Menu

Do you usually read the replies on a thread before making yours?

I usually read the whole thread, then add my post. But just now, I posted on someone's thread with just reading the original post (and there were quite a few subsequent posts). It felt--weird. Almost like a blunder in a conversation--almost disrespectful.

What do you do?

I read them totally through. If it's a long thread that looks interesting, I will read it in chunks as I'm on off and on through the day until I'm caught up to speed. What esp. bugs me if when there is a thread where the OP has updated (esp. a prayer request type thread) and people are obviously still responding to the OP and not the update.

I usually read them all before I reply unless it's something asking for a true personal preference/opinion that won't be influenced by other posts. If I can tell that a real conversation has developed, I'll wait to post until I've read or at least skimmed everything, just to make sure my post isn't coming out of left field.

Not reading the replies. :001_smile:

I'm about half and half.

Sometimes I want to respond to a post but I don't have time to read through the entire conversation or I don't want my thoughts to be influenced by peer pressure. :001_smile: Sometimes after I respond I'll go back and read other's thoughts and edit or post again. Sometimes I'll wish that I had read the conversation first. Oh well. It's all good. Right? I never thought it was rude or disrespectful.

Almost always, but sometimes they're just too long.

:iagree: If the thread is really long, I'll skim before posting. Occasionally, I'll post before reading any of the other posts; when I do that, I usually include a disclaimer stating that I haven't read any of the other replies.