Menu

Does a Christian fish symbol make you more likely to...

Are you more likely to patronize a business that advertises being Christian-run?  

1. 1. Are you more likely to patronize a business that advertises being Christian-run?

• Yes! I try to exclusively patronize Christian-run businesses
    • Yes, I'd be more likely to patronize it.
    • Maybe. I might be a bit more likely if all other factors were roughly equal.
    • No, it doesn't affect my opinion at all.
    • No because I think it's wrong to use religion in this way.
    • No because of previous bad experiences
    • No because I'm not Christian and don't want to support those businesses.
    • No way. I'd actually be less likely to support such a business.
    • Other (because I know there's a whole lot of "other" for this question!)

Does a business saying it's run by Christians or using a Christian fish symbol make you more likely to support a business? Martha's rant about the Christian karate school got me wondering whether those fish in ads actually increase business.

You can vote for more than one option. I tried to cover a wide range of possibilities, but I'm sure I left out some, so explain as you need!

Edited by Sun

I am a Christian and actually had a fish symbol on my first car. I may think, "Hey neat, they're Christians!" However, I think businesses put it on advertisements to draw in customers. I don't feel that Christians are somehow more worthy than others, so no, it doesn't affect my decision.

I am a Christian, but considering the fact that the symbol of the fish was used to identify fellow believers during a time of persecution, I think it is poor tact to use it for profit.

Aside from that, I hate to say that as a small business owner, when other Christians find out we are Christian, MANY immediately let us know they expect a *deal*. In 25 years of business, our worst experiences and loss of profit have come from Christian clients. AAAANNNNDDDD, noone wants to *make it right*. A confession and an apology is supposed to suffice. Legal pursuit of rightfully earned money is seen as *unforgiving*. We are supposed to *understand* the circumstances that prevented them from honoring their contract.

Frankly, I don't think that your faith should come into play in any way other than you should be a person of your word and run your business honestly and forthrightly NO MATTER WHAT. There should be NO differentiation in the quality of work done, or price, according to race, religion, political views, etc. etc.

While I am on my soapbox, I will go a step further and say that some of our WORST employees have been Christians who came to work whenever they decided to show up and expected us to understand that their *quiet time* ran over, expected to be paid according to what they perceived their *need* to be...rather than a set scale applied to e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e., AND expected to remain on the clock and be paid AND for us to be *happy* about them *sharing the gospel* on the jobsite. Ummmm...no.

Sorry, someone put a quarter in me, obviously :lol:

Ack, I mis-voted. I have had to listen to lecture on shock and dismay I went to a college based on sin (it was a public school) and to get a lesson on why blood transfusions are against God's plan. The first was guy was towing my truck and the second one was doing my carpets.

So, yes, I avoid the fishy ads in the telephone book.

I am a Christian, but considering the fact that the symbol of the fish was used to identify fellow believers during a time of persecution, I think it is poor tact to use it for profit.

Yes, knowing the history of this symbol makes me . . . uncomfortable with it being used in this way.

Maybe if and only if all other factors are equal.

I do BUSINESS based on price, quality, and our need.

Tho the symbol doesn't bother me per se, I'm always thought whether someone was Christian or not would show whether they had a sign out saying it or not. So mostly, I'm just a bit befuddled as to why they feel a need to literally advertise it.

And other.

Lately I have to sadly admit that I have not been much happy with the professional or personal results of spending my funds on businesses that advertise they are Christian and or home school family run.:glare:

It's becoming enough of a trend that I'm actively leery to flat out avoiding them.

It makes me feel icky! Like what if I go to a Christian dry cleaner and they ruin my pants...am I supposed to turn the other cheek and be okay with that. :confused:

It bugs me. Either there profiting off Jesus, or insulating themselves from having to do a proffessional job. I'm sure there are exceptions it's just how I feel.

It makes me feel icky! Like what if I go to a Christian dry cleaner and they ruin my pants...am I supposed to turn the other cheek and be okay with that. :confused:

It bugs me. Either there profiting off Jesus, or insulating themselves from having to do a proffessional job. I'm sure there are exceptions it's just how I feel.

I'm sorry Simka but I'm :lol: here. I hope you meant the cheek on your face.:D

:iagree:Right there with ya. I detest it!

I actively avoid them because I figure that if they slap a fish on their ad, they're effectively saying "Christians only". I know they'd like my money, but I'd rather not support someone who publicly advertises their religious affiliation. They may not mean to, but they're being divisive and unwelcoming to non-Christians. Plus, there are lots of fish in the sea, and I've never had any trouble finding a non-religious rival to give my business to.

For me, if product, price and service is good and the same as any other business owner, being a Christian would probably be the deciding factor for me as to whom I would choose. Around here, a lot of the Christian businesses are smallish kind of mom and pop type places and I always like to patronize small businesses if I can. But I would do that regardless of their religious affiliation also. :)

All things being equal, I'd be a bit less likely to patronize such a business...just as I'd be more likely to patronize a small business if the proprietor was Heathen or Pagan (or, for that matter, a member of the SCA, which isn't religious but is an "in" group I identify with). However, it's not a major consideration for me; it wouldn't deter me if I liked the product/service being offered.

Aside from that, I hate to say that as a small business owner, when other Christians find out we are Christian, MANY immediately let us know they expect a *deal*. In 25 years of business, our worst experiences and loss of profit have come from Christian clients. AAAANNNNDDDD, noone wants to *make it right*. A confession and an apology is supposed to suffice. Legal pursuit of rightfully earned money is seen as *unforgiving*. We are supposed to *understand* the circumstances that prevented them from honoring their contract.

Frankly, I don't think that your faith should come into play in any way other than you should be a person of your word and run your business honestly and forthrightly NO MATTER WHAT. There should be NO differentiation in the quality of work done, or price, according to race, religion, political views, etc. etc.

While I am on my soapbox, I will go a step further and say that some of our WORST employees have been Christians who came to work whenever they decided to show up and expected us to understand that their *quiet time* ran over, expected to be paid according to what they perceived their *need* to be...rather than a set scale applied to e.v.e.r.y.o.n.e., AND expected to remain on the clock and be paid AND for us to be *happy* about them *sharing the gospel* on the jobsite. Ummmm...no.

Sorry, someone put a quarter in me, obviously :lol:

Seriously? :001_huh: :blink:

I think trotting out the symbols of your religion- any religion- in order to turn a profit is wrong. I patronize places that are reasonably priced, have good products, and treat me well. Period.

:iagree:

I voted "maybe." We specifically chose a Christian ballet studio for our dd because the teacher was committed to modest dance styles and outfits. We really didn't want our little girl, half dressed, gyrating in front of 100 strangers at a recital. :glare:

There are a few stores around us who close on Sunday, I try to patronize them with our business as a sign of appreciation for their stance.

However, if there's a store that isn't blatantly Christian that offers quality service then of course I'll give them my business. On the flip side, if a Christian business is shoddy, I won't spend my money there.

Guest momk2000

No, I am Christian, but it would not affect my decision either way. A company needs to earn my trust, just as individuals do.

I once went to a nutritionist, and I did not know beforehand, but she was Christian and very outspoken about it. When she realized I was Christian also, she prayed with me and I felt very comfortable with her at first. Then she preyed on my desperation and charged out the ...I was told over the phone that I would be charged around $89 for the visit, when I went to the desk to pay it was over $300!! I was feeling so horrible at the time and desperately needed some help. Not getting what I needed from the doc. I decided to go to a nutritionist. She was a total quack!

Just because someone claims to be Christian doesn't always mean they are trustworthy. I think sometimes many (not all) will use this just to draw in business and get people to blindly trust them. It is absolutely wrong.

Any company that is fair and has earned a good reputation will get my business regardless of religion, etc...

Wow- the responses here surprised me. I never thought people who owned a business would put a fish in order to increase business. So far in this poll, more than half are LESS likely to choose the business if they see a fish sign. (However, if I had a business, I might be inclined to put a fish out).

The reason I'd be more likely to choose the business, is because from *my experience*, Christians are more likely to make things right and to do business honorably. I would not expect a discount, and I would expect them to live up to quality work & to make it right if they make a mistake. If I received poor service from a Christian business, I just wouldn't go back. But I do like to give them a chance. Being a TRUE Christian, one would be inclined to do a better job, caring about the service as well as good quality work. They would operate their business under the scripture to do their work as unto the Lord.

I see the fish sign and think the owner has integrity, they won't try to cheat me, they do their work honestly and will be fair in their dealings.

However, if I find out otherwise, I won't recommend them or go back.

When I lived in OK, many small businesses had those fish. It didn't bother me either way, nor influence my decision to shop there (or not). I shopped places that had what I needed/wanted, had good quality, had fair prices and had good customer service. One of my favourite restaurants served the best red beans and rice on the planet at a great price and with the second best waitstaff ever assembled. The fact that my red beans and rice got served on a placemat covered with Scripture didn't bother me in the least.

Here, though, very, very few businesses have the fish. Those that do are already clearly Christian businesses (like the Bible bookstores and Christian counseling services), so I think the fish is just an extended advertisement of that fact. The fish, itself, has nothing to do with my decision not to patronize those businesses.

I actively avoid them because I figure that if they slap a fish on their ad, they're effectively saying "Christians only". I know they'd like my money, but I'd rather not support someone who publicly advertises their religious affiliation. They may not mean to, but they're being divisive and unwelcoming to non-Christians. Plus, there are lots of fish in the sea, and I've never had any trouble finding a non-religious rival to give my business to.

:iagree:This.

I actively avoid them because I figure that if they slap a fish on their ad, they're effectively saying "Christians only". I know they'd like my money, but I'd rather not support someone who publicly advertises their religious affiliation. They may not mean to, but they're being divisive and unwelcoming to non-Christians.

I always figured they were playing the odds. This country is nominally overwhelmingly Christian. Advertise that you're Christian, and maybe the majority of people will give you a try first.

Plus, there are lots of fish in the sea, and I've never had any trouble finding a non-religious rival to give my business to.

:thumbup: nice pun!

I am a Christian and would not be more likely to patronize a business because of religious affiliation.

I don't like the implication that Christians somehow have cornered the market on integrity. I know pagans who I would trust further than some Christians.

I would probably be MORE suspicious of a business that felt the need to use a religious symbol. Lots of politicians also say they are Christian and many do not behave in a manner that I feel is Christ-like.

In *my experience* it's a red flag that signals a business that wants to appear Christian, and probably gives shoddy service that we're expected to forgive because we're brothers in Christ.

I don't feel this way about all Christian businesses, mind you. But I've noticed a correlation between those who slap me in the face with their fish symbol and generally poor service.

It would just make no difference to me at all.

However our mechanic is so, so generous to us. We have given him a lot of business (word of mouth) but he does our cars so cheaply and he seems like such an honest guy. We realised he was a born again type Christian and reckon he runs an ethical business because of his values- and we are glad to support him because of his honesty and his good business ethics- not particularly because he is Christian. I just mention it because he is Christian.

The reason I'd be more likely to choose the business, is because from *my experience*, Christians are more likely to make things right and to do business honorably. I would not expect a discount, and I would expect them to live up to quality work & to make it right if they make a mistake. If I received poor service from a Christian business, I just wouldn't go back. But I do like to give them a chance. Being a TRUE Christian, one would be inclined to do a better job, caring about the service as well as good quality work. They would operate their business under the scripture to do their work as unto the Lord.

I see the fish sign and think the owner has integrity, they won't try to cheat me, they do their work honestly and will be fair in their dealings.

However, if I find out otherwise, I won't recommend them or go back.

I find this idea perplexing, and frankly, a little insulting. Christians don't have the market of integrity, honour, honesty, hard work and fair trading cornered.

Most non-Christians have just as much of those qualities. I'd say the percentage of untrustworthy Christians is about the same as the percentage of untrustworthy non-Christians. We non-Christians are not evil, amoral people, most of us want to live a good life and respect our fellow people just as much as Christians, the only difference is our motives for doing so.

I find this idea perplexing, and frankly, a little insulting. Christians don't have the market of integrity, honour, honesty, hard work and fair trading cornered.

Most non-Christians have just as much of those qualities. I'd say the percentage of untrustworthy Christians is about the same as the percentage of untrustworthy non-Christians. We non-Christians are not evil, amoral people, most of us want to live a good life and respect our fellow people just as much as Christians, the only difference is our motives for doing so.

Why are you faulting her for saying what she's found to be true in her own experience? It isn't my experience either, but who are we to say that it hasn't been hers?

She's stating what she thinks when she sees the fish sign. So far, she hasn't been burned like some others have been by that presupposition. I hope that she isn't in the future either.

I am not a Christian, and I voted "No way. I'd be less likely..."

I don't purposefully avoid doing business with people of any religion* or lack thereof; however, sharing such inessential information in an advertisement, which is by definition an device to bring in business, makes me suspect the business itself must be deficient relative to its competition in some way.

* There are a few businesses I would avoid for reasons some may consider related to religion (but from my point of view would be works or acts)... for example, I would never, never, have ordered from Dominoes Pizza when it was owned by Tom Monaghan even if I were inclined to eat cardboard with sugary tomato sauce and rubbery "cheese" topping. Also falling under "acts" is Nestle. These are relatively extreme examples.