Menu

What does your child read when Magic TreeHouse has no appeal

to them but they are in and around that reading level? BoxCar Children apparently is not interesting either. :glare: I've bought some of the Stepping Stone books- the last level that comes after #5, not the numbered readers and those seem interesting enough but I need more.

She's read the Little House on the Prairie beginner chapter books and I'm at a loss as to what to suggest next.

This child does like to read but I have to suggest it, vs. how it was with my oldest who could never get her nose out of a book.

I'm looking for good books in and around the grade 3 reading level in hopes to get her reading more, enjoying reading, and getting her reading level up a bit so she can enjoy a larger variety of books.

The Littles

Amelia Bedelia

Pippi Longstocking

The Borrowers

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Nate the Great

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Little Bear

the Frances books (Bread and Jam for Frances, etc)

eta: The Nutshell Library by Maurice Sendak. These are short, but my kids loved them.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I love the Catwings books by Ursula LeGuin for that reading level. Roald Dahl has some at that level, too, but I am not sure which titles. I also like Dick King-Smith, but dd never got excited about those for some reason.

The BFG

The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me

The Twits

are all shorter Roald Dahl books

My DS love non fiction books... He will read stepping stones level 5 or so in almost any topic.

He also liked Nate the Great, and a lot of the ones already mentioned.

I also get him longer picture type books. Like the Legend of Johnny Appleseed, Sleepy Hollow, Arctic Lands ect...

I also get him longer picture type books. Like the Legend of Johnny Appleseed, Sleepy Hollow, Arctic Lands ect...

I agree, there are actually LOTS of good picture books at that age. OP, have you tried Eloise? They are really wordy and long for a picture book. If she likes that sort of thing, they probably have more words than a short chapter book.

Neither of my kids every liked Magic Treehouse or Boxcar children either. One good first series my son really enjoyed for a while was Geronimo Stilton. He really liked the Roald Dahl books too.

All my first grader will read are American Girl books, books about historical women (Cleopatra is very popular here), the Bad Kitty books, or Calvin and Hobbes. Greek myths are big for her too.

Neither of my kids every liked Magic Treehouse or Boxcar children either. One good first series my son really enjoyed for a while was Geronimo Stilton. He really liked the Roald Dahl books too.

All my first grader will read are American Girl books, books about historical women (Cleopatra is very popular here), the Bad Kitty books, or Calvin and Hobbes. Greek myths are big for her too.

My son loves Greek Myths too! There are lots of longer pictures books on the Greek Myths too.

Honestly? I will win "no parent of the year" points here, but when my 6 year old found the Magic Treehouse books boring he started reading the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. The good news was he would read out-loud for over an hour at a time, the bad news was it was "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid" (which is pretty funny, truth told).

We have returned to "literature" but we knocked down at least 3 of those DoWK books in short order.

Bill

Honestly? I will win "no parent of the year" points here, but when my 6 year old found the Magic Treehouse books boring he started reading the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. The good news was he would read out-loud for over an hour at a time, the bad news was it was "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid" (which is pretty funny, truth told).

We have returned to "literature" but we knocked down at least 3 of those DoWK books in short order.

Bill

LOL - my 10 year old had a run with a couple of those early on and I think may have them memorized! When they're 6 and gaining enthusiasm for reading longer stuff, sometimes you just have to go with it! :D What's "nice" about that series is that the text is more broken up. It doesn't look as intimidating as a long chapter book. And my son thought they were hysterical, of course.

Both my kids found magic treehouse (and some other series) just too formulaic. They enjoyed 1 or 2 maybe early on in their reading careers and then were done.

LOL - my 10 year old had a run with a couple of those early on and I think may have them memorized! When they're 6 and gaining enthusiasm for reading longer stuff, sometimes you just have to go with it! :D What's "nice" about that series is that the text is more broken up. It doesn't look as intimidating as a long chapter book. And my son thought they were hysterical, of course.

Both my kids found magic treehouse (and some other series) just too formulaic. They enjoyed 1 or 2 maybe early on in their reading careers and then were done.

I thought they were pretty hysterical myself, but shhhhh! Don't tell anyone as I don't want to lose any classical ed credibility :D

Bill

My son does love the MTH books (and has read 31 of them back to back as fast as he could read them! LOL) Other books my ds7 has read and loved include:

My Father's Dragon (trilogy)

The Littles

Mr. Poppers Penguins

Any book he can find about animals or science - sometimes he even chooses those books over the more fun chapter books!

Daniel's Duck

Stone Fox

Key to the Treasure

Balto

Moving up just one level or so, my son is now enjoying the Charlie Bone series.

Bill

:lol::lol: Funny you should mention that because my dd *just* finished reading 2 of those. :tongue_smilie: That's part of what prompted this thread as I was thinking I really ought to get her back to reading "literature" or something. :tongue_smilie:

:w00t: I just admitted that on the WTM forums. :lol:

Magic School Bus and Berenstain Bears chapter books, Jackie Chan Adventures, Geronimo Stilton, Captain Underpants (Bleh) were popular with ds14 and dd. Ds9 preferred to struggle though pre1925 books to reading the easy stuff, although now he is going back to "easy" stuff (Jr. Star Wars). Moongobble and Me by Bruse Coville was another good series.

Another closet "Diary of the Wimpy Kid" parent here. I've also let him read the "Captain Underpants" series, "The Day My Butt Went Psychinero," the Danny Dragonbreath series, "Wuv Bunnies from Outers Pace," the "Moongobble and Me" series, "How to Eat Fried Worms"..... Oh I am a horrible WTM parent. I should be flogged!

Lately he has been into reading our Illustrated Childrens Classics ("Moby Dick," "The Three Musketeers," "Ivanhoe," "Robin Hood," and "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" to name a few.). I guess I didn't ruin him forever if he is still willing to pick up actual literature.

Have you tried interactive history adventures? Right now DS has been reading and rereading "The Middle Ages" by Allison Lassieur. The series is by Capstone Press and they have books on Ancient Egypt, WWII, Pirates, German Immigrants in America, the Civil War, the Revolutionary War.... He really likes them because the book changes according to which path he chooses and he can reread it for a different outcome. Apparently today he was a knight who met with an untimely demise.

One of my sons likes the A to Z Mysteries okay. He loves Stink by Megan MacDonald and just wishes that series had as many books as Magic Treehouse has. Also, he likes Tashi and Horrible Harry.

The hilarious part of this is that he has talked for YEARS about being able to read the MTH books we have because I wouldn't read them aloud anymore because they drove me bonkers. And now he can and he turns his nose up at them!

A lot of great recommendations, so I'm just adding a few that I haven't seen.

Horrible Harry series by Suzy Kline

Moongobble series by Bruce Coville (I'd especially suggest for boys)

Beverly Cleary books

Time Warp Trio series by Jon Scieszka (another boy suggestion)

Thorton Burgess!!

Daisy Meadow (as if that's not a pen name!) has several cute series including The Jewel Fairies

The Babysitter Club

Judy Moody series by Megan McDonald

Ben Baglio has several series about animals, including Animal Ark and Dolphin Diaries

The Pony Club series (author escapes me, last name begins with a B)

I didn't read Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but my 16yodd read them when my 12yods had them last year. I agreed to watch the movie with ds when no one else would, and I was surprised to truly love it!

The My Father's Dragon series has always been our first chapter book experience when they finish Phonics Pathways. I purposely do not read it aloud to my kids because they have gotten so much pleasure and enjoyment reading it for themselves.

My son just finished those. He enjoyed them. He's also read a lot of the Thornton Burgess animal stories (The Adventures of Old Man Coyote, The Adventures of Jimmy Skunk, etc). He's currently working on the Mouse and the Motorcycle series by Beverly Cleary. Next up is Henry Hyggins (we don't do Ramona because she's a brat, but Henry is great!).

:lol::lol: Funny you should mention that because my dd *just* finished reading 2 of those. :tongue_smilie: That's part of what prompted this thread as I was thinking I really ought to get her back to reading "literature" or something. :tongue_smilie:

Too funny :lol: :lol:

Bill

My son was not a fan of MTH, he made it to book 11 before saying he'd had enough. He LOVED the Magic School Bus chapter books though and read every last one. He even went back and then re-read them out loud to his younger sister and brother. He's now almost 12 and is reading the Guardians of Ga'hoole series, but will still pull out a MSB book from time to time and read it.

I brought 4 of the Wimpy Kid books home from the library because the movie had been a hysterical hit. Each of my readers from 3rd - 8th grade grabbed a book and retreated to a cozy corner. I heard nothing but snickers and giggles for the next hour. It was so great!

Then they started swapping their favorite funnies that weren't in the movie. It was a true bonding moment. And that's saying something for my crew.

The first chapter books my kids read on their own was The Bears on Hemlock Mountain.

My first year of homeschooling I assigned my 1st grade dd this to read. I thought she hated it because she didn't really want to talk about it and didn't have much to say. Yesterday something reminded her of it and she brought it out and started telling us about so many things from the book.:tongue_smilie: It's been two years but she remembers all of it and apparently loved it.

My first year of homeschooling I assigned my 1st grade dd this to read. I thought she hated it because she didn't really want to talk about it and didn't have much to say. Yesterday something reminded her of it and she brought it out and started telling us about so many things from the book.:tongue_smilie: It's been two years but she remembers all of it and apparently loved it.

:) I have never met a very young reader who didn't enjoy The Bears on Hemlock Moutain.

Catwings series

Littles

My Fathers Dragon series

Betsy Tacy series

Miss Piggle Wiggle series

The Trouble with Magic

Abel's Island

No Flying in the House

The Elevator Family

The Worst Witch

The Whipping Boy

Little Rascal

shorter Dahl books

Pippi

Complete Beatrix Potter collection

A fairy tale collection with illustrations she likes.

I agree with pp, longer picture books are great.

:) I have never met a very young reader who didn't enjoy The Bears on Hemlock Moutain.

It appears my younger just needs a few years to process and then she will let loose. Although, when she read Trumpet of the Swan the same year we couldn't shut her up.:D

These may be a little advanced for 3rd grade, but have you checked into the Great Illustrated Classics? There's a lot of great stories available in that series - classics, dontcha know! :tongue_smilie: Amazon has several listed - you can "look inside" a couple of them to give you an idea of the reading level.

We've had some rather interesting choices other than MTH as well.

DS has read and enjoyed:

Franny K Stein

Secrets of Droon

Captain Underpants

Frankie Pickle

Magic School Bus - chapter and picture books

Geronimo Stilton

various Star Wars series

he hasn't cared for Hank the Cowdog for some reason

DD is currently enjoying:

Ivy & Bean

Disney Fairies books

Cam Jansen

Mercy Watson

Judy Moody

My Secret Unicorn

Since DD is pretty much willing to try anything I'm going to have her try Betsy-Tacy I think, it was recommended by the librarian but she thought we might want to wait a year or two since DD is only 5.

Since DD is pretty much willing to try anything I'm going to have her try Betsy-Tacy I think, it was recommended by the librarian but she thought we might want to wait a year or two since DD is only 5.

Oh, a few other good-sized chapter book recommendations for those really young ones who are great readers:

Milly-Molly-Mandy

B is for Betsy by Carolyn Haywood (first book in series)

They are sweet, simple stories written in the first half of the 20th century. The storylines may seem quite dated to older children. I have a tender heart for the Betsy books, as I remember reading them in first grade.

Oh, a few other good-sized chapter book recommendations for those really young ones who are great readers:

Milly-Molly-Mandy

B is for Betsy by Carolyn Haywood (first book in series)

They are sweet, simple stories written in the first half of the 20th century. The storylines may seem quite dated to older children. I have a tender heart for the Betsy books, as I remember reading them in first grade.

Thanks! I'll have to check these out.

We do have a bunch of Happy Hollisters and Bobbsey Twins so I will have to see if she has any interest :)

I'd say go for it. DD read them at 5 (maybe early 6?) and really enjoyed them!

ETA: DD didn't care for MTH early either. However, for whatever reason, now they are a little more interesting. It's kind of odd, but she finds a topic she is interested in for which there is a Resource Guide and reads that and then the story and other non-fiction to go along with it. :confused: I don't think this is exactly what the author had in mind, lol! ;)

Edited by sunriseiz

I'd say go for it. DD read them at 5 (maybe early 6?) and really enjoyed them!

ETA: DD didn't care for MTH early either. However, for whatever reason, now they are a little more interesting. It's kind of odd, but she finds a topic she is interested in for which there is a Resource Guide and reads that and then the story and other non-fiction to go along with it. :confused: I don't think this is exactly what the author had in mind, lol! ;)

That is the only way DS will read a MTH book as well. He really enjoys the research guides and then will sometimes read the story afterwards.

They may be a bit longer then what you are looking for but there is a set that my dd loves! It is:

The grand escape and the club of mysteries

The Healing of Texas Jake

Carlotta's Kittens

They are by Phyllis Naylor (Shiloh author). They are about 2 cats who get out and set off on adventure. Dd loved these soooo much. I just found out about the 4th one called Polo's mother. Dd wants it pronto!

Dd just read the 1st Katie Kazoo Switcheroo book and enjoyed it. There are many in that series as well.