Menu

Christmas morning breakfast....

I don't have any non-sweet, non-hashbrown suggestions.

I think I'm doing a baked blueberry French toast (made ahead the night before and then put in the oven Christmas morning) and some sort of crock pot hashbrowns, sausage, and egg concoction (for dh).

Dd wants to make a fruit salad and we'll serve that with plain yogurt and granola.

I make an egg strata with sausage, mushrooms, peppers and onion the day before so all I have to do is put it in the oven. I'll probably have a hashbrown casserole, too. Croissants, fruit and orange juice. That is all the cooking I do on Christmas Day. Dinner is Chinese food.

I really wanted Cranberry bread, but I've been to the store twice now and no cranberries!

I'll probably make blueberry muffins for first breakfast.

For second breakfast we'll have eggs and sausage, biscuits and cooked apples.

We have a little something first thing in the morning before opening presents, hence the first breakfast, and then a real breakfast after the present opening madness. First breakfast really just gives my husband and I a chance to drink some coffee and wake up.

We ALWAYS have Breakfast Surprise: 1lb browned sausage and 2 jars of Old English Cheese mixed together and spread over English Muffins (6 muffins/12 halves), baked at 350 for 15 minutes. That's accompanied by fruit and and Monkey bread. It covers the savory and the sweet and it just wouldn't be Christmas without them.

Here's a link to Jean's (Quiver of 10) Cinnamon Roll recipe that people here rave about. I still haven't made them, but I want to!

We are going to have pumpkin bread, with chocolate chips. :D (ETA: Chocolate chips are in the pumpkin bread. Not just pumpkin bread and handfuls of chocolate chips, lol.)

* Cinn Rolls (quiver fulls recipe. Normally do cinnabon, but trying this out this year)

* Christmas Porridge (served with choice of: butter, br sugar, heavy whip cream, 1/2 & 1/2, and raisins)-This is tradition from when DH was a child and he visited his Norwegian grandmother. We have done this for several years and our family has come to love it. At first it was a small spoonful and now we have more than one serving of it.

*?Maybe 1 quiche ?

Fruit Juice

Friends always spend the night so we have another group breakfast the day after Christmas. I usually do quiche, but want something simple this year. Thinking of a hashbrown casserole. We shall see! :-)

Edited by Tina in WA

We're having eggnog french toast and sausages. I put it together the night before and pop it in the oven while the presents are being opened.

How eggnoggy tasting is eggnog french toast? Do you just substitute the milk with eggnog? Is this a Baked french toast? I have a few people in my family who would probably really like this? (Not me or ds, who don't care for eggnog)

* Cinn Rolls (quiver fulls recipe. Normally do cinnabon, but trying this out this year)

* Christmas Porridge (served with choice of: butter, br sugar, heavy whip cream, 1/2 & 1/2, and raisins)-This is tradition from when DH was a child and he visited his Norwegian grandmother. We have done this for several years and our family has come to love it. At first it was a small spoonful and now we have more than one serving of it.

*?Maybe 1 quiche ?

Fruit Juice

Friends always spend the night so we have another group breakfast the day after Christmas. I usually do quiche, but want something simple this year. Thinking of a hashbrown casserole. We shall see! :-)

The Christmas Porridge-- Is this the sour cream version, the flour version, or the rice version? Dh is from Oslo; it's tradition for his family to have grøt with butter and white sugar on Christmas Eve dinner. :) (Breakfast is always bread "with something on it". (pålegg) and soft-boiled eggs. )

I am going to do an oven egg/sausage/sour cream/cheese dish. Don't really know what to call it;), well, other than yummy. We will cook some cashew pancakes to go with.

My oldest dd and her husband and my middle son and his family will be here so I need to have something that I can put in the oven when I start to get my oldest son up for the day and that will be ready when we are finished. This works wonderful.

Our Christmas breakfast is generally a bit later than normal, around 10. We then open gifts from extended family and have our main meal between 2-3.

I am so looking forward to the day.

I make French Toast trees ...

Raisin bread french toast, cut on the diagonal. Set the halves like a Christmas tree over a sausage link trunk. A little powdered sugar is a nice touch.

I made these 2 years in a row; I think it is now expected. Coffee, juice, tea, eggnog. Maybe hot chocolate for children. Yay!

I don't have any non-sweet, non-hashbrown suggestions.

I think I'm doing a baked blueberry French toast (made ahead the night before and then put in the oven Christmas morning) and some sort of crock pot hashbrowns, sausage, and egg concoction (for dh).

Dd wants to make a fruit salad and we'll serve that with plain yogurt and granola.

What kind of crock pot thing do you do w/ hashbrowns, sausage & eggs? I would love to find a breakfast callerole thing to put in the crock pot the night before.

The kids will eat the Lucky Charms from their stockings at about 6 am. A few hours later we'll have:

French toast made from Great Harvest's Cinnamon Chip bread

Scrambled eggs for a couple of us that want something less sweet

Bacon--the good stuff. Applewood smoked, no nitrates, etc.

Cinnamon rolls. From a can. Trader Joe's. Had them at T'giving. Yum.

Orange juice.

What kind of crock pot thing do you do w/ hashbrowns, sausage & eggs? I would love to find a breakfast callerole thing to put in the crock pot the night before.

I just googled it - we made one four years ago for Christmas morning (again, a googled recipe) and dh really wanted it again. Basically, you brown your sausages before putting them in and then cut them into pieces. You can layer tater tots with sausage and cheese and then pour eggs beaten with some milk on top. I'll be putting it in my crock pot on low all night.

I've been making cinnabon copy cat cinnamon rolls for YEARS! http://www.food.com/recipe/copycat-cinnabon-rolls-with-icing-17359 I tried Quiver's once because everyone raved about them here, but I'm a pretty experienced baker and my family knew that they weren't the ones I normally made, so I went back to what we liked best. I get asked to make cinnamon rolls all the time for Easter gathering at church and my dad requests them often.

a huge fruit platter, apple pancakes and sausage. We bought several bottles of different flavors of sparkling juice and I may have mimosa. We'll see. Lots of coffee, regular, and I'll make pumpkin spice if the kids want it.

I'm thinking of an egg dish to prepare ahead and need to look into a couple of things mentioned here that I never heard of before. :001_smile:

The Christmas Porridge-- Is this the sour cream version, the flour version, or the rice version? Dh is from Oslo; it's tradition for his family to have grøt with butter and white sugar on Christmas Eve dinner. :) (Breakfast is always bread "with something on it". (pålegg) and soft-boiled eggs. )

Rice Version. Haven't heard of the other versions. Just asked DH and he said he hasn't heard of those versions before.

This is the same side of the family that enjoys lutefisk dinners every year! Grandma used to make lutefisk to go with the prime rib & yorkshire pudding for Christmas dinner too.