Menu

Valentines Day--question

I make pink heart-shaped pancakes for breakfast and give them each little box of heart candies.

We also make family valentines together...everyone decorates one valentine, I write a name on the back of each, and we pass them around and write a message on each card. We open those at breakfast too.

Cat

In the past the girls have been in school where they exchanged valentines with their classmates. Last year DH made us a lavish dinner (filet mignon steaks, baked potatoes, and asparagus) with a decorated table and all He gave each of the girls a single rose and a balloon bouquet. I got a bouquet of flowers from him, and DS got a big round balloon. I gave the everyone cards that I made myself, and the girls made their own cards to each other and to DH and I. It was a great night that I'll always remember. I don't think we will go all out like that this year. It will be a much simpler affair.

I usually don't do anything since dh and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day in any way. But my 6yo dd has a little buddy next door who goes to a K program where they celebrate every little holiday, so she has learned about these things from him. And she likes to have all these little celebrations. So I might get them each a little box of candy this year.

Both dds get a small heart shaped box of chocolates. I get a large one.:D

Same for us! :D

Us, too :D A small box of chocolates, we do some sort of special craft, and we sometimes bake and decorate little heart shaped cakes or make the Valentine's Day cookie pops I mentioned in my other thread about cute, simple Valentine's Day ideas (I put pics in that thread).

I don't buy anything for the kids, but we usually make some kind of special heart-shaped sweet treat. Some years I make a special meal, some years are kinda lean (like this year).

Dh get the girls each a rose, which they LOVE.

The one thing I do every year is decorate the kitchen doorway with strings of red foam hearts and may hang some streamers in the kitchen. I do it after the kids are in bed and tell them the Valentine fairy came. They look forward to it every year.

I started making a Valentine hunt. I write down clues on 14 hearts that take them around the house...like "clue #1 the fun has just begun look in the place where we would heat up a bun".. silly stuff. The kids race around to figure out the clues. Sometimes at a place I will have put a little gift, new pencils, a soft pair of socks, chocolate. I like to give them some of the things they need but make it special. Some years we have given them tickets to an event we were already planning on attending like a theater production, so it just seems more special this way. ALSO a little late now, but I will buy the candy at the end of the Christmas sales and re-wrap it in all red and put little hearts on it to give to their dance, piano etc.. teachers. It cost 75% less and is just as delicious as ever.

Valentine's Day is my 2nd favorite holiday after Thanksgiving. I think because it gives me a chance to go all out with no guilt.

I try to write a note to everyone and decorate with stickers.

I usually hit the dollar spot at Target for stuff to decorate the table with and little gifts for the kids.

I love to play with the food. One year I did a heart shaped meatload that I painted with ketchup. Another year I made heart shaped biscuits and built little ham sandwhiches out of them. This year I am thinking of getting some of the giant heart cookie sheets and making pizza.

I try to invite some friends over, usually a single person or two. It's a nice family celebration.

Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays. I love all of the legends that surround St. Valentine and so we usually read one or two aloud in the evening. I don't do gifts per se though one year I cross stiched bookmarks in each person's initials. But, we are generous with candy for the kids. I usually make a homemade card for dh (one year I was really inspired and wrote a sonnet) and give him a long backrub. He usually brings me three or four long stemmed roses unless I'm in the mood for spring flowers and then it's lilies or tulips.

The big tada is that I always make a meal of red, white, and pink foods. This year will be swedish (barbecue) meatballs served on a bed of jasmine or basamati rice, stuffed mini red peppers, strawberry jello ( I juice real frozen strawberries from the garden, lace with a little honey, and use unflavored gelatin to thicken....it doesn't set up as hard as jello but you still have to eat it with a spoon...although, dh wants me to make homemade whipping cream - I do this with heavy cream, a touch of vanilla, and a dab of honey - and blend it all together to make strawberry fluff, pickeled beets (which only dh and the youngest will eat, we others can't stand them), green beans with pearl onions (I know...not red, but I am a green vegetable freakasaurus so OH WELL), and five berry tarts made with yogurt dough (contains blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and boysenberries mixed with honey, ginger, and vanilla and butter).

I serve the whole thing on my grandmother's Rubythumbprint glassware on a white tablecloth with a red quilted tablerunner that I made and lace doilies under the stemware. The funny thing is that there won't be any heart shaped things laying about. I am not a fan of heart decorations and I have no idea why.

Dh makes everyone say at least one thing that they really like about each person at the table. We read 1 Corinthians chapter 13 before dinner and one of the St. Valentines legends after. Oh, and in exchange for the really long back rub, dh will tolerate a good chick flick after the kids are in bed!

DD is going to make a Valentine's meal for my parents this year and I think that's very sweet.

Faith

Usually get the kids some kind of candy. Sometimes chocolate sometimes gummies. We have also given them a dvd or game (this is given as a shared thing).

Just varies from year to year. Years that things are going well they tend to get a little more. Years things are really tight it is just a bar of chocolate.

We have also waited until the day after Valentines and got the 1/2 price candy.

Well, as is usual at our house -- any excuse for gifts, a treasure hunt, and going out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! :)

DH and ds get me some kind of jewelry. The kid just turned 11, but he already knows his way around the jewelry stores. I'm pretty sure he knows more about cut, color, and clarity than my dh does. ;)

I buy some gifts and candy for ds (silly stuff like Uglydolls, plus a few video games, a couple of Nerf guns, etc.) and I hide everything around the house and make a treasure map for him to follow. He has to find all of the gifts and pile them on the sofa before he's allowed to open anything. (I am a MEAN MOM! :D) I've been cutting back on the candy over the past few years, and instead, I make little heart-shaped envelopes out of red paper, and put a few coins in each one. I would rather give him a few dollars than a ton of candy. He still gets quite a bit of candy, but not like in years past.

One thing that slowed down the candy thing for us, was that I started getting worried about all of the holiday candy that is made in China. I am concerned about the safety, so although I miss out on a lot of the really cute stuff, I only buy the "regular, name-brand" candy.

Honestly, these treasure hunts are a lot of work for me, and sometimes I wish we'd never started doing them, but then my ds gets up on his birthday, or Valentine's Day, or Easter, and has so much fun searching for his gifts, that it makes it all worthwhile.

And by now, I can draw a map of every room in my entire house within about 5 minutes... ;)

Cat

Every year we sort of add or subtract some things to our Valentine's day traditions. But I always get a book for each child. In fact, just the other night we were looking at the ones they had received the past few Valentine's days (I always write inside the books and date it).

In addition, I try to make all sorts of heart shaped foods. Usually pancakes or toast for breakfast, a heart shaped sandwich at lunch, along with fruit cut in heart shapes, and of course, cookies!!

Dinner is usually just more "fancy", and I always buy the doilies and special decorations for the table.

For weeks ahead of time, we will make decorations for the house. In fact, we started this weekend. DS is getting good at cutting out hearts!! LOL

We love any and all reasons to celebrate!!!!

Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays. I love all of the legends that surround St. Valentine and so we usually read one or two aloud in the evening. I don't do gifts per se though one year I cross stiched bookmarks in each person's initials. But, we are generous with candy for the kids. I usually make a homemade card for dh (one year I was really inspired and wrote a sonnet) and give him a long backrub. He usually brings me three or four long stemmed roses unless I'm in the mood for spring flowers and then it's lilies or tulips.

The big tada is that I always make a meal of red, white, and pink foods. This year will be swedish (barbecue) meatballs served on a bed of jasmine or basamati rice, stuffed mini red peppers, strawberry jello ( I juice real frozen strawberries from the garden, lace with a little honey, and use unflavored gelatin to thicken....it doesn't set up as hard as jello but you still have to eat it with a spoon...although, dh wants me to make homemade whipping cream - I do this with heavy cream, a touch of vanilla, and a dab of honey - and blend it all together to make strawberry fluff, pickeled beets (which only dh and the youngest will eat, we others can't stand them), green beans with pearl onions (I know...not red, but I am a green vegetable freakasaurus so OH WELL), and five berry tarts made with yogurt dough (contains blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, and boysenberries mixed with honey, ginger, and vanilla and butter).

I serve the whole thing on my grandmother's Rubythumbprint glassware on a white tablecloth with a red quilted tablerunner that I made and lace doilies under the stemware. The funny thing is that there won't be any heart shaped things laying about. I am not a fan of heart decorations and I have no idea why.

Dh makes everyone say at least one thing that they really like about each person at the table. We read 1 Corinthians chapter 13 before dinner and one of the St. Valentines legends after. Oh, and in exchange for the really long back rub, dh will tolerate a good chick flick after the kids are in bed!

DD is going to make a Valentine's meal for my parents this year and I think that's very sweet.

Faith

You've totally inspired me. I have my MILs rubywear, and white linens, too. :D