Menu

Has anyone actually called and dealt with RR??

Can I say I am not impressed?? Let me start by saying this was NOT a cheap order.

First of all, the website does not let a customer know when something is back ordered.

Secondly, IF it is apart of a set.. you won't even get an e-mail notification.

Thirdly, their stock date is only an estimate.

Now I don't need this until the end of August. But because I like to know what's going to happen, I asked what would happen if the manufacturer didn't have them in stock by then. She proceeds to tell me that it was a set (that all of the other pieces to have shipped) and I got a great deal and a discount, and since they were *cheap*, they would offer no compensation if they didn't get them in by the time I needed them :rant:

WHAT??? I don't care if because it was part of a set I got a deal, or that they were cheap. But what I do care about is that it *was* apart of the over $60 worth of manipulatives I purchased... so I should either get the item, or be refunded a small part of the total fee. Now this may never come to pass... the manufacture may get them in and all will be well. But I could tell the lady at the other end was older, and talked to me as if I was younger and therefore clueless. She also did not seem to have any patience for questions, and of course that last bit I was not happy with. They may be cheaper, but this being my second order, I am not sure I like the way they do business. I was *really* impressed with their Bio, and felt I was ordering from a great company with a family feel, but I have to say... I am not impressed.

Edited by missesd
spelling

I just called them this morning to make sure all of my items were in stock and had a nice lady. (I wish they had a My Account feature on the website!) But, I was under the impression that you could cancel an item if it were back ordered and receive a full refund for that portion? Maybe I misunderstood what you are saying? Can you get the item elsewhere?

Sorry.... :(

When I called and canceled a part of my order, they were great.

When they've had things backordered from my order, they waited about 5-10 days to see if the items came in. If they didn't, after the 5-10 days they shipped what was there and the later order came when it arrived. Unfortunately that's where the wait was always frustrating.

But I had good experiences dealing with them. Sorry you had a bad one.

I've been using RR for a long, long time. They are almost always extremely helpful. It is true that their notification system for backorders is terrible. I also agree that I've had things take a really long time to get to me, and I don't order from them when I need an item quickly.

I just called them this morning to make sure all of my items were in stock and had a nice lady. (I wish they had a My Account feature on the website!) But, I was under the impression that you could cancel an item if it were back ordered and receive a full refund for that portion? Maybe I misunderstood what you are saying? Can you get the item elsewhere?

I think it was part of a set? For example, maybe geoboards in the early grades for Horizons? Sounds like the OP received the rest of the set. I do think it's too bad that they didn't offer *some* kind of compensation, at least enough for you to buy those items elsewhere.

It was apart of a kit they put together to go with the Saxon K-3 program. One part of the kit is on back order, and the rest has shipped. I've got time, so I don't care about the back order. But her response to what would happen if they didn't get it in by AUGUST (a full 5 mo) later left me :eek: Plus, I didn't appreciate being talked down to. I didn't understand what shipped and what didn't. I asked for clarification, her reply was "29 items shipped in a box to you today... does that help??" Her tone was rather snotty, and no, if I don't know *what* they are, it doesn't really help :confused:

I think it was part of a set? For example, maybe geoboards in the early grades for Horizons? Sounds like the OP received the rest of the set. I do think it's too bad that they didn't offer *some* kind of compensation, at least enough for you to buy those items elsewhere.

ahhh....

Yikes. I need to call them and I've been putting it off. I placed an order at the end of February and it's not yet shipped. I specifically ordered it rather than purchase at the SE convention because I needed some of the items sooner than that. Well, uh... oops. Now I'm waiting. :(

When we began homeschooling 5 years ago I had to call them about an issue with a return. The customer service women was extremely rude. So rude in fact that I almost sent a letter to them to let them know their customer service people need an attitude adjustment.

I stopped using them for awhile and only recently went back to them.

I know will only order items I am 1000% sure I am going to want.

I just placed my first order with them. I have putting off ordering with them because of things like this that I've heard....I hope I get my order!

My second experience with them was a couple months ago when I ordered probably 10 different books. The next day I called them back and cancelled 2 of the books. The lady said it was fine. A couple days later (and this was the week of the blizzard) someone calls and says that they took my cancellation, but then they had to leave the office quick to miss the blizzard, they had the next day off, and then when they came in to work, the warehouse people had started on their orders before my change had been entered into the computer.

So my books were being shipped and my credit card was already charged for them. She then asked if there was someone I could sell the books to and get my money back. Um, no.:001_huh: Even if there were, it wasn't my mistake. She then told me to donate them to my homeschool group. I said I could ship them back to them and she said that I could if I wanted but then I'd have to pay the postage. Again...:confused::001_huh: They did credit my account for the amount, but their policies left me a bit less than impressed even if it did work out in my favor.

I just placed my first order with them. I have putting off ordering with them because of things like this that I've heard....I hope I get my order!

I am sure you will get your order... albeit slow, unless maybe you paid the extra to expedite your order. But if you have to call them for any reason, then I might worry a little. It seems hit and miss. Today was a miss... lol

I've ordered from them several times. I'm on the West Coast and, while they don't ship as fast as some online retailers, I've always gotten my things quickly. I agree that their backorder system could be better and for that reason I don't order things that I need *right now* from them.

As far as their CS goes I've always had a pleasant experience. Last time I ordered a spiral bound book and it arrived with the last two pages and back cover missing. I phoned CS and they sent out a new one right away, no problems.

I've ordered from them many, many times and never had any problems. I've had to call a few times regarding an order or a backordered item and they have always been super helpful and courteous.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

:iagree: I order from them a couple of times a year and they have always been helpful and courteous. I am sorry it did not go that way for you...

She then told me to donate them to my homeschool group. I said I could ship them back to them and she said that I could if I wanted but then I'd have to pay the postage. Again...:confused::001_huh: They did credit my account for the amount, but their policies left me a bit less than impressed even if it did work out in my favor.

You were upset that they gave you the money back AND told you to keep the books and sell them if you didn't need them? Surely I am missing something here.

If you refuse to wait for the backordered item to arrive in a timely manner, then all you can do is ship the rest of the set back, get a refun, and cancel the backordered item. Me, personally, I would wait for the backordered item to arrive. I have NEVER had an issue with Rainbow Resource.

I have no problem waiting. I think 5 months is more then generous to wait for an item. But the fact is, if it doesn't come by the end of August, then she more or less told me "too bad, too sad, it was cheap, by it elsewhere". To me, that's not good customer service. To not offer the assurance of compensation if it doesn't come in, since it's only an estimate, is just inexcusable... sorry

I have never once been impressed with RR service via phone. I've always felt they were short tempered, annoyed with my business, and generally rude.

And yeah, it's only a great deal on a set, if you actually GET the entire set and in time to actually USE it.

I have never once been impressed with RR service via phone. I've always felt they were short tempered, annoyed with my business, and generally rude.

And yeah, it's only a great deal on a set, if you actually GET the entire set and in time to actually USE it.

No kidding right?

So do you still use them? I have Prime, and I like CBD, I figure IF I can't get something there, then I'll order from them.

Yes. I've been ordering from Rainbow Resource for about almost 10 years now. While I've encountered some slow shipping on certain items, I've always been very happy with every other aspect of their customer service (including phone conversations with their staff).

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them.

I have ordered from them a few times. I have been satisfied with what arrives but very disappointed with any customer service. They seem to have no desire to make the customer happy. I ordered one item that was backordered. I did not receive notice it was backordered until it didn't arrive. There was no estimate of when it would arrive. After waiting more than a month, I was getting nervous, as I needed it. I called to cancel so I could buy it somewhere else. The lady said that since I had received free shipping on the order that I could not cancel it without being charged for shipping. The book was less expensive than shipping would have been. I asked if I could add something else to the order to make up the difference. She said no, that it would then be an entirely new order. :glare: Then she said, so you may as well just wait for it......and sat on the line and waited for me to respond. No offer of I'm sorry, we'll see what we can do to work this out for you. Well, when you put it that way....I figured I really didn't have a choice.

I will always try to order somewhere else first because I was so annoyed with their policy. Amazon's customer service would never have treated me like that.

It was apart of a kit they put together to go with the Saxon K-3 program. One part of the kit is on back order, and the rest has shipped. I've got time, so I don't care about the back order. But her response to what would happen if they didn't get it in by AUGUST (a full 5 mo) later left me :eek: Plus, I didn't appreciate being talked down to. I didn't understand what shipped and what didn't. I asked for clarification, her reply was "29 items shipped in a box to you today... does that help??" Her tone was rather snotty, and no, if I don't know *what* they are, it doesn't really help :confused:

I ordered that set... The two-color plastic counters were back-ordered, but we got them 3 days after the rest of the order. Sorry you've had a bad CS experience-- this was the first time I've heard of bad phone experiences with them. I hope you get what you need before you need it! (And I agree-- 5 months is plenty of time to restock a backorder.)

No kidding right?

So do you still use them? I have Prime, and I like CBD, I figure IF I can't get something there, then I'll order from them.

It really depends on the item. We have prime as well and often times it is hard to beat amazon prices, tho I admit RR is the most likely one of most suppliers to do so.

If it is SEVERAL somethings I cannot get elsewhere that I am already placing an order with, then I will order from RR, but only if I'm willing to wait. Their shipping takes f.o.r.e.v.e.r. And I can't bear paying their rather high shipping, so I tend to hold off until I have the $150 worth in my wish list that will get me free shipping. My preference is to buy from them when they come to our convention, which wasn't an option until last year. I get the cheap price without the wait and wonder or the shipping fee.:)

Wow, I've been ordering from Rainbow since 1996 and I've never once had a problem. You can call the morning after you place your order to see if anything is backordered, and if it is and you don't want to wait, you can cancel it then. I always pay for expedited warehouse handling (I hate waiting, LOL) and I've always received everything that's not on backorder within a week. On backordered things, I usually call once a week to check on them and they've always been courteous and super helpful. Sorry you had a bad experience.

I am really surprised at your experience. I have ordered from RR several times and have never had a problem. Once, a write on/wipe off board arrived damaged, and RR went to great lengths to send me a new board and even paid for the return shipping of the broken one. They were very helpful. I ordered from them earlier this month and received my order in less than a week.

You might call them back in a week or so, if you still don't have your item. I bet that they will make things right for you.

The thing that bothers me is that have some policies that are not clear unless you spend a lot of time reading the fine print. For example, their free shipping. When I lived in NC the first time I always received those orders promptly. When I moved to Hawaii my order took *eight weeks*. In the fine print if you live outside of CONUS they send it media mail. A computer glitch had caused my address to not be printed on the label (nobody caught that?), and it was sent back to them. They called me when they received it. They made it clear that they blamed me for their website being screwy. I coughed up the shipping because it had already been more than 6 weeks. My box looked like it had been through a war. I wound up having to return something, I wrote in a note explaining that I paid for shipping, even though my invoice still said free shipping. They still charged me for shipping and had to refund it.

Ten years of ordering $500+ worth of stuff/year and that is the only time I had a problem. So, I understand both sides here.

I recently placed an order for a reading comprehension workbook with RR and thought I had ordered the accompanying teacher's guide. I actually had chosen the wrong guide for a different level. They called me the next morning because someone in the department where they pull stuff to put in the box caught my mistake and wanted to double check and make sure that's what I wanted. I was so thankful they called because I would have been so annoyed with myself and would have had to wait and order the correct guide. Anyway, they were extremely helpful to me so maybe it just depends on who's in the office that day. Sorry for your frustrating experience. I've been there with other companies and it can be a real pain.

I wouldn't write them off completely. It sounds as though you got someone having a bad day. My experience with them (including phone calls & back ordered items) has always been great. They do have a great reputation for a reason. Sorry you had an unusual experience.

I wouldn't write off the experience as being that unusual either. I've counted 8 people on this thread that had had one issue or another with them as well, out of the 25 posters on this thread. That's 1 out of every 3. Like I said it's hit or miss, I suppose, but if I were a business I'd aim for better then 1 in 3 customers having a problem. Of course I'd also offer some better answers then "you got a discount on a set, it was a great deal, and that's a cheap piece, so you can buy it somewhere else". Not great customer retention efforts there.

Wow, I've been ordering from Rainbow since 1996 and I've never once had a problem.

You must be ordering the right stuff! I used to order 2 or 3 times a year from RR, from about 1998 until 2008. And about every 3 orders or so there would be a problem like the OP described. I learned to always call in my orders - now I don't even remember if they could give me the stock info on the phone, or if they told me when I could call back to find out? (the details are a little fuzzy at this point).

I'm surprised that in 2011 an internet mail-order company is having the same system problems they were having 12 years ago. I'd have thought they would have upgraded the system so that people could see real-time inventory information, or at least get an immediate notification of back-order problems.

I've been ordering from them for about 8 years and haven't had an issue. I've had items backordered once or twice, but they've always been super kind when I've called. I always call and get a tracking number a day or two after I place my order. I've never had to wait more than two weeks for an order that I can remember.

I only ordered once from them and it was a pretty straight forward order with no back-ordered stuff, but I have to say, I'm super duper anal about orders, tracking, etc. This type of thing would drive me crazy. I guess I'm happy I can order most of the things I want/need from amazon. What a disappointment!

You were upset that they gave you the money back AND told you to keep the books and sell them if you didn't need them? Surely I am missing something here.

Nope. I wasn't upset by the outcome. I was upset when she first tried to get me to pay for their mistake and try to sell it to someone I know--she wasn't going to refund me the money at first, she wanted me to sell them to get my money back. Then I was mystified by the fact that they'd rather eat the cost of the 2 books ($16 total) than pay the shipping to have me return them ($3 maybe). If I wanted to do the "right" thing, I had to pay for the shipping myself. I'm not complaining at all--it just didn't make sense to me and made me question the business practices of RR.

Through the years I've only had problems with two different orders. One CSR that I dealt with was pleasant and helpful, while the other one was sour and reluctant to help. In the end, both times they replaced the damaged item, which is what mattered most, but there's room for improvement.

I just got back from running out with hubby, and as I was reading over the new replies it occurred to me that when she called a few hours after I placed my order to verify my address, because she said it was different then what I entered the last time I ordered (it wasn't, I checked my e-mail notification :confused:), she said if anything was back ordered she'd call me and let me know. She never called :glare: As a matter of fact, she said my stuff shipped today, 29 items in fact (insert sarcasm), yet I have yet to get my shipped/tracking notice. So I don't know if it really shipped or she was telling me that so I wouldn't cancel that part of my order.

I ordered that same kit and got the missing piece within two weeks after the original order. I hadn't even realized it was missing or had been back ordered (it was a BIG order, and the missing manipulative was something really small).

While I haven't experienced outright rudeness, I do find their customer service to be a little lacking and sometimes not very helpful.

And I agree with the person who talked about their 'fine print' policies. Make sure you check ALL their return policies (especially those regarding digital media) before you buy anything from them. I had an issue with them and some curric that involved DVDs last year. I understand their reasons for the policy, but IMO they need to make that policy very visible on all of the digital media items they have for sale, not just bury it in a long paragraph in the middle of the FAQ section.

I ordered one of the "scratch 'n dents". But when I got it, it was only one part of a set. The website didn't say that it was just pt. 1 it sounded like it was complete. I was not happy because they don't issue refunds on those products. :( But when I called, the nice lady on the phone said that I was right, the description was incorrect. They refunded my money and sent UPS to pick it up. So my experience had a good outcome. Sorry your experience was not good. :(

I would call and talk to someone else. Let them know about why this wasn't a good call. RR looks like it is a pretty big company. Is people don't let the supervisors know when there staff need some retraining they don't always know.

So far, I have had great luck with RR. They are not as fast as amazon, but they haven't been overly slow either. In one of my orders a poster had not been packed properly and was damaged. I called and they just took my word for it, told me to toss it and I had a new one within a week. When I have had damaged goods from other places I have had to send photographs, repack ans send it back etc... I have called them with other problems and always have had good experiences. There are a lot of really wonderful and helpful people working there. Let them know so that they can fix the problem.

Nicole

I wouldn't write off the experience as being that unusual either. I've counted 8 people on this thread that had had one issue or another with them as well, out of the 25 posters on this thread. That's 1 out of every 3. Like I said it's hit or miss, I suppose, but if I were a business I'd aim for better then 1 in 3 customers having a problem. Of course I'd also offer some better answers then "you got a discount on a set, it was a great deal, and that's a cheap piece, so you can buy it somewhere else". Not great customer retention efforts there.

Perhaps. But if you count up how many successful orders vs. unsuccessful the unhappy outcomes would be far less than 1 in 3. I myself have ordered from them at least 12 times.

I only posted that because I have had a similar experience. Way back when, there was this new online company called Amazon and I placed an order with them. They screwed it up royally and I had the darndest time getting a human being to care about my issue. Three months later the issue was finally solved (and not at all to my satisfaction). So I refused to order from them again for over 2 years!! Needless to say, we all know that Amazon does a fine job. I order from them monthly now, with nary an issue since that first fateful order. I merely wanted to point out that sometimes it is OK to give a company the benefit of the doubt and try again.

I'm surprised that in 2011 an internet mail-order company is having the same system problems they were having 12 years ago. I'd have thought they would have upgraded the system so that people could see real-time inventory information, or at least get an immediate notification of back-order problems.

:iagree:

I only ordered once from them and it was a pretty straight forward order with no back-ordered stuff, but I have to say, I'm super duper anal about orders, tracking, etc. This type of thing would drive me crazy. I guess I'm happy I can order most of the things I want/need from amazon. What a disappointment!

:iagree::iagree:

I'm sure their system works for them, but I avoid ordering from them unless necessary. I don't have the patience to deal with no tracking, not knowing in-stock items when I order, and slower shipping. Why should *I* have to follow up with a phone call to see if something is backordered?

I can order most of my items from amazon, if not I order from the publisher. We also spread out our ordering so I rarely have 150.00 to spend at any one time, so the free shipping is not always useful to me.