Menu

Okay, how is Santa disguising school this year?

Hedgehogs4

What is Santa bringing to your kids that will look fun but serve educational purposes???

My DS9 is getting a huge snap circuits set and Shakespeare for Children. DD5 is getting Little House in the Big Woods to do as her first big-girl read aloud with mom. :D I'm so excited!

Ds is getting easy readers & some cool National Geographic picture books, plus cooperative games. Dd is getting a math book and a couple of things about ancient Egypt. Oh, and little dd is getting an old-school FP cash register.

They're all getting TMBG's Here Comes Science as a joint gift. I'm pretty sure several of things my mom & dad are getting them qualify as educational, but at this point, I can't remember everything they're getting from the grandparents. My parents tend to go a little overboard (they're the only grandchildren).

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I read the title, "How is Santa disgusting...":001_huh::lol: I had to click on it to find how disgusting he was:lol::lol::lol: It's funny how the brain works sometimes.

We don't do Santa (and disgusting has nothing to do with the reason) but ds #1 is getting horse riding lessons, and ds #2 is getting Civil War books and an Irish tin flute (cheaper than an Irish flute, and all we're willing to spend until we know if he likes/is good at it). It's all stuff they want though so it's not really coming in disguise.

This is one time of year where I don't particularly mind my parents having gotten divorced and remarried :tongue_smilie:. My parent's spouses both completely and vigorously support our homeschooling and every Christmas inundate us with educational games, science kits, toys, books and videos. It's actually pretty cool - LOL.

I read the title, "How is Santa disgusting...":001_huh::lol: I had to click on it to find how disgusting he was:lol::lol::lol: It's funny how the brain works sometimes.

Me too!:lol:

But, um, yes... From us or Santa (the kids know who to give the credit to) or the set of grandparents kind enough to buy off not only the kids' wishlist but the one it links to called "homeschool wishlist":

- lots of books to read

- puzzle books - Bananagrams word games, Mad Libs (for a couple of kids who don't know parts of speech yet, this gets the educational stamp from me), Sudoku

- games with some educational value - the real version of Mastermind (we had the cruddy children's version already), rush hour jr., sleeping queens

- art books and some art supplies

- pencils and Japanese puzzle erasers in the stockings

Me too!:lol:

But, um, yes... From us or Santa (the kids know who to give the credit to) or the set of grandparents kind enough to buy off not only the kids' wishlist but the one it links to called "homeschool wishlist":

- lots of books to read

- puzzle books - Bananagrams word games, Mad Libs (for a couple of kids who don't know parts of speech yet, this gets the educational stamp from me), Sudoku

- games with some educational value - the real version of Mastermind (we had the cruddy children's version already), rush hour jr., sleeping queens

- art books and some art supplies

- pencils and Japanese puzzle erasers in the stockings

We don't do Santa (and disgusting has nothing to do with the reason) but ds #1 is getting horse riding lessons, and ds #2 is getting Civil War books and an Irish tin flute (cheaper than an Irish flute, and all we're willing to spend until we know if he likes/is good at it). It's all stuff they want though so it's not really coming in disguise.

Haha...that's pretty funny. the thing is we don't do santa either. i just wanted a catchy title to the post...looks like it got your attention! :lol:

Erm..considering that 95% of my Christmas gifts for the kiddos came from Rainbow Resources, I think it is safe to say that my husband's last minute contribution of nerf guns may be the only non-school/educational gift they are getting. We got ds a set of tools, but I consider them educational, so...

But now that I think about it, Nerf guns can teach a whole lot about air pressure, trajectories, gravity, ... hmmmm.;)

(Don't feel too bad for the kids--grandparents are created to give frivolous gifts.:D)

Dd7 is getting:

a set of Beverly Cleary books

a set of Your Story Hour CDs

10 Days in Europe

Bananagrams

a science video

Ds6 is getting:

Billy and Blaze books

Your Story Hour Cds

a Bible

a science video

Ds4 is getting:

a set of animal books for me to read aloud

Your Story Hour CDs

a Bible

a science video

The kids will share:

K'nex set using levers

The boys will be getting the Playmobil Roman Coliseum

From grandparents:

Snap Circuits (for 6 year old geeky boy)

Rightstart A kit (for 4 year old to eventually use, plus we could use the manipulatives for 6 year old)

Rightstart Games book (for 6 year old who loves math card games)

Other math manipulatives (base 10 blocks, an extra abacus, etc.)

From us:

Magnetic Mighty Minds (keep 4 year old busy during homeschool)

Personal Trainer Math for the DS (for 6 year old)

A couple educational games for Leapster2 (for 4 year old, though the educational games are a bit over his head at this point)

Lauri Primer Pack for the 18 month old (keep him busy during homeschool and work on fine motor skills)

Mad Libs (grammar :D)

BOB books (for 4 year old starting to read now)

And I'm thinking I should pick up a big pack of pencils for DS1's stocking. :lol:

Educational gifts in disguise - DS6 is getting games (board and Leapster), flash cards, cash register from learning resources, tape measure from Learning Resources and No Stress Chess. DS 14 is getting a digital camera with YouTube compatability, snake tongs and books.

Oh, and *I* am getting a pocket chart, a hot pink 3"inch binder and a TOG DE/Print unit as part of my Christmas!

Dd4 is getting the Arithmetic Village books and associated manipulatives (jewels/sacks/treasure chest). But she wanted it from the moment she saw it on my screen - insisted that we watch all the demo videos - so I think it will be a hit ;). She is also getting several illustrated classic books whose movies she likes (Alice in Wonderland, and others I can't remember right now :glare: - ETA, Stuart Little is another one).

Dd2 is getting some books off Ambleside Online's pre-K list. And they both are getting art supplies in their stockings.

Dh's parents are likely to get educational stuff, too. My parents are doing the year of Disney princesses (my two are quite girly ;)) - dress-up clothes/shoes and dolls. I figure it's good for imaginative play :tongue_smilie:.

Edited by forty-two

I usually get money from my mom and Dh as the main part of my Christmas gift. It almost always goes towards educational materials because I love having those extra items/curricula I hear about but didn't fit in the curriculum budget. Dh used to be aggravated by this and wanted me to spend the money on me. I have since convinced him that that is exactly what I'm doing. This is my job, and things that make my job more fun, interesting or effective are for me. :)

Other than a few educational games (and legos/playmobil if those count :) ) the kiddos are not getting school stuff. I LOVE the idea of tying this in, though, particularly with gifts of lessons (like the horseback lessons). That is a great idea! Thanks for starting this thread!

My parents are getting my dc the LEGO NXT, so we are (no Santa here) getting them a laptop to go with it. We don't usually buy them Christmas presents, but they need this anyway, and I think they'll be excited to see it under the tree. We are at the point where the dc need more than one laptop to use, so this one will be dedicated to programming and the NXT.

Both are getting several books: a couple FIAR books that the library doesn't have (we don't row them, but they are good books) and just for fun books (those awful Bethany the Ballet fairy books my daughter loves). My youngest is getting another set of Nora Gaydos readers and my oldest is getting a Bible and an American Girl book called Girls and Their Horses.

Magic School Bus world of germs kit and an electricity kit from Slinky Science.

My oldest is getting horseback riding lessons from grandparents and magazine subscriptions from aunts. (Ask and Appleseeds)

Brain Quest board game for oldest and set of cards for younger. Cat in the Hat I Can Do That game for younger.

art supplies and unicorn coloring and sticker books for youngest, and Mad Libs for older.

Richard Scarry dvds for youngest.

From us:

books, books, books

music flash cards

a digital metronome

a musical scale book

Bible story DVDs

From his big sister:

paying for 3 months of private piano lessons

From his grandparents:

paying for 2 months of private piano lessons

a 7 day cruise in the Western Caribbean with his cousins (who are also homeschooled) - hurry up February break :D (oh that sounded bad - we are going, too and so are my SIL/BIL)

I am giving her a "coupon" for an extra week. I think that one will be her favorite gift. :)

:001_smile: LOVE love love this idea. I'm filing it away. Even as a birthday gift . . . how about a "No School Today" pass or something :). I love that idea.

Our kids are getting various things that have educational value: guitar, camera, puzzles, books, hands on toys, X scopes, audiobooks. It's the only way to shop! :001_smile:

I usually get money from my mom and Dh as the main part of my Christmas gift. It almost always goes towards educational materials because I love having those extra items/curricula I hear about but didn't fit in the curriculum budget. Dh used to be aggravated by this and wanted me to spend the money on me. I have since convinced him that that is exactly what I'm doing. This is my job, and things that make my job more fun, interesting or effective are for me. :)

Amen! :001_smile:

We found a digital piano on Craigslist ... it is way more than we ever spend even that way, but they really do need it (they've been taking lessons on my SILs 30 year old small keyboard).

We also purchased books (M-girl a sewing for children, N-boy the HA Rey Constellation book, and R-girl Pinckney's Little Red Riding Hood)

:rofl:

My son is getting Lego. Does that count? :tongue_smilie:

Seriously, though, he's getting a Lego Technic set (the big crane) and we feel that that definitely counts as "educational". ;)

What is Santa bringing to your kids that will look fun but serve educational purposes???

My DS9 is getting a huge snap circuits set and Shakespeare for Children. DD5 is getting Little House in the Big Woods to do as her first big-girl read aloud with mom. :D I'm so excited!

Ooooo ... brock magiscope coming our way. And LOTS of books. :001_smile:

I read the title, "How is Santa disgusting...":001_huh::lol: I had to click on it to find how disgusting he was:lol::lol::lol:

Well, he did pose in a black thong taking a shower.

but I am giving her a "coupon" for an extra week. I think that one will be her favorite gift. :)

This is a great idea!

Let's see I think just about everything can be counted as educational. :D

Snap Circuits

Fountain pens

Think Putty

Kite

Digital microscope

Solar powered toys

EcoFluxx

Jenga

Sea Monkeys

Bubber

Bananagrams

Playdough

Watch

Love this thread!! Go figure, a lot of kids are getting educational gifts for the holidays!! :lol:

DS7 is getting

Snap circuits

Geopuzzles

Magnet science kit

Legos

Set of Roald Dahl books

Professor Noggin cards

Games (24, Set, Swamp Sum)

Ukelele (already got this for Hanukkah)

Brock Microscope w/ all kinds of stuff

Penny Portrait

DD4 is getting

Lots of books

Magnet board set for OPGTR

Castle Logix

Bookcase :D

For both of them

Cash register from Learning Resources

Pattern Blocks

Mad Libs

The Story of the Orchestra

More books...always more books....

Baby is getting a lot of books :) And wrapping paper. :lol:

Now that I typed this up, it sure looks like a lot. :glare: This is from everyone...grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, me (and DH), Santa..etc. We also celebrate Hanukkah, so it seems like present overload in Dec at our house. :tongue_smilie:

I'm getting some good ideas for next year...I especially like the coupon for days off! :thumbup:

Ds6 got snap circuits last year and they are great. In fact, he and Grandpa have been building circuits everyday since he got here last week. It's one of his favorite activities.

Ds6 is getting legos, lots of good books, some fun science experiment kits that aren't school related (technically)', and a new Bible for him to read himself during devotions. Oh, and I ordered him I Can Do All Things so that'll be a gift too.

Ds4 will get some kumon books, art supplies, books to read, and share in the experiment kits.

Ds2 is getting a gear set and some Kumon books.

They got so many long lasting educational gifts last year (like Contraptions and Might Mind/Super Mighty Mind that they are still using that they don't need much this year.

Is it bad that pretty much every single thing they're getting this year is educational? Except for dh caving on ds's Bakugon requests. Here's what they're getting, including from relatives.

Various books, science experiement kits, excivation kits, model planes, tons of k'nex, brain teasers, guitar, art supplies, and a microscope.

My girls only asked for American Girls and Pillow Pets this year, so not a lot educational to work with :) My sis got them the pillows (childless aunts are made for spoiling too) and we got the A.G. stuff from Santa. He always bring them the toys.

For educational we are giving:

***hula hoops (hey, that is P.E!)

***a how to play piano book and DVD for dd8

***a Dr. Seuss science reader on reptiles for dd6 (she is doing a science fair project on alligators and crocodiles in Jan.)

***several new sets of markers for art