Menu

Thoughts on preschool?

My oldest attended a preschool/kindergarten for three years and we will be HSing starting in first grade. It was an absolutely wonderful experience for him.

My youngest is going to be starting preschool next year. I want her to have the same opportunity to attend the school that has worked so well for our family even though I know that I will most likely eventually end up HSing her as well.

Are there other many other HSing families who still send their children to preschool or is it something I'm going to find myself getting tsk-tsked over, LOL?

My DD went to preschool and loved it. The part-time was just enough social and classroom time for her and since it was mostly hands on, she could find her own level. Kindergarten, not so much, which is why we ended up pulling her to homeschool.

I would have no hesitation in sending another child to part-time preschool, with the expectation that we'd start homeschooling in K, so long as it was a developmental preschool and not an academic one (academics are easy to add at home if the child is ready for them, and if they're not, all the worksheets in the world won't make them ready).

I really wish there were the equivalent of a part-time preschool for older kids-a place DD could go for a few hours a couple of days a week, do crafts, get social interaction, have some outside play time, with no expectation of academics. I think we would both benefit from the break.

My daughter is attending preschool and will attend again next year. After that I will begin homeschooling her for kindergarten. It is three days a week for two hours and she loves it. The director of this particular preschool is someone I have known for 25 years and she was the preschool teacher for my oldest four. My oldest son is now 21 years old and she was his preschool teacher and she sadly said "Aww, I'm so sad that we're at the end of the line." when I signed up my daughter. She is wonderful with children and meets and encourages every child right where they are. She was amazing with my highly gifted child and is just as good with children who are a little slower. She is also a big supporter of homeschooling and her own grandchildren are homeschooled. The benefit to me is that my daughter gets out to make some friends and I get some uninterrupted school time with my son.

I am all over the map schooling wise. However, I was a preschool/prek teacher for 3 years. So I chose to do that at home. I do send them to Kindy (pvt school) and then we HS. I just love kids to have the kindy experience it was my favorite school year I was so close to my teacher for 20 years after I left kindy. All my girls did 1st grade at home.. I have had some flip flopping in between and getting back on track with HS for my 1st, 4th & 8th graders next year. My 2 year old will do preschool/prek at home and attend Kindy and then school at home 1st & up.

That is what works for us, if the opposite works for your family I say go for it. :D

My dc went to preschool but I would have kept my second one home if we had started home schooling sooner. He went a couple of mornings a week when dd was in first grade. Once they were k and 2nd we started home schooling and they had each other and play time with other kids.

I've sent all my kids to preschool - starting because I was teaching at the preschool, then because they loved it, it gave me a little break from entertaining very young ones while teaching young ones, and now because it makes my life so easy to have a child come home knowing their letters, sounds, numbers and starting to get used to writing.

If I could find a relaxed preschool with a "playschool" mentality, I would totally send my 3yo for it to be something fun for him to do... To have his OWN friends, to let him be out of the house on his own, etc, etc. But really, I don't want something that would teach much academics, just let the kids have fun and play in a good environment. It would also have to not cost me a fortune. LOL

My oldest attended a preschool/kindergarten for three years and we will be HSing starting in first grade. It was an absolutely wonderful experience for him.

My youngest is going to be starting preschool next year. I want her to have the same opportunity to attend the school that has worked so well for our family even though I know that I will most likely eventually end up HSing her as well.

Are there other many other HSing families who still send their children to preschool or is it something I'm going to find myself getting tsk-tsked over, LOL?

Hi Wabi Sabi,

I plan on homeschooling my kids and my oldest is currently in a parent co-op preschool two days a week and will move up to three days next year. Had he not been able to get into the parent co-op preschool though I would not have enrolled him in preschool.

His current preschool is fantastic! He adores his teacher and looks forward to each class. It is definitely more of a "playschool" then a "preschool". They do lots of free time, outside play, stories, imaginitive play, field trips and tons of crafts. My son has two younger twin sibling so it is also a chance for him to have a little time to himself :001_smile:.

So my thoughts are if you and your children like your current preschool then stick with it! If their philosophy is close to yours the transition from them to homeschooling will be fine. Trust your instincts!

Marisa

Becca attended a MDO preschool 2 days a week for 2 years. She loved it. She was actually a little beyond what they were teaching, so it wasn't academic, but she really enjoyed herself. We actually didn't decide to homeschool until the end of her 4 yo year. So we started hsing Becca for K and sent Sylvia to the same preschool. She lasted 4 months. :lol: She just didn't want to go back after Christmas break and we weren't invested in her going, so she came home. There's no difference in their academic or social aptitudes, so it's really what works best for you and your family.

:bigear:

I've been wondering about this too. Most people around here begin looking for a 2 times a week, half day program when their child is 3.

My concern for my family is that the preschool programs I've heard about from friends or seen advertisements for are all about prep for K and getting ready for school.

I want to homeschool and I can't get past paying money to have DS out of the house to prep for something I have no intention of sending him to.

IDK, everyone around here loves their preschools, but they also send or plan to send their kids a charter, private, or specific public school.

I think I would send my son if I could. My only regret is that my daughter got it in her head that this was what school was like. You know, short fun days, etc.

I'm sure some will tsk-tsk at whatever you do. BUT, both my kids went to preschool and had a wonderful time. I knew I was going to homeschool by the time my daughter was in preschool, but I didn't want her to miss out on all the fun her brother had. If I had another child, I'd feel like I was shortchanging them if I didn't send them too.

Lisa

DD4 goes to preK 2days/week for 2.5hrs. It's a play-based program w/ animals, chickens, horses, gardens etc. She'll go next year 3days/week. When she is in preK, I do read alouds w/ my 5th and 2nd grader. She often interrupts and make it not a pleasant time. I need the break from her as well. WE're having issues right now - she doesn't want to go to preK. I don't know if it's the school, transition issues, or what. I'm currently undecided as to if she will go next year....it would save us $160/month. But if she wants to go, it's definitely worth it for quite while I work w/ the boys.

My dd will attend the same play based pre-school that her siblings have attended. In our small town it is the easiest way to hook her up with peers/friends. She will get to do lots of messy activities I am long over and it will give my older kid 2hrs/2x a week when we can do something without interruption.

I just signed my 3-year-old up for a Mothers' Day Out program for the fall, 2 days a week. I'm hoping she will benefit from being with other kids her age and having some time focused on doing 3-year-old things. She seems to always want to be a baby like her brother or get frustrated because she can't do what her sister does.

It's not a preschool, so there's nothing academic about it.

we did the same thing and don't regret it a bit. My younger son was in preschool the first 3 years I homeschooled my older, and just last September when he graduated he joined us when he would have gone to ps kindergarten. I actually love having him home, and sometimes think we would be much better off financially if we hadn't paid those extra years of preschool, but overall it was great for our family.

My son had a marvelous time in nursery school. We were fortunate to have a coop (where parents worked one day a week in the school) which made the program very reasonable, allowed us to see our child in action, and allowed us (and him) to make friendships that have endured.

Bill

I am torn on this as well. DS will be four in November, and I would like to send him to the same preschool that DD went to. However, it is a lot of money for two mornings per week, and I'm not too excited about getting up to drive him and watching the clock and then picking him up (15 minutes each way). There is a cheaper option at the local high school, but it starts really early in the morning (like 7am) and there is no real structure to the program.

I'll probably end up sending him for the extra time to spend on academics with DD and so he can have fun and learn some basics.

I'm not sure about K for DS when the time comes. I guess it depends on our situation and if I want to continue homeschooling at all at that point. I can already see he will likely be an early reader, so if K is like DD's program this year, he will probably not get much out of it.

If I could find a preschool that fit my philosophy (play based, mostly outdoors, no sit-down Pre-K work), was close by, did not have a huge wait list, didn't require us to be up early, and was also affordable then I would absolutely do it. Finding even one of these is tough, but meeting even half my criteria is impossible.

At our last duty station the base sponsored an absolutely wonderful drop in playgroup 3x/week for up to age 5 that was structured very much like a good preschool: outdoor toys, sand/water table, blocks, playdoh, a teacher led craft (she as a volunteer ex-preschool teacher), monthly optional field trips, and 20 minutes of stories and songs. It wasn't a break, as parents had to stay and supervise their kid but it was virtually free and required no commitment - you just came if you felt like it. We loved it and made great friends there!

Right now we belong to an awesome family and nature group that goes on hikes several times a week. The weekday morning hikes are almost all preschoolers and its an awesome group of people so I feel its a good stand in for regular preschool given all of the other stuff we do with the YMCA, museum memberships, etc.

There is a preschool program at a small farm that I would probably send my boys to if we lived a bit closer and had more money. It's the only one that has ever tempted me. Lots of outdoor time, whatever the weather, and lots of farm involvement. Luckily the farm has a jr farmer program that has a schedule and price better suited for us, so DS4 will start that in a couple of weeks. If your children enjoy it and it works for your family, I don't see a problem.

The drop-in group sounds really nice, but I love the hiking group idea! I wish I knew of something like that near me. How lovely.

If I could find a preschool that fit my philosophy (play based, mostly outdoors, no sit-down Pre-K work), was close by, did not have a huge wait list, didn't require us to be up early, and was also affordable then I would absolutely do it. Finding even one of these is tough, but meeting even half my criteria is impossible.

At our last duty station the base sponsored an absolutely wonderful drop in playgroup 3x/week for up to age 5 that was structured very much like a good preschool: outdoor toys, sand/water table, blocks, playdoh, a teacher led craft (she as a volunteer ex-preschool teacher), monthly optional field trips, and 20 minutes of stories and songs. It wasn't a break, as parents had to stay and supervise their kid but it was virtually free and required no commitment - you just came if you felt like it. We loved it and made great friends there!

Right now we belong to an awesome family and nature group that goes on hikes several times a week. The weekday morning hikes are almost all preschoolers and its an awesome group of people so I feel its a good stand in for regular preschool given all of the other stuff we do with the YMCA, museum memberships, etc.

All of my kids have gone to preschool and loved it. I wasn't going to send my youngest since we had started homeschooling and I couldn't justify spending the money. My parents felt strongly that she should go and offered to pay and we accepted. I still wouldn't want to spend my money on it, but I have to admit that she has really enjoyed it and has gotten more out of it than I expected.

My girls both went to preschool, and loved it. I had no idea I would be homeschooling when I sent them, but I probably would have sent them anyway. Emma went to a very academically-oriented preschool. I had no idea there were such variations in preschool programs; a friend of mine sent her child there, and it was close to our house, so that's where I sent Emma. Also, they had a program for 2.5 year old children, and not every place will take 2 year olds, so that was great. I was losing my mind when the girls were 2 and 1 - it was a life saver for me.

Abbie went to the same preschool until she was going to be 4. There was just something that didn't sit right with me at that school anymore. We found a fabulous learning through play preschool (Peace Presbyterian Children's Center in Cary, if anyone lives there and is looking) and I was SO happy that we moved her over. She went 3 days, for 4 hours. Originally I signed her up thinking I was going to want that extra hour because I was going to work really hard on my MK business. Then, we decided to homeschool Emma instead, and I realized just how much the girls entertained each other, especially during that extra hour when my chatterbox Emma never. stopped. talking. :willy_nilly:

Schmooey goes to preschool now. When we moved here last year, we found a wonderful "Children's Morning Out" program very close to our house. They only have one class per age group, and the teachers are fantastic. He was able to go for the last 6 weeks of the school year right after we moved. He *really* didn't like it. I thought, "Hey, I'm a homeschooler! If he doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to go!" I was excited about getting to teach him at home. However, half way through the summer, he got excited about going back, so we did send him and he has loved it.

I really, really wanted to have him at home for preschool. However, my dh strongly believed that he should go to preschool somewhere else, and since Schmooey WANTED to go, I decided to send him. It's been awesome. First of all, it's made a huge difference in Schmooey's behavior. He is nearly an only child in some ways, very spoiled, and doesn't have to share very often. We don't have many friends with children his age. He's made some good friends there and we just learned that another little girl who lives on our street is in his class - she started some time after the new year!

Also, Schmooey seems to be determined that there will be nothing educational happening in our home if he has anything to say about it. As far as I can tell, he's on a personal mission to cause as much mayhem as possible if I am not actually looking at him. Having 2 mornings a week without his sweet little self causing havoc has been so wonderful, I have no words to tell you. Next year, he's going for 3 mornings! :lol:

Preschool has been great for us. I'm looking forward to having Schmooey at home too, but I'm glad he's going. I do miss him, but he's having a blast. I have *no* academic expectations for preschool, even though I do think the school he's going to has a really good program and they've assured me he will be "ready for kindergarten," whatever that means. :D

DS4 is at kindy 2 days a week, and might go to pre-primary (daily) next year, depending on the format of the pre-primary programme available to us. Kindy is hands-on, learning through play, and has a strong focus on inter-personal skills. I can't easily or practically offer the same opportunities at home. I am not suggesting that all public school kindy programmes here are like this, but the one we have chosen is great.

I have heard various reports about pre-primary here, so I still need to do some investigation.

Dd10 attended school from aged 5-7 (3 yrs). I felt that the first two years were hugely beneficial to her. They were very hands-on and self-directed, and offered a wide range of experiences. The third year (Gr1) was different. It was much more "traditional school", with more desk time, and the teacher was ... unimpressive. I felt that after that year she became much more reliant on having someone manage her free time - we began to hear "I'm bored" a lot.

ETA: Ds's school here runs from 8:45 to 2:45, which works well. Dd's school used to run from 7:30 to 2, which was much more taxing!

Edited by nd293

I had an inkling we were going to homeschool when I sent Zach to pre-school. It was a total disaster LOL he had been home with me since birth and it just did't click with him at all---he had already started learning to read so he knew the basic stuff they were teaching the kids--basicly he wouldn't sit still and listen to the teacher I think because he was bored LOL and the teacher didn't really put much effort into him and we were asked NOT to come back LOL he was there a week..... looking back it was a total waste of energy LOL----