individually and collectively is spent in spiritual evolution. We are constantly evolving or devolving in regards to our relationship with him. When he wants to accomplish something with us, it maybe a simple word and second his part but it may take a lifetime for it to be realized down here on earth. When I see evidence of evolution, I see G-d's handprint all over it and it makes me feel closer to him.

Whatever my personal beliefs, I don't care what others believe. I could be totally wrong in my interpretation. I don't think that one's salvation hangs on their interpretation of creation. In real life, I don't think it matters much if one is a creationist or evolutionist unless one is a field directly related to it.

What a rich, beautiful post. Thank you.

I think the earth is old and the universe is older. I have problems with 6000 yo earth from the get go without even hitting geology because we have cultures on earth that are older. But this is how I view science and history.

With regards to my faith, I am with Wendywholou and others who have stated that our salvation rests in Jesus and not in our view of the first chapters of Genesis. Neither does anyone else's so I don't see how this is a salvation issue.

I wish I could vote for two things, the second being "The entire debate is utterly stupid". Or at least this is how I feel this week after this whole mess! I think the earth is OLD, but I really don't care that much and don't get why this seems to be such a HUGE issue among Christians. Or at least why it needs to continue to be discussed and debated, when people know what they themselves believe. Seems to me like a pretty minor issue when compared with other stuff that might make a difference in your life (or after).

I'm not neutral. I definitely am young earth. I definitely believe the earth was created in 6 days. I believe my God is an awesome God and can do anything. If he said let there be trees, then there were trees - full grown beautiful trees.

But my hubby, dear man that he is, believes in an old earth. He believes that could have created full grown trees. But he believes what actually happened is that God said let there be trees and seeds appeared and grew to full grown, beautiful trees over time.

So b/c dh and I disagree on this and it's not a salvation issue, I am not adamant about it.

I lean toward YE mostly because my father, who is a chemist, has laid out the evidence for it. I haven't researched it myself though and plan to do so with the kids when they are older and we can delve into it.

I think God is still God and all that is in the Bible is still true regardless of how old the Earth is. It should not be an issue that divides the body of Christ. It appears that this debate will join the long list of other debates that have plagued Christendom thus far, however.

I wish I could vote for two things, the second being "The entire debate is utterly stupid". Or at least this is how I feel this week after this whole mess! I think the earth is OLD, but I really don't care that much and don't get why this seems to be such a HUGE issue among Christians. Or at least why it needs to continue to be discussed and debated, when people know what they themselves believe. Seems to me like a pretty minor issue when compared with other stuff that might make a difference in your life (or after).

THis is exactly what I came in here to say! Thanks!

I lean towards YE, but I'm not afraid to say I don't know. I've read a lot on both sides, and I still don't know. I believe the bible is holy and true and that many things are way beyond our understanding. I don't know if God created the earth in 6 literal days. And I don't really care. He is God; He can do whatever He wants! I really don't believe we are meant to know everything. One day we will, but then it really won't matter because we will be with Him in heaven.

That was beautifully said. Thank you!

I am a Christian. I believe God created the earth and all life. When He did that? Don't know. Don't care. There are differing theories - obviously. I do not believe Darwin's theory is accurate. It seems more plausible to me that creation has a creator. I do not believe it is a matter of "life and death" to have the correct answer on this one. I do believe that God deserves all credit and glory for his artistry and the life that He has breathed into each living being.

I also think God's pronouncing, "It is good," rings hollow if indeed He did use a life/death process. At what point is it good?

Is this not akin to ascribing human ideas and opinions to God? "I think death is unpleasant and bad and hence God could not have called creation consisting of death as good".

I teach my children that the earth was created in six days, as it says in the Bible.

However, I personally could care less. I am one of those believers that believes if God can part the Red Sea, if he can renew my soul, he can surely create the entire galaxy in six days if He wanted to.

Personally, everything is too perfectly done to leave it up to a 'wham bam thank you m'am' type of development. But I really do not enjoy any discussion about it.

My husband is a scientist and a Christian, which can wreck your faith if you are looking for solid evidence on either side.

However, after many many years of research, he has settled it in his heart and mind.

Is this not akin to ascribing human ideas and opinions to God? "I think death is unpleasant and bad and hence God could not have called creation consisting of death as good".
Not if our human ideas and opinions are based on being imitators of God and adopting his opinion of good as our own. Here God seems to say that carnivorous behavior is not good:

The wolf and the lamb shall graze together;

the lion shall eat straw like the ox,

and dust shall be the serpentĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s food.

They shall not hurt or destroy

in all my holy mountain,"

says the LORD.--Isaiah 65:25 and Isaiah 11:9

My husband is a scientist and a Christian, which can wreck your faith if you are looking for solid evidence on either side.

However, after many many years of research, he has settled it in his heart and mind.

:thumbup1:

I was a Christian until I was around 30 years old and I never even heard about the YE/OE debate until I started homeschooling 10 years later.

I attended United Methodist and Catholic churches, FWIW.

The first time I heard of it was when dh and I started attending a Lutheran church after we were married - he grew up Lutheran and I thought I could go along with that. I grew up Methodist.

I can't remember how the conversation started, but I was talking with the pastor's wife and one or two other women about how God could have taken as long as He wanted to create the earth. The pastor's wife looked at me and said, "NO. The Bible says God created the world in 7 days, so that is what he did."

Erm, OK. Whatever works for you.

I probably lean towards YE; I do not believe that humans evolved from apes or fish with legs. I don't like reading things that talk about the earth being millions or billions of years old. However, this is not a hill I'm prepared to die on. I want my kids to know that both theories, because that is what they are, are out there. God is the only one who was actually THERE.

I'm with the poster who referenced Isaiah 55:9 - God is the one in charge here and He most definitely has thoughts and ways higher than mine. I am quite sure we cannot comprehend creation.

The whole debate is stupid. It takes our focus of the only point: salvation through Christ.

Means absolutely nothing to me what age a Christian believes the earth to be.

I'm a theistic evolotionist (is that the right word??). I think the theory of evolution is a possible theory for "How God Did It". We probably will never know for sure, this side of Heaven, HOW God created the universe, our world, us, etc. and IMO, it's not necessary for our Salvation to know for sure

Exactly this.

• 2 weeks later...
Honestly....I don't care how old the earth is and haven't really pondered it. I just know that God created it.

Yes, that. I believe God created the earth and that He made man in His image, but beyond that, I really don't care whether He did it by just making it happen or if He created some sort of Big Bang or whatever, and I don't care how long it took for all of that to happen, whether it was six days like we know as a day, or whether the six days of Creation was something less literal.

Edited by happypamama

Secular Evolution - Not sure what to call that. I think if a Christian doesn't believe that God created the world (whether 10 billion years ago or 10K years ago), they've got some glaring inconsistencies in their theology.

That is a big difference from being a salvation issue though.

OE/YE Debate - If an OE believes in the historocity of the OT but feels Genesis 1-2 is poetry literature, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. My FIL believes in an OE. He believe in the literal creation event but feels the chronology of Genesis isn't exhaustive. He's as orthodox as they come.

I do believe one's principles for biblical hermeneutics are very, very important. There is a line in the sand. Once you start chucking out Adam, the Flood...what's next? You have to discount Paul because he mentions Adam. You have to discount Jesus because he mentions the Flood as historical fact. Eventually you are left on some very shaky ground.

Edited by Daisy

:iagree:

I lean on the "Young Earth" side. I believe Genesis literally . . . It simplifies things for ME. But I agree with a previous poster that God can do things anyway He chooses, over any time period He chooses. I definitely think there are bigger faith issues than this one and would not attempt to argue with those who are old earth believers. My dh leans on the old earth side.

Why I believe in a literal Adam and Eve and a literal OT: Our Lord Jesus Christ considered the canon of Scripture as GodĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Word, written by the hand of men. He did not believe nor teach that Scripture is, to a very significant degree, manĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s word. He believed the Old Testament was historical fact. This is very clear, even though from the Creation (cf. Genesis 2:24 and Matthew 19:4, 5) onward, much of what He believed has long been under fire by critics, as being mere fiction.

He believed the books were written by the men whose names they bear, including Isaiah, allowing for predictive prophecy. Mark 7:6Ă¢â‚¬â€œ13; John 12:37Ă¢â‚¬â€œ41 He believed the Old Testament was spoken by God Himself, or written by the Holy SpiritĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s inspiration, even though the pen was held by men: Matthew 19:4, 5; 22:31, 32, 43; Mark 12:26; Luke 20:37. He believed Scripture was more powerful than His miracles: Luke 16:29, 31. He actually quoted it in overthrowing Satan! The O.T. Scriptures were the arbiter in every dispute: Matthew 4; Luke 16:29, 31. May all who read this adopt JesusĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ attitude and become subject both to Him as Living Word (living Torah) and to the Bible as the infallible, written Word of God.

paraphrased from: http://creation.com/jesus-christ-on-...y-of-scripture

I do not claim to know what anyone else here claims to believe on these matters, I only know that I agree with the author of this article.

[Once you start chucking out Adam, the Flood...what's next? You have to discount Paul because he mentions Adam. You have to discount Jesus because he mentions the Flood as historical fact. Eventually you are left on some very shaky ground./QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Good point. You either believe it all or you don't. I do.

So we've delved into atheism quite a bit the past few weeks.

As an atheist, I'm looking at this Ham person and thinking, "What the heck??"

Since apparently neither side can prove to the satisfaction of the other side the age of the earth, does it matter to you whether the earth is 10,000 years old and was created in 6 days or not? Do you feel it makes the bible somehow less significant if science shows the earth to be older than that?

Why does it matter?

I don't think it really does matter. I personally believe God created at least the stars and universe several billion years ago, and very likely created the earth several (a smaller several) billion years ago, too. I am willing to accept that evolution may have played a part in His creation, also, though I am closer to a progressive creation believer than a theistic evolution believer. I do believe that Adam, Eve, Noah, etc were real people.

I was a young earth believer for 15 years or so--starting when I first researched homeschooling, and first heard the idea. Up until then, I had taken the Bible literally (except where it is clearly meant to be read otherwise), but never even thought to add up the ages in genealogies to figure out how long ago, especially since there are many people whose ages are never mentioned.

When I first read young earth literature, I was convinced by it, but I never fully bought into the idea that a Christian could not believe in an older earth without rejecting the Bible as God's infallible word. (After all, God also emphasizes that we humans are very fallible--it is almost certain that none of us is correct in our understanding of every single detail of the Bible.) [i later came to doubt that the young earth explanations for such things as light from distant galaxies were credible, and from there came to believe in an old universe, and then an old earth.]

However, many young earth creation believers are convinced that any other understanding of the early chapters of Genesis is a rejection of God's word as an authority in our lives and/or is equivalent to calling God a liar. Since a rejection of God's authority and/or calling him a liar is incompatible with Christianity, that is the root of their opposition to all other interpretations. [Note: I specified that MANY, not ALL young earth believers see things this way. The literature I read often stated this directly.]

However, the key point of the story of Creation in Gen. 1-2 is that God is responsible for all that exists, and that He had a purpose in causing it to exist. The precise mechanism and timing that he used to bring that about is not the point.

Edited by Spock

I believe the earth is old and that God created everything. I voted for the utterly stupid category though because I think it is a useless argument. No one's salvation rides on how old they believe the earth is or isn't.

I think it's a complete waste of time to argue it when we could be using our energy and time to do what God really wants us to do - taking care of each other, taking better care of the earth and so forth. What a complete waste of time in my opinion.

Wow, I'm not usually so forceful with my words. I guess this whole thing bugs me more than I realized.

Denise

This

If asked I'm an old earther, but the whole young earth/old earth debate is not something that gets my panties in a twist.

This

I am a Christian. My salvation is not found in Genesis. It's found in Jesus.

and This :iagree::iagree::iagree:

What I wonder about is -- if the earth's animals significantly pre-date the arrival of mankind in the form of an actual Adam and Eve, why would that be a Fallen World (with deaths, animals eating each other, disease etc.) if Original Sin had not occurred yet?

And if Adam and Eve fit into an evolutionary context, how?

If Genesis is not true, how on earth can I take God at His Word in the rest of the Scriptures?

I'm a very simple person. I kinda believe that when God says something, He means it. I do recognize allegory. I do understand poetry. But . . . as a studied literary critic, I can find nothing in the language of Genesis 1 that suggests He might be speaking allegorically or poetically . . . or leaving gaps in the information to allow for death and destruction and millions of years of evolution.

*sigh* But then, I am one of those incredibly narrow minded dolts that would actually be willing to die on the young Earth mountain before standing down to "science". I especially cannot in good conscience stand down when science simply cannot prove what they have theorized either by demonstration nor by giving witness to their theories. I don't care what "science" thinks they know. They themselves have affirmed multiple times that they cannot prove what they "know" without observable, repeatable, and testable evidence one way or another. Since no "science" to this point can do any of those things in regards to Earth's origins, I'm going with the Diety account. Screw "science" so-called.

How on earth could plants have been created on day three and somehow survive for thousands or even millions of years without the light of the heavenly bodies, which were created on day four? Why would God say, "It is VERY good!" when the world had millions of years of death and destruction of evolution to reach the point of perfection? Didn't God give us the impression that death and disease were a result of the Fall: i.e. could NOT have occurred beforehand? If not, then what is the curse of sin exactly? Not death, certainly, as we have been taught are the "wages of sin." Why do I need the Bible at all if we are no better off now than we were before the first sin? Who needs a Savior in that kind of world? If death happens anyway, then what was the problem with Adam and Eve being told they would die?

In the day they ate of the fruit, Adam and Eve witnessed the first death. They were, in one instant, doomed to die, but a lamb was mercifully slain in their stead as a symbol of One Who would be born to take on Death for them. Adam and Eve died to God on that day and were cast out of the Garden. They no longer enjoyed unmediated fellowship with God. Their bodies began the slow course of death that would eventually bury them many years later. None of this is even worth studying if six days of creation is not literally true.