Menu

Well, it's over. My beautiful dog isn't in pain any more.

I'm feeling rather empty, having cried on and off all day.

DH took her to the vet this evening. They had trouble finding a vein in order to sedate her in the first place, so it all took longer than expected. But the vets were really good and didn't rush him at all. The kids and I kept busy doing other things - DD11 was at her ballet lesson, and the rest of us were watching DD9's diving lesson.

Coming home was hard.. her bed was still on the floor, and her dishes in the kitchen. I need to get them moved. And I need to think about what I do with her stuff - collars, leads, ball, toys, bed, dishes..

Sigh. I'm just emotionally drained tonight.

Coming home was hard.. her bed was still on the floor, and her dishes in the kitchen. I need to get them moved. And I need to think about what I do with her stuff - collars, leads, ball, toys, bed, dishes..

I'm so sorry :grouphug:. This is always the worst part for me. Seeing a beloved pet's things.

Take care of yourself.

I am so very sorry. :(

ETA: I had my great dane cremated, and bought a beautiful urn to keep her in. One thing that really helped me in mourning her was to make a shadow box that contains one of my favorite pictures of her, along with her dog collar. Her collar still has some of her fur embedded in it. I know that sounds icky, but there is no way I'm ever going to throw it in the washer. It sits nicely, enclosed in that shadow box.

Edited by Hockey Mom

We put my daughter's chinchilla to sleep today, so I'll cry with you. All of his stuff is in the garage.

I am letting her put together an iBook of pictures she has taken of him. So, today, the chin slept in her lap (loaded with pain meds) while she went through old pics of him, it was a gentle way to slowly let go.

DH took her to the vet this evening. They had trouble finding a vein in order to sedate her in the first place, so it all took longer than expected. But the vets were really good and didn't rush him at all. The kids and I kept busy doing other things - DD11 was at her ballet lesson, and the rest of us were watching DD9's diving lesson.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I am so so sorry. That is so hard. :( :crying:

:grouphug: I am really sorry.

My heart truly goes out to you. I know how painful this is; you are not alone.

One thing. I don't know if you're experiencing this, but I've always had tremendous guilt when my animals move on. "I didn't do a, b and c" and "I should have done x, y and z. What is the matter with me??"

Almost every time I've had an animal move on, I stumble into terrible guilt. And I'm in no way a perfect person, but my animals are like members of the family.

I've been told that the terrible guilt is part of the grieving process. For me, it mellows out over time.

Hang in there.

Alley :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: