Menu

Can you save money making your own clothes?

For the most part, by the time you buy the pattern, the fabric, thread, and other items, you have spent more than it would have cost to buy the garment.

Exceptions would be if you found a stash fabric at a yard sale or auction and cutting down adult clothing to make children's clothing.

You can save money if you are good at altering clothing.

I think it depends on what you mean by "save money." You can't make your own clothes cheaper than buying clothes from inexpensive stores like Old Navy or H&M or even slightly higher end but still inexpensive places - not by a long shot. But you can save money if you splurge on certain things here and there by making them instead - or by buying a cheap version and doing the fun embellishments like appliques or the like that can double or treble the price if you get it in a store.

The cost of home sewn clothing will not compete with things off the Walmart or Target rack. But can one buy a perfectly fitted skirt at Walmart or Target?

Sewing tailored clothing requires a certain level of experience. But by sewing your own clothes you can get exactly what you want: style-wise, fit-wise and fabric-wise.

I have decided that I would rather have fewer clothes but have things that I really like that fit well. For me, sewing is the way to go.

You won't save money on t-shirts, jeans, etc. But you WILL save money on high-quality woolen or silk clothes. I only sew a few items, that I can either sew less expensively than purchasing, or are unavailable through most retail sources: wool skirts, vintage dresses (from vintage sewing patterns), fine silk blouses, nightgowns, etc. Check a tailor for finding fine fabrics, too ;) Even if you spend $15-20 per yard for wool fabric, you'll only need a yard or two or three (depending on size, style, length), etc. (Pendleton mills also sells wool by the yard.)

Much like knitting-- you don't save money knitting your own sweaters, socks, scarves, etc. in comparison to what you can buy in stores. However, many patterns and styles are unavailable or a much cheaper quality in retail stores; knitting them yourself gives you a higher quality, custom-made garment.

:)

The cost of home sewn clothing will not compete with things off the Walmart or Target rack. But can one buy a perfectly fitted skirt at Walmart or Target?

Sewing tailored clothing requires a certain level of experience. But by sewing your own clothes you can get exactly what you want: style-wise, fit-wise and fabric-wise.

I have decided that I would rather have fewer clothes but have things that I really like that fit well. For me, sewing is the way to go.

:iagree: Great point! We were typing at the same time :) I'm petite, and like quality, timeless clothing. I sew what I can't find reasonably in the store/online.

Also, I must admit that I inherited quite a bit of fabric from my mother. Certainly, I save money if I use "free" fabric :D You can find some great deals on patterns, fabric, and notions at thrift stores :)

I'm a home sewer, but would say that it can be expensive to sew your own clothes. But for about 10 years, I sewed my own jumpers (Laura Ashley style) rather affordably (though frumpy).

Now we buy most of our clothes from Goodwill and hand-me-downs. The advantage is that my 19yo dd and I can alter, repair, change sleeves, hem length, reduce the size of these VERY inexpensive clothes to suit.

A young woman became "famous" last year, modifying one Goodwill-bought dress each DAY. You can learn a lot from her jiffy solutions, to modify your own clothes.

http://www.newdressaday.com/

:iagree: Great point! We were typing at the same time :) I'm petite, and like quality, timeless clothing. I sew what I can't find reasonably in the store/online.

Also, I must admit that I inherited quite a bit of fabric from my mother. Certainly, I save money if I use "free" fabric :D You can find some great deals on patterns, fabric, and notions at thrift stores :)

Yes, we were typing at the same time!

I really like challis, for example, which I rarely find in stores (either clothing or fabric). But I found an online source for wool challis and it was not that expensive.

Admittedly, I am sewing again after years of just making costumes. Patterns have changed, as has my body. So I am reacquainting myself with sewing and fitting techniques. Have you seen the tracing paper you can sew? I am so excited to try this stuff out!

I do not sew many clothes for myself, but I do sew for my DD a ton. I buy from Joanns. I do find it cheaper due to the fact that she is smaller and therefore less fabric is used, and I buy large amounts only when it is on deep sales. I shoot for under $3 a yard (and I live in an expensive area) and I will buy several yards. I wait for the patterns to go on sale for .99 or 1.99 and buy several different styles. I wait for the notions wall to go on 50% off, and I buy buttons and trimmings when they have coupons. Same with thread at 50%. I also cut off buttons and zippers and other trimmings from clothing that has been worn beyond repair and reuse them. Doing all of this means I can wip up an easy skirt for 1.00 or so, a dress for maybe $8. True, I might be able to find a dress at Walmart or Target for $8, but it would look like a teen dress and be very short and too wide on her. My DD is 6yo but very tall and very thin.

I think you can get a whole lot closer than some, though. I have a friend who sews. A few things help her make it worth it:

She sells some few things at craft shows and such so she has incorporated or whatever and b/c of that, can now buy at market. She buys things there for less, not much less, but less. She says that if she lived closer to Dallas, she'd save more but travel costs her almost what she saves.

She maximizes every pattern. She traces out almost every pattern onto something like butcher paper and saves both the copy and the original in case of size change. She uses the pattern over and over again in different fabrics and with different embellishments so that you'd never know that this outfit and that outfit are the exact same pattern b/c they look so different.

She and her other sewing pals and her mom swap out patterns and draw them off.

She says that she uses unexpected fabrics for things when she can get them at a good price. She said that when a lot of interior design fabrics got donated to goodwill or something she got a lot and used them for skirts and jackets. She said they cost next to nothing and were wildly popular.

She also repurposes things. She might have a long skirt but decide to make it into shorts, a trim or collar for a jacket, et c and she'll save the button and zipper in case.

Having said all that, you could probably imagine that she has a really big sewing room with lots of storage, cubbies, shelves, et c. Really she has a room and a half b/c her bedroom is also used to house a lot of sewing stuff.

She's awsome!

It depends on what you're sewing. I don't generally save money on making t-shirts, and I doubt I would on jeans either (haven't tried those). But for skirts and dresses for my daughter -- yes. Regular stores don't tend to have the kinds of things she prefers (long skirts/dresses -- yes, her preference), and it's not generally very expensive for me to sew a skirt for her, compared to buying them from specialty online stores. With a coupon, I can spend about $6-9 and get enough fabric to make two tiered skirts, one for myself and one for my daughter. (Plus a bit of thread and elastic. I already have the machines and have had them for years.) We have ones I made 2+ years ago that still look good and get frequent wear. I can't buy them for that price.

Nope. I used to sew all of my children's clothes until I realized it was costing more than it would to buy them new at discount stores, department stores on sale and epescially thrift stores. The only time it works out cheaper is if you are making expensive items, maybe a prom dress or such or if you have 5 kids that wear the same size pjs so you only need one pattern and a bunch of cheap flannel or fleece.

I have found that JoAnn's doesn't have particularly good quality fabric either, especially wool. I don't think I've even seen real silk at the one near us.

When the dc were very small (think remnants) I sewed. Then I just did costumes. Then it dropped to special occasion dresses (I bought the silk from Jacquard or Dharma, on line.) Now, it's just altering.

Yes, we were typing at the same time!

I really like challis, for example, which I rarely find in stores (either clothing or fabric). But I found an online source for wool challis and it was not that expensive.

Admittedly, I am sewing again after years of just making costumes. Patterns have changed, as has my body. So I am reacquainting myself with sewing and fitting techniques. Have you seen the tracing paper you can sew? I am so excited to try this stuff out!

No, I haven't! That sounds wonderful!! :)

Only on formals and wedding gowns. The gown dd wants, should she ever marry - not currently dating - would cost us $5000.00 or more. I can buy the fabrics from Haberman's in Detroit for about $750.00.

My bridesmaid's dress for my sister's wedding cost $50.00 to make and was $259.00 at David's Bridal and the wrong color.

Christening gowns are another thing that comes to mind. These can be very pricey and there is only a small amount of fabric and trims needed. So, one could make an heirloom gorgeous gown for a fration of the cost of boutique quality.

But, by in large, it is no longer cost effective sew clothing. I still make the occasional skirt just because I want something unique that I can't find in the stores.

Faith

If you're doing it to save $$ there's two ways to look at it.

At FIRST it will not save you $. Not no how, not no way. BUT, if you make them well, and you pass them down, that's where the savings comes in.

There are two things to take into account with that, also. If you buy a dress from Gymboree at about 40 bucks and pass it down, it accomplishes the same thing, but if you spend your sewing $ wisely, you may save $ in the end.

I don't find Joann to have good quality fabric-but for banging out simple summer sundresses for the girls it's OK. Buy the patterns at 99c when they go on sale and stock up. Many mom and pop fabric stores (go to Moda fabrics and find a store that sells it locally) have discounts for frequent buyers. If you buy the end of a bolt you can save $.

I have dresses I made my 16 yo that my 5 yo still wears (and the twin 9 yos wore, also). I don't sew much for myself, though, but what I do sew is nothing I could buy in a store.

I have found that JoAnn's doesn't have particularly good quality fabric either, especially wool. I don't think I've even seen real silk at the one near us.

When the dc were very small (think remnants) I sewed. Then I just did costumes. Then it dropped to special occasion dresses (I bought the silk from Jacquard or Dharma, on line.) Now, it's just altering.

:iagree:This sounds like our path, too. When the girls were VERY little (1, 2, 3), I sewed simple sundresses for the summer. Kept them cool all over, and it helped with potty training to have them running around in a light cotton dress (with nothing underneath). ;)

But now that they are a bit bigger (4, 4, 6), I can't find as many inexpensive ($2) patterns that are easy, but would still look decent on a six year old (a big one). Nor can I find as many nice remnants that have enough yardage for a bigger girl's dress. We do have plans to sew bean bags this year, though! :lol: And I'll teach them all how to sew, simple things like skirts and shorts/pajama bottoms.

What I DO think is useful -- and probably economical, too -- is to know HOW to mend and hem what you already have. Honestly, I know people who do not know how to sew on a button... that is pathetic (to me). They would actually toss out a shirt because it's missing a generic button, rather than sew one back on. :confused:

I think that everyone, boys and girls, ought to learn some basics of both HAND sewing and MACHINE sewing -- how to sew on a button, how to mend little tears and seam rips, how to put in a basic hem on a skirt or pair of pants, how to use a sewing machine to make a pillow/pillowcase. Just my two cents, YMMV.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

As my dd's get older I know I'm going to be sewing more regardless of whether it's more or less expensive because the clothing for girls is so....:blink: Right now the only girls' clothing my 7 yo has are Disney Princess t-shirts, which I have to buy in size 10/12 if I don't want them completely form fitting. I've bought her pants in the boys' section for a long time because they cost less and cover her butt, and don't have anything written on her butt. The next time she needs a dress I'm going to have to sew it. I used to sew a lot for her when she was younger (so she could have clothing in her favorite characters) but haven't had as much time since her younger siblings joined our family and her older siblings started high school. Guess I'll have to make time.

ETA that I do have a rather large fabric stash (I used to work at House of Fabrics and have been feeding the addition ever since, LOL) so it wouldn't cost me anything for a while ;)

I would like to say that quilter's cottons from quilt shops, not JoAnn's quilting section which is sub par fabric usually, though expensive at $8.00-9.00 a yard, can be purchased half price at some online stores. You'd have to choose from their clearance section, but for younger children, there usually some cute things. This fabric wears so much longer than JoAnn's or Hancock's fabrics.

I make some of my skirts for church from quilter's cotton. I need longer skirts because I am at the piano and I sit, well, like a concert pianist which is not necessarily all that lady like. As a play, my skirt may creep up and let me tell ya, the last thing you want sitting in front of 300 people at a wedding, is a skirt sliding it's way up your thigh! Funerals too.....another place that a wardrobe malfunction is particularly disturbing. Longer skirts that are dressy can be very difficult to find and when I do find them, they are always black. Sometimes I get tired of wearing black. So, though the skirts are not necessarily economical, they serve the purpose I need and that's worth a lot to me.

I also make specialty things for my niece such as western skirts, again hard to find for a tall but very thin nine year old who wants to be on horseback in her skirt! Definitely a sewing project.

But, again, in terms of saving money buying off the rack for a similar item, then no.

I do buy patterns at JoAnn's during their three day sales when one particular brand will be 99 cents or $1.99. That does help. But, I don't buy apparel fabric from JoAnn's. If you live in Michigan and want to make the trek to Royal Oak, I HIGHLY recommend Haberman's Fabrics. They've got wonderful, high end fabrics but they run some nice sales and they usually have a mark down section as well.

Faith

I was in Joann Fabrics the other day and started wondering about making clothes. If you are a seamstress do you buy cloth from a chain like that? Or are the other cheaper places to buy in bulk?

I'm a seamstress and it depends on how you look at it. Generally speaking, no, you cannot save money making your own clothes. If you are looking for a certain type of clothing that is not found in your usual store, then you will save money making it yourself compared to paying someone else to make it for you or going to an exclusive store (online or IRL). It will also depend on the materials you are investing in and what you are comparing to. High end? Average? Thrift store and hand me downs?

However, as a seamstress, when I have people come to me to make them something "to save money", I let them know straight out that it will not save them money. My time and skill cost on top of the materials.

I've known some people who are really clever seamstresses and they seem to know where the deals are and are super smart about altering patterns etc. and can use their fabric and leftovers very efficiently. They might be saving money by making clothes.

I personally can sew pretty well but I am an over-estimator and that means I tend to overbuy and have too much leftover. It also takes me a long time to sew 'just right' so adding in time is a factor. So for me, making my own clothes would not pay off. It has paid off though in terms of making costumes. I've made some very cool Halloween costumes and period clothing for a trip to Colonial Williamsburg.

However, as a seamstress, when I have people come to me to make them something "to save money", I let them know straight out that it will not save them money. My time and skill cost on top of the materials.

That is so true!! Even though I charge less for hemming pants than the local alterations place it will still cost people something. I could start a whole thread about people just dropping by to visit and then asking me to sew something "just because I like to".

I actually stopped making our clothes to save my sanity. There are too many of us and I liked to be left alone when I sew. My oldest daughter has already determined that she wants me to make her a white buckskin wedding dress complete with beading. THAT will be a tall order. I've also sewn diapers and mamapads...THAT WILL save you money LOL!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Probably not, but we still sew in self defense. We have an extremely hard time finding shirts that are button-up and not cut low in front. Dd's and I all wear this kind of shirt. (It keeps the gnats from biting my neck when I'm walking outside.)

Also, I love bright colors, so I frequently choose the cloth from the quilting section at Joann's.

Did you know that, as a hs'er, you can get a Teacher's Discount card for an across-the-board 15 (or 20?)% off of your entire order at Joann's? That's in addition to the coupons you get via mail when you sign up for them.

:lol: That's a funny but excellent way of putting it!

That is so true!! Even though I charge less for hemming pants than the local alterations place it will still cost people something. I could start a whole thread about people just dropping by to visit and then asking me to sew something "just because I like to".

I know! They don't realise that when it becomes a job, then it's not so much "because I like to" nor do they realise the time it takes away from either my family or my sleep. And I can get moody when I sew, even though I LIKE sewing.

No, it is not cheaper. I make clothes because I like doing it, not because I can save money. I still buy most of their clothes at Target and similar stores.

:iagree:

My mil does save money making her own, if you don't factor in time, but she buys all her fabric at a yearly sale in Amish country. It's not pretty (the selection of patterns on sale is limited,) but it's cheap.

Also, what if cheap isn't your goal?

I sometimes buy clothing at target and sometimes at goodwill. If I'm buying at goodwill, I'll only buy something that is an excellent quality garment.

Otherwise, I save my money or wait for gift money, et c. and buy something more expensive than target or gw.

I'm not sure I could save money sewing clothing b/c none of my things would be the quality I would wear but, if you could sew and if you were going to spend on a higher level than target, and if you had your game on (knew where to get the good fabric, had the supplies, et c) I think you could do it or get close.

I can shop the remnant bin and come up with some decent things for children. Otherwise, it's $$$ to sew.:iagree:

I saved a ton of $ sewing my own cloth diapers. TONS.

I made dd snow pants & mittens this year out of polar fleece I bought last year on sale. That saved a pretty penny.

I have saved money by using sheets bought at goodwill for 2.00 and making them into clothes. Pajamas and skirts/dresses mainly.

Or altering things I already had that I was going to get rid of. Like some bad pants of my dh's I made into pants for my son. Old dress of mine made into a skirt for my dd. That kind of thing.

I also buy extremely large dresses at the thrift store for a dollar or two and make them into new things for the kids or me.

So yes, you can save money, but definitely not time. And honestly, I really do it for fun. And to get funky clothes and styles that I could never buy off the rack.

Jen

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I have saved money by using sheets bought at goodwill for 2.00 and making them into clothes. Pajamas and skirts/dresses mainly.

Or altering things I already had that I was going to get rid of. Like some bad pants of my dh's I made into pants for my son. Old dress of mine made into a skirt for my dd. That kind of thing.

I also buy extremely large dresses at the thrift store for a dollar or two and make them into new things for the kids or me.

So yes, you can save money, but definitely not time. And honestly, I really do it for fun. And to get funky clothes and styles that I could never buy off the rack.

Jen

Have you ever seen the episode of Happy Days where the "weight challenged" cousin outgrew a dress and Mr. Cunningham made clothes, curtains, apron, etc from it?

no- I never saw that. How funny. There really is a lot of material available in larger sized clothing - way cheaper to buy the used clothing than to buy the yardage new. Plus you usually get buttons etc. this way.

Jen

I hope I'm not being insensitive. Not trying to say anything negative at all about someone needing larger sizes...

When my dd was under 6, I'd make her dresses. It did save money then, because I didn't mind the cheap carp fabric Joanne's carries, since dd would only wear the dress maybe one season before outgrowing it.

But, as she got older, and I needed better quality fabric for her clothes, it got more and more expensive because anything Joanne's carried was not great quality. So overall, my answer is no, it's not less expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Exceptions may be making formals or something, but satin or silky fabrics can be a pain if you don't have a walking foot for your machine.

I liked making clothes, but it was more of a hobby than an effort to save money, because it didn't save money at all!

I keep an eye out for fabric at thrift shops and yard sales. I do buy some fabric new, but not much and usually then it is to make a gift like a baby quilt.

I like certain types of clothes that do not seem to be available inexpensively, like calf length denim skirts for me and for my daughters, so I do think I can make those for less cost and better fit, but I either watch for sales at the fabric store or buy plus size skirts for the material and cut that up to make our own. I'm sure if I counted my time into the cost I wouldn't be saving money, though.

Most of my sewing is in making 'real' patchwork quilts from actual cut up old clothes and fabric or cutting up old fabric to braid into rugs or baskets. I also like to add lace or trim to store bought clothes to make them a little nicer. I also sometime do things like make a yard sale item like a table cloth into curtains or little things like that, just as the idea strikes me. I seem to go through a phase every spring making pillowcase dresses for the younger girls for the summer......

When my dd was under 6, I'd make her dresses. It did save money then, because I didn't mind the cheap carp fabric Joanne's carries, since dd would only wear the dress maybe one season before outgrowing it.

But, as she got older, and I needed better quality fabric for her clothes, it got more and more expensive because anything Joanne's carried was not great quality. So overall, my answer is no, it's not less expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Exceptions may be making formals or something, but satin or silky fabrics can be a pain if you don't have a walking foot for your machine.

I liked making clothes, but it was more of a hobby than an effort to save money, because it didn't save money at all!

I made most of dd's spring, summer and fall clothes for her first 8 years or so. The fabric at Joannes and Hancock and even Wal-mart was cheap and I only needed the clothes to last a season.

Now I still make her T-shirt dresses but the rest of it comes from the store. She is almost fully grown and fabric starts to cost serious money when I need 4-5 yards at a time.

i DO have a lot of fun altering men's shirts into dresses for my girls or shirts for me. And you can pick up great shirts for cheap at goodwill.

And I'm another where everyone drops off a bag for me to sew because I can...you can't sew on a *strap*? Seriously?

I've had that happen too. Seems once someone knows you can sew they start dropping the hints. I hardly ever take the bait anymore. The last time ended up in a lady bringing me the fabric and new pattern. She said, "Since you know how to sew, I thought I'd pay you to make this." Never once asking if I'd even be interested. Some people! :glare:

I think a lot of it is going to depend on where you get your fabrics. I was able to get my fabrics from the markets in Korea where the stuff was made and dirt cheap--just a dollar or two a yard on most stuff that in the states sells for 10-15. We had a seamstress that came monthly to sew for us and would be at the house all day. She didn't need patterns just got to work with something you showed her. My boys had more shorts and Hawaiian shirts than I could count! For me to do it myself, no way. If you can find a fabric outlet and get cheap fabrics, I think it would be worth it to make small, play things for your kids.

Based on the type of fabrics I would use for the quality of clothing I can purchase at Walmart it's NOT cheaper for me to do this.

I do however sew boutique dresses and such for my kids special occasions if I have the time.

But most likely with thrift store prices and used clothing places as well as clothing clearance I can't sew something for as cheap as I can usually find it.