Menu

If you cook for Christmas Eve dinner, what are you serving?

I just asked MIL what meat she is serving for Christmas dinner, as I don't want to make the same one for Christmas Eve dinner (which I enjoy making and using my Christmas dishes for). She's making turkey AND ham. :glare: Seriously??? Can't pick just one????

That's alright - I found a delicious Chicken stuffed with sausage-walnut stuffing recipe. I'm also making a recipe from my grandmother, Crusty Noodle Ring (noodles, boiled, then baked in a brown sugar glaze), with zucchini (sauted in the chicken drippings) and steamed broccoli. My kids want pie for dessert. :D

Due to heavy church schedules on Christmas Eve, I prefer that DH whips up a pot of red beans and sausage for dinner that day. Served with steamed rice and corn bread.....drool.

On Christmas Day, we will be eating prime rib and shrimp, with gravy thick enough to stand a spoon it.

I always make a huge pot of Clam Chowder on Christmas Eve. It's done mid-day because I often am singing at 2 services in the evening. We'll eat it before we go to church and might even have some more when we get back. I'll put hot bread with it and maybe some fruit salad, too. It's so yummy.

Normally we have oyster stew, bread, cheese, salad. This year I have no idea. It will probably be whatever we need to get rid of because the moving van comes on December 27.

:grouphug: 2 years ago ours came then as well. Oh, and my dh came home on Christmas Eve, as he had already moved. I thought it was a great relaxing Christmas, as everything was pretty much packed (and therefore super clean), and I didn't feel a rush to go anywhere or do anything for just that one day. We played with the few things we bought for Christmas and used our China before we packed it up.

ham

Roast lamb

Cornbread stuffing and gravy

Green beans with new potatoes

Sweet potatoes

Deviled eggs

Glazed Carrots

Mixed greens salad

Yeast rolls, cherry rolls, banana and pumpkin bread

Chocolate pie and apple pie (sugar free especially for fil)

Regular pumpkin pie, apple pie, chocolate silk pie, and bourbon chocolate cheesecake

Unsweetened tea, hot and cold

Milk

Water

Diet pepsi (for dh and his parents)

I cook for a week for approximately 30 people and we start eating on Christmas eve or day, which ever the most want to have the big dinner, and we munch on left overs until we run out.

I just asked MIL what meat she is serving for Christmas dinner, as I don't want to make the same one for Christmas Eve dinner (which I enjoy making and using my Christmas dishes for). She's making turkey AND ham. :glare: Seriously??? Can't pick just one????

That's alright - I found a delicious Chicken stuffed with sausage-walnut stuffing recipe. I'm also making a recipe from my grandmother, Crusty Noodle Ring (noodles, boiled, then baked in a brown sugar glaze), with zucchini (sauted in the chicken drippings) and steamed broccoli. My kids want pie for dessert. :D

I don't make the Eve dinner; MIL does. She serves prime rib and crab legs, and an assortment of sides and desserts. I just bring wine.

We usually have my version of an Italian feast of seven fishes. I cook a big pot of sauce and add whatever seafood looks good (or we can afford). Usually clams, cod, shrimp, scallops, and calamari served with angel hair pasta and salad. I will also make pasta with oil and garlic sauce for those who don't like seafood. Add some wine and a great loaf of bread and we are ready to go!

My dear, sweet MIL, may she rest in peace (it's been one week she's been gone) always had ham, turkey, *and* fish on Christmas Eve. She was born in S Europe, and lots of wonderful goodies is simply how it is done.

We have fantastic memories of those amazing Christmases. :grouphug::D

We usually brought a giant 'Amercian' salad, Gingerbread cookies, and decorated sugar cookies.

Any leftovers were packed and sent with folks.

Those days were epic and wonderful, if a bit overdone. My MIL was always happy to do it up, feed all, and then some.

My dear, sweet MIL, may she rest in peace (it's been one week she's been gone) always had ham, turkey, *and* fish on Christmas Eve. She was born in S Europe, and lots of wonderful goodies is simply how it is done.

We have fantastic memories of those amazing Christmases. :grouphug::D

We usually brought a giant 'Amercian' salad, Gingerbread cookies, and decorated sugar cookies.

Any leftovers were packed and sent with folks.

Those days were epic and wonderful, if a bit overdone. My MIL was always happy to do it up, feed all, and then some.

So sorry on your loss.

I think I like her way of thinking. Lots of leftovers for the following days!

I usually make a beef stew Christmas Eve. When my mom has a Christmas dinner (she usually does), she serves two kinds of meat--so turkey and ham doesn't surprise me.

Christmas Eve is our immediate family alone holiday meal. I want the the main dish to be special, but I don't want to be on my feet all day. Dh usually works on that day and the dc used to be doing something special at the church, so a labor intensive meal would not have worked. So, I do something simple, but very high quality. Then I can relax, enjoy the meal and family time.

Our tradition is to serve appetizers for Christmas Eve. I really look forward to it as I love appetizers and we rarely have them. Different kids have their favorites, so we include lots of choices. Some I make ahead and some go in the oven right before. If we go to Christmas Eve service, it always works out well too.

We do this too! We do a mix of homemade and store bought. All year we save our change in a big jar, and this money is used for our Christmas Eve feast. It's usually a good amount of money, so we get extra to have for New Year's Eve, and maybe a movie to watch. Ds makes sure we don't forget the Salvation Army on the way out of the store. It's a fun tradition!

Our tradition is to serve appetizers for Christmas Eve. I really look forward to it as I love appetizers and we rarely have them. Different kids have their favorites, so we include lots of choices. Some I make ahead and some go in the oven right before. If we go to Christmas Eve service, it always works out well too.

LibraryLover, it is hard losing a loved one during the holidays, btdt. (hug)

We have had shrimp scampi for Christmas Eve, usually lasagna for C. Day.

My dh's family always celebrated with gift opening on C. Eve, my family on C. Day.

I am not Catholic, but I usually watch the Pope that night too, I'm not sure why. :001_smile:

Edited by gingerh
Add a hug

Having turkey *and* ham is quite common here in New Mexico.

But, so are tamales, posole, beans, red and green chile, enchiladas, bizcochitos, pastelitos, and a whole slew of other New Mexican favorites! Yum!

I'm making a slow roasted marinated pork loin, black beans and rice, and green and ripe plantains (fried). My sister will probably make the salad and the dessert or someone will buy it and bring it.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I'm really curious and wanted to know about all of you who eat fish/seafood for Christmas dinner, what backround/heritage is that? I've never heard of eating seafood on Christmas Eve before and was just wondering culturally where it comes from. Just curious. :) Thanks. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl