Menu

Color preference for appliances?

What color kitchen appliances do you prefer?  

1. 1. What color kitchen appliances do you prefer?

• White
    • Black
    • Beige
    • Avocado Green (how fun were those??)
    • Stainless steel
    • Other

It depends on the rest of the colors in the kitchen. If I could start from scratch and design my own kitchen, I don't even know which I would choose (well, it would be white or black, not almond/buff). My current kitchen has almond color appliances because the house came with them. Black wouldn't look good in this kitchen. Our over-the-range microwave is white, though, because it was only available in white or black unless we placed a special order for almond/buff for an extra charge. The other appliances are very old, so we figured that when we eventually replaced them, we'd go with white.

I'm a white girl. Actually I just prefer just about anything to stainless steel. We watch these home improvement shows and everyone always wants stainless steel appliances and I just hate them. I would never put one in my home.

Dh can't stand the stainless steel look. I don't think they're horrible, but would probably not choose them anyway, especially the ones that are not brushed stainless. They show fingerprints too easily.

I love my black appliances, but the key is to make sure to get ones with a texture to them, so then the finger prints and stuff show up less.

I currently have stainless in my rental and I hate them. Although that might have more to do with the fact that I can't stand side by side fridges and electric stoves than the fact that they are stainless:tongue_smilie:

I picked stainless, but only if they are the brushed stainless. My mom just got this and it is beautiful and doesn't show smudges and fingerprints at all. I have white in my kitchen but I think what is best depends on the colors in the individual kitchen.

We have black kitchen appliances. I think they are much more difficult to keep clean than the white ones I had previously. We're not buying new ones, but I'm just curious about how others feel on this topic. And it gives us an opportunity for another poll!!

I agree! My appliances are stainless but my new cooktop is black, and it shows dirt when there's nothing on it and it's freshly cleaned! (Okay, I exaggerate, but it is a pain to keep clean).

My old fave was a smooth, grey granite pattern cooktop. Not too light, not to dark, not too all-one-color. I did keep it clean, and it also looked it.

My dh has an issue with kids' fingerprints on stainless, but I think it's no big deal.

For me, it depends on the kitchen. In my current home, the house is so small that white appliances look best. The cabinets are oak (I think. Maybe maple. It's a medium brown/golden stain) and the counter tops are mauve (which I abhor!). Black or stainless would have been awful.

If I were designing a kitchen, I'd go with cherry cabinets, a dark countertop (granite or something) and black or stainless appliances.

I hope I remain the only vote for Avacado Green. If I could have afforded those swanky retro versions of that stuff that they make, then I totally would have.

Our old house had the original green oven. Thankfully they had replaced the cooktop. Oven worked like a charm, but was worn beyond belief. It went with the countertops. It was a little too retro for me, but green isn't as bad as the gold was.

In our new house we just got hand-me-down appliances, can you say free? They are ivory, which was not my first choice, we prefer white. However, the ivory is a nice choice for our kitchen, it's not as dark as almond or beige, but not as crisp as white. It doesn't clash with the white trim or windows. Originally I thought we'd have dh paint them white, but I think we'll leave them.

I can't vote, because I think it depends on the house. I was "white" until we bought our first house--all of the trim, ceilings, etc were an off-white (eggnog), & I was afraid that white appliances would make them look dirty.

We did have to replace all of the appliances, & we bought bisque. They were *perfect* for *that* house--very soft edges, older home w/ fresh paint, faux brick floor in the kitchen, original hardwoods throughout the rest of the house.

Red? You mean I could have RED!?!?!?!? :001_tt1:

I know! Right?!

Some people said it would depend on the house. But see, I still think it is a matter of personal preference. My own kitchen is a perfect example. I really can't think why the "people" (builder? owners? no clue) chose to put black appliances in my kitchen. I think white would look so much brighter and cleaner. The black makes it look so dark and heavy. I think stainless steel would look too modern for the sort-of-countryish cabinets I have. Oh, and talk about mismatch! Why on earth did these people put a light grayish laminate top with these cabinets? I guess this person was decor challenged!!

I voted black just because it's what I would choose for our kitchen here. We have walnut cabinets and a black with silvery-blue specks granite countertops.

If I could choose I would pick a deeper oak cabinet, greenish granite countertops, and white appliances.

ETA: We currently have stainless. It's impossible to keep the fingerprints and drips off of them. I have to scrub so hard to even make a dent.

Edited by sixpence1978

We had stainless in our old house. We bought black ones for our current house. We were both tired of stainless and it was such a pain to keep the stainless appliances looking clean. The black ones look cleaner. ETA: We have walnut-stained knotty alder cabinets with medium-dark granite counter tops and a (light) travertine floor.

I voted "other." I have a stainless steel refrigerator and love the look but hate the finger prints. The stove, on the other hand, LOOKS like stainless, but it isn't. It's some kind of coating that looks like it, but doesn't get the constant fingerprints. So my preference is the LOOK of stainless steel, but actually for it to be faux-stainless steel,.

Well, I'd be hard-pressed to buy white appliances for my kitchen. I don't think white appliances look good next to anything, other than maybe white cabinets.

And, FTR, white thermofoil cabinets are no match for a kool-aid packet that's ripped open and dumped in a drawer... no match. :glare:

I prefer either black or stainless, but it depends upon the cabinetry (warm tones vs. cool tones).

OTOH, I wll only purchase white toilets and tubs. Those are just too difficult to match, and look horrible un-matched.

Personally, I don't find black or stainless difficult to keep clean (any more than white, grungy almond, yellow or avacado-green), but that's me. White cabinets, are an entirely different story.

So, does anyone have a suggestion for getting red kool-aid off of thermofoil? I've tried bleach-containing products, magic erasers, soft-scrub, pretty much everything in my cleaning cabinet... and nothing is working.

For the kitchen I have now, I would put white appliances in. I have bisque right now, except the dishwasher is black. If I had a really high end kitchen, I would get stainless, but they would be professional grade appliances. In regular kitchens I prefer the look of white or black.

I really like the look of black and I really like stainless. We went with the stainless becasue the folks that we talked to said it lends an air of "professionalism" to a kitchen. We remodled with re-sale in mind so that was important to us. I like how it looks. Even though we have a "homey" look and live in a farmhouse, the stainless dresses it up.