Menu

Anyone taking iodine supps because of Japan's reactor meltdown?

I am ... and also giving my boys some ..

Following the blog by a top iodine knowledgeable doc too ..

http://drdavidbrownstein.blogspot.com/

It certainly is worth doing IMO, and for most people (some are sensitive or will detox heavy on it) its safe and will not cause any trouble.

We take Iodoral, 50mg for me and 12.5 for the boys.

~HTH

I had some temporary (thank God) thyroid issue last summer and am thinking of taking this precaution.

Can someone tell me more, i.e recommended dosage, etc?

No.

I have seen no indication that iodine is being distributed in Japan outside the immediate area of the reactors.

I don't think this is a necessary step at the moment unless you are near the vicinity.

Update: Below is the text of a release from 7th Fleet about the radioactivity in the coastal waters near the disaster area. I bolded a couple sections.

The U.S. 7th Fleet has temporarily repositioned its ships and aircraft away from the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant after detecting low level contamination in the air and on its aircraft operating in the area.

The source of this airborne radioactivity is a radioactive plume released from the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Power Plant. For perspective, the maximum potential radiation dose received by any ship’s force personnel aboard the ship when it passed through the area was less than the radiation exposure received from about one month of exposure to natural background radiation from sources such as rocks, soil, and the sun.

The ship was operating at sea about 100 miles northeast of the power plant at the time.

Using sensitive instruments, precautionary measurements of three helicopter aircrews returning to USS Ronald Reagan after conducting disaster relief missions near Sendai identified low levels of radioactivity on 17 air crew members. The low level radioactivity was easily removed from affected personnel by washing with soap and water. They were subsequently surveyed, and no further contamination was detected.

As a precautionary measure, USS Ronald Reagan and other U.S. 7th Fleet ships conducting disaster response operations in the area have moved out of the downwind direction from the site to assess the situation and determine what appropriate mitigating actions are necessary.

We remain committed to our mission of providing assistance to the people of Japan.

---

I am currently a long way farther off than 100 miles. I am content to wait. YMMV.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

I bought some, but haven't started taking them yet. I figure since we're on the West Coast, it's possible to get radiation drift over here. Apparently the stores around here are selling out of iodine tablets. Anyway, I'm not panicking but I figured it won't hurt to have them on hand.

No.

I have seen no indication that iodine is being distributed in Japan outside the immediate area of the reactors.

I don't think this is a necessary step at the moment unless you are near the vicinity.

I am currently a long way farther off than 100 miles. I am content to wait. YMMV.

:iagree:

but someone linked a map that had estimates of fallout based on weather patterns. On that gentleman's webssite there was discussion re. whether taking iodine supplements would help at all, since the radioative material in this case is not an isotope of iodine, but of cesium. ETA: I spent a couple of minutes googling: apparently two isotopes of iodine are among the breakdown products of a nuclear explosion, so just ignore what I said. Sound like it doesn't matter that the starting point was cesium. Iodine is still a concern.

????

There didn't seem to be a conclusion in the blog posts.

Edited by Valerie(TX)

fwiw, it becomes relevant if there is a radioactive gas release.... which there hasn't been so far.

here's a link to one of the clearest articles i've found.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cesium-and-iodine-radiation-fukushima-ines-scale-2011-3

dh talked me thru this this morning, but i'm still hazy. i believe that the thyroid absorbs the radioactive cesium instead of iodine, but can't if you have enough iodine.

clear as mud...

ann

I have wondered if it might be prudent to have the option at hand. Any good info on the form and dose, and any downsides to taking iodine, especially recommendations for children?

Bill

Bill, here is a link: http://drdavidbrownstein.blogspot.com/

Just added another link: http://ljkboerner.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/why-give-iodide-for-radiation-poisoning/

Peela linked this one - she is very knowledgeable in holistic meds.

Edited by Liz CA

And if you don't have a thyroid, this isn't necessary, correct?

I'd think in this case your thyroid cannot absorp the toxins but here is a link or two:

http://ljkboerner.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/why-give-iodide-for-radiation-poisoning/

The author said he would update his info depending on the developments.

Edited by Liz CA

I am allergic to iodine and it would be more likely to kill me than trace amounts of radiation. Iodine is a highly allergic item with a high rate of anaphylactic response. I would not recommend giving it to children unless your know for sure that they are not allergic to it.

OK. Now I am worried. I figured this thing might be, worst case scenario, as bad as Chernobyl. But, you think it might affect us here in the US? Just the Western US or do you think potentially the Eastern half, as well? ack

There is absolutely no chance of this being even a minute fraction as bad as Chernobyl.

OK. Now I am worried. I figured this thing might be, worst case scenario, as bad as Chernobyl. But, you think it might affect us here in the US? Just the Western US or do you think potentially the Eastern half, as well? ack

From an article on BBC News online:

An official at Japan's nuclear agency rates the incident at 4 on the 0-7 international scale of severity. The 1986 Chernobyl disaster was rated 7, while the 1979 Three Mile Island accident was rated 5.

Also:

Malcolm Crick, secretary of the UN Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation, tells Reuters: "This is not a serious public health issue at the moment. It won't be anything like Chernobyl. There the reactor was operating at full power when it exploded and it had no containment."

Taken directly from the TMI wikipedia article, FWIW:

Radioactive material release

Once the first line of containment is breached during a reactor plant accident, there is a possibility that the fuel or the fission products held inside can be released into the environment. Although the zirconium fuel cladding has been breached in other nuclear reactors without generating a release to the environment, at TMI-2 operators permitted fission products to leave the other containment barriers in a matter of minutes.[citation needed] However, since very little of the fission products released were solids at room temperature, very little radiological contamination was reported in the environment. No significant level of radiation was attributed to the TMI-2 accident outside of the TMI-2 facility. Noble gases made up the bulk of the release of radioactive materials from TMI-2, with the next most abundant element being iodine.

Within hours of the accident the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) began daily sampling of the environment at the three stations closest to the plant. By April 1, continuous monitoring at 11 stations was established and was expanded to 31 stations two days later. An inter-agency analysis concluded that the accident did not raise radioactivity far enough above background levels to cause even one additional cancer death among the people in the area. The EPA found no contamination in water, soil, sediment or plant samples.[28]

I think this is one of the big problems with 24 hour news coverage and stations like CNN, that are using improper terms in relation to the reactors and the situation and causing this level of panic here in the US. I listened to the interview with the nuclear physicist today and even after being corrected multiple times they still continue to use improper terms for what is going on and adding to the panic mentality. It's ridiculous. :chillpill:

I think this is one of the big problems with 24 hour news coverage and stations like CNN, that are using improper terms in relation to the reactors and the situation and causing this level of panic here in the US. I listened to the interview with the nuclear physicist today and even after being corrected multiple times they still continue to use improper terms for what is going on and adding to the panic mentality. It's ridiculous. :chillpill:

Yes, I agree that the word "meltdown" sounds like the whole reactor evaporated into the air while it is a very specific thing. But for lack of the correct terminology, I used "meltdown" in my thread as well. Should have written : "reactor problems."

Edited by Liz CA

Taken directly from the TMI wikipedia article, FWIW:

Radioactive material release

Once the first line of containment is breached during a reactor plant accident, there is a possibility that the fuel or the fission products held inside can be released into the environment. Although the zirconium fuel cladding has been breached in other nuclear reactors without generating a release to the environment, at TMI-2 operators permitted fission products to leave the other containment barriers in a matter of minutes.[citation needed] However, since very little of the fission products released were solids at room temperature, very little radiological contamination was reported in the environment. No significant level of radiation was attributed to the TMI-2 accident outside of the TMI-2 facility. Noble gases made up the bulk of the release of radioactive materials from TMI-2, with the next most abundant element being iodine.

Within hours of the accident the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) began daily sampling of the environment at the three stations closest to the plant. By April 1, continuous monitoring at 11 stations was established and was expanded to 31 stations two days later. An inter-agency analysis concluded that the accident did not raise radioactivity far enough above background levels to cause even one additional cancer death among the people in the area. The EPA found no contamination in water, soil, sediment or plant samples.[28]

What is this referring to? It says "By April 1, continuous monitoring...was established..."

I am ... and also giving my boys some ..

Following the blog by a top iodine knowledgeable doc too ..

It certainly is worth doing IMO, and for most people (some are sensitive or will detox heavy on it) its safe and will not cause any trouble.

We take Iodoral, 50mg for me and 12.5 for the boys.

~HTH

We're not concerned where we live, but I take Iodoral most days. I give it to dd and dh also, but they take less than I do.

What is this referring to? It says "By April 1, continuous monitoring...was established..."

The April 1 following the incident. Sorry. I should have done a better job editing. I was trying to point out that rad levels didn't really increase in the area from the incident and no additional cancer cases were reported/tied to this incident.

The April 1 following the incident. Sorry. I should have done a better job editing. I was trying to point out that rad levels didn't really increase in the area from the incident and no additional cancer cases were reported/tied to this incident.

I was asking which incident you were referring to, but finally figured out that TMI is Three Mile Island. (it looks remarkably similar to the TMI used for Too Much Information :001_smile: )

I was asking which incident you were referring to, but finally figured out that TMI is Three Mile Island. (it looks remarkably similar to the TMI used for Too Much Information :001_smile: )

Lol. It is commonly referred to as TMI in the nuke world. Dh and I joke that TMI (of the too much info variety) was the only thing released at Three Mile Island.

There is absolutely no chance of this being even a minute fraction as bad as Chernobyl.

My dad is a nuclear engineer. At the time of Three Mile Island (TMI), he worked for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission & was flown up there to help oversee the crisis & cleanup of TMI. He still works in the nuclear industry. He's not in Japan, but based on the news (& some internal reports he has seen), he has told me that, in his opinion, the Japan problems are worse than TMI, but nowhere near the levels of Chernobyl (nor would they be expected to reach Chernobyl level proportions).

I think the experts I have seen on tv have said pretty much the same thing. I think reporters & the general public have assumed panic mode & are assuming the worst, even though that's not even remotely the case.

I haven't talked to my dad today (to get any further opinions), but for us, there are no plans to take iodine. Frankly, doing something like that never even occurred to me.