Menu

The Invisible Poor

In the last 12 months has your immediate family:  

1. 1. In the last 12 months has your immediate family:

• Faced unemployment lasting over 30 days
    • Received public assistance for food/housing expenses
    • Had a home foreclosed or car repossessed
    • Cut back/out activities/academic purchases for your children
    • Not taken a real vacation (you define real)
    • Cut back/out your normal entertainment expenses
    • declined invitations/not hosted parties/get togethers
    • Not sought medical tx when needed because of lack of money
    • Had to put regular monthly expenses on credit cards
    • Other

Guest Dulcimeramy

I also left only two boxes unchecked. :grouphug:

Somehow, we have not gone on public assistance and we still have the house.

This is a good poll. It covers a broad spectrum of life-changing economic trouble.

We live as modestly as possible, so we don't really have to cut back on anything yet. The only thing I could cut out would be the phone/cable/internet expenses and our fast food expenses. I have been through a lot of this, though. It's sad and scary to be faced with hard economic times. We have had to learn this the hard way.

Anything that we have or would have done beyond 12 months, like for years we've been doing this I did not checks. But quite a few of those applied to me as well. As it is I only checked 1 box for the last 12 mo though.

Many things have changed in the past 12 months but we will always take vacations and never allow J to feel the economic crunch. DH and I cut corners wherever we can to allow J to have the life we want for him. DH grew up without a lot, my childhood was just the opposite. DH doesn't want J to go thru what he went thru, so we do without a lot so J can have.

Many things have changed in the past 12 months but we will always take vacations and never allow J to feel the economic crunch. DH and I cut corners wherever we can to allow J to have the life we want for him. DH grew up without a lot, my childhood was just the opposite. DH doesn't want J to go thru what he went thru, so we do without a lot so J can have.

So do we. I grew up knowing that we were poor. DH grew up in a working class family, but never knew that his family made less $$ than his friends' families. I want my kids not to think that they have to worry about the money.

I only had to check a couple, but that is ONLY because we were so careful with money before DH lost his job. If we had to deal with a mortgage or car payments I can't even imagine.

We don't have a car payment. I am scared to death that my old car will die before we have saved enough for another one.

All but three, we don't have any credit cards ;)

Other: salary was reduced by over 10%

We're down another 10... After having dropped 20 in past two years. It's good that I don't seem to notice this until I have to file our taxes. Of course, tax season does end up very depressing as a result.

All but three, we don't have any credit cards ;)

We're down another 10... After having dropped 20 in past two years. It's good that I don't seem to notice this until I have to file our taxes. Of course, tax season does end up very depressing as a result.

Yeah, that is how it has been for us too. Down down down while inflation goes up, up, up. We used to just blow all of that extra though. :glare: I even look at the medical expenses as blowing it... because I didn't need to spend that every month. I figured out how not to now.

Well, our foreclosure/unemployment/repossessions/major cutbacks were in 2009, so not the past 12 months. I guess that means things are better?:D

I think so. Dh managed to get a job that pays 50% more than the one he had. Factoring in the higher expenses due to cost of living, we come out about the same. However, I think there is hope in the future, which I wouldn't have said 3 months ago.;)

Should the title be "invisible poor" or the "invisible broke"? There's a difference IMO. Some of the things mentioned are what I think fall into the category of the former (government assistance, delaying necessary medical care) while others are things that many (if not most) middle- and even upper-middle-class folks are doing in this recession (cutting back on disposable spending).

Should the title be "invisible poor" or the "invisible broke"? There's a difference IMO. Some of the things mentioned are what I think fall into the category of the former (government assistance, delaying necessary medical care) while others are things that many (if not most) middle- and even upper-middle-class folks are doing in this recession (cutting back on disposable spending).

:iagree: I only checked 4 because most of the other things we were doing already. We've never taken a vacation apart from visiting family. We don't spend money for entertainment except an occasional RedBox movie. We don't have credit cards (anymore) so there isn't anything to put extra expenses on (we just make do.)

Well, our foreclosure/unemployment/repossessions/major cutbacks were in 2009, so not the past 12 months. I guess that means things are better?:D

I think so. Dh managed to get a job that pays 50% more than the one he had. Factoring in the higher expenses due to cost of living, we come out about the same. However, I think there is hope in the future, which I wouldn't have said 3 months ago.;)

I am so glad to hear that!:grouphug:

Yeah, I know what you mean! We always have enough even though I checked 3 categories. I wouldn't call us poor. We are fortunate in the income area.

Now there is another reason I would call us poor. Fearing job loss every 6 months for the last 5 years has really stank. I could do without that. Especially when I was newly pregnant and crying at a religious meeting because I had just found out and the other time when we were in Disney world and DH had heart trouble after someone told him what was going on at the office, oh, and the time DH was mad at me for breaking my foot because he didn't know if he would have a job the next week, but he didn't tell me why he was acting like a jerk. Those were the worst.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I wish you would have included a catagory, none of the above, to see how many of us have made it through safe, unchanged.

We live in an economically depressed place and live on a modest income. Most nothing has changed for us. I feel almost bad to say it and work is very slow now, but it is most winters so we're used to it.

We never had medical insurance, so not going to the Dr. unless it gets really bad is normal for us.

I will check other.

I debated, but I know many people start with the cutbacks and it's not enough. Sometimes the cutbacks are enough, sometimes it becomes the tip of the iceberg.

It can become a slippery slope if your income decreases (or disappears) and you were already being frugal. What was at one time a choice of cutting back can become having no choice at all.

Our "other" is being underemployed by about 30% for the last 3+ years.

Gas is a big expense for us. We moved to the only rental place available at Christmas time, which is out away from church and dh's work. There are times when we are almost out of gas and need to spare it for dh to get to work so we don't even go to church. It's not fun to tell people "We didn't have enough gas" when they ask if we're ok and they missed us last Sunday, what's up? *sigh*

Our "other" is being underemployed by about 30% for the last 3+ years.

Gas is a big expense for us. We moved to the only rental place available at Christmas time, which is out away from church and dh's work. There are times when we are almost out of gas and need to spare it for dh to get to work so we don't even go to church. It's not fun to tell people "We didn't have enough gas" when they ask if we're ok and they missed us last Sunday, what's up? *sigh*

Gas is killing us too. My Dh took an underpaying position because it was the only thing available, and we had to move to new rental. He now has to drive though two counties to get to work because we couldn't find a place to rent. Even this one is over 50% of our income before adding in any utilities or other expenses. I don't know what I'm going to do when gas starts going gangbusters.

I voted other. Though dh took a 10% paycut two years ago, we weren't living from pay check to pay check so we were able to weather that storm.

Before the real estate crash, dh and I felt that we were seeing signs that the economic model of the US was unsustainable. So, we moved here, took up a simpler lifestyle, began gardening, and looked at ways to be more sustainable and fiscally sound.

So, we live in an unfinished renovation, but that's okay, garden, raise a couple of pigs, have a few chickens and ducks for eggs, and 4-H is our main educational activity that takes us beyond the confines of the house.

Faith

I had to check a few for us. We've been poor for so long, though, that things haven't changed much for us in the last year, so I didn't have to check any of the "cutting back" options. And we own our car and rent, so no worries about foreclosure or losing our vehicle, thankfully. We're receiving food assistance and medical assistance until (fingers crossed) my dh's temp position turns into a real, full-time position with benefits. With my dd's medical issues, we wouldn't have made it without the MA.

We don't worry that much, though. We know we're doing the best we can at the moment, and we've adjusted to having less. I'm actually happier now in a lot of ways. Having less of everything simplifies and lets you focus more on the important stuff.

We (I think) live below the "poverty line" but we certainly don't feel poor. I checked 4 of those boxes, and I still don't feel poor. I feel blessed. I feel angry that the new(ish) Health Care bill made it too expensive for my husband's company to continue to give us great coverage, and we're now paying twice the premium for NO coverage until we've already paid $3,000 besides the doubled premium. But I don't feel poor. But that might be because we did our taxes and got some money back to give us a little breathing room, and a few special purchases...

We don't have a car payment. I am scared to death that my old car will die before we have saved enough for another one.

Same here. My husband just resigned from his position as youth pastor. We have 90 days to find a house to move to. Another car is out of the question right now.

I checked other. We postponed regular dental checkups (no insurance) so that we could pay for Christmas.

We had to put the heating oil on the credit card but paid it all back with our tax refund.

For the last month I've been shopping sales only at the local grocery and the rest at Wally World.

I started making our daily bread last week.

We are not stretched beyond endurance, yet.

Yeah, that is how it has been for us too. Down down down while inflation goes up, up, up. We used to just blow all of that extra though. :glare: I even look at the medical expenses as blowing it... because I didn't need to spend that every month. I figured out how not to now.

I know what you mean. Jo has ins, so all the medical stuff she's been going through has been covered, but I have started looking at how much we have to pay in gas, with no actual medical remedy in sight (just MORE tests) and I'm so tempted to put it all on hold. We're trying chammomile and if that works I'll be so happy (but part of me will be thinking of the money spent and kicking myself severely).

I debated, but I know many people start with the cutbacks and it's not enough. Sometimes the cutbacks are enough, sometimes it becomes the tip of the iceberg.

It can become a slippery slope if your income decreases (or disappears) and you were already being frugal. What was at one time a choice of cutting back can become having no choice at all.

:iagree: One day you decide you don't really need to buy something. The next, you can't even though you probably do need it. This may sound like a super stupid thing to be upset about, but I have no jeans. My jeans, which were FINE in January, have fallen apart, literally. In January I almost bought some new clothes but thought, why waste the money?!? Now, well, I have no jeans.

I know what you mean. Jo has ins, so all the medical stuff she's been going through has been covered, but I have started looking at how much we have to pay in gas, with no actual medical remedy in sight (just MORE tests) and I'm so tempted to put it all on hold. We're trying chammomile and if that works I'll be so happy (but part of me will be thinking of the money spent and kicking myself severely).

:iagree: One day you decide you don't really need to buy something. The next, you can't even though you probably do need it. This may sound like a super stupid thing to be upset about, but I have no jeans. My jeans, which were FINE in January, have fallen apart, literally. In January I almost bought some new clothes but thought, why waste the money?!? Now, well, I have no jeans.

It sounds stupid... until you're there. I pushed back buying new clothes until I was left with (now) 1 pair of black slacks, 1 pair of sweats, and 1 pair of yoga capris. I feel your pain.

I didn't vote because I didn't feel "Other" was intended for people like me.

I didn't need to click any of the choices.

I was laid off a few years ago, for about 18 months. Even then I wouldn't have needed to check any of the choices because my family (parents, siblings, extended) wouldn't have hesitated to step in and assist in any way they could. It helps that we're a large family, with a variety of resources to contribute. It also helps that this kind of inter-dependent relationship is encouraged, rather than discouraged or viewed poorly, by our (ethnic) culture.

I work for an airline, so we take frequent vacations and weekend trips. It's free to fly and we benefit from heavy discounts on the other stuff (car, hotel, etc.) especially during off-seasons. We also get regular visits with friends and family who live far away. It's a big reason why we homeschool.

I've only ever had one credit card (Nordstrom's!) and I closed it about 5 years ago. I'd borrow money from my family before I would a credit company. They'd prefer that, too, especially for medical bills, living expenses, or groceries.

Our cars are paid off. We don't carry a mortgage on his home, but we do on mine (which he pays in full). My kids' dad and I both work in the same industry, and sometimes worry about having put all our eggs into one basket ... but so far it's been fine. Knock on wood.

I did the same thing and wound up having to wear my slippers to the store to buy shoes. :001_rolleyes::001_unsure:

:lol: I'm not laughing at, I'm laughing with...my glasses are currently being held together by a band-aid. Yes, a band-aid. And they've been that way since the summer of 2009. It's amazing what you can fix with a band-aid. At least it's not in the front and I can kind of hide it with my hair. New glasses were on the list of things to get with our income tax refund but more pressing things came up and....well, at least I can still see.

I checked all but 2 boxes.

Here's another box for you...Do you have to put off errands til payday because there is no.gas.for.the.car? I'm talking in town errands for in town people. I don't know what we would do if we lived out of town. :tongue_smilie:

We don't own our home so can't go into forclosure. We paid off one vehicle years ago (2004?) and the other we bought with the stimulus check that Bush sent out in 2008. So no repo.

Kids have only ever had one activity at a time so I haven't needed to cut back there.

To be completely honest, we don't ever get invited anywhere so there aren't any parties or anything we need to decline, so no check there either.

Technically dh and I have always been the "working poor". Yes we have bought things but always on credit and paid it back monthly. We usually get any big purchases we need during tax time.

Which is why I want an iPad but don't have one :P.

:iagree:

Is the "other" supposed to be for other things you've had to do because of the economy OR for people who haven't had to face things in the past 12 months?

That's already ruined I would imagine.:tongue_smilie:

Other is a given in any poll here. :lol: I know there were categories I couldn't list because of the 10 line limit. Other could also mean you were already on life support (economically speaking) and there's no more down to go. Or other as in you planned well, had some luck, or you're okay.

So other can be whatever you need it to be.

Lost a home to foreclosure/ cut back/ not done/ not bought/ etc... etc... etc.

On the plus side.........

Bought a lovely house in a new state that is nearly twice as big as our last house with only 2.6% interest and nothing down.

Have all our bills paid off except the one credit card and now have money in savings and are only working with a cash only basis.

With cash we were able to pay for three new twin bed sets for the kids last week.

We are eating healthier and making most of our meals/bread/snacks at home and buying waaaay less processed foods.

We are together and happy....... hubby has a good job and is making more $$$ than he ever has.

Our life is great! I'm a happy camper! :D

Vacation????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

What is a vacation?

We've switch from construction/contracting to online retailing in the past 18 months. It doesn't pay the bills yet, but it is getting better. Over half of our sales are out of the US.

We try not to drive much. Gas is too expensive and our distances are great-over 100 miles round trip.

Sadly, we've dropped some kids outings and classes. I've stopped buying packaged food--this is a good thing! Most of all we're doing without so we can buy new tires for the car or get a new crown for a tooth with a fissure so deep its a wonder the tooth didn't break in two.