Menu

Has anyone here actually read the Chua's book "Battle Hymn of a Tiger Mother"?

I liked Lisa Belkin's take on her on the Motherlode blog at the NYT. There are lots of interesting comments over there too. I don't have the impression that it would be worth buying the book--and I won't because I don't think she should have written it while her daughters are still so young. I can't imagine subjecting my children to this scrutiny at their ages.

Also, I have to say I was disappointed in Diane's interview.

I really wanted to like her. However, the NPR interview annoyed the heck out of me. She was backtracking like crazy. I wanted to say 'Own it. A lot of people agree with you. Let the cuddly moms like me have our 'underachievers'." ;) Plenty of us are not engaged in 'Outcome- based' parenting. Harvard is not our goal.

Edited by LibraryLover

I read it and enjoyed it. I'll probably blog on it on Wednesday.

In the book she doesn't come across like she does in the article. Actually, some of it was humorous and self-depricating. It's a story about her journey as a parent and how she started isn't necessarily how she ended.

On the whole, I agree with some of her premises, but I disagree with her methods. Still, I think there were some things I could learn from reading it and it caused me to examine some of my own thinking.

Edited by Georgiana D
grammar--I stink at it

I really wanted to like her. However, the NPR interview annoyed the heck out of me. She was backtracking like crazy. I wanted to say 'Own it. A lot of people agree with you. Let the cuddly moms like me have our 'underachievers'." ;) Plenty of us are not engaged in 'Outcome- based' parenting. Harvard is not our goal.

Ugh, I felt the same way. I didn't hear all of the interview b/c I kept getting so disgusted with her backtracking. Oh, it was just tongue in cheek . . . that's just the stereotype, I wasn't THAT strict . . . blah, blah, blah.

And, bless her heart, she kept misspeaking. I'm sure she was nervous but when she said her baby kicked a lot in vitro . . . :lol: I turned it off.

Like I said, she seemed to want to do all the talking. Too much so. In fact, she seemed to roll over Diane as she asked, or tried to ask, some questions. Interrupted, and rather monopolized the interview even though it was about her, if you know what I mean. I also thought she did some backtracking. I guess that I was a bit put off considering that I thought her trained profession would have made her a better speaker.

I wanted to read the book . . . until I heard the interview. Maybe she made me think that she was really full of herself.

~Just my take on it . . .

Really, it's what I said. Please remember, though, that I didn't listen to the whole thing.

Maybe I liked what she had to say in the article. I think she's a bit over the top for me but I am strict and have high expectations. It's nice to hear from someone else who feels much the same way. Then in the interview, she just disowned so much of it. Weeeelll, I'm not really that strict and awwww that was just tongue in cheek. Stuff like that.

I thought I'd be hearing something like the article. I was strict and had high expectations for my girls; it was hard but I stuck to it; and now my girls are happy, well adjusted, fulfulled young women. But no, she just seemed to throw everything she felt was strict and exacting from said cultures but then didn't want all of it to stick to her. Maybe she got enough negative feedback that it made her want to backtrack.

So, you wouldn't be the author in question would you? If so, I'm sorry for my negative review of your interview.;)

I won't be too negative on her (lack of) charismatic speaking ability. She wasn't much of a spkr. She spoke too quickly, misspoke often, and disowned her purported writing -- which I haven't read. If it were me, I'd ramble, speak too quickly, and make a fool of myself. So, I'll go easy there but just denying what she wrote turned me off.

And remember, I didn't listen to the entire interview.

eta: I agree with Janie, I might have read the book if I hadn't heard the interview. And just to clarify, I read the article and listened to part of the interview. I haven't read the book.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

I read the book and enjoyed it. To some extent I think that Chua has gotten wrapped up in a media message that was not entirely her own.

I think of my own father. He is an amazing man, and father, but when I tell stories about him, sometimes people REALLY don't get him. He comes across sounding different than he is... because you are hearing a part, and not knowing the whole.

I think Chua is similar. Although, she is no wimpy mom.

There were parts of the book that I really identified with as a homeschooler. There were other parts of her parenting style that I do not practice or believe to be healthy (like shaming).

I would be happy to post more, if people are interested in discussing the book. ;)

Edited by Caraway

• 2 weeks later...

I read the book and enjoyed it immensley. I don't think it is fair to avoid the book because of an interview performance. In the book she tells about several times when she flubbed interviews or made poor impressions because of nervousness. I think she was always trying to help her children even if she was cruel in her approach. Her kids seem pleased with how they turned out. I think she regrets her many mistakes and has learned from them and I got the impression that theirs is a strong family bond, with baggage, yes... That's how she had so much stuff to put in her book.

I'm not a Tiger Mom, maybe a bobcat mom.

Take Care,

Amanda

I just finished the book, and while I thought it was very well-written, and she seemed really open and honest about her parenting, a lot of it left me feeling really...uneasy? I tried to be really open-minded about how the cultural aspects of her own upbringing affected what she did with her own daughters, but wow, some of those situations she wrote about made me feel almost sickened, and I kept thinking, "Why?" "What exactly is the ultimate point of going to this extreme?"

If I tell my children that I'd like them to learn or do something that other children don't necessarily do, which, as homeschoolers, wouldn't be unusual, I don't mind explaining my reasons to them. But those reasons AREN'T about being better than other people. I guess that's what got to me---the constant judging of everyone else.

It actually was an enjoyable book, and parts of it will likely stick with me for quite awhile.;)

I read the book and enjoyed it immensley. I don't think it is fair to avoid the book because of an interview performance. In the book she tells about several times when she flubbed interviews or made poor impressions because of nervousness. I think she was always trying to help her children even if she was cruel in her approach. Her kids seem pleased with how they turned out. I think she regrets her many mistakes and has learned from them and I got the impression that theirs is a strong family bond, with baggage, yes... That's how she had so much stuff to put in her book.

I'm not a Tiger Mom, maybe a bobcat mom.

Take Care,

Amanda

I didn't shun the book b/c of the interview performance. I chuckled but the signs of nervousness didn't turn me off.

She denied it. She kept saying, "oh, that was just tongue in cheek." or "Well, I didn't actually do *that*" or "Well, I didn't mean that."

I could tell she was nervous and kept misspeaking, et c. I couldn't hold that against her. I'm sure I would do the same in an interview. What was a turn off what not standing by what she wrote.

I just finished the book and really enjoyed it. In the beginning she does come across as intense and sometimes "cruel", but her intentions were in the right place. She also modifies her parenting style for her second child when she finally comes to the realization that what she was doing wasn't working.

The book made me reflect on how I raise my children. Do I expect less from them because they are just kids? Do I push them enough so that they can excel at something that might have been hard at first?

She had an extreme parenting style that I would not want to emulate, but that doesn't mean that there weren't some nuggets of truth that I might want to think twice about.

I love the book. Amy Chua is honest, hilarious, and VERY self-deprecatory, which is one of my favorite things. :D

Her methodologies certainly differ from mine, but that's something I genuinely appreciate about the book. I'm glad for the opportunity to see someone else's rationale and approach, as well as to catch a glimpse of how her approach is playing out now. She is brutally honest, for example, regarding her techniques' failure with her youngest daughter, who has rebelled against everything she (Amy Chua) was trying to impress on her girls.

A good and useful read, and a book I will recommend to others.

I am in the midst of reading this book right now.

I do enjoy the book. I would echo what others have said in that I do not agree with some of her methods or her extreme lengths, but I do agree with her underlying philosophy. I do believe things such as "what makes an activity enjoyable is doing it well, but to do it well, you first have to practice and that is hard" or however she said it exactly. I would never go to the lengths that she went to, for example, to make sure the kids practiced violin and piano for two hours a day while vacationing in Italy. But I am not afraid to require that my children do practice the piano.

The "birthday card incident" is by far, the most appalling thing she talks about. I would never do something so cruel. But, I would not be totally beyond calling out a child who did not put forth the effort that they were capable of; I would just use a waaaayyyy more toned-down version. It's within the realm of possibility that I would say, "Now, KG, I know that you can draw a far better picture than this and TBH, this card does not make me feel that you care much about my birthday." However, I have never been in the position of my children putting so little effort in.

The "birthday card incident" is by far, the most appalling thing she talks about. I would never do something so cruel.

:iagree:

This story did make me shudder, although the underlying principle (as you said) is sound. A friend and I discussed this very incident and agreed we would firmly intervene if the kids attempted to pass sloppy work off as a gift to someone else--but we would not say anything if it was our own birthday.

• 1 year later...
I am in the midst of reading this book right now.

I do enjoy the book. I would echo what others have said in that I do not agree with some of her methods or her extreme lengths, but I do agree with her underlying philosophy. I do believe things such as "what makes an activity enjoyable is doing it well, but to do it well, you first have to practice and that is hard" or however she said it exactly. I would never go to the lengths that she went to, for example, to make sure the kids practiced violin and piano for two hours a day while vacationing in Italy. But I am not afraid to require that my children do practice the piano.

The "birthday card incident" is by far, the most appalling thing she talks about. I would never do something so cruel. But, I would not be totally beyond calling out a child who did not put forth the effort that they were capable of; I would just use a waaaayyyy more toned-down version. It's within the realm of possibility that I would say, "Now, KG, I know that you can draw a far better picture than this and TBH, this card does not make me feel that you care much about my birthday." However, I have never been in the position of my children putting so little effort in.

I realize this is an old thread, but I am just now reading her books -and really love it! I have been a mean mom and done mean things, although not with academic rigour in mind, but more character development, and I was re-affirmed that my kids don't have to like me, hehe, growing up.

About the birth day card, then, yes, I have done such a thing and would do it again. It is not a matter of being insensitive as a mother, but for the mother sending the message that, hey, it matters to me that you spend a few minutes making something thoughtful for me. I a still hurt by the expensive card one of my kids bought me for a recent birthday, but for which she did not spend the time to write something thoughtful and instead filled it with non-sense. While I did not comment on it, then I feel resentment about it and I think this is what Chua is getting at. I have still criticized cards made, for myself or others in the family, I know I have. Giving cards to eachother is something my kids love to do, so they should know also that we appreciate the effort of the card.

I liked it in the book when she says something about the confidence of her daughter performing while she herself would never have the guts. Isn't this in itself the epitome of motherhood, that you enable and encourage your child to outdo you? I know I have high expectations of my kids and it pleases me to no end when I have pushed them to excel or perform at a level I would not myself be able to.

All this said, then I do think it is extreme and at a loss to have a child practice for 6 hours a day. I was horrified to read about how she on vacations and trips would sabotage everything to get practice in. Practice and public image did seem to become objects of worship, way surpassing wanting to push and see your child excel.

But, her kids haven't "turned out"--they are only I believe 14 and 18. I think the comments here by adults raised in this way tell a very different story:

http://bettymingliu.com/2011/01/parents-like-amy-chua-are-the-reason-why-asian-americans-like-me-are-in-therapy/#comments

I haven't read the book or heard any of Chua's interviews. I did read the one (was it WSJ?) article linked here awhile back, and then also the article linked above (which I'll comment on below).

As immigrant children, most know our parents aren't perfect but we acknolwedge that they're also at a challenging place trying to raise children in one culture whilst living amongst another. They do all they know how to do, with the added difficulty of actively clashing against the different and unfamiliar culture their children are exposed to daily.

They fail. They're human. All parents fail their kids in some fashion or another (so most kids would say), but it doesn't have to 'damage' the relationship to the point of requiring an outsider's assistance to 'get over it' or past it. Most of us recognize the experience for what it was (to our parents, to us), and move on with life.

Children (of immigrants) who were born here, or are just unaware -by parent choice or the child's own disinterest- are the ones who have the most problem with Chua's brand of parenting. They're the ones 'in therapy' as Mingliu says. They're the ones holding their Asian parents to ideals of American parenting, needing American validation (therapy) to 'overcome' it.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that, ... who among us of any parentage doesn't think our parents could have done differently? ... but what's annoying is they don't see that in their fight against the reverse (Asian parents holding their 'American' kids to ideals of Asian parenting) they're essentially continuing the pattern.

This hypocrisy seems lost on so many. I see Mingliu's point, but despite her racial designation she's a cultural American. That's the issue here: clashing cultures. Not the typical me/them parent vs. child dynamics. She makes up a small but vocal minority of people that have grown up in the same kind of family and community. Most of us put a period on it, and move on.

I borrowed it from the library, and had read the WTM discussions about it.

So I jumped to the Epilogue, and thought it was a fairly balanced assessment--including her daughters' input at the moment she was writing.

To me, there is just so much more to parenting than achievement! HOWEVER, striving for achievement is an essential part of parenting our children.

And it's a reminder of how vastly different various cultures are--let's hope we can take advantage of the "meat" and spit out the "bones".

(And hopefully her daughters can achieve some time of privacy in their future lives. I was also disappointed that the husband seemed to have little impact on this whole situation.)

I know it's an old thread. I did read the book, and so did my 17 yr old son. Although he was appalled at times, He liked it, and even thought she got a bad spin in the media. I didn't enjoy it, I thought it was painful, even though she made me chuckle a few times. It's not very deep, however, not terribly introspective. She got that she was tough, learned a lot about herself, she says, and she clearly adores her kids. Her oldest is currently at Yale or Harvard, I can't remember which. I still don't think the main parenting goal should be getting a child into a an Ivy, and I don't want to discuss 'rigor'. ;)

Edited by LibraryLover

I read it. There were a few sections that made me uncomfortable (like the famous piano practice incident). But, over all, I understood and appreciated the author's point of view.

It might also be worth mentioning, for those who haven't read it, that the storyline of the book really focuses on the mother's softening. In the end, she learns that her approach works fine for some kids, but not for others.

I've read the book. It was worth reading whether you agree with her or not (or partly :)).

I liked the book BUT I think she and her husband were (are?) very wrong in the extremes they go to in pushing their daughters.

The book made me realize that I have been letting my kids get away with only putting forth minimum effort in their schoolwork and they are capable of much more.

I liked the book BUT I think she and her husband were (are?) very wrong in the extremes they go to in pushing their daughters.

I found her husband to be remarkably absent from the book. She informed him that her kids would be raised her way. He meekly protested a few times but otherwise appeared to do very little.

Not sure where I read it, but she had more of her husband in the book at first, but he objected, so they were cut. I think it might be worth a read because it's now part of pop culture. I've heard Tiger Mom referenced frequently; in articles, even in TV sitcoms. OTOH, if you already know what Tiger Mom means, you don't need to read it. I don't think it's 'deep'. I'd not buy it's, as it's not a 'keeper', or one you need to mark up in the margins. Borrow it from the library.

Edited by LibraryLover

I've read the book. It was worth reading whether you agree with her or not (or partly :)).

The book made me realize that I have been letting my kids get away with only putting forth minimum effort in their schoolwork and they are capable of much more.

That's very similar to my reaction. I thought she crossed over into abusive before the light dawned.

But the insight that you can't parent every child exactly the same way was good.

And I've decided I need to step up my expectations for my kids, or at least their awareness of my expectations :D . Not to her extreme, but more than what their peers are getting.

I read more than half of it before it had to be returned to the library. I found it interesting, and I did enjoy her sense of humor. It gave me food for thought, and although I don't agree with her on a wide range of issues, I thought it was a worthy read. I wouldn't pay money for it, though.

I realize this is an old thread, but I am just now reading her books -and really love it! I have been a mean mom and done mean things, although not with academic rigour in mind, but more character development, and I was re-affirmed that my kids don't have to like me, hehe, growing up.

About the birth day card, then, yes, I have done such a thing and would do it again. It is not a matter of being insensitive as a mother, but for the mother sending the message that, hey, it matters to me that you spend a few minutes making something thoughtful for me. I a still hurt by the expensive card one of my kids bought me for a recent birthday, but for which she did not spend the time to write something thoughtful and instead filled it with non-sense. While I did not comment on it, then I feel resentment about it and I think this is what Chua is getting at. I have still criticized cards made, for myself or others in the family, I know I have. Giving cards to eachother is something my kids love to do, so they should know also that we appreciate the effort of the card.

I liked it in the book when she says something about the confidence of her daughter performing while she herself would never have the guts. Isn't this in itself the epitome of motherhood, that you enable and encourage your child to outdo you? I know I have high expectations of my kids and it pleases me to no end when I have pushed them to excel or perform at a level I would not myself be able to.

All this said, then I do think it is extreme and at a loss to have a child practice for 6 hours a day. I was horrified to read about how she on vacations and trips would sabotage everything to get practice in. Practice and public image did seem to become objects of worship, way surpassing wanting to push and see your child excel.

:iagree:The bolded expresses my thoughts exactly.

Chua is coming to our library next week and I'm hoping to go hear her, and maybe ask a few questions. I listened to the audio book, which I should probably do again quick before her book signing.

I found the book interesting. Really just her personal parenting journey. I didn't feel it really gave me a good grasp of what Asian parenting is really like, but just some glimpses. I'm ver curious what she has to say now that the book has been out for a while.

She has said many times that she changed.

She also told Diane Rehm:

11:13:58

I believe that there are many ways of being a good parent. You know, my own husband was raised in an extremely liberal, loving, permissive home, pretty much the opposite of mine and he came out great. You know, he just loves his parents, loves his family, self-motivated, but I think that I came out okay, too. So I feel like there are different ways to end up in a good spot. So this is something that's important for me to stress, my book is not a how-to guide.

It's really not saying that the Chinese way is better. In fact, by the time you get to the end of the book, you realize that I -- in the end, I think that probably some hybrid is better.

first of all, I want to point out that a lot of the book is kind of ironic and I've always loved books with unreliable narrators, so I think you have to read between the lines. But if you notice, I'm putting that line in my daughter's mouth. You know, she's reporting what I threatened, so she's a huge personality. But yes, I stand by that. There's some moments that I'm not so proud of and, you know, part of the book is making fun of these moments where I'm in a frenzy, hauling off my other daughter's dollhouse, threatening to donate it to the Salvation Army if she doesn't get this, you know, piano piece right.

REHM

11:23:57

And threatening to burn stuffed animals.

CHUA

11:24:01

Right. I'm not sure I actually said those words, but I would've. What I said -- I think the other lines are -- this I definitely said, which is, oh, my God, you're just getting worse and worse. And, you know, Western people who don't know me, don't know the context of our family and love, I can understand why they would say, oh, my gosh, you must be damaging your child's self-esteem. But it just wasn't like that. We have this -- I think if you have a foundation of love and respect, then everything has to be put in context. You know, we kid around a lot in our family and my daughters knew exactly how highly I thought of them.

REHM

11:24:39

But, you know, Amy, I think on the one hand you've written this book because you believed in what you were writing. On the other hand, I think an article came out in The Wall Street Journal that was fairly provocative about your approach to parenting. And now I hear you backing away somewhat.

CHUA

11:25:08

I don't think I'm backing away, actually. I mean, it's the arc of the book. I start off -- the person I start off with -- as at the beginning of the book, on page one, that is the person I was 18 years ago. Kind of overconfident, parenting is easy and especially 'cause I had an easy first kid. Hey, anybody could do this. Let's be firm. And that's actually the voice -- and it is my voice. I don't want to back away, but that's the voice that's kind of captured in The Wall Street Journal excerpt, which has been so inflammatory, but there's an arc to the book and I change, I get my comeupins, especially when some very dark things happen. I actually wrote this book in a moment of crisis.

11:25:49

But the person that I am at the end of the book is quite different. I've learned some lessons, I've become a much more Western parent than I ever thought, but I don't -- you know, I don't say that I have backed away because in the end, if I could do it all again -- you know, I have regrets, I wish I hadn't used such harsh words, I wish I hadn't lost my tempers, some of the moments I capture in the book are not moments I'm proud of, but I would do it all again with some adjustments.

11:27:25

So again, I'm not saying this is an approach that other people should follow. One of my friends said, you know, don't try this at home. I mean, it's very much just me and my daughters, but I'm very proud of them and our relationship.

**And this is also one of my favorite parts of the interview***

11:27:38

One of the most moving parts in your book is when you describe how your mother raised your youngest sister, Cindy. Talk about that.

CHUA

11:27:52

This, I think, is one of my favorite stories about the "Chinese model." I really just mean this kind of immigrant tough love model. My youngest sister Cindy, 10 years younger than me, has Down syndrome and there was a lot wonderful about the West, too, actually, because my Asian relatives at first said, oh, my gosh, you can send her away. And at first my mother was very tearful about this, but she joined Western groups and got to understand Down syndrome.

CHUA

11:28:19

And suddenly, she got very invested and she was absolutely determined. And this shows that in the end, I don't think that, you know, this kind of immigrant parenting, I don't think it's all about achievement and grades in the end. Those are just jokes about gold medals aside. I think in the end, it's about making your children -- helping your children to be the best they can be, which is usually better than they think and that other people think.

CHUA

11:28:46

So I remember my mother teaching my sister to tie her shoe laces and to drill -- she was drilling multiplication tables with her. She taught her how to play the piano. She practiced piano two hours a day with her. And today, my sister, Cindy -- I mean, nobody expected her to get a PhD, but she is incredibly high self-esteemed, she works at Walmart, she has a boyfriend. She still plays the piano. Her favorite thing is to perform for her friends and she and my mom have a wonderful relationship.

**And she does address the issue of NOT going so far that kids become suicidal.

I found her husband to be remarkably absent from the book. She informed him that her kids would be raised her way. He meekly protested a few times but otherwise appeared to do very little.

Yes, and I think he was wrong - well, maybe more of a bonehead - for allowing her to treat his daughters that way.

In the book she doesn't come across like she does in the article. Actually, some of it was humorous and self-depricating. It's a story about her journey as a parent and how she started isn't necessarily how she ended.

On the whole, I agree with some of her premises, but I disagree with her methods. Still, I think there were some things I could learn from reading it and it caused me to examine some of my own thinking.

:iagree:

I got it out of the library. I thought it was a good read. In my eyes she was often making fun of herself.

I haven't followed much of the interviews and the various controversies surrounding her and the book. I figure I read it, I got what I wanted out of it, and now I'm ready to move on with my life.

Is it worth the read?

I was interested, still am --kind of--, but after reading a number of articles and listening to her interview on the Diane Rehm show, I'm not sure how much more there would be to the book.

If you've read it, please let me know if it's worth the read.

Thanks!

I did!

I thought it was interesting. It was entertaining, if nothing else. :)

Honestly, I think she makes good points. I agree with her on a lot of the basis for why she raised her girls the way she did.

Her method, however... well, that was the entertaining part. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: didn't notice this was an old thread. Oops... Oh, and I reviewed it on my blog a few weeks ago...

Edited by PeacefulChaos

:iagree: I do think it's worth a read through. It's an interesting and funny read.

The whole idea that she is an unreliable narrator and all that, that maybe what she's writing isn't really true, is just waaay too gimicky for a memoir, if you ask me. Her in laws come across as rather hilarious and cool, for example when the FIL suggests the kids learn the recorder when she's crazy to have them be violin prodigies.

I borrowed audio version from the library. I'm glad I listened to her read her own words, otherwise I seriously don't think I could have finished the book without hearing her tone. She is a good reader to, very easy on the ears.

Being raised in an Asian culture (I was 2nd generation, my dad was 1st generation raised by non-English speaking parents) by my mother who was Caucasian, I can say that Asian parents (my friends being a mix between 1st & 2nd generations) are a lot more strict when it comes to school and in general, however I did not know of any that went as far as Chua! They were stricter than my mother, but they still allowed their child to have a life and make some choices for themselves. I think Chua was trying to prove a point to somebody, but that "somebody" disappeared and the goal became unattainable as there was no place to level out.

I agree with her "ideas" but not on how she executed them. She certainly did cross the line in a lot of these stories she tells and I'm surprised her husband did not step in. I am curious about his point of view! The one thing I remember the most was about the Grandmother wanting to spend time with her Grandaughters and it was hard for Chua to find the time because they had to practice ALL-THE-TIME. Even on vacation, which in a sense is okay -- but for hours and hours and hours on vacation?

Anytime my DH or I feel we need to batten down the hatches, we say "Go Tiger Mom" at it, or you were a little too much "Tiger Mom" (though we've still never reached her level of over the top yet).

• 2 weeks later...
I just finished the book and really enjoyed it. In the beginning she does come across as intense and sometimes "cruel", but her intentions were in the right place. She also modifies her parenting style for her second child when she finally comes to the realization that what she was doing wasn't working.

The book made me reflect on how I raise my children. Do I expect less from them because they are just kids? Do I push them enough so that they can excel at something that might have been hard at first?

She had an extreme parenting style that I would not want to emulate, but that doesn't mean that there weren't some nuggets of truth that I might want to think twice about.

:iagree: I actually just finished reading this book - took forever to get it at the library. I think we have to keep in mind that she comes from a very different cultural background than many of us, and she comes at parenting from that perspective. While I personally don't agree with many of the methods she used, it did get me thinking as to whether or not I actually expect enough of my kids--she had/has very high expectations for hers. She assumes throughout the book that they are capable of a lot! I wouldn't push mine like she did with hers to reach those capabilities, but maybe I should demand a little more. I thought the whole high assumption of abilities in Eastern culture was very interesting.

Altogether, it was an interesting read. I never watched the interview referred to, so I don't know anything about that. She did mention a few times in her writings that she is NOT good at speaking.

She also did mention in the book that she is flawed. I think some people read this book as an absolute this-is-how-you-should-parent-your-children, but I didn't get that feeling from it. She made a lot of mistakes, and did indeed own up to many of them.

Next I'm looking forward to reading Bringing up Bebe, to see how the French do it!

Is it worth the read?

I was interested, still am --kind of--, but after reading a number of articles and listening to her interview on the Diane Rehm show, I'm not sure how much more there would be to the book.

If you've read it, please let me know if it's worth the read.

Thanks!

I did not hear the interview, but did read the book... and I loved it! Go for it!